LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Mental Issues Vs Infantilism

This isn't meant to be a down-trodden looking for advice or encouragement topic, but rather as a sort of questionnaire. You see, I'm in counseling, & I've told my counselor, I think I have Borderline Personality Disorder. I was reading on www.understandinginfantilism.org , & I read something along the lines of that some people that have Borderline Personality Disorder are infantilists. (I was not aware of this either when My desires started or when I started with this counselor.) Anyway this makes me curious & wonders if any & how many of us have some sort of mental issue that our Desires stem from.

Rockies Fan

i delt with self-harm growing up and i have now fought urges and am now 3 years clean. i have struggled with it for about 8 years. I see me wearing diapers sometimes as a substatute then going back to the blade.. i dont know if that really makes any sense

This is a poll that was set up in the polling place forum with about 70 replies http://www.dailydiapers.com/board/index.php?showtopic=21202&hl=%2Bmental+%2Billness&fromsearch=1

This is another older poll with about 30 replies http://www.dailydiapers.com/board/index.php?showtopic=21202&hl=%2Bmental+%2Billness&fromsearch=1

THis is a whole forum where many of hte posters have been diagnosed with mental health impairments... http://www.dailydiapers.com/board/index.php?showforum=124&prune_day=100&sort_by=Z-A&sort_key=last_post&topicfilter=all&st=0

i offer these links not to be one of those "this has already been discussed" people, but more i know for some people it took them a lot to make the posts they have in these other forums, and they may not be able to post again here...

but also... if you take ANY population of people who have a like interest you are going to run across a myriad of physical and psychiatric illness's... I do not believe there is any link between mental illness and abdl, or any fetish behavior....

please please don't think that was the purpose of my thread... not at all.. fresh discussion is good...

like i said i just wanted to point those out, in case people did not reply to this one, because i know for some people, it was maybe hard enough to type their original replies, and might not be able to reply to another post.. so this way you can get some more info!

Mental illness is difficult to define. I recently ran across the concept of "successful schizophrenia" refering to individuals who suffer from the mental disorder but are able to integrate successfully into society. I think many practicing abdls are able to keep their paraphilia at bay and not be controlled by it. There probably isn't anyone here who doesn't have some degree of emotional or psychological disfunction. Does it differ from the incidence in the general population? Your guess is as good as mine.

-DR

Interesting, I also have social anxiety and ADHD. Though with taking medicine it has majorly helped. I'm not really sure if I would be wearing in public or not without it. But ya it could certainly increase you anxiety if you are worrying about them showing or getting a leak.

I used to be more neverous about wearing in public, but after wearing in public a lot for the past couple of years I don't think about it so much. LOL, the biggest anxiety now is just making sure my mom does not find out that I have been wearing again.

I have an anxiety/panic disorder that has been acting up really badly lately. I don't know if my desire for diapers stems from that but I know for sure I use diapers as a coping mechanism for the anxiety.

but also... if you take ANY population of people who have a like interest you are going to run across a myriad of physical and psychiatric illness's... I do not believe there is any link between mental illness and abdl, or any fetish behavior....

Maybe. The problem usually lies deeper that just the infantilism. You have to look at the root causes of how a particular individual became an infantilist and there may be a correlation between these events and the events that caused their mental issues. The same event that caused the infantilism could be the same event that caused the mental issue. Obviously, infantilism is a coping mechanism for many of you that fit this description.

Of course this is all speculation. I am not even an infantilist, I am just putting pieces together from different sources.

Many times people will also use past events simply as an excuse to justify their behavior or to pass off personal accountability. There may be a trend or pattern within the community however it is unwise and unfounded to simply state people are infantilists because they have mental disorders. everyone has issues and not everyone is an infantilist. Not every bipolar, BPD, DID, ADD, ADHD and so are infanitlists, so to make a correlation between the two is unfounded.

Many times people will also use past events simply as an excuse to justify their behavior or to pass off personal accountability. There may be a trend or pattern within the community however it is unwise and unfounded to simply state people are infantilists because they have mental disorders. everyone has issues and not everyone is an infantilist. Not every bipolar, BPD, DID, ADD, ADHD and so are infanitlists, so to make a correlation between the two is unfounded.

That is not quite what I meant. I'm obviously no psychologist so I can only guess when I say their are many different situations that lead to those disorders. I am just referring to the many cases I have heard where the infantilist had a traumatic childhood creating their fetish, and saying it is possible that these same events could create mental issues. Whether this is true or not remains to be seen, but it is a possible theory to answer the OP's question.

I've always said a lot of ABDLs have mental issues and are using infantilism as a crutch so they don't have to deal with the real world.

Fetish can be therapeutic, but it is NOT a substitute for real therapy. People, if you need help please go get it.

Well people like me,I'm just a diaper lover, I'm NOT interested in becoming an AB, tried it once, turned me right off.

However ageplay I might do in the future, not as a baby though as when I was a baby and very early childhood was great. But my early teens to now has been dreadful. Constant bullying until I was about 19.

But basically I was physically abused by a PE teacher when I was very young, I can't put my legs in the air on my back because of it. And I still remember what that bitch did. But was too young and too scared to say anything about it at the time.

Ok it wasn't sexual abuse, but physical abuse though which is bad enough.

Basically I couldn't do a backwards sommersalt properly in PE, and the PE teacher forced my legs over my head and basically dropped me in the air and I landed on my back. Now lucky that was on a PE mat or I probably would be paralysed then.

But it fucking winded me.

Any time a doctor/nurse tells me to lie on my back and put a leg up in the air or both, I totally freak out and get a panic attack. I know the doctor/nurse wouldn't physically injure me I hope. But that PE teacher mentally scarred me for life.

Once I had a stupid bitch of an occupational therapist not doing her job properly and was feeling up my spine and pressed rather too hard at certain points. And I couldn't walk properly for almost a day.

I've had some bully in secondary school in the science lesson, when the teacher left the room,the bully who tried to cut my throat with a scalpel(used for disecting a frog ewwwww), I grabbed it away cutting my fingers badly. Rather my fingers than throat though.

When teacher came back in the room, no one said who it was and the stupid teacher presumed I was playing around with it.

Another school I went to I had bullies spit in my food in another school I went to. And someone try and strangle me at another school. And a few people held my head and flushed the toilet in the bogs.

All because I got a disability and the stupid fucking teachers clearly singled me out to everyone at that school and sometimes made me work with a support worker.

Only sexual abuse(harassment) I had was some fucking creep when I stopped off for a piss at a motorway services toilet and was on my own some awful dodgy looking shack, and some old guy came in said "nice dick" when I was pissing in the trough thing.

And I ended up pissing my trousers and running out fast as I was in the middle of going. Sorry if that's a bit graphic, but the stuff that's happened to me in my life is truly horrible.

God knows why I got such a strong great memory of that, but it seems all the horrible things that happen to me in the past, I remwmber extremely well.

Only like diapers for a sexual fetish, comfort(stress reducer) and good mood enhancer. When I'm not getting off in them. They help me relax and reduce stress, instead of turning to shit like street drugs.

If I could eliminate the stress and anxiety and flat moods in my life resulting from epilepsy and the horrible side effects the anti-epiletic meds give me. Plus me having aspergers syndrome (a form of high funtioning autism). I'd probably only love diapers as a sexual fetish.

I wanted to get this off my chest FINALLY, and I guess this was the write topic to do it in.

The guy who tried to stab me when I was about 14-15, Now I'm 27. I know his full name and the school he was at with me. But has been so long he has probably changed so much in looks. Am kicking myself now, why I didn't go to the police.

The PE teacher that abused me was EVEN long ago when I was about 7 or so, can't remember exactly THAT long ago. But remember her teacher name and the school name.

Sorry if I had to vent my past very bad experiences here a bit....

It doesn't help that when you have something "obvious" like being an ab/dl, it really inspires you to look at your past and what might have made you that way. You might dig up a past trauma and pin it on that, even while the same thing does nothing for somebody else. If you read enough mental disorder descriptions you'll be sure you have one (I think there is a term for this, where first year med students start diagnosing themselves as they learn things!)

I've written a lot of blog entries here, a lot of livejournal entries, a lot of stuff trying to analyze it. A lot of it is really more symptom than cause. Diapers are stress relief... and being on here and on some other sites is a place where I can go to get attention. Even if I wear diapers and go on this site when I want attention and/or stress relief, that's only part of the puzzle. Why do I do those things? Well I wrote a blog entry on why diapers became linked to getting attention...

But even then, why is the stress there? It's quite possible ADHD causes chronic stress (okay, it does!). So the two are necessary together - diapers as a coping mechanism, and the need to cope.

Of course that's only one theory. Maybe tomorrow I'll have a new one.

I have to agree that no matter what type of group you poll there will always be a percentage that have a mental disorder. I doubt ABs or DLs can see a trend that links these disorders with a love for diapers or age play.

I agree that in my case as I explore my past, the infantilistic tendencies make perfect sense, however the fetish for diapers is still an unknown factor. I wouldn't say that everyone on here who identifies as an AB necessarily has a mental disorder, however I can imagine the infantilism stemming from a conscious or subconscious decision/reaction to events in life.

Borderline personality disorder encompasses a huge variety of personality issues. I think it would be closer to say that many infantilists have BPD, than to say people with BPD are infantilists.

Nevermind, I just re read the original post. I missed part of that sentence the first time.

Edited by Hookeondiapers

As for my medical problems and issues I got are:

Medical problems: migraine headaches, epilepsy, asthma, IBS,hayfever,sinus problems, allergies especially to penicillin which almost killed me once,varicose veins, male pattern baldness.

Other problems: Dyspraxia, Aspergers Syndrome (a form of high functioning autism), anxiety(sometimes extreme), panic attacks, certain extreme phobias.

Phobias of mine:

Fear of deep water (can't swim and nearly drowned 3 times). Anything over chest height or stomach height(with a strong current) I call deep.

Fear of Swimming pool drains(foot got stuck on one once, but luckily wasn't over my depth as I'm 6ft 3 tall) so a very valid phobia as that suction entrapment thing can kill or injure and has and been on the news.

Fear of heights(unless I'm in a very secure thing like a helicopter or plane) as I feel like I'm going to fall to my death or fall and get severelly injured.

Fear of going upsidedown( see my post above).

Fear of spiders(been bitten by a big spider once and it bloody hurt).

Fear of wasps,bees,hornets( obviously don't want to get stung, and never have so could be allergic to them).

Fear of big moths, beetles,cockroaches and most other bugs, I thing them horrible.

Fear of street gangs (I been beaten up badly once, chased another time against about 20 young adults with weapons).

Fear of the police if I did something wrong(ie: illegal) Used to when me and a friend smoked a spliff in public and was paranoid as fuck of being caught. Although it would probably just be a slap on the wrist/caution for the first time anyway, as I never been arrested for anything. But was wary since weed was made a class B from a class C.

Fear of doctors/nurses if it involves/causes physical pain (apart from a pin/needle prick), physical examinations or lying on my back.

Fear of hygenists/dentists if it involves/causes physical pain.

Fear of tailors dummies/mannequins.

Fear of puppets.

Fear of statues.

Fear of poltergeists (if they exsist...) I'm not religious or such, but heard something if you mess around with a Ouija Board in the wrong way it can cause poltergeist like activity, or is that bullshit?.... hmmmmmm

If it can truly move a glass and spell out words(and is not a magic trick?) when you place several hands, there must be SOMETHING weird going on there which is spiritual.

I thought I had BPD however no diagnosis has ever been made or attempted. My therapist went into our sessions stating he is not big on diagnosis and rather just address what is and isn't working in the individual's lfe. I would love to read the notes he takes, however I just have to keep things going as is.

Curiousity, if you do have BPD, as you stated to have thought, but yet not having a diagnosis, does that at all interfere with real life relationships that you have? I am curious of this because I am looking to be officially diagnosed so that if I say something out of turn, or that doesn't make sense, etc. I can say that I have BPD, but am getting treatment for it thus hoping that people will have empathy towards me instead of judging me.

Rockies Fan.

I thought I had BPD however no diagnosis has ever been made or attempted. My therapist went into our sessions stating he is not big on diagnosis and rather just address what is and isn't working in the individual's lfe. I would love to read the notes he takes, however I just have to keep things going as is.

Fetish can be therapeutic, but it is NOT a substitute for real therapy. People, if you need help please go get it.

Some things are more therapeutic than therapy... Like smashing an already broken appliance, or going target shooting... Or just venting frustrations on a good, violent video game. Or watching Jason Voorhees slaughter the kind of people who cause you grief...

As for my medical problems and issues I got are:

Medical problems: migraine headaches, epilepsy, asthma, IBS,hayfever,sinus problems, allergies especially to penicillin which almost killed me once,varicose veins, male pattern baldness.

Other problems: Dyspraxia, Aspergers Syndrome (a form of high functioning autism), anxiety(sometimes extreme), panic attacks, certain extreme phobias.

Phobias of mine:

Fear of deep water (can't swim and nearly drowned 3 times). Anything over chest height or stomach height(with a strong current) I call deep.

Fear of Swimming pool drains(foot got stuck on one once, but luckily wasn't over my depth as I'm 6ft 3 tall) so a very valid phobia as that suction entrapment thing can kill or injure and has and been on the news.

Fear of heights(unless I'm in a very secure thing like a helicopter or plane) as I feel like I'm going to fall to my death or fall and get severelly injured.

Fear of going upsidedown( see my post above).

Fear of spiders(been bitten by a big spider once and it bloody hurt).

Fear of wasps,bees,hornets( obviously don't want to get stung, and never have so could be allergic to them).

Fear of big moths, beetles,cockroaches and most other bugs, I thing them horrible.

Fear of street gangs (I been beaten up badly once, chased another time against about 20 young adults with weapons).

Fear of the police if I did something wrong(ie: illegal) Used to when me and a friend smoked a spliff in public and was paranoid as fuck of being caught. Although it would probably just be a slap on the wrist/caution for the first time anyway, as I never been arrested for anything. But was wary since weed was made a class B from a class C.

Fear of doctors/nurses if it involves/causes physical pain (apart from a pin/needle prick), physical examinations or lying on my back.

Fear of hygenists/dentists if it involves/causes physical pain.

Fear of tailors dummies/mannequins.

Fear of puppets.

Fear of statues.

Fear of poltergeists (if they exsist...) I'm not religious or such, but heard something if you mess around with a Ouija Board in the wrong way it can cause poltergeist like activity, or is that bullshit?.... hmmmmmm

If it can truly move a glass and spell out words(and is not a magic trick?) when you place several hands, there must be SOMETHING weird going on there which is spiritual.

Nothing wrong with a bit of arachnophobia... Personally, I don't fear spiders, so much as have a deep need to kill them... Nothing wrong with being wary of stinging bugs, too. While I don't have a particular fear of wasps, I give them distance, so they won't get all territorial on me. Unless they're making nests on or in my house. Then, it's chemical warfare time...

Similarly, most anything that one has had a bad experience with can lead to more rationalized phobias. We fear that which's hurt us before, because that's part of being an animal. And, much as some humans deny it, humans are animals.

Police: Don't break the law and you won't have anything to fear from them. Simple as dirt.

Dummies, Mannequins, & Statues: Now, you're being silly. They aren't going anywhere. If you've got the spare cash, buy some cheap ones and a crowbar and go to town on them until you're over that one. Or, go find a statue and sit by it until you realize that it's not going to do anything. Or, just forget the crowbar from the first suggestion and sit around with the ones you now own and use the fact that you own them to help empower yourself. When I was a little kid, I was scared of a wind-up dog plushie. My folks made me spend more and more time with it until I came to like it. Now, I miss the little guy...

Puppets: Depends on the puppeteer, I guess... Not quite as easy to fix as the statue suggestions, since you typically can't beat up the puppeteer and get away with it... Though, I guess, you could buy a puppet and make friends with it...

Poltergeists: No such thing. Also, don't fall for the Ouija Board nonsense. It was invented as a parlor trick by so-called psychics (also a load of hooey), so they could scam people out of more money, and has since become a party game. It's no more real than a Magic 8-Ball. In fact, It's more fake, since there's always someone controlling the outcome...