LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Protex "can't Believe It's Not Gerber" Pants

What is the material like?

It's a very soft, slightly stretchy vinyl. A little more clingy than say Gary's standard material. Gets buttery soft with your body heat. The tint is very light, really closer to clear in use.

Smooth or grainy?

Thank you. Many of the Gerber baby panties I have seen are anywhere from a bit to quite grainy and some have been smooth like the once on Andrea Lynne Rache Christine and Lisa Michelle Denise Christine so Gerber varies quite a bit

Those look super sexy! I really prefer that smooth buttery texture as well. The tags on the pants are cool too. Gonna have to check these out. Always happy to see quality adult baby stuff made in USA!

• Like 1

Dolly Andrea Lynn Rachel Christine Paradise and Dolly Lisa Michelle Denise Christine Paradise are put in Gerber's and they are smooth (that is all the Paradises has put on us

What were Gerber's like in earlier times, like the 1950's-60's? I have seen, in the 1980's, plenty that were grainy

Some brands, like Sears and BabyMade had both kinds at the same time with a difference in price.

In the 1990's I saw a brand caled "Regent" or "Regency" (I only saw 2 packages and got them for my dolly so I may have forgotten the exact name) that were smooth but then material

This fascination with Gerber is interesting. Here in Australia we never had any of that brand and so I have no idea what most of you are referring to. The pants linked to in the OP look quite nice but they are very expensive and Christine...

Christine...

I haven't found anything that feels like the "rubber pants" of the Fifties and early Sixties, but as I recall, they didn't breathe too well. I like the polyurethane laminate waterproof pants that I make. They breathe well and don't make me feel all sweaty and damp--even when wearing all night. They are also rip resistant, durable, and easy to wash. The trick to sewing them, I found, is to use a jersey needle in the sewing machine. Also, using 1/2" elastic for the waistband and 3/8" elastic in the leg openings makes them fit better than using really small elastic.

Then you are not a real retro baby, Babykin rubber panties are just the thing

http://www.dailydiapers.com/board/index.php?showtopic=31570

If you are thickly diapered then the "breathing" is irrlevent. What I wear is not a problem except on the very hottest days. If you are properly diapered, there is an air gap between your body and the diaper and I am heavily powdered

There were non-"rubber" baby panties by the mid-1950's The DD Museum has "Softex" nylon panties which go back to the early 1950's but I never saw them in real life. It was always "Rubber or plastic" and it was all called "rubber"

An interesting question naturally arises from this thread. Are you seeking to re-experience babyhood per se or rather seeking to recreate the exact experience of YOUR babyhood? The desire for the exact same waterproof pants does seem to support the latter conclusion. My baby wears modern cloth nappies and plastic pants but are there really that many differences between the current plastci pants and these old ones other than more durable now?

You just asked two of the most insightful questions going

What you use is what you are comfortable with. That was set by what was there then because that is what you know. The general rule in life is "you go with what you know". Throw-away diapers, non-plastic/rubber panties and to, some extent, rhumba and fancy panties give me the creeps. The grainy material was for the poor folks and did not last as long as the smoother, thicker material and I do not recall it before about 1954

There is not that much difference except between the very earliest plastic pantis and the current ones. They were longer in the side seams, they did not have forward facing legs but were more like two "rear"s attached together and the leg openings were not as sharply angled from crotch to side seams and the crotch was relatively wider, in adult terms that would be about 14" long in the side seams, and a 14" crotch at the narrowest point and more fully cut. The idea was to get excellent coverage of the diaper and adjusting the fit was done as needed when you put the diaper on. As you can see, the modern style was already in existence by 1952 if you look at the DD museum. I think that prefolds contributed to that design change. Many early plastic panties were homemade during the war. I have had no reliable information as to when commercially available plastic panteis came out. Before prefolds, it was "fold your own". Many, if not most, diapers were homemade as it was easy enough in 1950 to do and parents at that time had lived through the Depression or were Depression babies and were chary with money. The desing of the earliest panties made it easier or maybe even possible to tuck in the waist and leg bands. when in place the babypanties looked like short, medieval pantaloons and were sometimes called "baby bloomers". I had never heard of tucking the waist and legs under the diapers until about 25 years ago in DPF and I saw plenty of diaper changes. I do not recall seeing the grainy material until 1954 and the thinner materials did not become significant until the 1970's. The panties that were put on me around 1948 were made of a kind of ecru colored material that was used for other things that I have seen, They were used on my sister in 1950 and I last saw them on one of my cousins' dolls in 1954 or 5 and only the elastics were deteriorating although the material was not that soft even when I wore them (I felt them once and they were a bit crinkly on my sister) and I was the second youngest of four but whether they were new with me I do not know. Now I have some Comco's that are over 10 years old and the elastics ar dead but the material is still in good shape

But aside from being a bit trimmer than those from between about 1952 to about 1965. modern panties are not that different than the older ones

That fits with what I saw in the early 1980's

Angela would know what they were like in the 1960's

There is a question implied in this thread.Unless you are Angela and were involved in the brand of rubber panties that you were in at an age at which you would know these things. How do you know what you had when you were little. I do not even remember what I had at 6 and 7. I was put in them at 3 different places as a girl, which I explain in my blog, one far more often than the other two. There were snap-on, pull on plastic and rarely, pull on rubber. The only thing I knew about labels was that they marked the back and I did not even put them on myself. It was not until much later that I was aware of specific companies other than Playtex and I am pretty sure that there were no Gerber, this having all been before 1955

So what is the big attachment to Gerber unless, for the most part, that is the big name in baby items, but there is also Carters (I do not know if they made rubber panties)). In fact, I never even knew that Gerber made bay panties until about 1968. . There were also Chix and Dundee. I understand Gerber made adult panties: Yes? No? VIP is reputed to have made upsized Gerber clones as I understand for the last dozen years. The first adult panties I found was Kleinert's in the mid 196's. These were made of a smooth, soft white material which they had discontinued by the late 1970's in favor of a somewhat grainy translucent. I also knew about the Salk products in the middle 1060's

There is a question implied in this thread.Unless you are Angela and were involved in the brand of rubber panties that you were in at an age at which you would know these things. How do you know what you had when you were little. I do not even remember what I had at 6 and 7.

You "country folks" have a lot of it right. When I was little, a $5.00 "light" bill was considered obscene. Having and not wanting is better than wanting and not having. But then, we grew up in houses with attics and basements, not 3-room apartments. Until the mid 1950's, stores did not emigrate to the suburbs and a trip "down city" was a once-a-week thing at best, so we had to be pretty self-contained. It is still surprising that you still had your baby things though, since, where I came from and even in the post-Depression era cities, they were given to some relative to use with their children

While I do not know what happened to the peach panties that I rmember. The translucent tan or ecru ones, I saw used on my sister when I was 4 in 1950 and in 1954 or 5, I saw them on one of my cousins' dolls. Though plastic of that type and color was common, they were the only panties of that color I have ever seen

Also, rubber panties were mad of thicker and more durable material when I was little