• Hindu
    • Buddhist
    • Athiest
    • Agnostic
    • Indigenous
    • Alternative
    • Other/no opinion

On 7/16/2020 at 7:49 AM, MorganRed said:

I simply saw the question that was asked and answered it. Atheists were listed in the poll so I assumed we were welcome even if it's not, by definition, a faith. And while, in person, I tend to prefer keeping religious people away considering the violence and hatred I've experienced at their hands, I think we can all agree that intercourse via the internet is a different matter. At least here, I'm not going to have to duck a punch aimed for my face. The worst anyone can do is get smug and condescending or use caps lock. I also don't recall mentioning anything about removing the thread from the website.

I'm not triggered by the concept of religion. The evil people do in the name of it is troubling, sure, but the concept is simply infantile and only troubling in the fact that people still fall for it.
And I suppose I could lie, sugarcoat, or whatever you'd like to call it and pretend religion has some validity left in this day and age, but honesty and directness has always been my preferred approach. I apologize if my candor offends. Social graces aren't my strength. Being extremely introverted has led to a lack of social interaction in person and online forums aren't exactly a bastion of polite decorum. And, to be fair, when I do run across people being polite, it comes across as insincere and I strive to avoid sounding like that. There's too much of that in the world as it is. I mean, you came across as a complete ass, but at least you sounded genuine. Anyway, cheers.

The literal heading of this sub-forum reads "(No anti-religion posts/comments allowed)". You can call me as many names as you'd like, but you're still violating the rules of the website. :)

2 hours ago, PinkGecko said:

The literal heading of this sub-forum reads "(No anti-religion posts/comments allowed)". You can call me as many names as you'd like, but you're still violating the rules of the website. :)

That's typical christians, as everyone that didn't believe in God got hanged

• Like 1
On 7/22/2020 at 1:15 AM, PinkGecko said:

Rules meant to be a crutch aren't something that holds water. And I haven't called you any names.

On 7/28/2020 at 8:32 PM, MorganRed said:

Rules meant to be a crutch aren't something that holds water. And I haven't called you any names.

I'm sorry, "no anti-religion posts" in a specifically religious sub-forum is a "crutch"? You must be one of those anti-maskers, aren't you?

My apologies, I though "you came across as a complete ass" seemed to breach into insulting territory, but I guess I was mistaken.To be fair, you come across like an entitled narcissistic cunt. What? I didn't call you a name, so that shouldn't be a problem. :)

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/1/2020 at 9:36 PM, PinkGecko said:

I'm sorry, "no anti-religion posts" in a specifically religious sub-forum is a "crutch"? You must be one of those anti-maskers, aren't you?

My apologies, I though "you came across as a complete ass" seemed to breach into insulting territory, but I guess I was mistaken.To be fair, you come across like an entitled narcissistic cunt. What? I didn't call you a name, so that shouldn't be a problem. :)

Anti-masker? Nah. Been wearing one since this shit storm started because I understand the actual reasons for it. Generally, the anti-maskers are the religious, anti-science, anti-intelligence crowd. I, on the other hand, am an avid proponent of science and, by default, furthering one's intelligence. Which is, funnily enough, the reason I dropped religion in the dustbin long ago. It is a crutch and, therefore, everything under its banner is a crutch, including the aforementioned "rule". Progress is the goal and religion is a massive drag on that; it's a weight holding humanity back.

And no, you didn't call me a name there, you described what you thought I was instead of straight up claiming it as a fact. Precision of language is a fun thing and something most people don't actually understand. You engaged it properly, even if your actual goal was to insult me with my own game. Petty and ineffectual but correctly done.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I honestly couldn't say. Deities were introduced to philosophy as a way to explain the world around us, but as we learn more about the world, a supreme being pulling the strings seems less plausible.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Interesting Forum - have been on and off DD for a number of years, but never noticed this subforum.  Thanks to all who contributed.

I enjoyed reading the above posts, even some that touched on the downsides of religion.  I may be a person of faith, but I also think it's hard to argue against the "abuses of religion".  I'm not talking specifically about the clergy abuse that has infected the Catholic church for a century or more now, but rather of the historical use of religion as a tool to control.  It must have become obvious at some point to those in power by convincing the masses of their ignorance and/or inability to understand the creator or have a personal relationship with one, their behavior could more easily be influenced.  When it became more about control and influence than about enlightenment, spiritualization, and self-improvement, well...hard to say only good things about it.

So oftentimes, I find it very difficult to blame those people who identify as atheist or such.  A very good friend of mine is atheist, and one thing I need to remind myself is that one of the worst ways I can "disrespect" him as a friend in my mind is to feel bad for him, i.e., thinking "I feel bad that he will never know God, etc."  As soon as I do, I think it then takes on the tone of those that think that because others don't buy into their religion, that they are "going to their religion's hell," or what have you.

Also being in a profession of the hard sciences, many of us know that there seems to be more and more "proof against the existence of God" in the veins of modern physics and biology.  I think continuing to hold a belief in a higher power need not be precluded by this; some very notable scientists tend to straddle the fence on this (some very seminal thoughts and philosophy if you read about some of A. Einstein's views on God.)

I also think it interesting that I happened upon this forum during the holiday season, when at least some of us are reminded of some of the tenets of our faith.  I'm sure some are better practitioners of our faiths than others, but this whole idea of "Good Christian" still is a sticking point for me.  I remember reading a bit about Anton LaVey, who I believe was one of the founders of modern Satanism.  He made an excellent point about men who, and I quote, live in vice one day, and then ask for forgiveness the next, as if there faith absolved them of the need to try and make fewer mistakes to begin with, to "do less evil and more good", rather than just fall back on the idea that "we are sinners and are unable to help it".

Again, good conversations.

Happy Holidays / Solstice / Christmas / Chaunnakah / Kwanzaa.  And here's hoping for a new year better than this, as I heard someone put it, "Dumpster Fire inside a train wreck of a year" 2020.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I grew up agnostic and 3 years ago I read a book on zen Buddhism and was very interested , so I found a local zen center in my town and have continued practicing in the sôtô zen lineage since then . I've moved out to a new town with no zen center near where I live but I've continued practicing and reading about zen . 

On 12/5/2020 at 12:45 PM, IndianaJ35 said:

Interesting Forum - have been on and off DD for a number of years, but never noticed this subforum.  Thanks to all who contributed.

I enjoyed reading the above posts, even some that touched on the downsides of religion.  I may be a person of faith, but I also think it's hard to argue against the "abuses of religion".  I'm not talking specifically about the clergy abuse that has infected the Catholic church for a century or more now, but rather of the historical use of religion as a tool to control.  It must have become obvious at some point to those in power by convincing the masses of their ignorance and/or inability to understand the creator or have a personal relationship with one, their behavior could more easily be influenced.  When it became more about control and influence than about enlightenment, spiritualization, and self-improvement, well...hard to say only good things about it.

So oftentimes, I find it very difficult to blame those people who identify as atheist or such.  A very good friend of mine is atheist, and one thing I need to remind myself is that one of the worst ways I can "disrespect" him as a friend in my mind is to feel bad for him, i.e., thinking "I feel bad that he will never know God, etc."  As soon as I do, I think it then takes on the tone of those that think that because others don't buy into their religion, that they are "going to their religion's hell," or what have you.

Also being in a profession of the hard sciences, many of us know that there seems to be more and more "proof against the existence of God" in the veins of modern physics and biology.  I think continuing to hold a belief in a higher power need not be precluded by this; some very notable scientists tend to straddle the fence on this (some very seminal thoughts and philosophy if you read about some of A. Einstein's views on God.)

I also think it interesting that I happened upon this forum during the holiday season, when at least some of us are reminded of some of the tenets of our faith.  I'm sure some are better practitioners of our faiths than others, but this whole idea of "Good Christian" still is a sticking point for me.  I remember reading a bit about Anton LaVey, who I believe was one of the founders of modern Satanism.  He made an excellent point about men who, and I quote, live in vice one day, and then ask for forgiveness the next, as if there faith absolved them of the need to try and make fewer mistakes to begin with, to "do less evil and more good", rather than just fall back on the idea that "we are sinners and are unable to help it".

Again, good conversations.

Happy Holidays / Solstice / Christmas / Chaunnakah / Kwanzaa.  And here's hoping for a new year better than this, as I heard someone put it, "Dumpster Fire inside a train wreck of a year" 2020.

I'll start by saying I'm an atheist and an expert in physics.

People don't realize that Albert Einstein was fundamentally wrong about quantum mechanics because of his preconceptions from his religious beliefs. He would not have been able to understand modern physics today, because of that limitation and as a result been unable to think of lasers or modern day computers as a result. Their is a lesson there actually. I think there is no issue in believing in a God as long as you remember that the tenets of your religion are for wisdom and not knowledge. If you do that, then you can keep moving forward while also avoiding the traps in life.

There are good lessons to be learned in most religions. The Dharma in Buddhism reads a lot like the sevens habits of highly effective people and Dave Ramsey gives great advice on money management. I saw their wisdom and it fundamentally changed how I ran my household, but I left their beliefs at the front door. Whether or not you agree with their beliefs is your choice, but it shouldn't matter.

• Like 1

As for me and my house I will serve the Lord. That sums up my faith.

For those here who claim no faith of course that’s your choice but in reality everyone has faith in something be it yourself or something else.

God is ever present in everything we see in our world today and He loves everyone and would hope everyone come to Him. 

God bless all 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Diapered Jason said:

I'll start by saying I'm an atheist and an expert in physics.

People don't realize that Albert Einstein was fundamentally wrong about quantum mechanics because of his preconceptions from his religious beliefs. He would not have been able to understand modern physics today, because of that limitation and as a result been unable to think of lasers or modern day computers as a result. Their is a lesson there actually. I think there is no issue in believing in a God as long as you remember that the tenets of your religion are for wisdom and not knowledge. If you do that, then you can keep moving forward while also avoiding the traps in life.

There are good lessons to be learned in most religions. The Dharma in Buddhism reads a lot like the sevens habits of highly effective people and Dave Ramsey gives great advice on money management. I saw their wisdom and it fundamentally changed how I ran my household, but I left their beliefs at the front door. Whether or not you agree with their beliefs is your choice, but it shouldn't matter.

Thanks for taking the time to reply - I appreciated your response.

I didn't know that about Einstein - thanks for sharing.  I think what you said about wisdom vs. knowledge was good too.

I have a good friend who is also in the hard sciences, but identifies as Buddhist.  He was talking a bit about how Buddhism and modern physics appear to be "converging" in a sense, especially when it comes to concepts like karma, and it being little more than cause and effect.  We had some good discussions on the subject, because I'd read a little about it (and also took one course on modern physics for my degree...it was difficult for me, and a very big step from classical physics.)

12 hours ago, IndianaJ35 said:

I have a good friend who is also in the hard sciences, but identifies as Buddhist.  He was talking a bit about how Buddhism and modern physics appear to be "converging" in a sense, especially when it comes to concepts like karma, and it being little more than cause and effect.  We had some good discussions on the subject, because I'd read a little about it (and also took one course on modern physics for my degree...it was difficult for me, and a very big step from classical physics.)

Interesting point.  Does reincarnation tie into this at all?  Some Buddhists say that there are a nearly infinite number of past and future lives for every person, similar to the idea in science of there being parallel universes for every situation.

• Like 1
On 12/21/2020 at 1:41 AM, Firefly 35 said:

Interesting point.  Does reincarnation tie into this at all?  Some Buddhists say that there are a nearly infinite number of past and future lives for every person, similar to the idea in science of there being parallel universes for every situation.

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond.

Re: reincarnation -- I think so (I know the word came up numerous times in conversations with my friend, but I can't remember for sure the denominational context).  Of the Eastern religions, I think there are some that believe in reincarnation, and some that believe in no afterlife or existence at all after you die - you just "become energy", to put it imprecisely.

The idea of "parallel universes" for every situation is an interesting one too.  I think in a quantum sense, there's an array of probabilistic causes for every effect, and the observation determines which one "wins out" (or "won out" - even that might be a question - sometimes outcomes can be determined or altered by the very act of observing / measuring.)

While I happen to be a person of faith, I completely understand that people out there can make good (and mostly justifiable) claims that I am suffering from an irrational delusion.  But the way I see it, if I ensure that my delusion affects no one but me, then I'm not hurting anyone by clinging to it, right?

• 1 month later...

Religious ideology and culture aren't bad, but I have met many people whose ideology cause arrogance in their character due to religious indoctrination. I was one such person, but now continually seek to understand other views and arguments that people make, which could accurately be depicted as trading one faith for another in its own right, but having thought "...because my pastor said God says so..." at one point in my life, it does hit me hard when I see that in others. Don't particularly intend to force my own beliefs (or lack) onto others, but there is always a certain arrogance present whenever religion and/or politics are brought up.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I don't have a faith is the most accurate answer I can give, so that makes me an atheist. (Note, in my definition atheism is absence of belief in god, NOT belief in absence of god - that I call anti-theism).

I'll dare to be controversial when I don't add the obligatory addendum that "I respect everyone's belief", because if I am to be honest, I do not automatically respect a belief simply because someone holds it. 

I respect everyone's right to have a belief  (which must entail the right to express it, as long as it's expressed in a manner that doesn't violate other's freedom of expression), but not necessarily the belief itself.

Why? Because beliefs are not equal.

You can, for example, believe that the Earth is flat. I will respect your right to hold that belief and share it, and as long as your method of expressing it isn't violent or abusive, the only way I will respond is with civil discourse (well, ideally that's what I should do, but since nobody is perfect, there's a good chance I will also respond with sarcasm, condescending tone or other unpleasant ways, and I will accept criticism for it afterwards.) 

But, I do not respect the belief per se (that Earth is flat), because Earth quite demonstrably is not flat, and therefore a belief that the Earth is flat is ignorant of facts, and that means it is not equal to the belief that Earth is round, because the former is based on nonsense, and latter is based on facts.

Belief on its own does not warrant my respect.
Effort made towards discovery is what warrants my respect. 

But, there's a catch. If you plunge yourself into the discovery of truth with a pre-existing belief, it may come into conflict with your findings, and then you might tend to lead the evidence, instead of following the evidence. That puts you at a disadvantage than if you started your discovery of truth with a clean slate.

So, I have respect for those who made an effort towards discovery.

I have even more respect for those, who had to make even more effort towards discovery, when their findings were in conflict with their pre-existing belief, and they were able to overcome their bias and change their mind in light of newly discovered evidence.

Whom I don't have much respect for, are those who obstinately hold onto their beliefs, make zero effort towards new discovery, and when their belief is challenged with presentation of evidence to the contrary, they will dismiss it without any scrutiny, and double down on their belief. Stubbornness is not a virtue in my book.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm a mix of the Hindu school of advaita vedanta, along with hermetic qabbalah.

Basically I believe God emanated all of reality, from the subtle spiritual worlds to the gross material world. God simultaneously exists in oneness and bliss but allows lesser degrees of its consciousness (ie egos or "jivas") to exist within the spiritual and physical world, to participate in the grand play called "Lila" in Hinduism. The jivas can not perceive their full connection with God, so they exist in a state of "Maya" which means "illusion" or "magic", and also caught within the cycle of death and rebirth called the "Wheel of Samsara." 

In my religion if one wishes to escape the cycle, they must deal with their karma to obtain moksha through spiritual practice and devotion.

• 1 year later...

I'm a Modern Hellenist myself. Meaning I practice the a form of the Greeco-roman faiths and treat the different interpretations of the gods as independent epiphets of the same being. I.e. Jupiter as an epiphet of Zeus. I in particular am a devotee to Dionysus, especially interested in Dionysus Bacchus, but I am devoted to all three epiphets of the Thrice-born.

I unfortunately am unable to be as devout as I would like to be however. As it's a shrine and altar worship faith and my father unfortunately believes my faith to be devil worship. While I'm still living with him I have to keep it hidden due to his ignorant belief. This brings me alot of stress from my inability to share Eros with the gods through ritual.

I love Jesus and have most of my life.  As I live in Australia I attend an ACC church (Australian Christian Church) which has its roots in Assemblies of God.  Interestingly enough I thought most of my life that being an ABDL or AKDL was against God’s commands even though I felt deep down that I wanted to be this way.  Thank you for this form and my wife for showing me that it wasn’t true and that God loves the ABDL and AKDL.

On 2/4/2021 at 5:33 AM, horrorfan said:

Religious ideology and culture aren't bad, but I have met many people whose ideology cause arrogance in their character due to religious indoctrination. I was one such person, but now continually seek to understand other views and arguments that people make, which could accurately be depicted as trading one faith for another in its own right, but having thought "...because my pastor said God says so..." at one point in my life, it does hit me hard when I see that in others. Don't particularly intend to force my own beliefs (or lack) onto others, but there is always a certain arrogance present whenever religion and/or politics are brought up.

That’s actually pride, and if someone is prideful in their religion that is a sin