LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Ugh, not again

DailyDi

Car won't start again. We've been running it every week, but it seems like every time the temperature drops the battery dies, and we've been through 4 batteries! Hope it takes a jump this time, I can't afford another battery.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

That sucks Mikey. I know how it can be. Maybe, if you could possibly get a small trickle charger at some point, it might help keep your battery in better shape. At least when you think, it will be sitting for a time not running. With an old battery and car, you need to run it at least 15 minutes per week, maybe more in colder weather, to keep the battery in good condition. 
I wish you luck with it ?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, DailyDi said:

Car won't start again. We've been running it every week, but it seems like every time the temperature drops the battery dies, and we've been through 4 batteries! Hope it takes a jump this time, I can't afford another battery.

Oh no that sounds annoying

Are you sure it's temperature killing battery? could it be the alarm? 

• Like 2

Definitely recommend getting a trickle charger if nothing else to keep the battery warm which is often enough. Also check your charging system. Another item of note is if you are only starting and running the car without driving it the alternator may not spin fast enough to maintain the battery charge. Hope this helps.

• Like 4

I tried a trickle charger it didn't help. There's still a gremlin slowly draining the battery when it sits, but we have been making sure to run the car every couple of days.

2 minutes ago, DailyDi said:

I tried a trickle charger it didn't help. There's still a gremlin slowly draining the battery when it sits, but we have been making sure to run the car every couple of days.

We were able to get it jump started. Thank goodness at least for free roadside assistance.

• Like 4

That's really annoying.  It's called "parasitic drain" where some gremlin continues to drink power even though the car is shutdown.  I fixed it on one of my kid's cars and it turned out to be mis-wired aftermarket trailer brakes.

You should be able to hold the line by keeping the trickle charger connected when you're not using the car but that's a PITA.

If you don't use the trickle charge and you flatten the battery, the bonus prize you get is your battery will go to an early grave.  Car batteries are not designed for "deep cycle" use (discharging to near-flat condition) and when it happens to them, it actually damages them.  If you're on battery #4, you've already got this nailed ?

The only other brain-fart I have on this is that I once owned a BMW that did something similar and the problem turned out to be I was not locking it overnight (because it was in my lock-up garage).  It turned out that the BMW was too smart for its own good and did not fully shutdown when it wasn't locked.  This left a pile of parasitic load on the battery.

Or, it could just be because Jeep...

• Like 1

If the dealer couldn't fix it and it's still within warranty period, consider pursuing "lemon law".   You've had it in at least 2 times if I recall?   That's an abnormal situation with a fairly new vehicle.  Don't let them try to tell you that it happens with all of the modern computers.  You should be able to leave it for many weeks without discharging.

• Like 3

You have been having problems with the battery and Jeep for a while now.  Seems like as many times as you have taken it to the dealership they haven't been able to find the problem.  4 batteries tells me it's not the battery but something draining them.  I'd investigate the lemon law as Crinklz Cat suggested.  I've lived in Michigan all my life and have gone out to go to work in minus 2 degrees Fahrenheit many a morning and had no problem with my Jeep Grand Cherokees starting, and I have had 3 Jeeps since 1995.  Something has to be slowly draining your battery. 

On my sports car the electric antenna will not shut off (it's only supposed to operate when the radio is on), so I disconnect the battery cable when not driving it.  I very rarely drive it, maybe a couple times in summer.  It would be a pain to have to disconnect the battery cable and reconnect it every time you need to drive, but maybe investigate a cut off switch that you can install that will cut off power from the battery.  Turn it on and off each time you have to go anywhere, just like shutting off your ignition and removing the key. 

https://www.harborfreight.com/battery-disconnect-switch-97853.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=12144811130&campaignid=12144811130&utm_content=117789317478&adsetid=117789317478&product=97853&store=583&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkciV5M2P_AIVdRTUAR1W8QMqEAQYASABEgKi1vD_BwE