LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Will The Earth End On Wednesday?

Many of you may be aware that on Wednesday a huge piece of equipment (18 miles long) will be switched on in Switzerland, it's purpose to smash atoms and recreate the big bang on a smaller scale.

A group of scientist have actually been to court to stop this taking place, on the basis that they believe one of two things could happen.

1) They create a mini black hole, which will then proceed to suck the Earth and Moon into it (rather like the Earth going down a plug hole). The latest suggestion I've read is that this would take around 8 days for the Earth and Moon to cease existing.

2) They rip a hole in the space/time continueum, making our present place in time and space cease. This will mean the Earth will cease to exist in an estimated 1/20 of a second.

The latest from the guys carrying out the experiement is that it won't do any of the above. Although one has now admitted that it may create a mini black hole.......but not big enough to suck in the Earth.

Beth

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Daddy has been following this, it should be quite interesting. I have doubts that the world will end, but I'm a positive thinker. They will probably discover some very interesting things and they may end up killing themselves, especially with the mini-black holes that are expected.

Many people have died in the advance of science, I read an article somewhere that said that gun-powder was invented many times, just the first few inventors died in explosions before they were able to tell others of their findings... Whoops, so thats what happens when I pound these two chemicals together with a hammer...

*huggles*

Michelle

Chances of anything happening on official turn on date is pretty slim.

On a side note i applied for a job there many years ago. They never hired me, so they obviously saw my motive for wo*king there just to meet rich people in the area. as not a good trait for a hard wo*ker

On a side note i applied for a job there many years ago. They never hired me, so they obviously saw my motive for wo*king there just to meet rich people in the area. as not a good trait for a hard wo*ker

Applied for a job where, Switzerland? Don't you know they're are sealed off from the rest of the World?

Beth

I have some nuclear physics background and say " Fear not". Although we've not been accelerating at the energy level of this big of this enormous installation, we have a pretty good idea of the outcome at the higher energy levels. This thing basically uses alternating magnetic fields in a giant circle to accelerate charged particles around and around to speeds near that of light and then smashing them into target materials, measuring the particles and energies that result (like shrapnel). The particles and collisions are on a very small scale, but with impressive energy levels.

This reminds me of the rumored "cobalt atomic bomb" many years ago that was reported to be so powerful, that no one would test it for fear of triggering massive earthquakes.

Anyway, the scientific community is very risk averse.

Personally, I'm looking forward to talk like a pirate day on the 19th!

Silly humans! This is how YOUR universe was created. Some fools in the other universe decided to test a theory! BOOM! Your universe popped into existence! You've had a good run, 13+ billion years. Give someone else a chance.

God the Almighty as typed by the humble prophet Bo Tox

Actually, I think one of two things will happen. Nothing spectacular that we will care about but scientifically interesting. The other doesn't matter because we won't know it happened or be around to care! ;)

Ofcourse the world will not go under, if it would, you could be sure that the Jehova pee ple had visited you within the last 14 days to tell you so.. I haven't seen them at my doorstep for years which indicates that the world is in good health and is intending to stay well for a good time still..

Guest refridginator

I say that this giant cannon will create a Resonance Cascade! It will bring life to this dimension from the space of "Xen."

Ooh i feel so delightfully mad! >:D

Realistically, I doubt that anything major is going to happen, such as the destroying of the entire Earth, or even a significant part of Europe. I think worst case scenario, if something happens (i.e. a small amount of antimatter created, small singularity established) given the size of the particles they work with in the accelerator, is that CERN would be annihilated. But thats it. A single nuclear fission reaction only released enough energy to jump one grain of sand....its the exponential chain reaction that makes the significant amounts of energy to power the bombs or reactors. Even the complete antimatter annhilation of an entire heavy atom wouldn't be enough to do much more than level a few square meters of land.

But we never know. We've been told that we will not know either the day nor the hour that the world will come to its end.

JULIA!!!!!

{{{{{{{{{huggies!!}}}}}

How things on the moon??? if the earth does go *BOOM*, you might have a nice view!!! ;):lol:

qwack

Nah, they said the Moon would be sucked into the black hole too.......so Julia and her fellow Moon pee ple wouldn't be safe either. :P

Imagine the Earth fell into the black hole and we ended up in another dimension where all adults wear diapers, but all of us have a strange fetish for cotton underwear!!

Beth

That's right...they prolly won't even smash a single atom that day.....lots of tuning and aligning, that circle has to be pretty darn near perfect....

but, even if it did, the thing to remember is that this won't be the first time atoms reached this energy level: cosmic rays come in from space like this all the time....the problem being that cosmic ray experiments aren't as repeatable as accelerator experiments.

Anyway, how many MeV in a Joule?

You are a physist, you should know!!!

Well, It's already tomorrow in Switzerland and we're still here. I'm still big. Maybe when I wake up tomorrow things will be different.

If we don't see any more posts from you I'll take it you are now a little girl and can't log in!

By the way, why does a DL want to wake up as a little girl? I think you have been influenced by the dark side of the force.......was it talking to Sophie Vader that did it?

Beth

Until I hear the fat lady sing the world won't end. besides today is wednesday and its already online so no I don't think so. Too many people get worked up over nothing sometimes.

Just wanted to weigh in here:

The accelerator established its first beam of the two. The second (counter revolving) beam has not been reported as established. And more importantly, the beams have not been directed to collide yet. Not sure when that first experiment is expected to begin. That is when the fun begins.....even though we are 100% safe. If we see the sta-puff marshmallow man, I'm wrong.

Packrat.

They have not done it yet, they just tested it here a link.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080910/ap_on_sc/big_bang

If your still woryed about this you can read this one too.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/200809...Qv3vUvYjdlxieAA

I'm not making a bucket list just yet but if you still think the world will end when they first start it, I'll give you 100 to 1 odds that it wont. :D

What a bet i win i'm rich i lose i dead and cant pay! :lol: