LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Don't be a dick: Word Crimes Edition

DailyDi

Over the last few days I have seen several members insult a certain member over his spelling and grammar. They were all unaware that this member has a learning disability and uses software to aid him - and that software doesn't always get the words right; and his condition doesn't allow him to recognize the mistakes as mistakes.

• Like 5

I thought one of the rules was "Don't be an ass' :P

Kidding!.......just kidding! :blush: ( I had to do that even though my name isn't "Richard" (aka 'dick" :roflmao:

I know I'm one of the grammar police here, but being slightly dyslexic myself I also know most can overcome this. I've also been through college, and work as an electrical designer so I know that actually putting fourth the effort, as well as practicing, will make your writing better.

Needless to say I have to carefully watch my spell checker for when a red underline appears. I also have to proof read, then completely re-read every single post. Additionally, I often post and reply from my smart phone (as I am now) , so I really have to watch for typos and autocorrect as well.

As I see it, if I can post a reply that is correctly spelled and properly formed, then so can everyone else. Yes, there will be some exceptions for people with severe disabilities, but any online forum that is purely text based must have proper communication for it to work properly. A simple basis of understanding is NOT enough for actual communication.

This said, I do keep it toned down unless there is a serious attempt to kill the English language. I don't care about a missed word here or there, or a misspelled word or four. Heck, I'm human too and make plenty of mistakes myself. What I do care about is when it very much looks like someone is not putting any effort into their spelling or grammar. Those are the types of word crimes I just can't let go unsaid.

As for those with a disability or impairment, may I suggest a short warning/disclaimer in the signature line? I'd bet that would go a long way to reduce our (my) tendency from pointing out they need to put some effort into it (especially since they already are).

Now, if only we can get people to read more than just the most current post too....

• Like 1

No problem, English is a very hard language.

I have have a bit of trouble with it sometimes and I'm a fairly intelligent guy with English as my first language.

Keep the posts coming, and try your best. If I can't get the gist in the first read, I'll throw another hamster on the wheel, and think harder.

• Like 1

Well put. This isn't an English class. It's a forum for people to share similar feelings. It's not like we're being graded or anything. I'm a stickler for correct grammar and good English usage, too, but I can let it slide when it isn't totally necessary.