LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

All Members Of The Grammar Police Squad:

"Well, she has been sick but she is all better now."

Is that correct?

Or

"Well, she's been sick but she's all better now?"

They're both the same. She's=she is."

I think he was going for the fact that his friend thought he said "grandma" instead of "grammar".

Both are Southern- one is from the south UK and the second from the southern Appalachian mountains in the US ;) Notice the word "gom"? It wasn't a typo- that's an actual word commonly used in the parts just northwest of where I live B) eg: "He gommed thaings up but good" (meaning "He messed things up completely"). They also use the only word I know of with no vowels- "Yn's"- which is a contraction of the slang "you uns" (you ones) :D It's pronounced as spelled- yn's- and is used like: "Is yn's a-goin tutha squar daince yonder?" ( the letter "a" is often pronounced here as "ai", and square is pronounced "skwar").

Dialects here instantly tell locals if you are from around here or not. If you aren't, then we don't talk about kudzu, johnnycakes, or grits with you because we know you wouldn't understand :P Now if there was only an emoticon here with a battered straw hat and beard (with a moonshine still hidden in back) :lol:

Folks raised around here would drive a grammar cop to insanity or suicide :o

Bettypooh

Spelling does indeed also depend on one's dialect, but usually those with excessively thick dialects tend not to have a computer, or know what to do with it if they have one. Heck, some folk deep in the sticks or hills don't even have electric...

And, ironically, those of us who use them seem to be the only ones who know the real difference between "y'all" (y-all, "you all"), "ya'll" (yuhl, "you will"), and "yall" (yahl, "yowl")...

Also, city folk seem to have confused "whoop" (to make a noise, such as coughing loudly ["whooping cough"], or cheering in a social setting [usually urban folk]) with "whup" (dialect for "whip", more commonly associated with "trash" or "beat to a pulp" [or "put a whuppin' on"]). "Whoop Ass" is a mecial affliction that deals with lots of severe loud farting, usually as a result of too much mexican food. "Whup Ass" is the mythological liquid or gelled essence of pain and destructiveness that typically results from a pissed-off redneck with a crowbar, put into a can or a 55 gallon drum. Opening a can of whup ass on someone implies total domination in a fight, usually just short of requiring a trip to the hospital. "Grade-A Whup Ass" is the distilled essence of a beating at the hands and feet of Chuck Norris, which generally implies the intent to hospitalize or outright kill the opponent. "Grade-A Whoop Ass" is considered a biological weapon and involves visible fumes.

Bugger all, the bloke sussed me! :rolleyes: Wot'll 'e think of me English now? :whistling:

This is meant to be from the south UK? Reads like an american bastardising the accent *stares at Dick Van Dyke*

and it should be bugger it all if you're using it like that. Bugger all is more of a reply to a question asking what you/them/it is doing.

"What you up to mate?"

"bugger all"

Yep, I have to know if that actually happened or not. :P

No,not really. It was meant as a spoof. I am waiting for the day when someone does confuse "Grammar" with "Grandma". I'm sure it has happend to someone before!

No,not really. It was meant as a spoof. I am waiting for the day when someone does confuse "Grammar" with "Grandma". I'm sure it has happend to someone before!

Thank you for restoring some measure of my faith in human intelligence! (Not that I had much to begin with...) :P

In all honesty, outside of this thread, I really haven't seen much of either baby talk OR comments about other people's spelling and grammar. I don't recall making any such comments outside of this thread, either. Truth be told, I simply don't respond to gibberish, intended or otherwise: I just skip it. Your response above was reasonably understandable and presented little bother for me. However, as you have asked me to do so, please allow me to present your reply with corrections (including a couple for stylistic and logical consistency) in bold:

The thing that pisses me off more than anything is that I have not seen any of you Grammar Police say things to those that do all this baby talk in their posts. Here, I make a few mistakes in my post and all Holy Hell breaks loose. If you look back, you will find that I have not been doing posts for very long. I am trying my hardest to be a part of these forums, as you can see from the amount of posts and replies I have done in such a short time. IF I had known there was a spell check here, I would have used it. So if you Grammar Police want to blast people, do it to the ones who do all their posts in baby talk. By the way, I just tried to use the spell check and it did not work. Now answer this one: in the reply I just wrote, did I do anything wrong?

So tell me, my fellow Grammar Police, did I miss anything?

Ok so i gueess i made a bunch if misstakes.But like i said befor i have never seen people get jumped on as much as all did to me.That is what i dont understand,why.Dont think there where to many that did not understand the post that started it all.As long as people can understand what im trying to say what differance dose it make if i spell some words wrong.

Ok so i gueess i made a bunch if misstakes.But like i said befor i have never seen people get jumped on as much as all did to me.That is what i dont understand,why.Dont think there where to many that did not understand the post that started it all.As long as people can understand what im trying to say what differance dose it make if i spell some words wrong.

I really don't think most people really mind so much as long as they don't have to WORK at deciphering what you say. However, do keep in mind that assumptions will be made based on the quality of your writing.

When people spell wrong and have grammatical errors, I just assume they have some sort of learning disability. But a few misspelled words, I take that as a typo. Same as if they have a missing word. I am picky about my own spelling so I use spell check. I can spell very well but typing, my fingers get ahead of my thoughts so I mistype. It's just easier to use spell check than reading my post over and over just to see if everything is spelled correctly. I call that laziness I do.

I make an effort to use proper spelling and grammar so that I am better understood. I expect that of others, and if they have to try harder, then they should. I'm interested in what you are saying, not wot u sade. Call me old-fashioned.

I really don't think most people really mind so much as long as they don't have to WORK at deciphering what you say. However, do keep in mind that assumptions will be made based on the quality of your writing.

I dont think many had a problum understanding what i was saying,its just that the Grammer Police started jumping all over me cause i made a few mistakes in my spelling and grammer

When people spell wrong and have grammatical errors, I just assume they have some sort of learning disability. But a few misspelled words, I take that as a typo. Same as if they have a missing word. I am picky about my own spelling so I use spell check. I can spell very well but typing, my fingers get ahead of my thoughts so I mistype. It's just easier to use spell check than reading my post over and over just to see if everything is spelled correctly. I call that laziness I do.

Well just because a person makes grammatical errors and spells words wrong dose not mean thay have a learning disability.

Here's a thought! Give examples of the mistakes you see and encourage others to try hard to communicate effectively. Since you've made me an honorary member of this squad I felt the necessity to inject a little pep talk about procedure. The trouble with being part of the grammar police is I always come off arrogant and pompous. >Shakes head!<

It is not a matter of pompous or arrogant.

I have some sweatpants. They are very comfortable. I don't wear them outside of my home. It is a matter of presentation.

I know some of our members have motor or cognitive issues but that does not excuse the others who don't know the difference between "too" and "to" and "there" and "their". I could go on.

Nuff said.

Anondl

• Like 1

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--- "The older I get the more I admire and crave competence, just simple competence, in any field from adultery to zoology." ---

--- Henry Louis Mencken ---

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, that would include spelling and grammar.

I think she knows that. The key word in her post was 'assume'.

Yes, thank you. I do not judge people for their poor spelling and grammar because they could have a learning disability. I wish more people would consider that than being ignorant.