LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Super-Absorbent Cloth

I've thought about that too in the past. The only thing I'd be concerned about is that while it absorbs, does it hold it well. Like if you stuffed a diaper with it, soaked it, then sat down, would the pressure unleash a torrent, lol. If you do try it out, definitely let me know how it goes! ^_^

Another question would be this: Is this an ordinary characteristic of the material or is it a result of some kind of treatment that will either wear off in time or make it not worth the price? An example of the latter is if the material is $US12/yd.

I've thought about that too in the past. The only thing I'd be concerned about is that while it absorbs, does it hold it well. Like if you stuffed a diaper with it, soaked it, then sat down, would the pressure unleash a torrent, lol. If you do try it out, definitely let me know how it goes! ^_^

This is one thing that many people don't know about cloth vs. disposables. Cloth wicks a LOT better than disposables. The fabric is able to move wetness from the soaked area to a place thats not wet, and help avoid much of the above. Where as disposables, especially those with high SAP content, the wetness stays generally in one place and gets "locked in" and there is minimal wicking. Thats why after a while, your wet diaper is only wet in front and the middle area due to gravity, but not up the back, it's not wicking. Cloth on the other hand will wick the wetness to any places that still can hold it. Granted, there is gravity that will draw some of it to the lowest point, but generally, a cloth diaper worn for a couple of hours will be wet front to back with out puddling, unless its saturated, then you get puddles in the plastic pants :blush:

A products like this might be a great idea for a stuffer, especially in a pocket diaper...might be worth a try. Inside a disposable as well, as it will help wick wetness to other parts (back) where the diaper wont do it under normal conditions.

Well said that duck!

If you have trouble soaking disposables till they leak try folding a micro fibre towel lenghways inside it.

I have found that the towel wicks so spreading the wet to other parts of a disposable so you get better absorbancy.

Two quarts of water spread over a square foot is approximately one inch deep. This seems a little impractical for a diaper, especially as the material is less that half a millimetre thick when dry. Bearing in mind the expansion of polyacrylate water gel as sold for horticultural use, it is just possible. The polyacrylate material mentioned is probably the same stuff they use in disposables. It may not be easily reusable or dryable.

Let us know how you get on. If we don't hear we will just assume you are the first person ever to be crushed by a diaper.

I'd love to be proven wrong but I don't think it's going to work as you expect. Firstly, while it might absorb 2qts of water per sq ft, it won't absorb the same amount of pee. Look further down the page at the specs and it mentions the amount of 0.9% NaCl solution (aka saline) that it will absorb as being 1800g (1.8L) per m2. That's um... about 5 or 6 fl oz per sq ft if my maths is right - not a lot!. So it looks like this cloth really doesn't handle salt very well, unfortunately.

Also, as freswith pointed out, it uses SAP so it's not exactly reusable - getting liquid out of SAP is kinda tricky...

Where are you going to buy it - where is it available from - and what does it cost? I would sew my own diapers. I'd like to find gauze material and birds-eye material, like is used commercial adult diapers. If you run across any of that, let us know, too. I know how to sew. I can find terrycloth and have plenty of flannel available. Would more like the "official" stuff!

A concern I have is how safe is the material to be worn on your skin, especially the area where we would be wearing it? It may be fine, but if it is treated with something or a special combination of different cloth and material, would you break out in a rash, get itchy, things like that. It's one thing to use it to mop up a wet floor and maybe something else to wear it as a diaper. Otherwise, if it absorbs as well as it says it does and holds the wetness without it leaking out when you sit or walk, I'd say it might be worth it to try it and see how well it works as a diaper!

Here's where I've found Birdseye: http://www.newarkdress.com/sc/productsearch.cgi?storeid=*0efcb4090f6e1d0c21

Good try in the OP but I don't think that cloth is washable and reusable. That makes it a cloth backed disposible!

Don't know if it was just me or what...

If you had problems with above diaper flannel link, try

http://www.newarkdress.com/sc/productsearch.cgi?storeid=*0efcb4090f6e1d0c21

edit: new link

http://www.newarkdress.com/SpecialtyFabrics-ss2.html