• Dragon Quest (which one)
    • Star Ocean (which one)
    • Zelda (which one)
    • other (please describe)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have all the FF games for PS1 (VII, VIII, IX, and Tactics) and have emulator roms for all the earlier ones.

I have emulator roms for all the old Zelda games (NES through N64) and I also have both WindWaker for GC (which I am moments away from beating) and Twilight Princes for Wii (which I recently beat).

I'll play just about ANY RPG type game. I also love to play the old-school paper&dice style Dungeons & Dragons, ShadowRun, and BattleTech games.

Guest Juni's Cute Baby Lucy

Gotta be Zelda... I love them all, but Wind Waker and Twilight Princess are my favs... can't choose between them, they are so different! I guess the Wind Waker calls to my little side a bit more as the animation is 'cute' but the Wii's controls for Twilight Princess are just addictive!

Lucky me has legal copies of all of them, the older ones on a GC disc, i guess i don't like tham as much as i never really played them until i got them for the GC

Can't Wait for the next Game!

Huggles

Lucy

I play Diablo II on my PC, I don't have a working game consol as of yet( trying to find components for my old SNES). When me and the wife split up, she took the GC with her, for the kids and I can't afford a new one yet. I am looking into getting a PS3 in the future though, it not only is a game consol, but it also functions as a Blue ray disc player. That way if I want to watch a movie, I don't have to change machines.

Guest Pizaz

I'm playing through FF4 right now on my DS... I had forgotten how great that game was. But yeah, 7 was revolutionary.

But beyond FF, my favorite RPG of all time is Lunar: The Silver Star, originally for Sega CD, remade for the PS1 as Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete. Classic story, great characters, simple engine...

Ahh, a subject very near and dear to my sweet old heart :wub: Final Fantasy 7. Only FF I really got into, though I have played them all. But going old skool, Dragon Warrior and Earthbound are still the best, no matter how bad the graphics were back in the day. Never got into the Zelda games, my older brother was really into them, though.

• 2 weeks later...

*Sigh* I'm an old school RPG gamer but theres a few not on here that are my favorite. Although I did love FF7, FF1, FF4, and FF10; the second and third Star Oceans as well as the all mighty Orcarina of Time and Majora's Mask, Youre missing the essential Tales series. Tales of Vesperia, Tales of the Abyss, Tales of Legendia, Tales of Destiney, Tales of Phantasia, Tales of Symphonia, and Tales of Eternia were all amazing. And now with the announcement to Tales of VS, I'm gonna be in heaven. Plus theres also the .Hack series. The first four were a little bland and could've been a little better but the GU series(especially Redemption) were simply amazing. I'm actually playing through them again but I'm still on the first (Rebirth). Plus with .hack//Link on its way, I'm gonna be having a use for my PSP again. Another honorable mention for me is Eternal Sonata. Even if it was a little on the repeatative side, I still enjoyed the fight system. The no-name Samurai Legend Musashi was excelent for a good play. I liked that one more than the first one. Radiata Stories was fun for a while too but I could never get every character in my friends list, theres like 166 people or something and I could never get Adele to join. The first Valkyrie Profile was excelent but the second was lacking. Could you count Pokemon as an RPG? Those kept me entertained for hours and are still my main forms of entertainment when I go on trips to anywhere aside from my iPod. I've gone through Red and Blue who knows how many times, Gold and Silver I didnt like as much, Ruby and especially Saphire were my favorite, and Diamond and Pearl were pretty fun too. I'm currently going through Platinum and Emerald but its taking me forever since I never have time at work anymore. The mighty Skies of Acradia was fun and I still have it/play it on my Dreamcast. Could Fire Emblem be considered an RPG? I absolutely love Fire Emblem. Oh man.....this became really long......Oh well. What can I say, I love RPGs.

The Angel of Hope,

Alice

I just felt I should expand. My favourite FF has to be FF7 but tactics is also a close contender, the star ocean I've been playing is The last Hope it's the latest in the series released for the 360. I too really love RPG's they are without a doubt my favourite video games. I also used to play FFXI online for a while but MMO's take waaaay to much of my free time to play them.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still a rabid fan of Chrono Trigger. If a remake were ever to be made, and I mean the game completely redone in modern graphics with added features, I would probably buy it without thinking twice, which is why I was very upset when SquareEnix pulled the plug on Team Resurrection's Chrono Trigger Resurrection. It was the original game redone in full 3D using their own game engine. They had no intention to sell or make any money off of the project, but SE does own the rights to the game, and can do as they wish to lowly fans who want to use their stuff without permission. What upset me even more is 2 years after they vaporized Resurrection, they released a simple port of the original game (PSX version) to DS for full price. I own the original for SNES. I paid $50 for it, and I feel it's money well spent, but I refuse to buy the same game again. I have an R4DS (yarrr), so that's how I played the DS version. I hate how companies consistently try to resell (and often succeed) games that are over 10 years old...some over 20 years old! I'd imagine Super Mario Bros. 1 and 3 for NES are at least in the top 5 best selling Virtual Console games on Wii, and they were released in 1985 and 1989 respectively (remember The Wizard?). I do understand the concept of bringing these classic games to a new generation, but I still have the original games! I don't WANT to buy them again...(though I have bought those two aforementioned Mario games...but no more as I soft-modded my Wii along with about a dozen others...again...yarrr. Or is that more of a hacker thing?)

9 times out of 10, nothing compares to playing a classic game on the original console, but given the choice of buying a port, compilation, or Virtual Console release of classic games or emulating the illegal roms on a homebrew emulator, which would you choose?

Are you a legal beagle that patiently waits for your favorite games to release even if that may never happen, or are you as jaded as me and go the illegal route?

One example of a game that will never be released is GoldenEye for Nintendo 64. It will not be released as an N64 VC game as Microsoft now controls Rare, and it can't be released on Xbox 360's Live Arcade because it was licensed by Nintendo and the original team (which is supportive of Nintendo) aren't even with Rare any longer. Many programmers and designers who worked on the original GoldenEye and Perfect Dark have moved onto other groups and a handful of them have formed the development team Free Radical, who created the TimeSplitters games. Rare still has rights to at least Perfect Dark (which the new one sucked), but the originals for N64 might as well be abandonware (I provide games and other forms of support to a large abandonware site and have a lot of experience on how to find abandonware, but it seems like Microsoft is still fighting it while Nintendo has given up. It's a licensing MESS!!!). The only hope would be if Nintendo had leaked a pack with title and unique emulation core for fans to compile the VC themselves using pirated roms of the games. Nintendo can't legally provide the roms, but if a means is somehow leaked without other companies knowing, then maybe it could be possible. The only other option is emulation, which for Wii owners, Wii64, a Mupen64 port, is currently in development by some very busy schoolboys. It's simply a matter of waiting, or you can play it on your computer right now. Project 64 is the best emulator for Windows.

I'm still a rabid fan of Chrono Trigger. If a remake were ever to be made, and I mean the game completely redone in modern graphics with added features, I would probably buy it without thinking twice, which is why I was very upset when SquareEnix pulled the plug on Team Resurrection's Chrono Trigger Resurrection. It was the original game redone in full 3D using their own game engine. They had no intention to sell or make any money off of the project, but SE does own the rights to the game, and can do as they wish to lowly fans who want to use their stuff without permission. What upset me even more is 2 years after they vaporized Resurrection, they released a simple port of the original game (PSX version) to DS for full price. I own the original for SNES. I paid $50 for it, and I feel it's money well spent, but I refuse to buy the same game again. I have an R4DS (yarrr), so that's how I played the DS version. I hate how companies consistently try to resell (and often succeed) games that are over 10 years old...some over 20 years old! I'd imagine Super Mario Bros. 1 and 3 for NES are at least in the top 5 best selling Virtual Console games on Wii, and they were released in 1985 and 1989 respectively (remember The Wizard?). I do understand the concept of bringing these classic games to a new generation, but I still have the original games! I don't WANT to buy them again...(though I have bought those two aforementioned Mario games...but no more as I soft-modded my Wii along with about a dozen others...again...yarrr. Or is that more of a hacker thing?)

9 times out of 10, nothing compares to playing a classic game on the original console, but given the choice of buying a port, compilation, or Virtual Console release of classic games or emulating the illegal roms on a homebrew emulator, which would you choose?

Are you a legal beagle that patiently waits for your favorite games to release even if that may never happen, or are you as jaded as me and go the illegal route?

One example of a game that will never be released is GoldenEye for Nintendo 64. It will not be released as an N64 VC game as Microsoft now controls Rare, and it can't be released on Xbox 360's Live Arcade because it was licensed by Nintendo and the original team (which is supportive of Nintendo) aren't even with Rare any longer. Many programmers and designers who worked on the original GoldenEye and Perfect Dark have moved onto other groups and a handful of them have formed the development team Free Radical, who created the TimeSplitters games. Rare still has rights to at least Perfect Dark (which the new one sucked), but the originals for N64 might as well be abandonware (I provide games and other forms of support to a large abandonware site and have a lot of experience on how to find abandonware, but it seems like Microsoft is still fighting it while Nintendo has given up. It's a licensing MESS!!!). The only hope would be if Nintendo had leaked a pack with title and unique emulation core for fans to compile the VC themselves using pirated roms of the games. Nintendo can't legally provide the roms, but if a means is somehow leaked without other companies knowing, then maybe it could be possible. The only other option is emulation, which for Wii owners, Wii64, a Mupen64 port, is currently in development by some very busy schoolboys. It's simply a matter of waiting, or you can play it on your computer right now. Project 64 is the best emulator for Windows.

I use emulators on my PC constantly, and would love to "soft mod" our Wii, but don't have the slightest clue how to, and it's already updated itself to the latest version (with the SD memory card icon on the main screen) so I don't even know if it is possible at this point.

I have a 30+ Gig rom collection covering just about every home gaming console.

I use emulators on my PC constantly, and would love to "soft mod" our Wii, but don't have the slightest clue how to, and it's already updated itself to the latest version (with the SD memory card icon on the main screen) so I don't even know if it is possible at this point.

I have a 30+ Gig rom collection covering just about every home gaming console.

I can get you all you need to fully mod your Wii. It works with the latest update and does not require the use of Twilight Princess. In fact, I think it's better than the Twilight Hack as it does more, and is more stable. If it's not in your profile, can you PM me your email address?

Zelda for me every time. Nothing else comes close. I don't want to spend 25 hours of 50 hour game watching cut scenes. It's all very well portraying games as 'epics' but unless you actually get to play for those 50 hours... Well you might as well be watching a DVD, no? Most of the Zelda games manage the balance between keeping the cinematics down whilst keeping immersion and story depth sky high. Ocarina of Time is, of course, the pinnacle of RPG greatness but Majora's Mask and to a lesser extent Twighlight Princess are right up there too. For a more retro experience, you just can't beat A Link to the Past.

I'm trying to get to grips with Fable 2 at the moment but I'm struggling to love it. It's good but it's just too clunky, rule bound and constrained for my liking...

Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link and OoT

Fallout series

Skies of Arcadia

Diablo 1 and 2

Only FF I really got into was Mystic Quest

Chrono Cross. That game was a piece of art. Especially the music- very beautiful.

The one thing about it that bothers me...it wasn't really a sequel to Chrono Trigger. Which I'm fine with- but it's almost as if SquareSoft ran out of production time and suddenly said, "Oh, crap! We forgot to make this storyline correlate to Chrono Trigger in any concievable matter! What to do...I know! Kid was an orphan, Lucca takes her in, and Lavos springs out of nowhere. Somehow Lavos has a backup plan or something like that, and they must kill him! Yea...and uh, forget an ending. Just skip to credits." I was enjoying that game up until that point.

I was much younger when I played it, so I actually did not understand the plot line, and it took me forever to figure out how the Battle System works. When my elements were greyed out, I did not understand why. There was no tutor to teach you how to play- except Solt and Popper, but they didn't teach me enough.

It annoys me that Squaresoft's earlier games- FF6, for example- had a pretty self explanatory battle system, but explained it anyway in case someone didn't get it. Then they bring along another game with a unique system, and they leave you to figure it out on your own.

It's funny...I'm talking about the flaws to my favorite game. :D

But what can I say? Sure, the ending was terrible, but the 90% before that was awesome. Also you can change the ending like in Chrono Trigger, anyway...and yea, the battle system is fairly complicated- but that makes it fun. I hate using "Fight" in any Final Fantasty game- but in Chrono Cross, it gives me certain pleasure to slash people up with Kid's dagger, or with Serge's swallow. :P

So in closing....

Battle system: AWESOME!

Explanations: WAAA!! :crybaby:

Story: ZOMG this is really cool!

Music: Is this a French Resturant?

Overall Rating: 9 / 10.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm with Knuxie, Chrono Trigger all the way. I hadn't heard about the 3D fan remake of it, but now I'll have to look it up. I'll probably end up disappointed too.

I'm definitely of the NES/SNES generation, and I like FF and Zelda games of those systems. I did recently buy an XBox 360, and have been playing Fable 2 a lot.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm noticing a distinct lack of elderscrolls here. I never played the first 2 but Morrowind and Oblivion were awesome.

I also really dig FF7,8,10, tactics and the original.

Fable 1 and 2 were great fun.

Mass Effect was brilliant too.

Zelda games ain't RPGs imo, action adventure.

Lately, I've been playing Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time with friends, and I've finally reached the tower. It's a fun game and has a lot of puzzle-solving and teamwork that I think is what makes the game fun.