LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Hospital Time -- What To Do?

Guest fakename7

Guest fakename7

i just found out that i'm going to have to have surgery soon to remove the lap band i had put in almost three years ago.

I would suggest going without the diapers, but if you do wet, don't panic. If you are having surgery and will be recuperating overnight, having an incontinent episode may not be all that abnormal. I'd just put your call light on, own up to it, ask for a depends product and by the time the nurse leaves the room, she probably won't even give it a second thought. If they offer a catheter, explain you'd rather not have the increased risk of infection r/t the catheter and will just "deal" with the depends for the night. She's not gonna want to cath you if she doesn't have to. Takes more time. So does helping you to the bathroom verses helping you clean up an incontinent episode in a depends, by the way, so the nurses will be fine with you using a depends instead of calling for assistance to go to the bathroom.

Agreed. Not having Been through this, but having a doctor as a father, and asking about such a scenario. He told me its just common-place. Most bring their own supplies, as they know what works best, for them. Tell the nurse, or doctor during intake, and that's that. It's a non issue. Just another day. I think the opposite, of what your dr. Dl. Friend said. Your going to be under stress, mentally and physically. Changing things up would put more stress on things. Not less. Ad to the burden. Not take from it. -Blake-

• Like 1

If I were in your situation I'd wear diapers going in, and then I'd tell the intake nurse that I am incontinent and wear diapers. Hospitals are well equipped to handle this kind of situation, I believe.

I agree with what others have posted. I have been twice in the hospitol since being back in diapers 24/7.

As long as you are clear with the hospital regarding your needs, you should be all set.

During the pre-admission meeting, I told them I was incon and was in diapers. They said it would be better if I brought my own diapers, as the hospital diapers were not the best quality.

They asked me what assistance I needed and offered to help in any way they could.

I was able to change my own diaper, but needed assistance standing, as I diaper myself while standing.

It was a very positive experience.

Whether you wear by choice or for need, be confident in the fact that you are back in diapers, accept it, own it.

If you do this, others will as well.

Good luck.

I've been through this twice since I became incontinent, and each time they gave me a urinal rather than put me in diapers. I detest urinals because I find it hard to urinate in them without spilling the contents all over my sheets. When I told them I preferred using diapers, they didn't give me any trouble--I got my diapers. But yeah, I do wish could have brought my own from home--since my hospital stays were unexpected (both because of serious injuries) there was no way I could plan ahead like some of the people here.

I've been through this twice since I became incontinent, and each time they gave me a urinal rather than put me in diapers. I detest urinals because I find it hard to urinate in them without spilling the contents all over my sheets. When I told them I preferred using diapers, they didn't give me any trouble--I got my diapers. But yeah, I do wish could have brought my own from home--since my hospital stays were unexpected (both because of serious injuries) there was no way I could plan ahead like some of the people here.

If your incontinent why would they give you a urinal? Im incont and my bladder empty's at will. So a urinal wouldn't be a help. But any way on the OP'S question when I was in the hospital diapers were no issue. What I thought was cool they call them depends. At least it is better than calling them briefs.

At the time, I wet mainly when I was sitting in my wheelchair, but didn't do it often lying down. The diapers were mainly a "just in case" measure. I can only guess that gravity took hold once I got in the chair. These days I don't think a urinal would work for me, either, since I wet in whatever position I happen to be in.

I really think its all a matter of what you have in your head..

Before I become actually incon due to nerve damage, I was DL. I used to worry about these things all the time. Could I do it? Will people find out? How can I manage diapers in this situation?

Many times, these questions kept me from wearing diapers as often as I wanted to.

Then I became incon and suddenly there was no choice anymore.

The questions changed from will people find out, to how will I handle it when people find out.

It actually doesnt matter what the hospital thinks, I need to wear a diaper and nothing they say is gonna change that.

I am discovering that I can handle more than I thought, and a 24/7 lifestyle. whether for want or need, is very manageable, and very satisfying.

• Like 1
Guest fakename7

Thank you all SO MUCH for the support and good advice! i feel MUCH more at ease and confident now, knowing that i can wear my diapers like i should. At this point in my journey, any time undiapered is just wrong. i don't have an issue with them putting a cath in me, but that would be the only other acceptable option.

Hell, i can't even remember the last time i tried to aim into a toilet---would probably be a disaster!

I have been in hospital and half the ward I am on are in some sort of nappy pant,I have had bowel surgery and asked the nursing staff for the nappy pants/all in ones depending on what ward I have been on as to what you get.If you are up and about you will have to change yourself or you do in the uk unless you are incapable, no one cares what each other are wearing as they say What goes on in hospital stays in hospital.I wasn't incontinent when I first went into hospital but now due to adhesion I leak from the bladder and leak from the bottom and have sudden calls from my bowels but try not to use inco wear as to me it is a pleasure/pastime and am reluctant to have to wear 24/7 with no fun.

I've been under several surgeries, all while diapered (or at least entering the O.R. I was). Show up wearing a diaper and they will be obligated to supply you more as needed- regardless if you have a "true" need for them or not. Sure it complicates things for the nurses but that's their job. Beware though, most hospitals supply extremely cheap diapers. That's why most people bring their own, which I would recommend. Make sure you bring enough to last you an extra day or two though, an overnight stay can easily lead to an extra day of observation and recovery. Lastly, don't be afraid of letting the nurses change you as needed, especially right after the surgery. You may feel like you can do it yourself (and embarrassed) but moving around too much, too soon, can only complicate things (and lead to that extra day I mentioned).

It's not so much whether you can do without diapers or not :huh: It's more that this is your choice of underwear and so long as it's not interfering with your treatment it's none of their business <_< They are supposed to be professionals and that's how they are supposed to see it too ;) One's mental health has a lot to do with one's physical healing and anything that gives you comfort and confidence without causing harm is a good thing for you no matter what anyone else thinks. This is your life- live it the way you want to :thumbsup:

Pupcerberus

Lol... I'm sure you can aim a squirtgun, so I,m sure you can hit a toilet!

Now, as your guts are going to be extremely sore, you might well want to consider a condom catheter setup under your diaper, so as you don't have to change it too often, and thus avoid causing that extra day's stay. Again, bring your own and do a pre-consult with the nurses, and possibly practice beforehand. You are incontinent, and you want to take the best possible care of yourself. The nurses really have seen it all before, and will be completely pragmatic, and glad you take the same approach.

Guest fakename7

Pupcerberus

Lol... I'm sure you can aim a squirtgun, so I,m sure you can hit a toilet!

You'd think so, but as part of my training, i've always made a point of just "letting go" without using the muscles men usually use to forcefully expel piss. If i have to use any muscle effort to get started (which still happens when lying down often), i concentrate on using abdominal-area muscles to put pressure on the bladder. i may not be describing it well, but the point is i don't use the muscles that i used to use to piss a forceful, directed stream. After almost a year and a half, my wetting dribbles on its own, rather than intentional "pissing." i believe those muscles have weakened, and "shooting" an aimed stream of piss would be pretty difficult already. Eventually, it should be pretty much impossible.

Guest fakename7

Well, i did it. The hospital intake person called me today with a whole lot of health questions. She asked if there was anything else they should know, and i told her that i needed to wear adult diapers. She asked if i had urinary incontinence, and i said yes. She asked if it was "pretty much all the time." i told her it was, and that i hadn't tried to have it treated, but just dealt with it. She said something about how there might not be any treatment anyway, and let me know that i could wear under my surgical gown with no problem.

Of course that "pretty much all the time" question makes me wonder if i'll wake up with a catheter....

If a catheter is not something you want then you might want to bring that to the hospital staff's attention. They might object; have protocols in place that require indwelling, though.

Guest fakename7

Just to be clear. i have no problem whatsoever with the hospital managing my reported incontinence by inserting a catheter. i totally expect those sorts of "indignities" or "hassles" as part of my desires. In fact, if the nurses were less than cautious on an "already incontinent" person, and inadvertently did something to contribute to that reality, that would be a huge bonus to me.