LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Mommy thinking to switch me from disposable diapers to Cloth Diapers

I have been wearing disposable diapers the entire time I have been wearing diapers and that has been for 19 years and 12 years 24/7. My mommy is thinking to switch me into cloth diapers with booster pads and plastic pants. Specifically the Rearz Omutsu Cloth Diapers with Booster Pads. Has anyone had any experience with these cloth diapers and if so how do they handle? Are they good for both urine and bowel and do they hold a lot? Thank you in advance for any advice on them. 

Paul

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Cushy Tushy said:

I have been wearing disposable diapers the entire time I have been wearing diapers and that has been for 19 years and 12 years 24/7. My mommy is thinking to switch me into cloth diapers with booster pads and plastic pants. Specifically the Rearz Omutsu Cloth Diapers with Booster Pads. Has anyone had any experience with these cloth diapers and if so how do they handle? Are they good for both urine and bowel and do they hold a lot? Thank you in advance for any advice on them. 

Paul

I never used cloth diapies buddy. I only really like disposable. I'm extremely biased about them. And I believe their better. But I have heard good things about cloth diapies though. So it's your choice. If nothing else, try it and see if you like it. But I hope you don't like it, just because I like disposables.? Hehehe!?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
55 minutes ago, BabySpiderBoy said:

I never used cloth diapies buddy. I only really like disposable. I'm extremely biased about them. And I believe their better. But I have heard good things about cloth diapies though. So it's your choice. If nothing else, try it and see if you like it. But I hope you don't like it, just because I like disposables.? Hehehe!?

I think mommy knows best and she has looked into this with my babysitter and she seems to like these. From what she has told me about these they are really thick and bulky and with the booster pads it makes it even more. So I will be really padded under my pants. Making for a much bigger waddle. Also with the plastic pants over them she told me it will make for a lot more sound. Also and this is for practical reasons as of course the cloth diapers and booster pads can be washed and re-used it saves $$$ in the long run. 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Cushy Tushy said:

I think mommy knows best and she has looked into this with my babysitter and she seems to like these. From what she has told me about these they are really thick and bulky and with the booster pads it makes it even more. So I will be really padded under my pants. Making for a much bigger waddle. Also with the plastic pants over them she told me it will make for a lot more sound. Also and this is for practical reasons as of course the cloth diapers and booster pads can be washed and re-used it saves $$$ in the long run. 

Gotta do what ya can to save that green!?????????? Personally I would NEVER use cloth diapers. I'm too much of a disposable diaper boy!?? if I got my disposable diapies taken away I'd throw a huge temper tantrum on the floor, kicking and screaming!?? Aw, good times!!!!!?☺️?????❤️

5 minutes ago, BabySpiderBoy said:

Gotta do what ya can to save that green!?????????? Personally I would NEVER use cloth diapers. I'm too much of a disposable diaper boy!?? if I got my disposable diapies taken away I'd throw a huge temper tantrum on the floor, kicking and screaming!?? Aw, good times!!!!!?☺️?????❤️

I totally understand that. My mommy and babysitter are also big advocates for a better clean environment. Disposable Diapers after they are used are placed in a bag and put out into the trash and onto a landfill which takes a very long time to breakdown. Cloth/re-washable diapers  and booster pads are not of course. I totally get where my mommy and babysitter are coming from there. 

25 minutes ago, Cushy Tushy said:

I totally understand that. My mommy and babysitter are also big advocates for a better clean environment. Disposable Diapers after they are used are placed in a bag and put out into the trash and onto a landfill which takes a very long time to breakdown. Cloth/re-washable diapers  and booster pads are not of course. I totally get where my mommy and babysitter are coming from there. 

I totally get that too buddy! Although for me personally, and I know this is gonna to sound really bad but, I don't really care about the environment. I know I know I'm a terrible person.?????? LOL!??? But I just think it's a waste of time. I mean we're all gonna die anyway, right?!???? Plus I'm not really motivated to do it. Which again, sounds really bad but at least I'm honest. LOL!?????❤️

Being a "man of the cloth" myself.. ( love my prefolds!??), I can say, as with everything else, there are ups and downs. The ups are they are more economical as they can be washed and reused. They are very comfortable, but can be bulky, ( if you are into that aspect). They work the best for night time, as they absorb and wick excellently! 

The "down side", they have to be washed, and adult diapers are HUGE, and take a lot longer to rinse out than the childs counterpart. They are initially expensive, but being reusable, that is 'recouped' over time. They don't hold as much as disposables, so you need to change more often. Plastic pants wear out, crack and leak requiring replacement. 

Thick and bulky cloth diapers take longer to dry in the dryer, and if they are n't dried compleatly, then bacteria will be allowed to grow, and create a bad smell when the diaper is used again and wet, so they need to be  washed throughly, and dried COMPLEATLY before use again.

The best solution, which has been mentioned in other forums before, is to go with multiple thinner diapers and build up layers. You can make them as thick and bulky as you want or need, but then when you wash them, you have a bunch of much thinner diapers that are both easier to handel, rinse ,wash and dry and they dry faster, and more completly, than a comparable thick diaper, which hold a lot, but is a pain to rinse,wash and get dry thoroughly to avoid bacteria build up.

Generally though, aside from maintenance issues, they can be fun and practical, comfy and just a great alternative to the continued expense of having to repurchase disposables...

Never tried the Rearz "Omutsu" it "looks" comfy, but washing and drying something that goes with the product. I read what the "omutsu" is made from, and they say its 'soft' and and is filled with layers of "viscose" , which I researched: 

https://amerisleep.com/blog/what-is-viscose/

From what I read, they are lined with what is basically cotton flannel, (flannel is NOT really a good fabric for diapers) and have a filling of "viscose" which is a man made fabric much like rayon,(?) which is plastic.....not very absorbant!!!  They also rate them as being able to hold 6 cups of liquid, which is about 1420 ml or about 1 1/2 quarts, or 48 oz. Which might work for nightime...* Shrug*

I might be wrong, but It sounds like this thing is bulky for appearance purposes, but not really that functional...? More reading and research might be in order. the best diaper fabrics are cotton birdseye, cotton gauze, or cotton twill. Flannel doesn't work well since it sheds a lot in the wash and dry cycles. Ever have a favorite flannel shirt that the fabric just seemed to get thinner and thinner after wash and dry cycles??? Ever look in the lint collector to find a wad of lint, the same color as said favorite flannel shirt?? Nuff said.

So, personally, I'd go with layering thinner "day weight" diapers for ease of maintenance, and adjustability, and made from more durable materials. I have found cotton twill prefolds work great, and are comfy and durable (got mine from Changing Times, not an endorsement or advertisement) and I enjoy them very much!! ....which reminds me, I need to pick up more on my next trip??

SO!!, I hope this helps, and good luck in your adventure into cloth!!??

53 minutes ago, BabySpiderBoy said:

I totally get that too buddy! Although for me personally, and I know this is gonna to sound really bad but, I don't really care about the environment. I know I know I'm a terrible person.?????? LOL!??? But I just think it's a waste of time. I mean we're all gonna die anyway, right?!???? Plus I'm not really motivated to do it. Which again, sounds really bad but at least I'm honest. LOL!?????❤️

Each person has there own views and I am not here to put anyone down. I will just say this, We have to live on this Earth so I think and I know my mommy and babysitter thinks the same way and that is to make it the best it can possible be. If we destroy the Earth we will all die a lot sooner then we are suppose to. 

10 minutes ago, square_duck said:

Being a "man of the cloth" myself.. ( love my prefolds!??), I can say, as with everything else, there are ups and downs. The ups are they are more economical as they can be washed and reused. They are very comfortable, but can be bulky, ( if you are into that aspect). They work the best for night time, as they absorb and wick excellently! 

The "down side", they have to be washed, and adult diapers are HUGE, and take a lot longer to rinse out than the childs counterpart. They are initially expensive, but being reusable, that is 'recouped' over time. They don't hold as much as disposables, so you need to change more often. Plastic pants wear out, crack and leak requiring replacement. 

Thick and bulky cloth diapers take longer to dry in the dryer, and if they are n't dried compleatly, then bacteria will be allowed to grow, and create a bad smell when the diaper is used again and wet, so they need to be  washed throughly, and dried COMPLEATLY before use again.

The best solution, which has been mentioned in other forums before, is to go with multipal 

Thank You so much for this. I will give you a rep tomorrow for your post as I can't right now. I think I used all of mine for the day. 

I don't mind the bulky feeling of a diaper at all  and the comfort is a major high point for me. The security especially at night and when I am out is huge for me. These diapers from what my mommy has told me are the best at holding the most possible for a cloth diaper. I also agree that having multiple cloth diapers so there is a rotation is a must. The same goes for the booster pads. As you stated the initial cost is expensive, but overtime it is recouped as they can be washed and reused. As for the plastic pants, I understand that they can wear out and having extras is also a must.

My mommy and babysitter I am pretty sure are aware of the importance of the washing and drying of these products. They deal with my laundry pretty much on a daily basis. 

Once again thank you so much. I will definitely let you know once my mommy makes the final decision and when she decides to purchase The Rearz Omutsu Cloth Diapers and Booster Pads. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Cushy Tushy said:

Specifically the Rearz Omutsu Cloth Diapers with Booster Pads. Has anyone had any experience with these cloth diapers and if so how do they handle? Are they good for both urine and bowel and do they hold a lot? Thank you in advance for any advice on them.

I have 4 of these that get rotated in and out of duty.  I'm 24/7 but I only wear cloth a couple of days a week because of practicality, laundry and spousal considerations.

I'll use the Omutsu during the day when I'm home.  I *do* use a booster with them and if you are looking for an all-day-diaper, they NEED a booster or you will get press-out leaks at your rear thighs when sitting.  This is typically either a Babykins booster pad or a folded 24" x 24" babies cloth nappy.  I'll wear this under enclosed plastic pants and a compression pant to hold everying in place and flatten out some of the curves.  I'm not sure I trust them in bed because for a cloth diaper, there isn't that much side protection.

They are pretty bulky.  I'm wary about going out in them. I have done it but baggy, dark clothes over them are the order of the day.  They ARE comfortable though and the velcro so far is holding up well.

I'm mainly just wetting so I can't comment on how they perform "under load" but like any adult-sized pre-formed cloth diaper, they need to be washed and dried carefully (drying takes ages) to avoid bacterial build-up and associated wet-diaper stink.  Occasionally I will put my cloth products through a sanitisation wash (with alkali and bleach) to clear things out.  This is where old fashioned folded flat diapers have an advantage.  As they are unfolded to wash, they don't have the same bulk in the washer.  I find that they wash easier and dry quicker.  The Omutsu is still good though and worth a try as they are reasonably priced.

I'm in my night cloth nappy (next morning) as I type this and I'll probably change into an Omutsu for the day: today I think it will be the penguin-diaper ?

27 minutes ago, oznl said:

I have 4 of these that get rotated in and out of duty.  I'm 24/7 but I only wear cloth a couple of days a week because of practicality, laundry and spousal considerations.

I'll use the Omutsu during the day when I'm home.  I *do* use a booster with them and if you are looking for an all-day-diaper, they NEED a booster or you will get press-out leaks at your rear thighs when sitting.  This is typically either a Babykins booster pad or a folded 24" x 24" babies cloth nappy.  I'll wear this under enclosed plastic pants and a compression pant to hold everying in place and flatten out some of the curves.  I'm not sure I trust them in bed because for a cloth diaper, there isn't that much side protection.

They are pretty bulky.  I'm wary about going out in them. I have done it but baggy, dark clothes over them are the order of the day.  They ARE comfortable though and the velcro so far is holding up well.

I'm mainly just wetting so I can't comment on how they perform "under load" but like any adult-sized pre-formed cloth diaper, they need to be washed and dried carefully (drying takes ages) to avoid bacterial build-up and associated wet-diaper stink.  Occasionally I will put my cloth products through a sanitisation wash (with alkali and bleach) to clear things out.  This is where old fashioned folded flat diapers have an advantage.  As they are unfolded to wash, they don't have the same bulk in the washer.  I find that they wash easier and dry quicker.  The Omutsu is still good though and worth a try as they are reasonably priced.

I'm in my night cloth nappy (next morning) as I type this and I'll probably change into an Omutsu for the day: today I think it will be the penguin-diaper ?

Thank You so much for your advice . This is going to be a super help to me and my mommy.  I do wish to wear them 24/7 day and night with a booster. So I will certainly mention the Babykins boosters pad to my mommy. So when you say you wear the booster pad under the enclosed Plastic pants you feel it is better to place the booster pad in the underside of the plastic pants to catch any last leaks rather then inside the cloth diaper itself?

You also mentioned not trusting them at nighttime, but you did mention you wear a cloth diaper at night. What cloth diaper would that be that you are comfortable wearing at nighttime? 

I would be wearing them to both wet and mess as I have fully unpotty trained myself over many years. 

As for the washing thank you for that tip I will pass that onto my mommy and babysitter. They have been taking care of my laundry for quite some time now and I am pretty sure they understand the importance of all of that.

One of the main things about these cloth diapers other than the cost over time being efficient is they are much better for the environment then disposable diapers and that is a key point for my mommy and babysitter.

As for them being bulky, I have no issue with that at all.  

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Cushy Tushy said:

Thank You so much for your advice . This is going to be a super help to me and my mommy.  I do wish to wear them 24/7 day and night with a booster. So I will certainly mention the Babykins boosters pad to my mommy. So when you say you wear the booster pad under the enclosed Plastic pants you feel it is better to place the booster pad in the underside of the plastic pants to catch any last leaks rather then inside the cloth diaper itself?

I worded that poorly.  I lay the booster lengthwise inside the crotch of the diaper: booster is inside the diaper, not outside it.  That way it gets held in place by the diaper.  Folded terry towel baby diapers (I use the 24" x 24") make excellent boosters and are pretty cheap.  They can also serve as diaper-liners for messy diapers.  You can bleach the heck out of cloth baby diapers and they are cheap enough to replace regularly.  Bombing Omutsu with bleach is going to shorten their life and get expensive.

6 minutes ago, Cushy Tushy said:

You also mentioned not trusting them at nighttime, but you did mention you wear a cloth diaper at night. What cloth diaper would that be that you are comfortable wearing at nighttime?

I'm a side-sleeper and at this point on my 24/7 journey, also a bed wetter.  Side protection is important.  If in disposables, I wear a terry-lined waterproof over them to catch leaks.  For cloth, my "bullet proof" solution is a kite-folded and pinned terry nappy under plastic pants as it has excellent side protection.  These almost never leak in bed irrespective of my position when they get wet.

2 hours ago, Cushy Tushy said:

Each person has there own views and I am not here to put anyone down. I will just say this, We have to live on this Earth so I think and I know my mommy and babysitter thinks the same way and that is to make it the best it can possible be. If we destroy the Earth we will all die a lot sooner then we are suppose to. 

That's true, and that's a very good point buddy.? At the end of the day, we're all Babies and Diaper Lovers and that's what matters the most!?☺️????????❤️

I'm in cloth nappies full-time, but I've not tried the Rearz Omutsu.  Their website quotes a capacity of 6 cups for the overnight version, i.e. 1.4 litres.  The ones I wear claim a capacity of 4 litres (from Dotty Diaper here in the UK), so I've not been tempted by the Omutsu.  I doubt they're measuring capacity in the same way though.  The designs are similar, so I can probably give you some useful tips. 

I wear the DD nappies during the day only.  Like oznl I prefer a pinned on terry square at night (Chinese fold works best for me).  Without a booster I need 2 or 3 nappies to get through a day safely.  I usually use an additional cloth booster though, so I only need 2 nappies for the daytime.  Normally I use my nappy for wetting only.

I wear cloth for environmental reasons: I don't want to create a load of landfill that doesn't ever rot down.

Don't even start down this route unless you've got a washing machine and a tumble dryer.  I fill a washing machine in 2 days, and if you leave wet nappies much longer they start to smell.  Messy nappies will need dealing with straight away, and I wouldn't go there unless you're sure someone is happy to handle the nappy cleaning - it can be a messy business.  You don't want to put significant amounts of poo in the washing machine, so it needs soaking off first.  I wash on a long cycle at 60 deg Celcius, which is the recommended minimum temperature for babies nappies (over here anyway).  This gets them properly clean.

I'd buy one or two and see how you get on.  If you want to switch to cloth full-time you'll need at least 10, preferably a few more.

Be prepared for a bit more chafing until your skin gets used to them.  I use BodyGlide every day on my inner thighs where chafing is most likely.

Hope this helps - good luck!

I don't know about the Rearz Omutsu diapers, but I wear Rearz Prefold cloth diapers every night for my bedwetting. With a pair of adult size diaper pins, and plastic pants, my bed always stays dry.  I've had some of their diapers for over a year, and they hold up good thru repeated washings, and since I wet the bed EVERY night, they go thru A LOT of washings!

59 minutes ago, Diapered Dave said:

I don't know about the Rearz Omutsu diapers, but I wear Rearz Prefold cloth diapers every night for my bedwetting. With a pair of adult size diaper pins, and plastic pants, my bed always stays dry.  I've had some of their diapers for over a year, and they hold up good thru repeated washings, and since I wet the bed EVERY night, they go thru A LOT of washings!

I use the changingtimesdiaperco Prefold (look like the same as Rearz) with the adult size pins, and good plastic or rubber pants at night as they do a good job. and hold up well.

...since I only wet here & there & never mess, I use nothing but cloth. Love the comfort & softness. Most of the times I just enjoy my cloth diapers with no plastic pants at all as that might not be practical for everyone else. I usually have my cloth diaper by itself or one of those "BigTot" stretchy diaper covers available on like Etsy. Have over 15prs of those. I do wear plastic pants maybe 10-15% of the time, but I myself get too hot & sweaty in them. I use nothing but AdultClothDiaperCo. diapers. Have about 8prs of Darlene's plastic pants which she hand makes and are wonderful.

On 11/17/2021 at 1:58 PM, square_duck said:

The best solution, which has been mentioned in other forums before, is to go with multiple thinner diapers and build up layers. You can make them as thick and bulky as you want or need, but then when you wash them, you have a bunch of much thinner diapers that are both easier to handel, rinse ,wash and dry and they dry faster, and more completly, than a comparable thick diaper, which hold a lot, but is a pain to rinse,wash and get dry thoroughly to avoid bacteria build up

Yup, was going to say this.  Bulky cloth might be fun at first, but it's much harder to deal with.  For my bed wetting I use multiple thinner diapers which can be folded to be more effective, as well as washed and dried much more easily.

Get a few different cloth products to try, and then spend the $$$ once you figure out what works for you!

• Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, justforfun said:

Bulky cloth might be fun at first, but it's much harder to deal with.  For my bed wetting I use multiple thinner diapers which can be folded to be more effective, as well as washed and dried much more easily.

Agreed! A thick cloth diaper takes forever to dry. i tried the Rearz nighttime prefold once. Great quality and fit! But took so long —- a couple of hours —- in the dryer to get truly dry to the inner layers.

i think the suggestion made above of multiple thinner diapers is practical. You get the benefit of bulk with greater ease in laundering.

• Like 1
On 11/17/2021 at 3:48 PM, Cushy Tushy said:

@Cushy Tooshie

I can understand that people may want to use cloth diapers to be able to save the environment. This is admirable, and I do understand that the disposable diapers do cars more trash than cloth diapers, because cloth diapers can be washed, hung, dried, folded, and then pinned on. For guys like me that are in continent, the best thing for me to deal with is a disposable diaper. I have no time to wash diapers, pin them on, fold them up, or whatever because I don’t have the dexterity to be able to do this.

Additionally, when you deal with today’s patients in facilities: most of them are not going to use cloth diapers, because that would cause them to have to do three times the work. Unfortunately, that also means, that most of the people that are wearing disposables are not wearing the best disposables, which means that they leak all over the place and may not be as comfortable as a person who is wearing say a mega max diaper, or another diaper that all of us in the community may like. Cloth diapers are better for some reasons than others. If you have a time, money, resources, and patients this will be good and it will save the environment. You may save a lot of money on the back end but have to invest a lot of money on the front end.

maybe it’s just me, but I like having the disposable diapers: they are usable, and they keep me comfortable, and even though I may leak from time to time, at least I don’t have to worry about washing dirty diapers, I just throw them away. I remember back sometime in 1986, then governor Madeline Kunin asked The Vermont legislature to decide whether we should not allow the use of disposable diapers, because they are bad for the environment and take 5000 years to degrade. This was a big topic in one of her election campaigns, but this did not pass. I guess people still wanted to use disposable diapers, and they do have their use. In my case because I am single, and I don’t have a person as a significant other, that actually accepts this, I will continue to use disposable diapers for my own reasons. They are comfortable, and they remind me of things when I was little, and also they Help me deal with the feelings that I have, as well as my incontinence. To change it to cost diaper, it would not feel the same, it would not be the same feeling as a disposable. Some people may think I’m crazy but that’s the way I am colon disposable diapers all the way.

The environment is in danger, but with the amount of people who still use disposable diapers, I don’t think the whole entire dynamic will change so that everyone uses cloth diapers exclusively. There are many parents who decide that they are going to work, and they don’t have the time and they don’t have the energy to be doing loads of diapers every day. One of my sister-in-law‘s did that with my niece, but she also had an at home business and could do everything your mom does in a day, as well as her business, and that also meant washing my nieces diapers.  

disposable diapers have a place in our world, and that will not change. It will be up to a parent or a mommy or daddy figure if an adult baby or a diaper lover, whether they decide that they are going to use cloth diapers. They might have the time and the energy and also the forethought to be able to do so, but in my case cost diapers would be a significant investment without a return. My comfort in my security are more important than the environment in this case. I don’t think wearing disposable diapers is a bad thing, because they do serve a purpose and and they have a place in our environment: it is the choice of the person or the caregiver whether they use cloth or disposable diapers: both are right and not wrong, it is just up to the person who is taking care of the diapering and the changing.

Brian

On 11/22/2021 at 11:06 AM, vvp39 said:

Darlene's someone you know, I gather...how nice to have custom-made plastic pants!

...she sells her custom & handmade plastic pants on eBay. They are wonderful and she sells them for a very reasonable price. She just custom made me two pairs of Blue Gingham plastic pants for like $56. Gives me now about 10prs from her.

Mommy is wise. I prefer cloth diapers over disposable although I do wear disposable when I go out to work to be honest, as soon as I get home I’ll change back to cloth for I think they do a better job and are more authentic. Cloth is too hard to change during the day while take care of business to my opinion.  

On 11/17/2021 at 3:39 PM, BabySpiderBoy said:

Never say never. I thought the same thing years ago. I just knew I would NEVER use cloth but lately I've been looking into them. The covers are super cute and can be made pretty thick. Been wearing a grey cover with foxes over my disposables ?. I might start wearing cloth at night/home and disposables for day/ outings. 

Personally, I think you would like how they look and feel, at least sometimes lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, Notme said:

Never say never. I thought the same thing years ago. I just knew I would NEVER use cloth but lately I've been looking into them. The covers are super cute and can be made pretty thick. Been wearing a grey cover with foxes over my disposables ?. I might start wearing cloth at night/home and disposables for day/ outings. 

Personally, I think you would like how they look and feel, at least sometimes lol

Yeah, you're probably right about that buddy! I guess I'm just not ready yet, just like being a big boy!??????

• Like 2