LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Mercury Poisoning

I had sushi for lunch -- lots of it. I consumed a lot of fish, but as soon as I tried walking out of the restaurant and back to my car, I started feeling wobbly and I couldn't even see straight. I made a u-turn from the car and got to a nearby restroom. When I opened the restroom door, I completely messed in my diaper. I never had that happen to me before. I always anticipated things like that, but it happened all of a sudden.

I experienced all the symptoms of mercury poisoning according to WebMD... but it's a bit scary. Has anyone experienced accidents while suffering from mercury poisoning?

Given the bioavailability of mercury through oral ingestion and the brevity of such an acute episode, I find it HIGHLY suspect that you experienced mercury poisoning. It's much more likely that you were served bad fish or experienced a food allergy. Mercury poisoning has long-lasting residual effects and does not manifest through episodic and isolated symptoms such as the one that you mentioned.(as nausea, dizziness, and visual distortion are more or less attached at the hip neurologically speaking, e.g. motion sickness)

You can bite the end off a thermometer and be fine.

IDK one way or another abut the OP situation but the term "mad hatter" came from touching mercury to treat the felt in their hats. Mercury has serious side affects and is a big deal when some is spilled in a chem lab.

IDK one way or another abut the OP situation but the term "mad hatter" came from touching mercury to treat the felt in their hats.

Actually, the true origin of "mad as a hatter" is still an open debate. The process of using mercury to treat felt to make hats started in the mid-18th century; however, the phrase itself predates this as far back as the the 12th century. "Hatter" is generally accepted as being a mistranslation of the Anglo-Saxon word for "Adder." So it would be more along the lines of "mad as a snake." Hey look, I remembered a useless fact from my Early World History course.

The Mad Hatter in Alice in Wonderland is insane, but he doesn't have any symptoms of mercury poisoning.

Anyway, back on topic, I'd vote for food poisoning. The isolated incidents in which my wife had a messy accident were due to food poisoning. Same thing can happen to people allergic to shellfish.

Dimethyl mercury, which is found in elevated levels in some fish (particularly fish high on the food chain), is extremely toxic. My understanding though, is that the symptoms take a long time (months) to manifest, and you have to eat a lot of fish. Eating a lot of sushi for lunch on one day isn't going to make you acutely symptomatic. Sounds like food poisoning, which sucks, but probably won't kill you.

Hope you are feeling better!

I'm gonna say it's not even food poisoning: that takes a few hours to manifest, too. It doesn't seem like an allergic reaction, either. I'd check in with a doctor, though.

Sage advice! See a doctor!

I've scheduled an appointment with the doctor, but currently, I'm feeling better. I'm stubborn. I won't let this particular problem keep me down.

It's true. I eat a lot of sushi. I go about once every two weeks, but every time I do, I pig out, but today was unique. Previously, when I've gone to this sushi restaurant, I would often leave there feeling "punch drunk": a little wobbly, a little nauseous. I would shake it off, though, and go about the rest of my day.

I not only looked mercury poisoning up on WebMD; I cross-referenced with other sites. My symptoms went by the book, especially motion sickness -- and I still have trouble focusing as I'm writing this message.

As far as food allergies go, I've eaten raw fish and shellfish for many years and had no problems. This restaurant serves great food and it's a very popular place. I don't see people stumbling out of the restaurant like I do after my meal. Could it be a developing food allergy? Gosh, I sure hope not.

EDIT: Just for the record, I am diagnosed with IBS. That could have played a factor.

• 2 weeks later...

You may be reacting to the food or what it is prepared in or with. Alergies can change with age, What we were not allergic to or react to when we were younger may give us a bad response later. This can be with food, medicine, additives in products and not to forget my favorite is the outdoor allergins.

PS all things in moderation may help in the future, Tooo much of anything could be bad for ya. So if you eat far toooo much its gotta go somewhere :roflmao: Or it was just bad food :crybaby:

So I went to the doctor.

I had some bad fish -- and lots of it. That's what it came down to. The sushi I had that day was probably not the best quality sushi around, but I've gone to that restaurant two times since the episode and I was fine. I cut down my fish intake so I'm having fun eating my chicken terryaki and gyoza dumplings. Life is good.

I had some bad fish -- and lots of it. That's what it came down to. The sushi I had that day was probably not the best quality sushi around, but I've gone to that restaurant two times since the episode and I was fine.

A restaurant gave you food poisoning and you went back twice more? :huh:

lord the last time i got sick eating at my fav dinner, i told them waht i ate and i think it got sick from it. they have treated me better. I go there every saturday and never got sick once after the first time. it could be a one time thing.

also that much raw fish, i would think you would get sick. Oww how could a person eat something raw. thats asking for trouble.