LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Plastic-Backed Going Away

so quick quick hurry hurry everyone order a bag of plastic backed abri form x plus or molicares every week for a year.. if we all do it that should boost sales!!!!

Actually I like the idea, however I'm guessing you were being facetious. Medical supply stores should carry all types, walmart is gonna carry whomever is the cheapest to acrry, thus depends and their crap.

Dude. If plastic backed ever gets dumped, I'm going to be very very upset. Cloth backed feel okay to me wearing wise, but I have 2 issues with them:

1. They don't "feel" like a diaper.

2. They LEAK. Every single cloth backed diaper I've ever worn, no matter how outstanding the absorbency's supposed to be, no matter how good the fit...They LEAK. The pee seems to seep through the "cloth like backing".

~ moogle

RELAX PEOPLE !

Market demand in a declining industry allows for smaller scale niche specialization startups. There are many examples of this; vacuum tubes, typewriter repair and vinyl records have all recently flurished again due to hipsters and their demand for analog products. Once a product lifecyle goes into decline, the market allows for smaller scalable companies to take advantage and sell lower-run products .

While current economies of scale don't allow small time businesses to price compete with giants like Abena or Harttman, if poly backed diapers go away, you better believe people will be starting diaper busineses to serve this community (maybe even me ? ) .

Of course they're going to cost more, but if the demand is there , people will pay (plus for many of the non-incontinent , this is just fetish gear for fun not function).

Short story long = not going away.

you will also find that the "Cloth like" diaper cloth is actually spun plastic fibers most likley polypropelene not any natural cloth....like the "green" grocery store reusab;e bags... now remember plastic can be made from many oils, corn,soy,petroleum so either way diapers going to clothlike backing is really because they believe (and prob most people) actually like it... personal i really do perfer the old plastic backed crinkly diapers....

Guest NaughtyAshes

Now that it exists and has been pretty stable I believe the niche/fetish market producers will be around for a long time. Long live Bambinos and ABUs!

I believe that in a world with with online stores nearly everywhere with discrete shipping, there will be a way for a company to make a cheep plastic backed disposable diaper. Ok think about this for a sec. Most people who wear diapers out of choice and need don't want to be seen in line buying diapers because any way its embarrassing. I believe people will be buying their diapers online. this will allow for companies who want to have a market in the U.S. would just build a factor in the U.S. simply to create a faster and cheaper way to ship the growing demand for shipping diapers. So I believe that soon there will be companies like attends and others that will sell cheap plastic backed diapers. Look if you have a core group of customers that want plastic backed diapers and if you own a company that can make and ship cheaply you could easily kill abu and bambinos because of supply and demand, especially now with such a huge demand since there is such a short supply in stores and high demand by those who may want it. I personally fee cloth like also smell more than plastic backed.

When the major brand toddler disp diapers switched to cloth backing I, like so many others, ran out and bought bags of the old style diapers. I have bags of them from the early '90's and I'm so glad I do. I hate cloth backed diapers, just HATE them. They itch my skin and don't feel like a diaper. They smell bad and feel worse so if all adult diapers swap to cloth then I am going to have to take a second mortgage out on the house to buy all of them up.

When the major brand toddler disp diapers switched to cloth backing I, like so many others, ran out and bought bags of the old style diapers. I have bags of them from the early '90's and I'm so glad I do. I hate cloth backed diapers, just HATE them. They itch my skin and don't feel like a diaper. They smell bad and feel worse so if all adult diapers swap to cloth then I am going to have to take a second mortgage out on the house to buy all of them up.

hah and shortly after the companies will see a massive increase in sales, not be able toexplain it but realize there is a demand for the plastic backed and start mass producing them again, hahahah just after you take out that second mortgage

Once again for the cheap seats!

So-called "cloth-like", "cloth-backed" or "breathable" disposable diapers are still made with a plastic backing. The part that goes from the front through the middle to the back (i.e., the part that gets wet and needs to be waterproorf) is a polypropylene (plastic) sheet to which what is basically a paper towel is glued over the outside and all the stuffings glued on the inside (so you never see any plastic because it's all sandwiched in there). The wings of the diaper, however, are a spun fiber mesh that is water-resistant (not waterproof), and it is these wings that make the diaper "breathable" (though the science on actual breathability is still inconclusive). By making "cloth-like" diapers, manufacturers can reduce the amount of plastic used in the manufacture of the diaper, as well as being able to brag about such nebulous claims as "breathability", "comfort", and "appearance".

My biggest problem with them is that the wings honestly do seem to breathe, which isn't necessarily a good thing since air going in and out means odor going in and out. I've never smelled myself when wet while wearing a plastic-backed diaper, but have never NOT smelled myself when wet while wearing a cloth-backed.

But ranting on here isn't going to mean anything. If you like plastic-backed, then talk to the manufacturers. Tell them you're unhappy with the trend toward cloth-backed since they are actually less discrete due to odor than plastic-backed, which is something noone with incontinence wants! Thank them for staying plastic-backed and remind them that you'll remain a loyal customer for as long as they maintain a plastic-backed product!

--Floaty

• 5 years later...

It's not necessarily a bad thing that adult diapers are going cloth backed, but I prefer plastic back if I had a choice. The bad thing for me is that, they seem to be looking less and less like actual diapers. No sag, no leg gathers sticking out and puffy waist bands plus blah coloring. They are looking more and more like plain adult underpants, every day. Even the American, clothbacked Tena super look like underwear when on. They look babyish out of the package, but very "adult like" when on.

I've always enjoyed Attends Waistband as well as Abena Abri-Form. To my knowledge, both of those companies still make plastic backed diapers, right? The only reason I ask if because it seems that (now) those companies make BOTH cloth and plastic backed, or perhaps they are even moving towards phasing out the plastic backed diapers altogether?

16 minutes ago, NewGuy20 said:

I've always enjoyed Attends Waistband as well as Abena Abri-Form. To my knowledge, both of those companies still make plastic backed diapers, right? The only reason I ask if because it seems that (now) those companies make BOTH cloth and plastic backed, or perhaps they are even moving towards phasing out the plastic backed diapers altogether?

I can still get the Attends Three tabs in plastic. They got thin, but I still like they way they look and feel. I use them with an insert. It seems Attends has a several different styles they make in both plastic and cloth back. I recently got some Attends 'DermaDry' briefs that are cloth backed...very soft.

if you look at the history of throw-aways, stability was never part of that history. Look at Pampers. As components become more expensive to use, they get abandoned. The life-cycle of a particular type of diaper is probably about 5 years since the middle 1970's. These things are complex to make, especially since they began trying to be both diaper and rubber panties all in one. Count the components: Fluff, SAP, glue, backing tape, landing zone, scent and odor control substances and elastics waist and legs, then evaluate that in the context of these being one-use items that will linger in a used condition for much longer than in a pristine, unused condition . As components become more expensive, corners get cut so that price does not go through the roof