• Dragon Quest (which one)
    • Star Ocean (which one)
    • Zelda (which one)
    • other (please describe)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Final Fantasy 7 proved what every RPG game could be and should be from the moment it came out. I still go back and play it from time to time because it just sucks you in every time.

I'm not sure if the Metroid Prime (or Zelda) games count as RPGs, but they have the main elements of collecting upgrades and energy increases...

I'm hooked on playing both MP1 and MP2 right now on our Wii (and recently beat Zelda Twilight Princess for the Wii).

My favorite RPG series is Final fantasy, but as much of a masterpiece as FF7 is, I wouldn't say that it's "what all RPGs should be". Final Fantasy's a wonderful game series, but it's not that great at being RPGs, especially not in recent games. A good "RPG" would be like Baldur's Gate or maybe Dragon Quest.

I like Dragon Quest V a lot. I almost want to vote Legend of Dragoon out of pity...

I'm not sure if the Metroid Prime (or Zelda) games count as RPGs, but they have the main elements of collecting upgrades and energy increases...

Not so sure about Metroid Prime but Zelda definitely is. Replace 'heart' with HP and 'heart container with 'level up' and it's obvious :) Hell, you gallop across a wide open field on a horse, shooting arrows at bad guys - how RPG-ish is that :P

Metroid Prime lacks the strong story development required to be considered an RPG, I think... Zelda has that in spades, of course.

I like a bunch of different RPG's for alot of different reasons.

-Chrono Trigger for the replayability, story, difficulty, battle system, magic system, pretty much everything. I think this was one of Square's best games ever. Combined alot of what they had learned in FF 4-6 and had a good story with alot of player led story. First game where players could do ALMOST whatever they wanted.

-Final Fantasy 6, 9, 12. My favorite FF was number 6, good story and the espers system made alot of sense to me. I generally like the stories in the FF games, although theres times where the backstories arn't really thought out too well. Internal consistency problems, especially with 7. And the final dungeon.....why isn't there a save point SOMEWHERE in that friggin place?? Its not that hard, compared to other finals, but not being able to save sucks balls. Especially when the final boss is as killer as he is. As much as alot of people malign 12, I really like the ability to build your characters however you desire to. Alot of elements of MMO's built into them too, i didn't notice the necessary level grinding as much with that game as I did with others.

-XenoSaga. Awesome series. Number 2 was a little cumbersome, but still fun. I love the stories in that game.

-Diablo II. Good story, and a true challenge especially above the base difficulty level. Classes are differentiated enough that you get a truly unique experience each time you play through. Different tactics on bosses, different skill sets needed, etc.

-World of Warcraft. Ever evolving game, good storylines, unique classes, good content updates, fun dungeons, overall good game IMHO.

<Raises Hand shyly>.

Been playing since AD&D. Dice bag made the trip to Korea with me. I doubt I'm going to transition over to 4th Edition....WotC is trying to turn the game into a miniatures game. I have wasted MANY afternoons around a table with friends around me and sheets of paper in front of me. There is nothing like a good D&D game.

Guest Baby Tiana

Isn't Sims 3 a RPG?? If so I like that game so far. Its interesting and nice to have control of someone's life. I can do anything to them. However haven't gotten to play all that much. My family always takes the lap top from me when I am using it....and that game requires you to spend a lot of time on it. :D

Whoa....I'm gonna really blow yer minds.

I like DnD...Yep, old school Dungeons and Dragons. The one you play with paper and dice?

Anyone know what I am talking about? :)

I started playing the ORIGINAL 1st Edition D&D back in the early 1980s, I was only 6 or 7 at the time...

I wish I could find a group to play with again...

Gosh, where is Xenosaga? And Kingdom Hearts? ;_;

I dont know where Kingdom Hearts is but I like it a lot. Xenosaga (As good as it is) is a kinda underground series compared to like Final Fantasy or Tales. Only a select few people know or like Xenosaga. Its almost like the .hack series, Valkyrie Profile series, or Shin Megami Tensei series. All good series (Especial Nocturne) but they're all very undergound and are usually overshadowed by FF or Star Ocean or stuff like that.

• 3 weeks later...

Diablo2 is my favorite, It has great replayability, also network with friends. Too bad they waited 9years to make a sequal. Still cant wait for it. Other favorites include Neverwinter nights2(D&D 3rd edition rules), and Oblivion. And just to let you guys know KOTOR borrowed the game engine from Neverwinter Nights, so they have many similarities.

• 1 month later...

I voted legend of dragoon, one of the most underated games of its time.

I agree. The story is one of my favorites. I just started replaying all my old RPGs a few months ago and this is one of them. The gameplay and environments are blown out of the water by FF9 but the story saves it IMO.

all the FF titles are great games, although FF7 was the major breakthough in the series that got everyones attention (in the EU and NA anyway, the series was already popular in japan) FF7 was sooo addictive! i still play it sometimes!

my GF is currently playing ff7 and she loves it! although in past experiences i do find FF games to be like marmite "you either love it or hate it" shes just entered the north crater, wont be long until i get her playing the next one :)

Guest clinediap

While I do like the Final Fantasy (and Kingdom Hearts) series quite a bit, my favorite RPG series are Xenosaga, Shadow Hearts (especially Covenant), and Digital Devil Saga. I've tried to get into the other Shin Megami Tensei games, since I like DDS so much, but I've just never been able to... Can't get into SRPGs either, even though I keep trying. My next attempt is going to be Valkyria Chronicles... We'll see how that goes.

I voted 'other' for good ole fashioned, table top, dice-and-paper, socialize-with-your-friends, REAL RPGS, like Dungeons and Dragons, Shadowrun, Cyberpunk, Werewolf: The Apocalypse, etc. No console programmer can EVER take the place of good GM. In my opinion, as entertaining as they may be, console game RPGs are really just glorified Choose-Your-Adventure novels and don't involve any real role playing at all.

I voted 'other' for good ole fashioned, table top, dice-and-paper, socialize-with-your-friends, REAL RPGS, like Dungeons and Dragons, Shadowrun, Cyberpunk, Werewolf: The Apocalypse, etc. No console programmer can EVER take the place of good GM. In my opinion, as entertaining as they may be, console game RPGs are really just glorified Choose-Your-Adventure novels and don't involve any real role playing at all.

You got that right!

Alright Brother! What's your game of choice?

Classic D&D/AD&D, Shadowrun, Battletech/Mechwarrior (which was paper & dice before being computerized)... I've also played an RPG based on the old Robotech tv series...

I've been both a player and a DM/GM.

Classic D&D/AD&D, Shadowrun, Battletech/Mechwarrior (which was paper & dice before being computerized)... I've also played an RPG based on the old Robotech tv series...

I've been both a player and a DM/GM.

I played a little of the Battletech. I played a LOT of the Palladium games, including Robotech, but mostly TMNT (mutant animals rock!). Whilst I've played all versions of D&D with the exception of 4.0, I have to admit, I like 3.5 the best. I also played a lot of Shadowrun, White Wolf games, and Cyberpunk. I've played some really obscure ones, too, like Elfquest and Ghostbusters.

I played a little of the Battletech. I played a LOT of the Palladium games, including Robotech, but mostly TMNT (mutant animals rock!). Whilst I've played all versions of D&D with the exception of 4.0, I have to admit, I like 3.5 the best. I also played a lot of Shadowrun, White Wolf games, and Cyberpunk. I've played some really obscure ones, too, like Elfquest and Ghostbusters.

Awesome.

I haven't played a real sit-down paper & dice game in nearly 10 years... Moved around so many times that I never had a chance to find anyone to game with...