LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Disposables And Plastic Pants

Toddler Pampers

When I got into wearing diapers recreationally back in the late ‘70s, I used to buy Gerber vinyl pants, even though I was using disposables (Pampers), not cloth. Something caught my eye about them. The box the panties came in actually said they could be worn over disposable as well as cloth diapers.

This gave me an idea. I began to fantasize that putting them over disposables implied the diaper getting extremely wet. It may be that back then leaky disposables happened just as often because the legs were not gathered with elastic as leaking from overuse.

First question to the dear reader would be if you like putting plastic pants over disposables? And the second question would be do you do it because, like me, you enjoy the idea and/or the reality of mommy letting your diaper get good and wet before you’re changed? Either she is very busy, or she likes the convenience of disposables but is trying to keep the cost down, or she hopes that keeping you in a really wet diaper will get you to train sooner, or she isn’t taking any risks with the carpet and furniture, or she knows you don't like to stop what you're doing for a diaper change, that you will let her know when you want it done, whatever the case may be.

I've never understood the concept of regular plastic panties over disposables. Seeing as once moisture escapes from the disposable there isn't a way for it to be reabsorbed, so you end up with a puddle of pee in the crotch of the panties, which will leak out when you sit down.

However, a pair of flannel lined panties would solve that problem.

You are absolutely right, my dark finned friend. It makes no sense to put plastic panties over disposables because they absorb nothing. They might save the furniture if the diaper leaks just a little, but mommy shouldn't think she can let things go too long before her effort will be all in vain.

Anyone who says that ANY diaper can be used without rubber panties is lying. Either they have never had or heard of product failure (tape) and are claiming to be competent at what they are not or know better and are lying. straight out. Also the "cloth" diapers do seem to let some moisture through

Now, you HAVE to know that if you use enough diapers, that you WILL have a failure and you better know Murphy's Law and that it will happen at the worst possible time. Now suppose the diaper lets go the wet part will come into contact with what? Now, to be sure rubber panties will not handle a really soaked diaper failure for long, but it will buy time and it will contain small leaks by putting a waterproof barrier between the diaper and clothes and make the wetness spread over the surface of the diaper. There have been enough of that kind of story here to serve as cautionary tales. As far as "leakproof" diapers go. urine is fluid and will find the tiniest opening. so it is a good idea to make it have to look for two openings

Actually... condensation on the inside of the plastic pants from you sweating may be enough to cause tape failure in the first place.

I've been wearing 24/7 for over 3 years now and I can count on 1 hand the number of times I've had a less-than-full diaper fail on me. Generally the only issues I have are the classic butt-cheek leaks from sitting down too fast in a freshly wet diaper... squeezing out wetness before it has had a chance to be locked away.

Actually... condensation on the inside of the plastic pants from you sweating may be enough to cause tape failure in the first place.

I've been wearing 24/7 for over 3 years now and I can count on 1 hand the number of times I've had a less-than-full diaper fail on me. Generally the only issues I have are the classic butt-cheek leaks from sitting down too fast in a freshly wet diaper... squeezing out wetness before it has had a chance to be locked away.

cant agree more...... i stopped using plastic pants as they only aided in giving me rashes anyway.... the plastic pants dont help that much in added protection from leaks .... one just needs to be aware when its time to change.

Well, I use them as diaper covers. Though I've made a few good ones by hand myself, adult sized covers are over priced online, considering how easy they are to make. The plastic pants with prints from some businesses are not that expensive, so they make great covers to add a bit of cuteness to an otherwise boring backing.

The plastic pants help cut down on the sound a disposable makes. Wearing a pair of cotton unerware over the diaper yet under the plastic pants will make the diaper silent. They also help if your diaper leaks... help, not perfect protection but will help to contain a leak. Looks much better on the pant bottom.

When I started wearing adult disposables in August 1981 Gerber still operated the adult vinyl pant factor in Three Oaks, MI. I had been wearing those panties over my pinned gauze diapers since I outgrew Gerber Toddler Large vinyl panties.

What I did when I was not sure an Attends on its own was enough was fold a Curity 21x40 gauze diaper and put it inside Gerber panties over an Attends. Any sweat of minor leaks would soak into the Curity. That could be run with my normal clothing. The coin machines were a block from my dorm which is why I switched to disposables. Once Curity a day did not add to my wash load very much.

Normally when I am working as a responsible adult all I need are slip-in disposable pads which do not need vinyl panties. However sometimes I do need Attends. These days I use a Gerber Birdseye prefold inside Kins vinyl pull-on panties over my Attends.

I wear them also, for me when I feel the leg band of the plastic or rubber pants getting wet I know I don't have long to go before I start leaking big time.

I haven't had the Gerber pants in quite awhile, I wore them by themselves in the 80's back then they just fit my 140 lb body and did not last too long.

I did like wearing them alone, I used to also wear them while exercising loved the way they would get a puddle in the crotch after some good exercise.....

I like plastic pants sometimes, mostly for the novelty, so once or twice a month I will wear a pair. I especially love snap-ons. I remember my Mom had a friend who used plastic pants over disposables on her kids and they were visiting from out of state when I was about 12/13 years old - well both her kids were in diapers, but this memory specifically involved her youngest, Larry. Larry was running around the house, he was almost two, and he had on elastic waisted toddler jeans and his shirt had gotten stuck on the waistband of his plastic pants so you could see them and his diaper above his jeans. The pants were those enclosed elastic amber colored pants. Later that night his Mom washed the pants out and left them drying in the bathtub in my bathroom. I wanted so badly for them to fit me, but they didn't. It was from that point forward that I had an interest in wearing plastic pants myself.

I wear Nice Diaper Plastic pants over my Prevails diapers. The cut of the plastic pant is perfect for disposables, but not for cloth. The pant helps with diaper droop and some protection from leaks. I like Angela's idea of putting in a single cloth baby diaper in the plastic pants, very smart. Bob.

I was a dl from about 4 or 5, specifically plastic pants, and that never went away. Disposables came into the picture in my 20's. Many of us like our disposables snug; and well-shaped plastic pants help there, keeping things smooth, and crease -free. Plus I like shiny things, including leather... plastic pants have the right look for me, the right smell and feel, the sense of being enclosed and things: mattresses, clothes, furniture protected from the wet. Sitting on towels everywhere ruins the mood.

I do have lifting tape issues, and my pp's help there. As to sweating, my side-snaps breath, so that's that.

Oh... saggy heavy crotches can and will pull at the tapes; if you like to fill your disposable to its limit, pp's again help.

So pp's can help in terms of function; but the most important thing is how you feel wearing; if you like an uncovered pinned cloth jobbie, fine; or pp over disposable, or disp by itself; ish all good.

I've never understood the concept of regular plastic panties over disposables. Seeing as once moisture escapes from the disposable there isn't a way for it to be reabsorbed, so you end up with a puddle of pee in the crotch of the panties

That's better than a puddle of pee in the crotch of your jeans, no? :lol:

Yes, the pants will eventually leak but they should contain small leaks without too much problem, depending on the quality of the pants. Wrapped elastics and properly sized leg holes will keep escaped pee inside for a fair while. Also, to ABs, there's the decorative/babyishness factor ^_^

I never heard of the idea of (babies) diapers without panties until the mid to late '80's so this seems to be a Gen-X laziness thing. and even the companies urge the use of panties

The US adult market was dominated by Kleinert's, Salk Pro-Pants, a flannel lined snap on with a snap in insert and Salk Sani-Pant a plastic-lined cloth pant that took an adhesive-backed disposable liner. I do not know what was used with the Kleinert's. The Kleinerts went from a smooth material in the 1960's to a grainy material by 1980 and were shaped much like Comco

• Like 1

I love plastic pants and so I wear them with disposables just for that reason. I do think there is a small factor of protection as well.

What I heard from the OP, though, was a mental image as much as a factor of reality...since this is in the baby talk section, I took it in that spirit. Not that many of you who have responded like plastic pants, so the question has much less meaning for you. I do at least understand the question (I think); does anyone like to hold that mental image that 'mommy' (or daddy) wants you in plastic pants because you're going to be wetting so much?

Apparently, the answer is pretty much 'no'.

Maybe we could discuss more the question of how many 'babies' here either have or imagine a 'mommy' or 'daddy' that expects the baby to use their diaper fully - and maybe at least close to the point of leaking? Maybe just that because 'baby' doesn't have control of the situation, you know you won't get out of the diaper you're in right now until Mommy or Daddy changes you...(or at least that mental image...)

<Snip>

Apparently, the answer is pretty much 'no'.

Maybe we could discuss more the question of how many 'babies' here either have or imagine a 'mommy' or 'daddy' that expects the baby to use their diaper fully - and maybe at least close to the point of leaking? Maybe just that because 'baby' doesn't have control of the situation, you know you won't get out of the diaper you're in right now until Mommy or Daddy changes you...(or at least that mental image...)

I use this image a bit. I have several pairs of plastic pants just for that reason (Baby Prints) I also regularly wear plastic pants with disposables. I have mentioned in the past a simple trick is to put a slim pantie liner inside the crotch of the plastic pants. Actually when I have to go to a function, where changing could be a bit awkward, I put it sticky side to the crotch of the diaper itself. With the more absorbant side facing the plastic pants. In the event of the dreaded squeeze out, it will stop the fore mentioned moons on the cheeks.

Other than that a flannel lined pair of snap side pants is the best of all possibilities (allows air flow). I had mine modified with two small snaps on the inside front and back. Then added snaps to the top of both sides of a traditional baby diaper 27" X 27" which is my rise size. Snapped into the pants the offer they emergency overflow protection in the event that I went one too many and the Molicares dribble a bit! :whistling:

There is alos the question of where and when. If you are out in public, such as a work place or restaurant, then the word should be "zero tolerance" which means as far as the spread of wetness: Stop it Cold and Stop it Now!, in that case you do all that you can. EVen if it is only a buy-time, temporary fix.

That being true then it might be best to just get in the habit of using rubber panties as a matter of course so that you do not have to think about it and run the risk of being wrong at the wrost possible time

That is what parents did in the 1970's and early 1980's unless they were at home or just plain lazy, dumb or uncaring