LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Do Diapers Have A Best Before Date?

Guest diaperguy68

Guest diaperguy68

i bought a ton of diapers and want to take them out of their bags. is there any benefit to leaving them in the bags, maybe to stay fresh?

i bought a ton of diapers and want to take them out of their bags. is there any benefit to leaving them in the bags, maybe to stay fresh?

Generally no, although if they are like sitting around for years and you live in a humid climate... they might absorb some of the moisture over time (and i mean over a long long time) and might become hard...... and thats rare...

Overall... the answer is... no, you should be just fine taking them out of their bags if you want to.

Unknown to most, back in 1825 the US FDA ruled that all disposable adult diapers must have their expiration date written on them in Sanskrit with lettering not to exceed .00014mm in height :rolleyes: Along with the date code this warning must also be printed:

"Warning- wetting expired diapers can cause the diaper to expand rapidly and grow to such proportions that your clothes may burst, leaving your diaper exposed. To avoid exploding please use before the expiration date If you continue to wet an over-expanded diaper it may cause serious side effects such as redness of the face, waddling while walking, intense stares from bystanders, and loud crinkling noises. If you are unsure whether your diapers are safe to wear, ship them free to anyone who wants them, as scientific studies indicate that shipping them post-paid usually renders them safe to wear, but only by the new owner" :P

OK, let me know when I should expect a few dozen here :whistling:;):lol:

Bettypooh

i read somewhere that taking diapers out of the bag lets them breathe or something and gets puffier.

can anybody confirm or deny this D:?

Taking out of the bag removes them from the tight-compressed space.

Naturally, they'll puff out more as they decompress.

One thing that CAN change on disposables is the stickiness of the tapes.. I have some opened bags of about 5 different brands, that are 5 or 6 years old. On some of them, the tapes have lost some "Sticky Factor"... meaning that the tapes pop loose real easy. On some of the other brands, the tapes actually stick BETTER now, than when they were new! Go figure!

Yes, diapers have a 'best use before date', but since this date is so far in the future, one need no worry about it. The plastic on the diaper has a plastizer within the plastic that keeps it soft and supple. This will evaporate over time (30+ years ). Since we live also within a moist atmosphere, the moisture will be absorbed by the SAP within the diaper. This is shown by a slight tinge in the colour of the diaper, and also in the rigidness of the diaper. Since the diaper, to act like this, has to be in a warm humid environment for circa 30+ years and also compressed within its original packaging, the diaper fluff will no longer expand (bounce back) after the diaper is opened. Thus, the diaper absorbency will be severely reduced. The calculated figure is approx 2% of available absorbency is lost per year.

Currently, to the best of my knowledge, there is no legal requirement in any country worldwide to display the 'use before date' on a package of diapers. However, each manufacture print a Lot number on each diaper and can use this to caculate the manufacture date.

A primary reason disposable diaper manufacturers have welcomed the switch to cloth-like coverings with Hook & Loop (HL) fastening is that the storage life is vastly greater than with classic poly plastic disposable using sticky tapes.

Although when correctly stored, in theory, poly-plastic will remain supple for many years, the problem is the adhesives of the stick tapes dry out. They stop holding.

Also, the longer the diaper remains compressed in the package, the greater the chance the delicate poly layer will develop pin-holes. This is a major problem when shipping classic diapers.

Fortunately for the manufacturers, incontinent people and institutions preferring classic poly-plastic diapers tend to use them quickly, so there is a rotation of inventory. Back in the era when cloth-like was first introduced for baby disposables, there were articles mentioning 24 months as the best shelf-life of classic disposables. By the way, that was before experience showed the shelf-life benefits of cloth-like. Hook and Loop does not dry out. The double layer cloth-like is more robust and does not fail under compression.

Over time elastic will dry out and lose its stretchy feature. I have no idea how long that takes, but I suspect that would only be an issue if one used an old vintage diaper. I know I have some older plastic pants where the rubber in the elastic dried out and the waist or leg is no longer stretchy.

wribbit