LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

A good choice?

I enjoy disposable diapers, but the cost does add up over time and I am looking for a good alternative. I have tried cloth, but I haven't enjoyed them as much, I might be doing something wrong.

I want help in finding a cloth diapers that will suit me. I have tried two kinds a button up (can't remember what brand) and a Velcro (Rearz)

The button style can fit but feels smaller than what I would like like I just have a wash cloth betweeny legs and the Velcro fits perfectly but constantly becomes undone, (I feel the "landing zone" is too small). I haven't tried pin up yet. I am curious on what people would suggest.

I enjoy a tight fitting thick diapers, though maybe I make them too tight as they tend to leave pressure marks (disposable only) any help?

The classic cloth diaper is fastened with pins. With other kinds, you are stuck with the choices of fitting that is compatible with how they fasten. The pin-on let you adjust them to you. Cloth diapers come in different thickness. One is usually called daytime and the thicker onces are called "night time" or "night weight. If you are getting adult diapers, then you need the big adult-size diaper pins. You will also need waterproof panties. I recommend the traditional materials. They have proven their worth over time. to get an introduction and find companies that sell the kinds of things you will need. Go to my siggy, find the first 'rubber panty' icon in the links section and read RUBBER PANTIES'R'US. It is the only known publication that goes into depth about these items and it includes links to diaper information and tutorials, it also has links to the companies that sell them and the accessories like pins

I bought pin on cloth diapers from Angel Fluff Diaper Co. They make them for babies and adults. With proper pin on cloth diapers you can easily fold diapers so they fit down the center to add bulk between the legs. You can also add extra full width which will add bulk between the legs and extra layers around the hips, good for side sleepers. Be careful of buying heavy night weight diapers with many layers sewn into the center panel because they take forever to dry.

Hugs,

Freta

• Like 1

First, with regard to diaper pins.  When not in use, stick them in a bar of Dove soap.  Use this brand, and only this brand.  This will allow the pin to pass more easily through the cloth.  If you do not do this, the larger diameter of the adult pins will quickly cause holes in your diapers that will get bigger and bigger and keep them from sitting securely around your hips.

Second, use Gerber baby diapers, preferably the large ones (readily available at Walmart) for additional padding.  I pin two unfolded at the top rear, and two more at the top front.  These will overlap in the middle, giving you four layers of added protection right where you most need it.  At night, I add two more, folded lengthwise, at the top.  This gives me six layers in the front and middle, and two in the back.  You don't need much padding in the back, so why squirm around trying to find a comfortable way to sleep?

Third, be aware that cloth does not wick urine away from skin.  I actually like this because I know exactly when the diaper needs to be changed.  Of course you will be wearing vinyl pants such as the Gary/Leakmaster brand, without which the dampness will simply transfer to your bedding or clothes.  These will also help ward off the incontinent's arch enemy, which is diaper sag.  If you are comfortable wearing them, onesies are a godsend to stay on top of this problem.

Fourth, never, ever coat your skin with Desitin or the like when wearing cloth diapers.  It seals the fabric, preventing the diaper from doing its job.  You can safely use either cocoa or coconut butter.  These will alter the color of your diapers, but it will not seal the fabric.  When I have a diaper rash, I switch to disposables, which are Desitin friendly. 

Fifth, be aware that cloth diapers are a breeding ground for bacteria, yeast, and black mold.  You cannot simply toss the occasional diaper into a pail and forget about it until the pail is full.  I wash cloth diapers every 3 days, and in summer dry them on the line because sunlight will kill the yeast spores that inevitably find their way into the fabric.  In the winter, on a monthly basis I wash my diapers and then boil them in a large pot on the kitchen stove.

Sixth and last, use the internet to find sites that will walk you through the do's and dont's of cloth diapering for infants.  The vast majority of the discussions that you will read there apply to diapered adults as well.  

I second the baby diapers.  My DL friend Babylin (who used to be a long time member here and passed away 4 years ago) always used a thin adult cloth diaper and layered it inside with cloth baby diapers.  That way it wasn't so bulky on the sides where he pinned it together, the baby diapers could be added in the areas where they were needed most, he could adjust the absorbency by just adding or subtracting baby diaper inserts, and most important, a thick cloth adult diaper takes forever to dry, either on the clothesline or in the dryer.  Thin diapers will dry a lot faster so may as well layer the inside of a thin cloth diaper with multiple cloth baby diapers (which may be a lot cheaper that adult cloth diapers, especially if you happen to find some at yard sales).

I do not use "soakers" or "boosters" because I do not like the idea of extr material between the legs, That tissue is delicate and extra material there means it will take the caustic urine longer to seep away from that delicate tissue which promotes irritation. My diapers are uniformly thick all over. If you are goingtt to wear a diaper, wear a diaper that will do the job. Good, that is, diapers that will do the job are thick unless you wish to change every second time you wet. In the old days, if more sbsorbency was needed, two or eve three diapers were laid atop each other and folded as one diaper. That is why the rubber panties from the '40's and early '50's were so baloony

20 hours ago, Vimboof said:

I want help in finding a cloth diapers that will suit me. I have tried two kinds a button up (can't remember what brand) and a Velcro (Rearz)

The button style can fit but feels smaller than what I would like like I just have a wash cloth between my legs and the Velcro fits perfectly but constantly becomes undone, (I feel the "landing zone" is too small). I haven't tried pin up yet. I am curious on what people would suggest.

I enjoy a tight fitting thick diapers, though maybe I make them too tight as they tend to leave pressure marks (disposable only) any help?

@Vimboof

As others have said, you want multiple of the thinner cloth diapers and not one that has several layers sewn in like a soaker center panel as those take significantly longer to dry.

My preference is the night weight (four layer) purity diapers from adult cloth diaper .com .  I tend to use three of these at a time at night and that handles my output most nights.  I'm fortunate to be able to wear the smaller size (vs their large size).

Use diaper pins.  Adjust diaper pins after the cloth has had a chance to stretch to get things tighter.  I tend to recommend "good" "regular" diaper pins over the oversized "adult" pins that have a thicker pin that gets pushed through the fabric.  I tend to use four pins per two diapers at a time at this point (two on each side).  Finding "good" pins may be a challenge as some of what is produced in China is a bit soft for the metal and or doesn't keep the points sharp, etc.  Agree with keeping pins (at least occasionally) in a bar of soap. I miss what I used to be able to get for diaper pins in rare (local) store finds.

Use a onesie (sp?) to help hold things up and in place.

And yes, you need to be comfortable with wet cloth next to the skin or find something else to deal with that issue.

And good luck finding properly fitting protective pants to wear over the cloth diapers.  I miss the old inexpensive (thick) vinyl plastic pants previously made by Comco and VI Products that properly fit over cloth diapers and had wide elastics.  It is rare to find anything like that anymore -- or as inexpensive....

If you read RUBBER PANTIES'R"US, you would find reviews of several panties, When Comco went down, I looked for a replacement. I found several that I liked, Gary from LL Medico or Mountain View, Cloud from Fetware and some from Protex. I did the reviews of them and others. I wear two pair. A snap-on that gets changed with my diaper and a rubber. The right size of these help keep things in place (but I wear a different kind of diaper originally created fro a bedwetter girl)