LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Facebook got me again

Last I was on facebook, you could set who sees what in your settings, but even then, if someone wanted to see everything you were doing, they just had to subscribe. I actually left because my experience devolved into spending hours going through memes and that really took away from my study time.

You don't even need to be a Facebook member to be tracked by Facebook.  They're quite shady, using "invisible pixels" and cookies to spot the same entity using the web from different places irrespective of whether or not they are Facebook users, let alone if they are logged in to Facebook.  It doesn't take long for their analytics to link you from one space to another.

Blocking cookies helps (for now) although the horse has bolted in your case.  Adblockers can help.  Even so, there is "fingerprinting" technology out there to derive a kind of internet "fingerprint" of an individual and then track their use.  They won't know YOU but they'll know where you've been and hopefully, what they might be able to sell you.

There's an old saying for freebie web services: if you're not paying for the product, YOU are the product.

It's annoying (and potentially embarrassing) at times.  YouTube on the family TV went through a phase of bombarding me with incontinence product ads until I cleaned things up.  At least Google lets you do that.

• Like 2

2 things, I use duckduckgo for fartbook, and here, PLUS I clear my history when finished playing /surfing ect, so nothing unexpected shows up where I dont want it. Diaper adds dont show up, unless I didn't clear / delete my history ?? so you might look into that proces to avoid the unwanted diaper adds on your vanilla fartbook place... ??

• Like 1
3 hours ago, oznl said:

You don't even need to be a Facebook member to be tracked by Facebook.  They're quite shady, using "invisible pixels" and cookies to spot the same entity using the web from different places irrespective of whether or not they are Facebook users, let alone if they are logged in to Facebook.  It doesn't take long for their analytics to link you from one space to another.

Blocking cookies helps (for now) although the horse has bolted in your case.  Adblockers can help.  Even so, there is "fingerprinting" technology out there to derive a kind of internet "fingerprint" of an individual and then track their use.  They won't know YOU but they'll know where you've been and hopefully, what they might be able to sell you.

There's an old saying for freebie web services: if you're not paying for the product, YOU are the product.

It's annoying (and potentially embarrassing) at times.  YouTube on the family TV went through a phase of bombarding me with incontinence product ads until I cleaned things up.  At least Google lets you do that.

They also track your activity through the Facebook like/share buttons spread across almost every website, whether you're logged in or not.

This is also not mentioning the most obvious way to make sure you're the same person across accounts, your IP address and various device characteristics. Chances are if you are on the same device with the same IP as just logged on to that other Facebook account, you're probably the owner of both accounts.

Facebook app is also known to have a shitload of invasive permissions, so if you're using the app to log in to both accounts it'd be super easy for them to go: "same phone, same app, different account...same guy."

• Like 1

This sub topic that is going on about being tracked really makes me want to go off on a rant about hyper capitalism, but I think that would derail the topic even further and could cause an unhealthy debate :D

But it is mental how cookies work and what info a company can get from them. I have worked in sales for tech companies for the last 15 years (I am not good at it though haha too honest) and some of the bigger companies that I worked for would generate cold leads for us to work through by grabbing the data off of anyone who accessed their site. If you clicked into the site the company would then look at you other cookies and pull you name, address, email, phone number and company you worked for. I have always been B2B so personal emails would not be put on my data list but christ it was mental what they could get. They could do this by the fact that most people when they log into a site will click accept all cookies so that gives "permission" 

There are ways to minimize what is captured about you such as what others have said like using duck duck go, and I think Firefox is a good one to keep you save but I think you need extensions to get the best out of it. Two big things I would recommend is if using anything google go into your google account and in security settings disable 3rd party cookies (These are the naughty ones) and then if you are ever prompted to accept cookies when you access a website don't hit accept all, you should be able to decide which ones to accept, there should be some option but the language changes. Anyway find the option to choose the cookies and disable 3rd party. The first party ones should be ok. 

3 hours ago, kasarberang said:

This is also not mentioning the most obvious way to make sure you're the same person across accounts, your IP address and various device characteristics. Chances are if you are on the same device with the same IP as just logged on to that other Facebook account, you're probably the owner of both accounts.

Yeah, that's the "fingerprinting"  thing I mentioned.  I didn't want to dive too deep on a non-geek site but you are correct.  If you hash a bunch of auto-disclosed metadata from a specific client, you can create a unique ID that is trackable.

• Like 1

Long ago I got into the habit of always using an incognito window for sites like this, and only from the desktop, never from my phone. I very seldom see anything abdl-related on facebook, which is good since I'm on there often. The other way I maintain separation is to have facebook only on the desktop - I don't have their app on my phone at all - they know way enough about me without that. I do see occasional ads for generic adult diapers or prostate pills on fb, but it seems to me to be related to my 82-uear-old age, and I see such ads just as often on tv.

I dont do any of the cookie stuff. I either ignore it and work around the request banner, or if it is really obnoxious, I close that window or tab, and go somewhere else. I also use firefox, duckduckgo, and incognito windows...hopefully it should be enough to tell them to bugger off!! ??