LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

First cystoscopy scheduled, help!?

I just had a urologist appointment today and they scheduled me for an in-office cystoscopy in 2 days. This will be my first time having this done. Can anyone share what their experience was like having a cystoscopy done.. what preparation is done? Does the numbing gel really work? What position? Any information helps... Thanks

• Like 1

@Jack Jack

11 minutes ago, Jack Jack said:

I just had a urologist appointment today and they scheduled me for an in-office cystoscopy in 2 days. This will be my first time having this done. Can anyone share what their experience was like having a cystoscopy done.. what preparation is done? Does the numbing gel really work? What position? Any information helps... Thanks

I'm making a couple of assumptions here when I'm asking this question: the first assumption is is that the doctor has found something that he wants to eliminate. The second assumption is that they will have to put you under at some point at some point to be able to do this Procedure. I'm assuming that they found assist, And they want to remove it, And that's why they're doing it.

I haven't had what you plan on having done, but when I scheduled for my colonoscopy, because I'm 50 years old, and that is the first year that they have you doing a colonoscopy, and I think they do colonoscopies every five years, from the time you're 50 until the remainder of your life, this will be the first time I have that done. I'm told that they're going to want to clean me out, using miralax, and our high dosage, so that I'm clean, and I'm ready to have them going and take a look. they end up taking a camera and they stick it in your backside, looking for anything cancerous or bad. if they see it, if they see a polyp or something, they'll lance it off and get rid of it. the. the problem is, that they will have to put me under by putting me on a ventilator, and then putting gas into the ventilator. I'm a little hesitant about that, because I've had them do things like spinels and it doesn't hurt. I don't really want them to stick gasped on my throat, because all that will do is make me throw up.

I'm also assuming that once they're done, you will know for sure what's going on, and then they'll be able to determine how to proceed should they find something. if they find anything, I'm sure they'll let you know exactly what they, And I'm sure you've had time to speak to your urologist, And in my case I have to speak to an anesthesiologist, because they will have to put me under. In my case, I'm going to be admitted to the hospital, because of my age, my disability, and my mobility issues. I cannot be taking miralax in running all over the bathroom, and going all over my house going back and forth. I will have my diapers And this time I will use them for their intended purpose until I am cleaned out in all set. I'm a little nervous myself, but I can't see that as procedure procedure like what you're doing would be any different than what I'm doing, except that they're going to removing cysts from you.

I'm not sure if they're going to put you to sleep, like they would do to me, but I would definitely speak to your urologist, the doctor that's going to be doing the procedure, and anesthesiologist if necessary, and find out exactly what they will be doing. then you then you will have a better idea of what to expect, and make sure you ask questions if you're not sure, because the best thing you can do is to be informed and well informed about your procedures and what happens.

Good Luck!

Brian

2 hours ago, Jack Jack said:

the appointment is only scheduled for a half hour in the office... 

I have not had one, but I'll tell you this - I took my mom to two appointments for them. No, obviously, things are a bit different with women, and, obviously, I wasn't in there while it was happening - I'd have stabbed my eyes out with a pen first. But, my mom doesn't like doctors and she doesn't like hospitals or procedures, and for both of them, she was in there for like 20 minutes, and she said that it was "fine, not a big deal." And let me tell you this, if the first one had sucked, then they would have had a hard time getting my mom in for the second one. So, I think that they're not excessively uncomfortable. That's my two cents. They definitely don't put you out. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Jack Jack said:

@Jack Jack

I finally had a reason to have one done.  First, I have a high threshold before feeling pain, so I'm not the best guide concerning pain.  There was a numbing gel used, and for me, I didn't feel anything from the scope going in or out.  I don't know if things got stretched during a previous Rezūm procedure to avoid issues with size of equipment used, but for me there was no issue for this procedure.  The numbing gel is local only.  There was no specific prep required prior to the procedure (however it is standard procedure to start every visit at my Urologist with a Urinalysis, so relieving the bladder is near the start of the visit.  However my doctor is old school and takes what ever time he needs with each patient, so things can run on the long side and from comments made, I believe my bladder was fuller than the doctor expected at the time of scoping.  As a male, I was on my back.  Having worked on software simulating various minimally evasive procedures, but not this procedure, I appreciated the guided tour my urologist gave me during the exam, which actually provided a needed distraction from watching what he was doing.  (I could see the TV image of what he was examining.)

My cystoscopy was pretty much as described above.  With the numbing gel, the most I felt was a little pressure as the scope went through the sphincter into the bladder. The procedure was a non-event for me.  However, a couple of days later, I developed a fever from a UTI.  It seems like anytime I have any sort of medical instrument invade the bladder, I get a UTI.  So, I’d recommend being aware of the possibility of an UTI and if you get a fever or feel any bladder discomfort to contact your doctor to have him prescribe an antibiotic. 

4 hours ago, Clr224 said:

My cystoscopy was pretty much as described above.  With the numbing gel, the most I felt was a little pressure as the scope went through the sphincter into the bladder. The procedure was a non-event for me.  However, a couple of days later, I developed a fever from a UTI.  It seems like anytime I have any sort of medical instrument invade the bladder, I get a UTI.  So, I’d recommend being aware of the possibility of an UTI and if you get a fever or feel any bladder discomfort to contact your doctor to have him prescribe an antibiotic. 

@Clr224:  I don't know about your urologist, but mine prescribed an antibiotic for right after the cystoscopy.  

Any time a scope is used (LGI, UGI, Cystoscopy), they can't use what I consider the gold standard for sterilization: an autoclave.  The scopes can't take that method.  So other methods are used.....  And I know the "standard" for sterilizing scopes has changed since I had my first UGI exam.

56 minutes ago, zzyzx said:

@Clr224:  I don't know about your urologist, but mine prescribed an antibiotic for right after the cystoscopy.  

Any time a scope is used (LGI, UGI, Cystoscopy), they can't use what I consider the gold standard for sterilization: an autoclave.  The scopes can't take that method.  So other methods are used.....  And I know the "standard" for sterilizing scopes has changed since I had my first UGI exam.

As did mine

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/26/2023 at 10:55 PM, Jack Jack said:

Hi Jack,

I have mine scheduled on Friday. It won't be a cystoscopy for some treatment - like someone suggested - but for a diagnosis only. My Urologist wants to have a peek in my bladder to find out what may be causing my OAB. The flowmetry showed a disfunctional voiding pattern (start/stop) and low flow rate. My bladder holds about 200 mln after voiding. That's about the amount that starts to cause problems. Also the urine samples showed hematuria and albumin (protein) that should not be in the urine. Blood samples turned out ok. So thank god no kidney trouble...

Right after the cystoscopy she'll do a transrectal ultrasound on me to check the prostate. They want to check the size any see if there are any strictures, calcifications or lesions. I'm quite confident that there aren't any serious issues like bladder or prostate cancer. However I do worry about the procedure itself. Both the cystoscopy and the transrectal ultrasound worry me, I've seen videos and it does seem painful. They'll only use some gel on me, nothing else. 

So I'm very curious how yours went...

• 2 weeks later...

Everything went fine. Like any hospital test I've had thus far, it was over before I knew it. My prostate is not so large and the passage of the urethra through the prostate was fine. So that might also have helped that the scope went in without pain. They did put some anesthetic gel in my penis some 5 minutes before the urologist came in. The nurse was also talking to me the whole time. I think they do that on purpose to distract and relax you a bit. Unfortunately the urine was quite cloudy. They had to extract the urine through the scope (in total they took around 250 ml out). That was a bit awkward to feel. I could feel that they were pulling the urine out and the bladder had to accommodate. Also the turning of the scope was a bit uncomfortable. 

The same goes for the transrectal ultrasound. She first entered a finger in my rectum but that wasn't painful at all. The transducer of the ultrasound was bigger but they also put a lot of gel on it. It was a bit uncomfortable when they pushed it in deeper to see the highest part of the prostate. But also this was over before I knew it. 

My next visit will be an urodynamic test. The prostate is not the problem, most likely the bladder is. The TRUS (transrectal ultrasound) showed that my bladder wall is very thick. That might explain some of my incontinence problems. However to really understand what's going on I'll have to get the UDO. This is a much longer test. The nurse said they take around 1,5 hrs in stead of 10 mins for a TRUS or cystoscopy.

• 2 months later...
On 1/27/2023 at 6:38 AM, zzyzx said:

@Jack Jack

I don't know if things got stretched during a previous Rezūm procedure to avoid issues with size of equipment used, but for me there was no issue for this procedure. 

Hi Jack,

did the Rezum treadment worked well for you and does the flow values get better afterwards and how much? I‘m pretty interested in results because I‘m also think about to apply for this procedure in stead of TURP. It seems that there not that many people out who have personal experience with it - especially if it it comes to the longterm effect.  

So I would be happy if you can tell me a little more about your experience with it.

THX

Michael 

13 hours ago, mick_dl said:

Hi Jack,

did the Rezum treadment worked well for you and does the flow values get better afterwards and how much? I‘m pretty interested in results because I‘m also think about to apply for this procedure in stead of TURP. It seems that there not that many people out who have personal experience with it - especially if it it comes to the longterm effect.  

So I would be happy if you can tell me a little more about your experience with it.

THX

Michael 

@mick_dl: I'm the one mentioned the Rezūm procedure above.  In my opinion at the age I had it at, and it appears (based on display age, which maybe you haven't adjusted since you joined), that both of us are still on the younger side for BPH - i.e. early onset.  For me, I definitely preferred Rezūm over the more standard TURP procedure.  There are also some other alternatives that are also minimally evasive.  Note that if you have a higher risk of cancer, the Rezūm procedure does not provide a tissue sample to test for cancer.

At the time I had the procedure, the initial 2 year analysis of the original experimental studies had just been published, and the procedure was just approved for "normal" usage.  For the Urology clinic I was at, the doctor said that they had performed about 100 of the procedures, and my doctor had performed about 15 prior to mine, and clinic was not part of the experimental study.  At that time, the procedure code (that the insurances want to let you know if they cover a procedure or not, etc.) was just being assigned while I was working on getting approval (from insurance) for the procedure....  Since then, the five year follow up of the original study has been published, so there are numbers available for how many of the first round needed additional follow up procedures in the first five years. 

For me, there was definitely improvement in flow, once a few (2 or 3) months passed, which is time needed to permit the body to absorb the killed off tissue.  For just under the week after the procedure, a catheter was left in to allow for healing and then removed.  I had some minor bleeding initially, probably from something stretched or torn while getting the device down to where it was needed.  Nothing major, and cleared reasonably quickly.  While using the catheter I was able to work from home.

The main problem I had was prior to the procedure, my bladder capacity had already shrunk from the issues of the reduced urination flow from BPH.  I partially recovered capacity after the procedure (along with a perceived better flow rate), possibly in part with the help of being on Mybetric (sp?) for a year after the procedure.  After that, my insurance dropped coverage of Mybetric and I went off that medicine. 

Prior to the impact of BPH I had above average functional bladder capacity.  After retraining I managed to get back to about 2/3's of my prior functional bladder capacity.  I think I'm down to about 1/2 my prior functional bladder capacity at this time, which may indicate slight regrowth of the prostate.  Even my current functional capacity would be considered in "normal" range.

I do have some  daytime light leakage, I believe from (a) occasional (very) strong urges on a fuller bladder and (b) post mictriction drip.  The post mictrition drop was present prior to the Rezūm procedure.  I feel these (minor negative) results are minimal compared to the potential outcomes from the TURP procedure.  And my issues with how I sense things (independent of BPH) I believe contributes to the issues with strong urges.

Feel free to ask more questions, here, in a new thread or on https://incont.org/  .

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...
On 5/19/2023 at 10:41 PM, zzyzx said:

@mick_dl: I'm the one mentioned the Rezūm procedure above.  In my opinion at the age I had it at, and it appears (based on display age, which maybe you haven't adjusted since you joined), that both of us are still on the younger side for BPH - i.e. early onset.  For me, I definitely preferred Rezūm over the more standard TURP procedure.  There are also some other alternatives that are also minimally evasive.  Note that if you have a higher risk of cancer, the Rezūm procedure does not provide a tissue sample to test for cancer.

At the time I had the procedure, the initial 2 year analysis of the original experimental studies had just been published, and the procedure was just approved for "normal" usage.  For the Urology clinic I was at, the doctor said that they had performed about 100 of the procedures, and my doctor had performed about 15 prior to mine, and clinic was not part of the experimental study.  At that time, the procedure code (that the insurances want to let you know if they cover a procedure or not, etc.) was just being assigned while I was working on getting approval (from insurance) for the procedure....  Since then, the five year follow up of the original study has been published, so there are numbers available for how many of the first round needed additional follow up procedures in the first five years. 

For me, there was definitely improvement in flow, once a few (2 or 3) months passed, which is time needed to permit the body to absorb the killed off tissue.  For just under the week after the procedure, a catheter was left in to allow for healing and then removed.  I had some minor bleeding initially, probably from something stretched or torn while getting the device down to where it was needed.  Nothing major, and cleared reasonably quickly.  While using the catheter I was able to work from home.

The main problem I had was prior to the procedure, my bladder capacity had already shrunk from the issues of the reduced urination flow from BPH.  I partially recovered capacity after the procedure (along with a perceived better flow rate), possibly in part with the help of being on Mybetric (sp?) for a year after the procedure.  After that, my insurance dropped coverage of Mybetric and I went off that medicine. 

Prior to the impact of BPH I had above average functional bladder capacity.  After retraining I managed to get back to about 2/3's of my prior functional bladder capacity.  I think I'm down to about 1/2 my prior functional bladder capacity at this time, which may indicate slight regrowth of the prostate.  Even my current functional capacity would be considered in "normal" range.

I do have some  daytime light leakage, I believe from (a) occasional (very) strong urges on a fuller bladder and (b) post mictriction drip.  The post mictrition drop was present prior to the Rezūm procedure.  I feel these (minor negative) results are minimal compared to the potential outcomes from the TURP procedure.  And my issues with how I sense things (independent of BPH) I believe contributes to the issues with strong urges.

Feel free to ask more questions, here, in a new thread or on https://incont.org/  .

What's BPH

1 minute ago, PlstkBakdnghtnday said:

What's BPH

Google is your friend: benign prostatic hyperplasia

Basically an enlarged prostate.  When it grows around the urethra, well, you get some blockage....