LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Mental Illness

Kari

Mental Illness  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Deal With A Mental Illness?

It depends on who you ask!

As a child I suffered from what they call now ADHD. I still have it but I don't call it an illness.

The way my ADD was dealt with, in the early 1960's was simple. I was one of the first Ritalin kids. I took the meds but when things didn't work out, I got an ass whupin!

• 2 months later...

So, from this we can assume that about 50% of the AB/DL community is suffering from a mental illness of some sort. Well, that certainly explains a lot... it also kinda scares me.

No, it just means you're closed-minded, bigoted, narrow and short. Have A Nice Day.

• Like 3

Both my wife and I have some degree of mental illness. I have been diagnosised with depression and dysthymic disorder for the last 22 years. My wife has bipolar disorder and in my family it is not out of the ordinary. But when you look at our genitics and background, it not surprising.

So are we AB/DL's due to a mental issue,

Or is it just a coincidence that I've met so many fellow BP's here?

Just saying....

I agree with Sarah's point. Meds are needed for some cases but not for all of them. It also really depends on the doctor you have and if they are Rx happy. That's were YOU have to recognize that YOU aren't getting the proper treatment with just pills. Your health professional is there to guide you with the right decisions. But it's also your responsibility to know what you are taking. They aren't your parent and will not baby you through your treatment. You are the grown adult and have a voice; ask questions about what they are prescribing you before you have it filled. If you aren't comfortable with that treatment; let them know or find another doctor.

In regards to ADHD, I believe a few people's comments show very little as to what they know on this topic. Yes, there are many cases where there are misdiagnosed. Which, again references back to doctors who are Rx happy, patients who don't take responsability, plus the fact that ADHD is very hard to diagnose. But now, scientists and doctors have learned even more about what causes it, how to diagnose it without misdiagnosing it, and many different methods to treating it. (Personally, this goes for any kind of diagnosis in the mental health industry) ADHD is a chemical imbalance in your front lobe portion of the brain which causes your brain to function to that of an unrully classroom as apposed to a disciplined classroom. Some people can have it treated with beavioral therapy and some actually cannot function as well without the assistance of medicines that help balance the communication of thoughts in the brain.

We can't be ignorant with our own health. Sure as a kid our parents took care of us and made those decisions, but we are responsible for ourselfs. The age where you can trust your doctor may be gone with our pharmacutical companies pushing drugs in doctors faces but there are doctors out there who aren't Rx happy. My thought is, if the doctor says you have it, learn about it so you can understand it too. This also greatly establishes a better treatment plan for whatever you are diagnosed with.

I suffer from bi-polar disorder and severe ADD. I was also diagnosed with aspergers as a child, but my psychiatrist thinks that was a bad diagnosis. Without my meds, I am barely functional. When manic, I was off the walls doing crazy and sometimes illegal activities, and spending thousands of $'s I did not have. When depressed, I engaged in cutting and self harm, up to the point of attempting to kill myself. I recently found myself binge eating, though my attempts to throw up failed. Weak gag reflex I guess.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have aspergers syndrome, dyspraxia, moderate anxiety, occasional extreme panic attacks.

Medical conditions:

simple partial epilepsy sometimes with Myoclonic jerks,migraine headaches,asthma, hayfever, IBS (controlled now as I eat a high fibre diet), fairly painful varicose veins in certain areas on a certain area on my body (groin) and very occassionally left testicle that goes semi-torsion which is extremely painful then until it un-twists.

male pattern baldness, slight tinnitus,one long sighted eye and one short sighted eye(need glasses really).

sensitive skin also, as soap itches me like crazy, so can only use shower gel.

• 3 weeks later...

Actually I had a long history of depression and in recent years have had some signs of anxiety. I think both were there in the past but the balance shifted. In all honesty in my youth I was a wreck, but am much better now, yet still can get down on myself. It was also noted to me that my symptoms may be better explained by PTSD... but personally I don't agree.

• 1 month later...

I ticked yes,

I was told 7 yrs ago i had PTSD, then a exmiltary charity said they wouldnt help me any further after the weeks evaluation, wouldnt tell me what it was, but did say i had problems. the care officer who visited me told me what i discribed as flashbacks, cant be because if someone got the amount i say i get they wouldnt be able to function.

i was also told by a horrid Gp that i couldnt have PTSD because that only happens from a single trauma, while i have about 12 that affect me every day. he left me sitting in my car bawling my eyes out...

I have now been put on a CBT set of sessions by a much kinder, better informed gp and i am 3 sessions in. I have been keeping a bit of a blogg on here but not sure if anyone reads it. it would seem at the least I have anxiety issues...

Can't remember if I posted in here, and I'm lazy. :P

I have "clinical depression" and social anxiety, was misdiagnosed as schizophrenic when I was a teen (idiotic doctors combined with an evil mother) and was given medications for it (on top of being too young for such meds they were also experimental). So no telling what problems I really have, the docs just picked the best category this time and told me if I don't want to take meds then it's all good.

But to me the AB is more for dealing with the incontinence. ;)

Can't remember if I posted in here, and I'm lazy. :P

is lazy one of the diagnoses? i do believe i suffer from that as well!!!! is there a medication we can take? i've tried caffeine, it does not cure a really bad case of the lazy.....

<table width="330" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" border="0"><tr><td width="180"><font face="arial" size="-1"><b>Disorder</b></font></td><td width="120"><font face="arial" size="-1"><b>Rating</b></font></td></tr><tr><td><font face="arial" size="-1"><a href="http://www.4degreez.com/disorder/paranoid.html">Paranoid Disorder</a>:</font></td><td><font color="#990099" face="arial" size="-1">Moderate</font></td></tr><tr><td><font face="arial" size="-1"><a href="http://www.4degreez.com/disorder/schizoid.html">Schizoid Disorder</a>:</font></td><td><font color="#990099" face="arial" size="-1">Moderate</font></td></tr><tr><td><font face="arial" size="-1"><a href="http://www.4degreez.com/disorder/schizotypal.html">Schizotypal Disorder</a>:</font></td><td><font color="#cc0033" face="arial" size="-1">High</font></td></tr><tr><td><font face="arial" size="-1"><a href="http://www.4degreez.com/disorder/antisocial.html">Antisocial Disorder</a>:</font></td><td><font color="#cc0033" face="arial" size="-1">High</font></td></tr><tr><td><font face="arial" size="-1"><a href="http://www.4degreez.com/disorder/borderline.html">Borderline Disorder</a>:</font></td><td><font color="#ff0000" face="arial" size="-1">Very High</font></td></tr><tr><td><font face="arial" size="-1"><a href="http://www.4degreez.com/disorder/histrionic.html">Histrionic Disorder</a>:</font></td><td><font color="#000099" face="arial" size="-1">Low</font></td></tr><tr><td><font face="arial" size="-1"><a href="http://www.4degreez.com/disorder/narcissistic.html">Narcissistic Disorder</a>:</font></td><td><font color="#990099" face="arial" size="-1">Moderate</font></td></tr><tr><td><font face="arial" size="-1"><a href="http://www.4degreez.com/disorder/avoidant.html">Avoidant Disorder</a>:</font></td><td><font color="#cc0033" face="arial" size="-1">High</font></td></tr><tr><td><font face="arial" size="-1"><a href="http://www.4degreez.com/disorder/dependent.html">Dependent Disorder</a>:</font></td><td><font color="#ff0000" face="arial" size="-1">Very High</font></td></tr><tr><td><font face="arial" size="-1"><a href="http://www.4degreez.com/disorder/ocd.html">Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder</a>:</font></td><td><font color="#ff0000" face="arial" size="-1">High</font></td></tr><tr><td colspan="2" align="center"><font color="#000000" face="arial" size="-1"><br>-- <a href="http://www.4degreez.com/misc/personality_disorder_test.mv">Personality Disorder Test - Take It!</a> --<br>-- <a href="http://www.4degreez.com/disorder/index.html">Personality Disorders</a> --</font></td></tr></table><br>

My results... Scary.

Disorder Rating

Paranoid: High

Schizoid: Moderate

Schizotypal: High

Antisocial: Low

Borderline: Moderate

Histrionic: Moderate

Narcissistic: Low

Avoidant: High

Dependent: Low

Obsessive-Compulsive: Moderate

:smiley-baby-boy:

• 1 month later...

I suffer from Bipolar Affective Disorder Type 1 and have been "ill" for the past 2 years but it has been going on since I was 13 years old. I was diagnosised late last year and have struggled to cope with the diagnosis.... refusing meds, starting meds and stopping them again, not recognising when I am in danger. I receive Community help and have been told to cool it or be sectioned :( yikes!!! Gotta get better and be better too!!

• 2 months later...

I've read so many posts and seen polls here which seem to indicate that many here have some serious mental health issues. Several have mentioned severe abuse as children. I've always thought I had a perfectly normal childhood. Several years ago while I was moving from one career to another and in between jobs, I ended up taking some antidepressants to help me through that period.

Now, for over a year I've been seeing a psychiatrist who has helped me see my life in a different way. I used to wonder why I had the urges I've had seen puberty, since my childhood was so good. I still see my childhood as light-years better than a lot if not most on this site, but I also understand they I missed something (comfort; a feeling of closeness and/or touch) at a very early age and in trying to get it, I became submissive and repressed all my needs. My shrink says I've had mild depression all my life. There's no need to know for sure, but I'm curious whether I was depressed and so became submissive or whether being submissive and suppressing feelings and emotions led to the depression.

My theory then is that at least a large number of us, maybe including some who don't recognize it or won't admit it, have some sort of mental 'thing' going on that brought them to an interest in diapers. Whether that 'thing' can truly be classified to the extent of mental illness or not is another matter, but I think many of us fall onto a continuum somewhere between really mentally ill and just left of mentally healthy. I don't mean to suggest that none of us are completely healthy - that is far too presumptuous and I doubt accurate.

Paranoid: Moderate more info | forum Schizoid: Low more info | forum Schizotypal: Moderate more info | forum Antisocial: High more info | forum Borderline: Moderate more info | forum Histrionic: High more info | forum Narcissistic: High more info | forum Avoidant: Moderate more info | forum Dependent: Moderate more info | forum Obsessive-Compulsive: High

• 2 weeks later...