LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Special Donation Fund - Board software renewal.

DailyDi

Our forum software is up for renewal, and I could use some help paying for it! Keeping it up to date gives us the updates and security patches that keep us going, along with support when something goes wrong.

Due Dec 10th, so please give if you can!

https://www.dailydiapers.com/board/index.php?/clients/donations/18-forum-software-renewal/

Image1.jpg

• Like 1

@DailyDi @AwakenEvil

I assume that the chat software is based off of or part of the daily diapers form software. But this I mean, that something else is installed in addition to the forms to allow us to be able to chat as well as to post. The one thing that I have noticed is that it may be a little bit more difficult to just change the chat software to something different, because it requires somebody on the backend to be able to configure it properly so that it will not cause any issues with the site or with the uplink provider. The worst Thing that can happen is that you have an issue with the software itself, and that requires somebody else to actually maintain it, and make changes when necessary. I have had a users ask me about how to do certain things using wire shark, and I believe this is the way that they think they can determine how Chat operates. I have not used wire shark for that purpose, because I do not worry about where things are coming in from.

I also understand that it is difficult to find the right software for every single occasion. I have heard that we have had software that is worse than what we have now in the past, and that has caused a lot more problems. I don’t mind hitting the F5 key every once in a while to restore the Screen because the monster eats us. Whatever happens, we have to determine the best software that we can use that will allow us to use it to its fullest potential without causing poor Mikey another migraine headache because of things that are out of his control or things that he has to hire someone else to fix. I know that from experience when I used to do IRC2, there were several things that had to be configured, and they had to be correct because if they were not, it could cause the server to hiccup, Do you have to go back to the IRCD config file to be able to determine what is going on and make sure every single line is correct with the right information within it: for example every time you add a host, IP address is added to the config file, and that IP address is an I line, which is the server or one of a host of servers that you can connect to, or that we allow to connect back to us.  When someone is banned on the server, this is called a K line (kill line). Any people that are banned are considered a K line, and either the username is K lined, the IP address is K lined, or both are k lined.  

I use the above example to illustrate that it is quite difficult sometimes to be able to manage chat services. As @DailyDi and @AwakenEvilIllustrate, you have to have the server or the client that helps you to make it the best that you possibly can. If you use the wrong software, or you use a software that you were unfamiliar with, it can be more of a pain in the neck then some thing that you are very used to. When I used to be  a server operator, we had to manually enter information into the IRCD config file, and then rehash the information to add the information to it.  That is basically what we had to do. Because of the fact that that file can be messed up by adding the wrong information to it, they were only certain people who could actually edit that file directly with the nano editor. Other operators could add information by using commands from the IRC command line.

I am sure that there are plenty of different clients and applications that can be added for a chat services. Unfortunately, Mikey is right, because you have to have a good program, and I know that sometimes things have to change, but there is no reason to change something right now, if Mikey or his admin‘s do not believe there is something better than what we have. There is always a chance that we could find that, but it would require everyone to relearn the system. Also, with anything new, there are “bumps in the road,“ which must be considered when you make changes like this.

I wish you luck gentlemen: finding the right client/server can be a pain in the ass, but if you ever find it you’ll know it: for now we will have what we have, which I don’t mind, because even if the chat monster eats us, we can always refresh: I know it’s a pain in the butt but at least we have our chat system functioning the way it does now. If there is a way that we can improve it, then I’m all for it, but I also don’t want to cause a problem for poor Mikey if he decides that he wants to make a change. As everyone knows I have had to restore my server at least five times in the last two months because of problems that I find while I’m trying to do an install or while I’m almost there, and then I find some glitch or something that I did not realize and then I have to go back to the drawing board and try to backtrack to figure out what I’m missing. This is what causes migraine level headaches. Right now I Think that we have a good system, and when Mikey believes that it is necessary to make a change, I am sure that he will let know.

good luck: I know how important websites and domains are!

Brian

Invision had a really great add-on chatroom for years, but all of a sudden they decided to drop it as a service with very little notice. I've "interviewed" all the available chat clients that could be integrated with our forum software and ours is the only one that works reliable, even if it is limited in features and sometimes freezes.

• Thanks 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2021 at 1:15 PM, DailyDi said:

Invision had a really great add-on chatroom for years, but all of a sudden they decided to drop it as a service with very little notice. I've "interviewed" all the available chat clients that could be integrated with our forum software and ours is the only one that works reliable, even if it is limited in features and sometimes freezes.

@DailyDi @Idzy said he would reprogram the chat server for you.  I believe he said no charge.  I will txt him to let him know I tagged him in this post.

On 11/29/2021 at 10:36 AM, willnotwill said:

I use ArrowChat on my forum.  I used it with vBulletin and moved it over to XenForo.

DD also uses ArrowChat. There is an issue with it not responding to HTTP poll requests for new messages, which could be something as simple as cookie duration, or another configurable parameter. Depending on how Invision is hosted, it may be easy to integrate another chat service with more features, or even write something from scratch. However I don't have quite as much time as I did earlier in the year. Am happy to help if I can.