LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Physician'S Assistants, Nurses, And Physicians

Women in my family have been treated by urologists for generations, so my Mom had told me what to expect before I actually needed such an examination.

When I was young and only wet my bed, I never went to a doctor of any kind wearing a diaper. Mom was urinary incontinent so she always did wear diapers. At home and within the family we always called diapers diapers. Way back those were always pinned classic Curity 21x40 flat gauze diapers worn inside separate Gerber vinyl panties.

It has never concerned me that my physicians and their staff avoid using the word diaper. Once I lost my day control I found I often could be protected by belted of slip-in pads when I was awake and moving around. That was when I myself started thinking about pads as being a sort-of diaper. Currently about 14 hours each week day I can and do wear slip-in pads I make myself by cutting the side wing flaps off Pampers Cruisers Size 4. Many staff members at my urologist's office have seen those. When they ask I say I make them from Pampers, without using the word diaper. I am sure all of them know about Pampers. The cartoon characters are childish. There is no reason to risk embarrassing them discussing the obvious.

What's funny to me is that I saw doctors while wearing a pad or pullup, and both times the doctor (different doctors) called them diapers.

My primary care doc just left the clinic I go to, so I guess I'll soon be seeing somebody else. I'll have to explain the diapers again and why I choose them over meds. It'll be interesting to see what they're called next time (and it will be a diaper then).

• 2 weeks later...

My urologist referred to my diapers as pampers "how often do you wear these pampers" I was in complete shock and I probably won't go back to him because of this i was so humiliated. I might seek a female doctor next time.

Probably grew up in the south. ALL diapers are pampers here

Still, I'm not sure I'd want my doctor saying I wore "Pampers." "Diapers" is one thing, but I wouldn't call them "Huggies" or something babyish unless I was in an AB situation.

Sometimes in more urban areas in southern cities, I've heard "baby pampers" (but said like it's all just one word).

I've had my docs ask about "absorbent garments." During the prostate exam (for this I envy the women... I'm just not into a$$play... especially like that!) I warned the doc to be gentle or we'd get to use that mysterious covered drain in the middle of the floor. We both got a good laugh out of it.

• 1 month later...

The last appointment I had with my urologist, the PA called them "protective diapers." She was basically asking me if my protection was adequate, or if I needed to see the nurse to discuss other options. My PCP gets all red faced when she calls them diapers...and I don't know why. That's what they are. Once, when I went to my PCP for a diaper rash, she didn't even like saying diaper before rash. I am guessing she just doesn't have too many incontinent patients.....At a urologist's office, that's what they do...so they're more used to discussing diapers.

Just goes to show, doctors and nurses are not usually that smart. ;) The word diaper is what they are, plain and simple. Most I have encountered at the clinic and hospital I go to just call them what they are ... diapers, sometimes they call them by their brand name if they know it. They make diapers for a lot of things, but yeah, it's actually more annoying when they try to be sensitive as it usually results in making you feel worse about being different.

Good observation since moving down south I now know "coke" is any soft drink, "pampers" are any diaper...and Iced Tea is always "sweet tea."

Sounds as though avoiding using the word "diaper" is all about "political correctness." You know, schools no longer use the word "Christmas" or "Easter." They are now referred to as "winter break" and "spring break." Are we afraid of offending a diaper by calling it one? After all, a garbage man is now a "sanitary engineer," and a store clerk is an "associate." On that note, I'm changing my seasonal title to "Environmental Educational Consultant." Sounds better than "camp counselor," dontcha think? Better go light my incindiary culinary device (the campfire) so I can cook some tube steaks (hot dogs).

Just goes to show, doctors and nurses are not usually that smart. ;) The word diaper is what they are, plain and simple. Most I have encountered at the clinic and hospital I go to just call them what they are ... diapers, sometimes they call them by their brand name if they know it. They make diapers for a lot of things, but yeah, it's actually more annoying when they try to be sensitive as it usually results in making you feel worse about being different.

I know that when doctors try to "sugar coat," in an attempt to be politically correct, it gets me more red-faced than discussing them using the name diapers. I don't know why, but I can discuss them with friends and others more openly than I can with doctors, and it should be the opposite. Perhaps because a lot of doctors give off these vibes of being more uncomfortable with the discussion than I am, so it ends up making me increasingly uncomfortable?

I know that when doctors try to "sugar coat," in an attempt to be politically correct, it gets me more red-faced than discussing them using the name diapers. I don't know why, but I can discuss them with friends and others more openly than I can with doctors, and it should be the opposite. Perhaps because a lot of doctors give off these vibes of being more uncomfortable with the discussion than I am, so it ends up making me increasingly uncomfortable?

I think it has to do with the "authority figure" concept. People tend to think doctors are these high and mighty people ... but ... they are really just people like everyone else. My attitude toward them is different than most, they generally piss me off and annoy me, doctors are now just tools to me to get what I need to survive comfortably so if they even look at me funny it's like a rat looking at a cat funny. I have found maybe three decent doctors of all those I have seen (which is more than I care to remember) and two are retired. So, if they try to "sugar coat" anything around me I glare at them until they stop. But here's the thing, they aren't better or more intelligent than the rest of us, they just have skills in a different area of life. ;) Think of them as a reference manual next time you talk to them, and simply stop them when they do sugar coat, tell them "I'm not a lemming." It might change their attitude toward you in a good way.

Most doctors really piss me off too, although my primary care doctor really does care about her patients as people, so I try to approach her differently. I have to spend so much time seeing doctors due to numerous medical problems that I discovered what you said about doctors being people just like any other a long time ago. I have actually learned to appreciate that, and actually have a quite friendly relationship with my primary care doctor. She jokes with me, and I joke with her, kinda lightens up an otherwise awkward situation.

There was, until recently (sigh!) a home health care supply store that I really liked, with good prices and good selection and a very sweet woman running it who always called me by name when I came in, remembered my preferred brands, and gave me a 10% discount. (I sure hope that's not why she went out of business...)

Anyway, last year I was in there one day, and she was out of my favorite brand, so she was recommending alternatives. She said something like, "lots of people who buy diapers here seem to like this brand... ohmigod! I meant incontinence supplies, I'm so very sorry! Incontinence supplies!"

I said, "Diapers is fine, that's what I call them," but she still seemed worried that she'd said something terribly offensive. Funny... I bet most of her customers call them diapers, and most of her suppliers, and most of her co-workers, and generally everybody, but they're all thinking it might upset people if they say it where someone else can hear it.

So true, and thank you for highlighting this.

I've never heard my incontinence nurses, doctors etc call them anything but pads. My social worker refers to them as nappies [diapers] though. I think that in their professional capacity, doctors and nurses just feel that calling them pads takes away our embarrassment about them being known [generally] as nappies or diapers. In fact, if these items were not exclusively relative to babies and infants, no-one [i suspect] would have any problem with the item or the name we generally know it by.