LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Strange days indeed - a 24 x 7 experiment

I think you're on the money when you reference texting.  The zeitgeist of the chat zone was that of a texted conversation.  I never really "got" texting even though I'm gen-x.  As if email wasn't already impoverished enough as a nuanced communication medium.
I don't mean to be rough on the chat participants, don't get me wrong there (well ok, I had *some* fun there).  Firstly, they were the ones on that day, there will be other days and other chat participants (so all chats may not run the same way).  Secondly, even if all chats were the same, it's ME who was the odd one out, not them!  They were perfectly happy with this.
It was also became blindingly apparent that I was a generation behind them and that I simply shouldn't be there.

I dunno if it’s a purely generational thing. I’m in the millennial generation, got my first computer at age 6, internet at age 9, and my degree and career are in IT/engineering/design. Heck I even had my first iPhone way back in 2009. Yet I have never liked shorthand slang, emojis, etc. I often get fed up with work email chains and am known to pick up the when called, or call and resolve the issue rather than dragging things out via email.

Maybe I’m the odd one out in that my background and experience combines IT, engineering, user experience/design, graphic design, programming, front line phone support, b2b relationship management, business admin, finance and economics. Then I personally have events in my life that have given me the insight and motivation to deep dive into communication, psychology, neurology, meta learning etc.

I tend to fit into a weird liaison role very naturally; being an interrupter across teams, departments, customers and businesses alike.

I suppose I’m saying that I think it’s not a generational and technology issue but rather those things have given light to how much we use tech as a crutch and how that crutch fails when we do not learn how, or value effective communication as a foundational life skill. Previous generations and the history of humanity from tribes to modern civilization has depended on or failed due to lack of communication skills and our ability to talk to strangers. With the internet we can now trick ourselves into believing that strangers aren’t important and don’t exist- doesn’t everyone share the same viewpoint and have the same life experience as I do? My Facebook feed sure tells me so!

Heck even in this community there are so many assumptions of what is normal, typical, good, bad, a “true” abdl or not.

If we look at the incontinent desires forum there is s so much decent that can be seen on best approaches, to attempt or not to, what’s possible or not. All of that even with heavy moderation.

My “what to expect” thread from waaay back when now seems so quaint, maybe perhaps even civil in its tolerance of exploration.

I’ve always been one for longer threads and posts, much like yourself. I think chat rooms are like a dice game in that you don’t know what you’re gonna get and often trend to the lowest comment denominator due to the real time nature of things.

I think of chat rooms like a bar. You keep the language and nature of what is said short and sweet, while trying to get attention and be heard over the constant roar.

Forums, blogs etc allow for a more intimate conversation like sitting at home with a friend with a cup of tea. They allow for nuance and deeper levels of communication in a large part due simply by circumstance and how ready the other is to engage.

But, yeah I know I’m biased.

PS, you might enjoy

“Talking to strangers” by Malcolm Gladwell - audiobook version highly recommended.

And
“99% invisible” podcast by Roman Mars.

And thank you for your thoughtfulness and insights, and long form creative writing in your blog.
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, oznl said:

It was also became blindingly apparent that I was a generation behind them and that I simply shouldn't be there.

I do wonder how much this plays a role in it. I was drawn into texting and WhatsApp exchanges somewhat reluctantly when I first ditched my beloved BlackBerry for an iPhone about a decade ago, but I have adapted. I used to send people emails the length of short stories, but it does seem that very few people have the patience for that anymore. (Part of that was also probably related to the tactile QWERTY keyboard on my old Bold - I could type a novel on that while merging onto a ten-lane highway and never take my eyes off the road, back when that, and sampling Scotch, were acceptable commuter pastimes; my hatred for iPhone's autocorrect knows no bounds.)  Even when texting, though, I refuse to abandon sentence structure, or using whole words, however, and I will never stop using punctuation, even semicolons, where called for. 

The DD chat is indeed a strange space. My experiences there run the gamut you so aptly describe, although I would add that sometimes there are ducks in the fog, and then occasionally some ducks circle up and start a fire, gather round it and stop attending to the lone quacks in the distance - those ducks can come over if they want to, but most generally don't. I've had good runs of legitimate conversation on occasion, if perhaps intermittently interrupted by plaintive pleas regarding how hard it is to find a strict mommy, etc. But there have also been many times when I felt like my use of full sentences had the same effect on the chat that I have on my daughters' video chats, when I (physically) enter the room. Cue the crickets. 

I basically never engage anyone who says anything testy - what's the point? I feel like I am a guest there, and it's not my place to darken the waters. But when someone who's been sprinkling the chat with random emojis and non sequitur's related to the desired or current contents of their nappies opines that a casual racquetball rally of genuine conversation is boring, I feel compelled to reply that they, themselves, are tiresome. Please, feel free to interject, and take this to the next level, Voltaire - provided that that level does not relate to Fortnite accomplishments. Just as, if a crackling fire of a conversation has ignited around, say, what to do on sublevel 17 of Rainbow Six (and I made that up, I know nothing of Rainbow Six), I'm not going to try and stomp it out or talk over it. Etiquette is called for.  

It’s been several more “groundhog” days since my last update.  My “2 super-nappies per day only” diet is now a well-oiled machine, I haven’t touched a Molicare in weeks and I’ve left the chat room to its own devices.  I'm still not incontinent but I don't pay too much attention to what is happening down there.

To celebrate my operational success, my employer has simultaneously announced an extension to the mandatory “work from home” rule until June (with an option to extend again) along with an extensive round of lay-offs to occur during late May.  Presumably our office personal effects will be put out by security in the car park for us to collect or something.

It’s a first world problem I know and hardly worthy to compare with previous generation’s inconvenience, such as being strafed by enemy gunfire in a cold, muddy Flanders field during a world war.  Nevertheless, the combination of boredom and anxiety is over time, corrosive.  My sleeping (which was never good) has become exceptionally poor and I’ve found myself waking at 8:30am because I was awake much of the night contemplating being thrown on the employment scrap-heap at the same time that all of the investments I had (I thought prudently) made in previous years to defend against such a scenario have been destroyed by market losses I cannot control. 

It’s hard to see how I have any personal agency in what is happening to me. 

At work, there isn’t a huge amount to do and that which I do have to do seems to be hidden beneath an immovable mountain of my own apathy and procrastination.  For the first time in my life, I’ve started to seriously question my own mental health.  The rest of my family has been questioning my mental health for years so it's only fair that I should have a turn.

Anyway, enough whinging.  In between so many largely-pointless on-line meetings, I’ve been toying around with a kind of “guide” document for those foolish or deluded enough to be considering a bout of perpetually-diapered tomfoolery.

There’s rather a lot of text floating about for it but it isn’t that coherent, wandering between guide, chronicle, owner’s manual or bible, often within a single paragraph.  I thought I’d road-test my “introduction” section here to see if people think I should continue or perhaps take up quantity surveying to pass the time:

Introduction:

It’s a strange enough quirk in human behaviour that there are a small number of adults among us who despite odour, inconvenience and the ever-present threat of social sanction, desire, or even feel compelled to wear (and probably USE) nappies in the absence of any significant medical need.

“ABDL”: (Adult Baby/Diaper Lover) is the somewhat less-than-satisfactory label under which they (we) are often known.  AB and DL:  two reference points on an arbitrary spectrum with adults emulating infants resplendent in bibs and bonnets and playing with rattles at one end and adults who simply prefer to wear nappies under their grown-up clothes in grown up lives at the other end with most people falling somewhere between.

It’s even stranger still that of this small cohort, a smaller sub-group goes even further down this obscure road and instead of the occasional, odd-but-recreational bout of nappy wearing, is driven by desire, curiosity or ineffable compulsion to wear nappies permanently.  This practice is known as “24/7” within the ABDL community:  24 hours per day, 7 days per week, in nappies.  Perhaps reflecting the psyche of the recreational nappy wearer, for some, 24/7 is the holy grail of nappy use.

Permanently using a nappy instead of a toilet as an adult isn’t as simple as it may seem.  One of the holy books of this small world is brief article known as “The Twelve-Month Diaper-Training Program”.  Hailing from 2004, it is a guide to 24/7 self-adult-diapering and offers useful and practical tips on how to manage it.  But it is more than just that, it is written from a sub-culture, within a sub-culture, within a sub-culture.  A vanishingly small minority who not only preferentially wear and use nappies, but who wear them “24/7” and furthermore, have an interest in abandoning their continence to the extent that for them, wearing nappies becomes obligatory rather than discretionary.

Reversing toilet training is about deliberately becoming nappy-dependant and that’s extreme stuff.  Like many of the body hacks associated with what I suspect is this behaviour’s close cousin, if not parent, Body Integrity Identity Disorder (BIID), that can be confronting, possibly irreversible and I think should be approached with at least caution.  My experience to date suggests that one doesn’t simply inadvertently “catch” incontinence by simply wearing nappies all the time.  It rather some deliberate effort for sustained re-patterning of the brain but who really knows?  A few times every week now I wake up in a wet nappy I can’t remember wetting.

What about something even for the person who may NOT necessarily (at least initially) wish to permanently emigrate to nappy-land but nevertheless has a curiosity, an urge, an itch that can’t be scratched to see what it’s like?  Somebody who may need to return home to normality, who doesn’t wish to permanently close doors on their own future in the hope that others open but just wants some insight into that “24/7” lifestyle.  How does it work?  What’s it really like?

For them, I present “The Tourist’s Guide to Twelve Months in Nappies”.  This is my trip guide.  At the time of writing, I’m still on this trip (and have been for more than twelve months) but there is plenty of terrain left to explore.  Here’s a summary of what I’ve learned and what I’ve noticed so far.

Like all internet advice and gas consumption, your mileage may vary.

• Like 5

Go for it. Perhaps the title should be "The Tourist's Guide to Twelve Months Plus in Nappies".

In common with many others on here I enjoy following the ups and downs you and Little Sherri have been chronicling, and a user guide would be very useful for anyone setting off on the same meandering journey.

I keep intending to start a thread to record my own adventures in Nappy Land. It's pure laziness that has prevented me, but there are many similarities between us.

I like it, @oznl. I've never actually read that 12 Month Diaper Training Program. Having proceeded at building this rickety IKEA wardrobe of a life without looking at the instructions, relying instead primarily on anecdotes from other people who have built, or attempted to build, different wardrobes, it will now be interesting to compare what I've cobbled together to what I was supposed to have been doing. 

I think your proposed "un-romanticized" guide would be of particular use to people who are contemplating trying to do this whilst navigating the terrain of a fairly "conventional" life, with jobs, spouses, kids, travel, friends, 3 AM conflagrations in the yard, too much wine on Friday nights, and the general feeling that if all our plans get blown to hell, and we end up being director of shopping carts at some superstore in our retirement, at least we'll be consoled by our sure-handed, expert piloting of our plastic underpants while we're at it. 

I have been silently reading your complete history (and also Little Sheri's) and I find it very inspiring. I am also married, and have been advancing towards acceptation in my couple; I also share the same feelings and struggles towards 24/7, diaper dependency, incontinence desires, etc... 

I would love to read a complete "guide" written by you.

Thank you for what you are doing!!

• Like 1

As various parts of Australia cautiously start to peek out from under their COVID-19 lock-down blankets, the US global corporation I work for has turned the screws even tighter in response to the view from the US (it clearly isn’t a good view).  It looks like we will be working from home until October and even then, it is debatable whether all our offices can be made compliant for social distancing given the aggressive occupant density metrics that were adopted as an economy measure just a couple of years ago.  Either this or they will fall victim to the massive real estate consolidation project underway in response to “learnings” about work-from-home (ie: it’s cheaper).

I suspect that even if my job survives, I may simply not have an office to return to.  I’m not sure how I feel about this.  Clearly, I’m at the autumn (that’s “fall” to some of you) of my career but there is something especially bleak about Zoom-based “goodbye” ceremonies:  I’ve been to a few since March.

As it’s the final days of the week, I’ve gone back into cloth nappies!  Today is a kite-folded and pinned terry under Babykins milky-white encased plastic pants.  In case the mailman calls or the zoom-camera slips down, I’ve pulled on some tracksuit pants over the lot although otherwise, I am home alone.

I’ve had a couple of “alone” days recently as daughter #2 has gotten shifts at her part time student job which is cautiously re-opening.  Cloth nappies are not that discreet.  I catch the occasional “wet nappy” whiff from down there and my crotch is unusually puffy but it’s of no consequence to anybody as they aren’t here.  I will shower and change into an evening nappy before they get home and a compression pant over that will slim things down.

Emboldened by thoughtful suggestions from others that chat groups may not reflect the pinnacle of human thought and still pining for something to talk to that wasn’t either work-related or a disinterested cat, I joined a Fetlife-organised Zoom-room session with some fellow middle-aged enthusiasts.  This wasn’t as weird as you might imagine.  Conversational topics were wide-ranging and only occasionally diaper-related.  It was a nice “virtual outing” although the stars of having a hole in my calendar at that time of the working day (it's obviously built around a US time zone) AND having the adjacent teenager somewhere out of the house need to align to enable my participation.  I plan to do it again as and when I am able to.

Sometime next month I’m going to need to think about my next order of nappies.  There's clearly no reason to stop wearing them, they are developing a habit of wetting themselves and I can start to see bits of my study cupboard re-appearing from behind where full packets used to be and I still have a job to pay for them.   My consumption of Molicare has slowed to a crawl.  From home, I can stay with two nappies per day (BetterDry overnight and the ever-unreliable ABU Simple during the day) and manage the risk of daytime leakage and bulk.  Outside of weekends where tactical travel and/or beer might trigger three-diaper-days, there’s just no point wearing Molicares.

Decisions, decisions…

ABU Simples feel great until they leak.  Which they inevitably do.  I’m pouring out my plastic pants at every evening shower it seems.  ABU Simple Ultra (they should have just called them “ABU Simples” and made the standard flavour “ABU Mediocre”) are just prohibitively expensive in Australia.  ABU have unhelpfully limited purchases to a half case as a COVID-19 measure which means that the unit price for this nappy is now, after freight, A$3.57 or US$2.32 to my door.  This price makes my eyes water even if my thighs don’t!  I guess if you are focused on the ABDL market, you can do that.  If your clientele are folks who are incontinent (or like me, just a bit unreliable and prone to bedwetting), rationing nappies isn’t super-helpful to them.

Even the uber-comfortable-but-tragically-fluid-permeable ABU Simple “mediocre” edition is, through the withdrawal of case-pricing, A$2.82/US$1.83 per nappy delivered.  BetterDry I can get delivered for A$3.01 (US$1.96) per unit case rates but they defeat the default ABU Simple in performance.

Another outlier is the apparently well-regarded but personally untried “Rearz Incontrol Inspire+”.  With a product name an impressive 24 characters long they’d have to be good right?  Available in a 72-pack “double case” I can have them delivered for effectively A$3.51/US$2.28 per nappy. 

Yep, this is how expensive things are in Australia.   Maybe I should take up crystal meth: it would be cheaper. 

I’m open to suggestions here but remember the first time Mrs Oznl sees a fluffy baa-baa lamb print on my nappy, I’m going to be living outside under the carport until the police arrive.

The Rearz Incontrol Inspire+ are good, but I feel that they offer a bit less of the protection level from a BetterDry... so if the cost is higher over there in Australia, I would stick to BetterDry if I were you. I live in France, and over here BetterDry/Crinklz are pretty cheap (they're made in Germany). I feel your pain when I see those Australian prices...

I would echo @nareh60280 on the BetterDry vs Inspire question. The Inspire's are a very capacious diaper, and wonderfully comfortable in their formidable bulk, but I would have to undertake back-to-back testing against a BetterDry to be able to swear that they are any better. The landing zone on an Inspire is more conventional, rather than that tape-on-a-tape system the German diapers seem to prefer, but most people aren't as vexed by that as I seem to be. If the devil you know is the cheaper option, I'd probably stick with it. It's the inverse here - the Rearz cost a bit less, typically, and I also don't have to pay for shipping from them. 

Someday, @oznl, I'll have to ask you to explain Fetlife to me - I set up a profile there maybe half a year ago, but I can't figure out how to make heads or tails of it. Attempted navigation has introduced me to the wonders of midget noose-play, but, I feel like I'm wandering a bizarre foreign country, without a map or pocket dictionary, most of the time. 

3 hours ago, Little Sherri said:

I would echo @nareh60280 on the BetterDry vs Inspire question. The Inspire's are a very capacious diaper, and wonderfully comfortable in their formidable bulk, but I would have to undertake back-to-back testing against a BetterDry to be able to swear that they are any better. The landing zone on an Inspire is more conventional, rather than that tape-on-a-tape system the German diapers seem to prefer, but most people aren't as vexed by that as I seem to be. If the devil you know is the cheaper option, I'd probably stick with it. It's the inverse here - the Rearz cost a bit less, typically, and I also don't have to pay for shipping from them. 

Someday, @oznl, I'll have to ask you to explain Fetlife to me - I set up a profile there maybe half a year ago, but I can't figure out how to make heads or tails of it. Attempted navigation has introduced me to the wonders of midget noose-play, but, I feel like I'm wandering a bizarre foreign country, without a map or pocket dictionary, most of the time. 

With FetLife it is really easy to take a wrong turn and end up in a dead-end alley with some really weird shit going on... :)

16 hours ago, oznl said:

As various parts of Australia cautiously start to peek out from under their COVID-19 lock-down blankets, the US global corporation I work for has turned the screws even tighter in response to the view from the US (it clearly isn’t a good view).  It looks like we will be working from home until October and even then, it is debatable whether all our offices can be made compliant for social distancing given the aggressive occupant density metrics that were adopted as an economy measure just a couple of years ago.  Either this or they will fall victim to the massive real estate consolidation project underway in response to “learnings” about work-from-home (ie: it’s cheaper).

I suspect that even if my job survives, I may simply not have an office to return to.  I’m not sure how I feel about this.  Clearly, I’m at the autumn (that’s “fall” to some of you) of my career but there is something especially bleak about Zoom-based “goodbye” ceremonies:  I’ve been to a few since March.

As it’s the final days of the week, I’ve gone back into cloth nappies!  Today is a kite-folded and pinned terry under Babykins milky-white encased plastic pants.  In case the mailman calls or the zoom-camera slips down, I’ve pulled on some tracksuit pants over the lot although otherwise, I am home alone.

I’ve had a couple of “alone” days recently as daughter #2 has gotten shifts at her part time student job which is cautiously re-opening.  Cloth nappies are not that discreet.  I catch the occasional “wet nappy” whiff from down there and my crotch is unusually puffy but it’s of no consequence to anybody as they aren’t here.  I will shower and change into an evening nappy before they get home and a compression pant over that will slim things down.

Emboldened by thoughtful suggestions from others that chat groups may not reflect the pinnacle of human thought and still pining for something to talk to that wasn’t either work-related or a disinterested cat, I joined a Fetlife-organised Zoom-room session with some fellow middle-aged enthusiasts.  This wasn’t as weird as you might imagine.  Conversational topics were wide-ranging and only occasionally diaper-related.  It was a nice “virtual outing” although the stars of having a hole in my calendar at that time of the working day (it's obviously built around a US time zone) AND having the adjacent teenager somewhere out of the house need to align to enable my participation.  I plan to do it again as and when I am able to.

Sometime next month I’m going to need to think about my next order of nappies.  There's clearly no reason to stop wearing them, they are developing a habit of wetting themselves and I can start to see bits of my study cupboard re-appearing from behind where full packets used to be and I still have a job to pay for them.   My consumption of Molicare has slowed to a crawl.  From home, I can stay with two nappies per day (BetterDry overnight and the ever-unreliable ABU Simple during the day) and manage the risk of daytime leakage and bulk.  Outside of weekends where tactical travel and/or beer might trigger three-diaper-days, there’s just no point wearing Molicares.

Decisions, decisions…

ABU Simples feel great until they leak.  Which they inevitably do.  I’m pouring out my plastic pants at every evening shower it seems.  ABU Simple Ultra (they should have just called them “ABU Simples” and made the standard flavour “ABU Mediocre”) are just prohibitively expensive in Australia.  ABU have unhelpfully limited purchases to a half case as a COVID-19 measure which means that the unit price for this nappy is now, after freight, A$3.57 or US$2.32 to my door.  This price makes my eyes water even if my thighs don’t!  I guess if you are focused on the ABDL market, you can do that.  If your clientele are folks who are incontinent (or like me, just a bit unreliable and prone to bedwetting), rationing nappies isn’t super-helpful to them.

Even the uber-comfortable-but-tragically-fluid-permeable ABU Simple “mediocre” edition is, through the withdrawal of case-pricing, A$2.82/US$1.83 per nappy delivered.  BetterDry I can get delivered for A$3.01 (US$1.96) per unit case rates but they defeat the default ABU Simple in performance.

Another outlier is the apparently well-regarded but personally untried “Rearz Incontrol Inspire+”.  With a product name an impressive 24 characters long they’d have to be good right?  Available in a 72-pack “double case” I can have them delivered for effectively A$3.51/US$2.28 per nappy. 

Yep, this is how expensive things are in Australia.   Maybe I should take up crystal meth: it would be cheaper. 

I’m open to suggestions here but remember the first time Mrs Oznl sees a fluffy baa-baa lamb print on my nappy, I’m going to be living outside under the carport until the police arrive.

I understand your price-related concerns. One of the reasons we were for most of the time a cloth-nappy household was the pricing issue. All costs factored in, cloth nappies are a third of the cost of disposables and far less subject to supply shortages. Our current circumstances (new, very small and not very discreet) house) preclude cloth nappies and it is quite the loss. My baby always prefers cloth anyhow citing better absorbancy, comfort and 'babyness'. Kite-folded terries are bulky but comfy while dependeco velco nappies are discreet and good value.

Sorry that baby-theme nappies are still a no-no. been there and been the one with the negative reaction as well!

3 hours ago, DL-Boy said:

With FetLife it is really easy to take a wrong turn and end up in a dead-end alley with some really weird shit going on... :)

Fetlife is more like a sewer than anything. There are some nice people on there for sure, but the angst and vitriol there is worse than pretty much anywhere else although Reddit certainly tries.

7 hours ago, Little Sherri said:

You need to make some connections to find some groups and see some relative content.  Send me a friend request on FL, that's not much of a start but it might open the door a chink.

4 hours ago, DL-Boy said:

Yep.  I could see that happening quite easily ?

1 hour ago, rosalie.bent said:

Fetlife is more like a sewer than anything. There are some nice people on there for sure, but the angst and vitriol there is worse than pretty much anywhere else although Reddit certainly tries.

I wound up with a footprint on Fetlife as a consequence of the general abandonment of the more verticalized “Wet Set” forum (one of the early sites with scale specific to our genre and operated out of Australia).  A local Australian DL I knew had fled there and invited me to follow.  At the time, I didn't over-think it.

There’s no doubt that Fetlife is a much larger and broader church.  Many of the participants are almost mainstream and run the gamut of human nature relatively freely given the fairly light touch of moderation that occurs there.  I suspect its name, a contraction of “Fetish” might tilt the demographic towards folks seeking quick jollies rather than insight and as a broad church, the usual tenets of judgementalism and occasional terseness with content not aligned to various member's objectives does appear.

I’m not as active on Fetlife as I am on here but that’s more to do with DD being a more verticalized place where I’m less likely to surprise people.  Many folk are on both places, sometimes under different names.  A number of people that who’ve seen my profile on Fetlife, then pop up to chat on DD.

On Fetlife I've largely stayed inside my swim lane and thus I’ve never had any negative experiences.  I've never considered joining a group on fishnet stocking aficionados and tried to convince them of the merit of combining them with nappies (some have and then wonder why they get flamed).  It was a Fetlife DL who decided to establish the Zoom room and kudos to him for doing that (as a retiree, he has the time to reliably do this whereas my work commitments will get in the way). 

Fetlife also seemed to have a more accessible way to store writings and pictures.  I think I felt it necessary to put up pictures because I’d looked at so many, I’d feel guilty if I didn’t reciprocate.

There’s no doubt that DD  is “nicer” and more vigorously moderated, almost a Norman Rockwell-does-ABDL kind of place at times but just perhaps, that relative lack of challenge and ideological diversity might make it a less interesting at those times.

I’ve glanced at Reddit but never considered joining.  It seemed pretty teenage to me and I really don’t want to be THAT creep.

I guess these places are really to-varying-extents filtered reflections of the people that are in them.

11 minutes ago, oznl said:

You need to make some connections to find some groups and see some relative content.  Send me a friend request on FL, that's not much of a start but it might open the door a chink.

Yep.  I could see that happening quite easily ?

I wound up with a footprint on Fetlife as a consequence of the general abandonment of the more verticalized “Wet Set” forum (one of the early sites with scale specific to our genre and operated out of Australia).  A local Australian DL I knew had fled there and invited me to follow.  At the time, I didn't over-think it.

There’s no doubt that Fetlife is a much larger and broader church.  Many of the participants are almost mainstream and run the gamut of human nature relatively freely given the fairly light touch of moderation that occurs there.  I suspect its name, a contraction of “Fetish” might tilt the demographic towards folks seeking quick jollies rather than insight and as a broad church, the usual tenets of judgementalism and occasional terseness with content not aligned to various member's objectives does appear.

I’m not as active on Fetlife as I am on here but that’s more to do with DD being a more verticalized place where I’m less likely to surprise people.  Many folk are on both places, sometimes under different names.  A number of people that who’ve seen my profile on Fetlife, then pop up to chat on DD.

On Fetlife I've largely stayed inside my swim lane and thus I’ve never had any negative experiences.  I've never considered joining a group on fishnet stocking aficionados and tried to convince them of the merit of combining them with nappies (some have and then wonder why they get flamed).  It was a Fetlife DL who decided to establish the Zoom room and kudos to him for doing that (as a retiree, he has the time to reliably do this whereas my work commitments will get in the way). 

Fetlife also seemed to have a more accessible way to store writings and pictures.  I think I felt it necessary to put up pictures because I’d looked at so many, I’d feel guilty if I didn’t reciprocate.

There’s no doubt that DD  is “nicer” and more vigorously moderated, almost a Norman Rockwell-does-ABDL kind of place at times but just perhaps, that relative lack of challenge and ideological diversity might make it a less interesting at those times.

I’ve glanced at Reddit but never considered joining.  It seemed pretty teenage to me and I really don’t want to be THAT creep.

I guess these places are really to-varying-extents filtered reflections of the people that are in them.

My early experience in Fetlife was when I wrote my first book. I mentioned it there and the torrent of vitriol and vile abuse truly astonished me. It was vicious and a massive pile-on. It went on for some time and then I decided to investigate... yes, unsurprisingly NOT ONE OF THE ABUSERS had actually read the book but chose t abuse the mere concept of a book seeking to describe and detail ABDL behaviour. wow... 

Ive met some nice people on there although I rarely go there and most are simply people I've met on Twitter who contact me there. 

The funniest thing for me was when first abused a small group of people decided that they would 'write their own book' to counter mine (despite never reading it in the first place. They then set up a thread dedicated to the task and got as far as discussing the copyright page and then nothing in the 8 years since.

DD is certainly a nice place with seemingly effective moderation but most people seem to self-moderate anyhow. Perhaps it is the black and foreboding design of Fetlife that brings out so many peoples 'dark side'.

I got banned from the main ABDL group on fetlife for the 'sin' of posting about a new survey we were conducting. The premise was that the survey was 'making money' although how that was possible is beyond me. And just as a further proof that self-awareness is so rare, the moderator who banned me was the webmaster/owner of an ABDL pay site who routinely mentioned it in the group.

There are many, many lovely people I've met during this online/writing journey, but the path has been littered by a pile of unpleasant cretins as well. DD however, is a paradise.

My early experience in Fetlife was when I wrote my first book. I mentioned it there and the torrent of vitriol and vile abuse truly astonished me. It was vicious and a massive pile-on. It went on for some time and then I decided to investigate... yes, unsurprisingly NOT ONE OF THE ABUSERS had actually read the book but chose t abuse the mere concept of a book seeking to describe and detail ABDL behaviour. wow... 
Ive met some nice people on there although I rarely go there and most are simply people I've met on Twitter who contact me there. 
The funniest thing for me was when first abused a small group of people decided that they would 'write their own book' to counter mine (despite never reading it in the first place. They then set up a thread dedicated to the task and got as far as discussing the copyright page and then nothing in the 8 years since.
DD is certainly a nice place with seemingly effective moderation but most people seem to self-moderate anyhow. Perhaps it is the black and foreboding design of Fetlife that brings out so many peoples 'dark side'.
I got banned from the main ABDL group on fetlife for the 'sin' of posting about a new survey we were conducting. The premise was that the survey was 'making money' although how that was possible is beyond me. And just as a further proof that self-awareness is so rare, the moderator who banned me was the webmaster/owner of an ABDL pay site who routinely mentioned it in the group.
There are many, many lovely people I've met during this online/writing journey, but the path has been littered by a pile of unpleasant cretins as well. DD however, is a paradise.

I do wonder if the self moderation on DD has to do with the target audience. In my experience fetlife is a catch all, from the very mild to the extremely extreme.

For reasons I’m not sure I’ll ever truly understand nappies seek to fall on the extreme end of the spectrum for most people, even those that are kinky. It’s unfair as, even as a lifestyle and taken to the extreme it rarely goes beyond harmless and consensual. Alas this community seems to polarize, outrage, and disgust so many. It’s frustrating to be certain.

I do wonder if the younger generations will become more accepting, as it seems that starting with the millennials there has been a backlash against “adulthood” and the ever present experience of never really feeling grown up. Maybe it’s just the visibility we have now, but it seems like the frustration of the grind, making all the right moves but still losing the game, the hype of “growing up” being just that, hype is creating or amplifying the longing wistful nostalgia of childhood.

If this is indeed the case, it would seem that nappies and the sweetness and feelings of comfort and safety that often comes with our desires may becoming more relatable. My hope is at the very least that the shock of our lifestyle is dampened simply became there is so much more to compare it against these days.

Still, I’m still extremely weary of bringing up anything related to nappies in most relationships, dating etc. Simply been burned so many times. Oddly I’m completely comfortable to bring up most any other kink. I do look forward to the day where casually dropping an interest my interest in nappies and regression provokes no more shock or outrage than dropping the interest in bdsm.

Your books certainly help the community and I am so very thankful to have you in our community, so thank you!
5 hours ago, rosalie.bent said:

History is littered with people vehemently seeking to discredit, ban or burn ideas, books or films that they themselves haven’t read, viewed or sought to understand.  It’s been going on for millennia (well, maybe not so much for the films).  The internet just hyper-enables this behaviour, throwing in the added bonus of a convenient, free and massively-scalable pile-on opportunity ?

I did have a laugh at your comment about their “Greatest Book Never Written”, resting as it did upon their learning from their “Greatest Book Never Read”.  They could have just leveraged a public domain creative commons license and gotten on with the content but never mind.

There’s a lot I don’t agree with on the internet.  That goes with the territory.  Some of it out I simply flat-out avoid.  Other things, I might seek to understand.  Only rarely might I attempt to explain my contrary position).

At all time, I do try to avoid refuge to Ad hominem although with some, it’s damn tempting… 

ps: I've bought and read a number of the books you have published on Kindle, at the time of replying:  "There's a baby in my bed",  "Fear and Joy", "Becoming Me", "The Fulltime Permanent Adult Infant", "The Adult Baby Identity", "My,Myself,Christine", "Australian Baby", "Adult Babies: Psychology and Practices", "Living with Chrissie"..  All looking for insight really but it seems I'm not quite the target demographic.

39 minutes ago, BlakeJordan said:

For reasons I’m not sure I’ll ever truly understand nappies seek to fall on the extreme end of the spectrum for most people, even those that are kinky. It’s unfair as, even as a lifestyle and taken to the extreme it rarely goes beyond harmless and consensual. Alas this community seems to polarize, outrage, and disgust so many. It’s frustrating to be certain.

I do wonder if the younger generations will become more accepting, as it seems that starting with the millennials there has been a backlash against “adulthood” and the ever present experience of never really feeling grown up.

I’d like to think it would but there are strong psychological taboos at play here that are going to seriously get in the way of this going mainstream.  Let me indulge myself with a quote from an essay I wrote “The History of My World Part 1”

"So why did I wind up with a nappy fetish? Let’s face it, if fetishes could be selected ‘a la carte’ there probably wouldn’t BE a nappy fetish – nobody would choose it. It ticks all the wrong boxes: it’s inconvenient, it smells, it flies in the face of strong socially conditioned taboo responses to human waste, if your interest involves more than just peeing in it, it’s arguably bio-hazardous, a clueless-but-statistically-significant slice of the general population will conclude you are a paedophile, and lynch you on the basis of a flawed assumption and finally, you will be mocked by society for your nihilistic repudiation of adulthood. Ok, maybe the last point was going over the top but you get the picture.

Oh for a simple, honest fetish for fishnet stockings."

I talked about “fetish” because I wrote it a long time ago when I thought I *was* a fetish.  As I’ve gotten older, hormones have faded and I’ve taken a more considered, longitudinal view.  I believe it is NOT a fetish and never was.  I believe it to be a kind of dysphoria.

Irrespective of that, I think that people are still going to hate it for the reasons I outlined.

I hope I’m wrong.  I'd much rather you be right.  You are trans.  That’s not quite the sentence to social exclusion that it was a a decade ago.  It’s not fully “there” yet, but it’s heading in the right direction.  Society is shifting rapidly on this.  Maybe the "live and let live" ethos will prevail a little further down the "alt" byway.

• Like 1
On 5/21/2020 at 7:21 PM, oznl said:

I had to laugh at the idea of it being Norman Rockwell-esque, but you are right. This is a good place to land up if you are a neophyte in particular, although your metal will not likely be tempered by the fires of broader opinions, herein, as you correctly point out. This space seems well policed, but that's fine with me; I haven't found that any of my perceived 'freedoms' have been impinged upon thus far. But I am curious as to what else is "out there". Curious, but cautious. I still thought wearing a diaper on a plane, back when one could travel on planes, was a big deal, so I know that on the broader landscape, I'd be considered fairly "vanilla"... which is fine with me. 

I was going to report that my capacity to stay dry at night has mysteriously recovered this week but I have reconsidered this “conclusion”.   My sleep patterns remain terrible.  I’m usually awake for between 2 hours each night, often starting at about 2am and then have fitful dozing followed by a short bout of heavy sleep that’s actually after sunrise after my wife has left for work.

Most nights lately, I can clearly remember choosing to wet my nappies during this time (this was little else to do).  One night, I even awoke with the urge to pee, something that hasn’t happened in a very long time.  Of course, when I did, there wasn’t really that much pee.  That’s how my bladder works these days.  I was beginning to assume that I’d forgotten how to wet the bed for the second time in my life.

As I peeled off last night’s BetterDry 24/7 this morning, I could again recall with crystal clarity, a leisurely wee under the blankets from around 2am.  It was only when I surveyed the magnitude of the fluidic tragedy that had occurred in it that I realised that I might have recalled SOME of it, but clearly not ALL of it: a false negative, the most dangerous misread in any test.

Today of course was the first of my two days of the week wearing cloth nappies.  Beneath my jeans I was decked out “old school”: a kite-folded and pinned terry towelling nappy.

Usually, thus attired, I forego my lockdown-weekday early evening 5km constitutional.  I’m not sure what I find most unattractive about the idea of physical exercise in grown-up sized wet cloth nappies: chafing, sagging, the triumph of gravity over pins precipitating embarrassing wardrobe malfunctions or simply being out on the roads looking a bit like a Tellytubby that smells faintly of wee.  Still, if @Stroller can walk the dog to the pub for a couple of pints and make it back home to tell the tale from the confines of a soggy cloth nappy, why can’t I?

And so, at about 5pm, off I went, looking a bit like some kind of breaking-bad Tellytubby and smelling faintly of wee.

Commensurate with sunset, my day-nappy was reasonably wet but in no imminent danger of leaking.  It was a full-on AB fairy-tale underneath my somewhat-puffier-than-usual shorts: thick wet nappy covered by milky-white plastic pants with just the hint of the bright yellow tips of my safety pins showing through them.  I wonder what the paramedics would have made of this in the event of my untimely demise ascending the Crestview hill.

At first it was pretty comfortable.  A tight pair of compression pants were warding off gravity and areas of damp-but-warm towelling snuggled pleasingly against my crotch as I strode off into the sunset. 

After the first kilometre, I really was noticing that warm wet towelling as it bunched between my legs to rub up against my perineum.  A thick cloth nappy and plastic pants isn’t subtle infrastructure and doesn’t do much for personal mobility or flexibility.  Perhaps this is why we never see babies doing gymnastics.  Nevertheless, I pushed on.

Other walkers reassuringly nodded politely as I passed them (less reassuringly would have been then staring at my midriff and taking photos).  Despite the fading light and generously overhanging t-shirt, it’s true that people really don’t pay much attention to male middle-aged crotches and backsides.  A lot of them were walking dogs though and I am unconvinced that the dogs failed to notice something unusual.  They didn’t say anything though.  Dogs are like that.

The “half-way” mark is a fire hydrant at 2.5km from home whereupon I will make a u-turn and retrace my route.  Upon reaching this, my early since of “connectedness” from down in the nether regions of my nappy had progressed to distinct hints of abrasion.  The couple of spurts of pee that had occurred on my journey had kind of re-warmed things a little but failed to provide quite the degree of lubrication I felt might be advantageous at this point.

Shortly after the 3.5km mark I paused at a bus stop, not in the hope of a bus but rather, some semi-shelter in which I could attempt to re-arrange my formerly-comfortable wet underwear.  In possibly a personal first, I spent a number of awkward seconds fumbling at my waist and crotch in an attempt to get my nappy to SAG instead of trying to cinch it up tight against me.  I needed an air-gap insulator down there NOW.   Unfortunately, I had already deliberately engineered my layered outerwear before I left in order to countermeasure this very outcome so my efforts to get the sizable chunk of wet nappy away from its default travel position (sand-papering away at the very sensitive area behind my scrotum) was of limited effect.

I resumed my walk assuming the traditional cow-boy stance and reduced velocity…

By the time I ascended the last hill towards home at the 4.8km mark, I might as well have stuffed a wire brush dipped in battery acid into the bottom of my crotch: that’s how it felt anyway.

My house, at the top of the hill, was bathed in the golden light of pure desire as I countenanced the imminent possibility of disrobing and salve.  My nether regions were less figuratively bathed in golden terry towelling.

Rarely have I been happier to reach my own front door.

One of the shortest intervals in my nappied history was the time between getting inside and getting that nappy stripped off under a hot shower.  Disregarding the ominous ammonia notes that appeared from my pants once removed, I was more concerned with the fact that any direct hit with the water jet to my abraded skin area was rewarded with white-hot arrows of pain.

After moisturising, I exuberantly slathered the affected skin area with nappy rash cream but, in accordance with my ritualised agenda, I’m back in another pinned cloth nappy (dry) but waiting with some caution for when the inevitable rainy-season recommences in my underwear. 

I won’t be going for a walk tomorrow.  When is the last time you saw a cloth-nappy-clad baby doing a 5km hike?  They have their reasons.

1 hour ago, oznl said:

When is the last time you saw a cloth-nappy-clad baby doing a 5km hike?  They have their reasons.

Readers, I was that baby.  I walk 4 or 5 miles nearly every day, walking Binky, in a cloth nappy.  Terry is more likely to cause rubbing than my other cloth nappies, but usually I get away with wearing terry, if that's what I feel like wearing.  But...

1.  I worked up to this gradually, learning which nappies & plastic pants work for me without chafing.

2.  I use BodyGlide every day on my inner thighs, where I'd otherwise be likely to get chafing.

3.  I've been wearing cloth nappies every day for nearly 2 years now, so my skin has adapted to a bit of friction.

4.  I switch to different nappies if I get any chafing, ones that don't rub in that area, & don't wear the ones that caused the chafing until my skin's recovered.

But then my record for walking in a nappy is 45 miles (in Tena pullups, with 1 change).

So, don't give up just because you hit trouble the first time!  Good luck with it...

1 hour ago, Stroller said:

But then my record for walking in a nappy is 45 miles (in Tena pullups, with 1 change).

Everything you said there is impressive, @Stroller; I haven't gone further in a cloth nappy than one end of my house to the other. I take my hat off in respect, @oznl; you are once again at the vanguard - I would probably have tried this, sooner or later, so I am benefiting from your being the blast shield for the rest of us. 

Your description reminds me of my early days of trying to figure out what I could get away with, in a nappy, when I decided to go for an 8 km run wearing a GoodNite's pull-up that was already straining under the inordinate request I was making of it, while standing still. This was, if memory serves, prior to my going 24/7, when, if I could carve out time for myself, I usually preferred to spend it in plastic underpants. I was in the habit of going running for an hour, two or three times a week, so that seemed like the perfect opportunity to salve my psyche's need for baby pants, and my body's need for cardio. I headed out in a dry pull-up, reinforced with staples at a couple of key year points that I knew from experience tended to yield to physics.

Well, the diaper held up, at least structurally, but I sure as hell didn't. The stuffing shook itself lose and become damp with sweat, falling into the lowest point, below and aft of the wedding tackle, and bulking that area up. There was very little wee involved - I think I wet a bit just for the novelty of doing it while running, but I don't tend to pee much while working out, which is good, because since this episode, I've never worn a diaper while running strenuously again. There was no ammonia chemistry involved in my undoing, it was strictly mechanical: the leg elastics of that GoodNite, which I think are made from Kevlar, held up spectacularly, but they acted like a band saw on the outside edges of my nether region. I stopped running after about kilometre 5, and walked the rest of the way, cursing what I had done to myself, and seriously considering ducking into some bushes, and just tearing the damned thing off. When I got home, I took an agonizing shower, and then went without a diaper for the next 24 hours or so, wearing my loosest boxers under my loosest shorts. Diaper cream, though, I used in abundance. 

I've told this story on my thread before, so I will keep this short, but the diaper rash that resulted from that episode nearly put me out of diapers before I was actually really "in" diapers; somehow an ingrown hair, that I believe resulted from the unprecedented chaffing, turned septic and degraded into an immensely painful abscess in a very sensitive area, that I had to go have lanced. It was hellish. (Having a stock of diapers did help, though, with keeping the area "bandaged" - I simply stopped using the diapers for their intended purpose, but kept wearing them). Had my wife found out that those awful couple of weeks two years ago were a result of a stupid wardrobe experiment gone terribly wrong, I don't think I would be sitting here at noon on a rainy Thursday, in a diaper, typing this out. Or, maybe I'd be in a diaper, but not one she knew about. 

14 hours ago, Stroller said:

Readers, I was that baby.  I walk 4 or 5 miles nearly every day, walking Binky, in a cloth nappy.  Terry is more likely to cause rubbing than my other cloth nappies, but usually I get away with wearing terry, if that's what I feel like wearing.  But...

1.  I worked up to this gradually, learning which nappies & plastic pants work for me without chafing.

2.  I use BodyGlide every day on my inner thighs, where I'd otherwise be likely to get chafing.

3.  I've been wearing cloth nappies every day for nearly 2 years now, so my skin has adapted to a bit of friction.

4.  I switch to different nappies if I get any chafing, ones that don't rub in that area, & don't wear the ones that caused the chafing until my skin's recovered.

So, don't give up just because you hit trouble the first time!  Good luck with it...

Yep.  I haven't shut the door on this one yet but if I go for a walk in a wet cloth nappy again, I'm thinking about a Babykins cotton pull-up as opposed to a folded and pinned terry.  There is just too much friction in the wrong places with that.  Kite-folded terry + hike = NO.  I always undertake my exercise walk in nappies (at this stage, it would be at best uncomfortable for me NOT to), just not THOSE ones.  Usually lately it's an ABU Simple under lycra-banded plastic pants: perfectly comfortable wet or dry.

12 hours ago, Little Sherri said:

Everything you said there is impressive, @Stroller; I haven't gone further in a cloth nappy than one end of my house to the other. I take my hat off in respect, @oznl; you are once again at the vanguard - I would probably have tried this, sooner or later, so I am benefiting from your being the blast shield for the rest of us.

Yes, if anybody is thinking of doing anything potentially stupid in nappies, it's worth skimming this thread to see if I've already done it ?  As I've said before, it could be that my purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others...

12 hours ago, Little Sherri said:

, but the diaper rash that resulted from that episode nearly put me out of diapers before I was actually really "in" diapers;

Yes, a bit sore down there today but I think everything is salvageable.  I've used extra rash cream and I'm moderately confident that it's just chafing aggravated by a bit of pee.  I will live.

Those who wear nappies must expect rashes.

9 hours ago, oznl said:

As I've said before, it could be that my purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others...

I laughed out loud at this. I have a bottle cap from a local craft brewery in a catch-all cup for pens & screws and paperclips on my desk; under the cap, it says "The purpose of your life is to serve as a warning for others." I probably drank that beer four or five years ago, but I have held onto that cap!

• Like 1

Funny reading the last couple of posts.  This must be a 'lockdown thing' but 2 weeks ago I decided to get back on my treadmill.  I've been incredibly lazy and wallowing around in a nappy all day whilst on conference calls all day from 9-6pm and I feel a bit unhealthy.  Sadly (or fortunately, I shouldn't complain), my work has been full on and I can't exercise in the morning, never have been able to, I need to have lunch and come 6pm when I wrap up, it's family meal time and who wants to exercise after that?

So I thought I'd try to shut work out at 5pm which is not as easy as it sounds because I work with a load of people who seem to come alive at that time, when I'm totally the opposite and am useless at work between 4-7pm.  I do like working again later 10/11pm in the evenings though.  But anyway, come 5pm I thought what the hell, let's get on that treadmill and get fitter again.

Thinking about time and efficiency, I threw on some running shoes and just thought I'd run with a fairly wet nappy (and plastic pants) on under my shorts.  It was a weird experience ... I "ran" for 40 minutes at a pace which I'm not sharing with you :)  but I was surprised that I had no chafing or anything. I didn't know if it was because of the amount of cream I already had on?  The killer was going to shower afterwards ... I honestly thought the toxicity of the ammonia was going to make me light-headed and pass out, hah!

Still, it was an interesting experiment.

Have I been back on the treadmill since? No. Different reason, I developed achilles tendonitis as I'm a tubby, lazy, unfit Dad-bod and didn't warm up properly. Oh well. Maybe next week ... 

2 hours ago, BedWetMark said:

, I threw on some running shoes and just thought I'd run with a fairly wet nappy (and plastic pants) on under my shorts.

Was it a disposable nappy, @BedWetMark? I've never tried running with plastic pants on. I haven't tried with a proper diaper either - my previous awful experience was in a GoodNites pull-up, but I assumed that a nappy would be worse, not better - more stuff, more bunching, more plastic, more elastics. Maybe I should have a go at it on my treadmill, where I can abandon ship at any point without walking ignominiously back home in my shredded diaper, leaving a Hansel & Gretel trail of stuffing behind me. Although if I put a torch to a decent diaper in, say, 60 minutes of running, I might still be disinclined to do that. I would really only consider it in one of my daytime nappies that cost like $1 each. Still... you've got me thinking. That XL GoodNites was rated to 125 lbs, and I probably weighed 185 at the time. Would a better-fitted product stand up better? I'm intrigued. But I have zero interest in becoming involved with the health system over it. If I have even the slightest discomfort, I'm pulling the ripcord. 

22 hours ago, Little Sherri said:

Was it a disposable nappy, @BedWetMark? I've never tried running with plastic pants on. I haven't tried with a proper diaper either - my previous awful experience was in a GoodNites pull-up, but I assumed that a nappy would be worse, not better - more stuff, more bunching, more plastic, more elastics. Maybe I should have a go at it on my treadmill, where I can abandon ship at any point without walking ignominiously back home in my shredded diaper, leaving a Hansel & Gretel trail of stuffing behind me. Although if I put a torch to a decent diaper in, say, 60 minutes of running, I might still be disinclined to do that. I would really only consider it in one of my daytime nappies that cost like $1 each. Still... you've got me thinking. That XL GoodNites was rated to 125 lbs, and I probably weighed 185 at the time. Would a better-fitted product stand up better? I'm intrigued. But I have zero interest in becoming involved with the health system over it. If I have even the slightest discomfort, I'm pulling the ripcord. 

Absolutely, I'm exclusively wearing Tykables at the moment (Unicorns, Puppers, whatever, I don't care, they're amazing nappies) - so I was wearing one of them with plastic pants over the top.

I have never been the best long distance runner, the best I've done 5km in is 26 minutes and that was 11 years ago ... running isn't my thing.  Boxing, Krav Maga and generally fighting sports are my thing, but not running, football, tennis, rugby or anything like that.  

Anyway, so yes, it was a sloooooooow 'run', but it held up well for me.

New experience today though. We had the paddling pool out in the garden for my son, my wife was sat in it, my son was messing around coming down the slide into it, general things that a young lad loves to do.  My wife said to me (knowing I hadn't showered/changed) "why don't you sit down as well in it", with a smirk in her eye.  I thought about it and did anyway - massive baggy gardening shorts on, underneath I had plastic pants and a nappy.  Anyway, I stayed there for 10 mins or so cooling down then got out.  I was shocked, the plastic pants were a total lock out, none of the pool water got through - I was amazed as I expected to be struggling.