LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Asparagus... Yea or Nay?

Asparagus... Yay or Nay?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. If/when you're in diapers, do you avoid asparagus?

• I like asparagus, but I avoid it when I'm wearing a diaper.
    • I like asparagus, come what may.
    • I never liked asparagus anyway.
    • Bonus question: I can smell it in my diaper, when I've eaten asparagus.
    • Bonus question: I can't smell it in my diaper, when I've eaten asparagus.

My wife loves asparagus, and she is the preparer of 80% or more of what we eat, so, when she comes across it or when it's in season, she tends to buy it and prepare it. I like asparagus, when it's cooked right, not too soft but not woody, either. It's great on the grill with some butter and lemon juice. But, there is one thing about it that I don't appreciate... the way that pee smells after you've eaten asparagus.

There is some myology around this, but also some science, and the science, in a nutshell, says that everyone's pee smells to varying degrees after consuming the green stems, because of sulfur compounds that are secreted. Some people secrete more than others, but the big variation in if you detect this or not comes from your sense of smell - some people genetically can't detect the smell. For people that can, even "non-secreters" still have slightly smelly pee. 

Good diaper companies integrate compounds into their stuffing that retard the biological processes of pee breaking down into aromatic ammonia compounds. If you've spent some time in a low-end disposable or a cloth diaper, you know how fast those smells can creep in. A good diaper can still smell reasonably fresh, even 10 or 15 hours after you put it on, whereas a bad one can smell like a campsite outhouse in July, within a few hours. Eating asparagus, however, makes your diaper smell stale almost right away... at least for those who can smell it. 

• Like 1

We have an asparagus farm a few miles from our house.  From mid April to late June, we have it at least three times a week.

I love asparagus, but am embarassed by how my diapers smell in the evening during that season.  My wife says she can't really smell it, but I certainly can.

• Like 2

Never even thought of that concern before. As it were I've never had asparagus on the same day I wore a diaper so it's hard for me to say. I don't think I've noticed a different smell when I had asparagus though so I'd probably be fine. Likely also helps that it's just me, myself, and I at the moment so if it does smell worse, whatever. Not like I haven't smelled bad after a heavy workout and I'm still going to clean up after.

• Like 1

I've been avoiding it since I went into nappies full-time.  I used to love asparagus, and there are farms around here growing it.  But it's not a great loss for me, since I've lost most of my sense of smell now.  That means asparagus no longer tastes like it used to, and is consequently no longer worth eating for me anyway.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, willnotwill said:

Grow my own.   In spring we have a lot of it.

We grow our own as well.  A little pepper, then wrap it in bacon and toss it on the BBQ.  Good eating!

• Like 1