LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Cath or no?

Veg

I've heard some people on here say that wearing (and changing as needed) a foley catheter for a few months and then takeing it out left them incontinent perminently, though others have said this doesn't work at all. Anyone know if this works or not for sure?

I heard of similar stories and I think it can be different form person to person. I can only tell you about my own experience and how thing come about with me. I’ve been using catheters and stents for well over 15 years now. I started out with catheters but it wasn’t real enough for me. After a year maybe a year and a half I turned to stents and once I felt comfortable with using them I started to use them 24/7, I only take them out to clean. Even after all these years I am still continent so if I take it out things will start to normalize. Sometimes it will be normal within hours and sometimes it will take longer why that is I do not really know I do have my thoughts about it but I think it is less important.

I’m currently looking into diving into this. Although I have had a 22, 18, and 16 in to simulate incontinence, I’ve taken them out after about a week. From what I’m seeing, you’ll have to keep a catheter in (obviously changing when needed) for a good 6 months to allow the sphincter to be stretched out enough to not return back. Better with larger sizes as the stretch is more. But to brink at a good amount of cranberry juice everyday. 40-50 ozs. I’m debating on trying this method right now. 

@Billy987

Got it, do you know if using the same size (like 12 fr, nothing bigger will fit for myself) will be fine for the full 6 months (with changing as needed) or should one aim to ramp up the size over time?

You could always try sticking with the same size for a few weeks and see how you tolerate constant catheter use, and once you're comfortable you can try going up a size and see how that works for you. Every body is different, so what works for one person/ what's comfortable for them might not be for another person. All I can offer is to say experiment and find out what works for you. Also I'd recommend reading up a bit on extended catheter use from the medical field- just so you're aware of potential problems, the signs of the problems, etc and you might be either able to reduce the chances of said problems/ avoid them all together/ or know when to seek medical attention if necessary. This isn't to dissuade anyone- pursue your goals, whatever they are, but in as safe a manner as possible. 

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, Veg said:

@Billy987

Got it, do you know if using the same size (like 12 fr, nothing bigger will fit for myself) will be fine for the full 6 months (with changing as needed) or should one aim to ramp up the size over time?

Everyone is different so go with what you are comfortable. I’m sure it would make you dribble after so long. Being held open for that amount of time, I’m sure the muscle would be stretched to a point to where you may or may not be able to strengthen it back. 

On 12/18/2021 at 2:40 PM, Veg said:

@Billy987

12 FR is a standard pediatric size an adult standard size would be 16/18 FR.

On 12/18/2021 at 2:40 PM, Veg said:

@Billy987

12 FR is a standard pediatric size an adult standard size would be 16/18 FR.

veg , I would of reccomend  you practice insertion technique and  progressive Urethral dilation with disposable intermittent catheters before you waste time and money on indwelling and insertion trays , my urologist says I am better catheter driver than half the urology nurses , I cath 5 X’s a day , I am assuming in female parts you have not had a child or required involuntary cath placement , seldom do adults requiring a foley require a pediatric foley , you need to train your urethra to accept an adult catheter , you have like 1 “ of urethra , us men have 15” a double “S” and prostate to navigate before getting to bladder neck , if you only tolerate a 12 ,longer than a couple hours it will make you miserable as hell as does any catheter , I have worn ambulatory foleys for weeks at a time ( men are wimps when they complain about 1 in bed ) how large a ballon have you used for retention ? My bladder doesn’t care about catheters but it hates with a major continuous bladder spasm , I require diapers even well Catheterized because of balloon blow by due to spasms .  

12 FR is not normally just paediatric but available in the normal 40cm length. My urethra can accommodate 10mm sounds (30 FR) all the way in but is most comfortable with 14Fr catheters. The only downside with 12 FR is the very slow flow rate.