LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Hiking to a New Life (Chapter 39 posted 4-27-24)

Long time listener, first time caller! (I just realized how old that reference is. Ouch.)

I hope that it's okay if I share this story with Y'all. It's been in my head for a while and I hope you enjoy it!

Chapter one:

John Smith was a thoroughly unremarkable young man. At five foot eight he was certainly not tall, and he was neither muscular nor scrawny. His tuft of unruly brown hair blended into the woods around him. He was never really an athletic person, and he could not even spend enough time sitting still to be called a gamer. He tried his hand at fishing because he enjoyed being outdoors and found that he was okay at it, but only rarely caught anything worth cooking. He tried cycling but never felt comfortable on a bike.

John had only found one thing he ever truly enjoyed. Being outside and walking through the woods. Once his girlfriend of three years moved away for college, they promised to stay in touch. They were still friends, but left with little else to do with himself, John took to his only hobby with some enthusiasm. None of his clothes were expensive, and his vehicle was a thirty year old small truck that was only remarkable in that it still works fine.

John had, in fact, only made one glaring error in his twenty four years of life.

He got a job at a store that sells his hobby. He was certain that it was a good idea at the time. After all, he could get hiking supplies at an employee discount! His boss was a very nice woman that would offer damaged inventory to the employees after writing it off. With his workplace being closed for an upcoming Monday, and having won the lottery of having a Friday off, John found himself with a very rare opportunity. And with no one to answer to for the next four days, he was determined to try something new.

John was going hiking and camping for three days.

After he explained his plan to his boss, she cautioned him very sternly about bringing plenty of water, a compass, a map, and all the camping supplies he would need to sleep out on the trail. “If you are going to be out there for three days, you bring food and water for five. Stick to known trails, and never once put your camp knife down. If you see wildlife, you go the other way.”

And so he left work with a dented wagon that was written off with large wheels to be pulled on a beach, camping supplies for several days, a small tent, and a cheap but sturdy ice chest with three gallons of water in it. Parking at a nearby nature trail and getting his supplies out of the back of his small truck Friday morning he tied a lead to the handle of his wagon and started walking down a trail that he had been down a dozen times.

But this time was different. This time he didn't have to turn around after three hours and come back before it got dark. This time he was out for the weekend.

So happily humming to himself as he patiently walked along the trail, he cheerfully picked up acorns as he went and tossed them to any squirrels he passed by. The squirrels wouldn't really care that he threw them acorns, but they were cute and it was fun to see them grab the acorns and scurry away with them.

As the trail led our intrepid adventurer along a wide creek come mid afternoon he couldn't help but stop and sit down on his ice chest and take a break to eat a couple of granola bars and drink a bottle of water. He was so happy in that moment that he emptied his right cargo pocket of acorns next to a nearby tree and sat to just enjoy the view for an hour.

Stopping to take a couple of pictures on his cell phone, he noticed that the trail curved off to the right away from the stream, but that the land by the stream was flat and wide open. So why not just walk along the stream, and the next day simply follow the stream back?

So with a wave to a squirrel that was watching the intruder from a pile of acorns, he set off at a leisurely pace along side the stream. Two hours of walking later, the stream was very shallow. Barely even ankle deep and no more than ten feet across. And it was here in dimming evening light that John noticed something strange on the other side of the stream.

The air over there looked … different. Almost … Shimmery? So, pausing to take another deep drink of water, he slowly walked across the stream, wagon still pulled by his belt, and had very little trouble of it. And there, several miles from any known trail, he found himself staring at … nothing. Or something. Everything looked the same, but that shimmer was still there. And what was more is that if he squinted as he looked through the shimmering spot it was strangely like a magnifying glass.

How does the air do that?” he asked out loud.

And then he made another mistake.

He walked up to the spot where the air looked distorted and shimmery.

For a brief moment nothing seemed different … and then he felt dizzy. His insides felt like they twisted, folded, and compressed. It all came on suddenly, violently, and in that instant everything in his stomach seemed to take up too much space. And just as suddenly he was on hands and knees as everything in his stomach decided that it had other places to be. None of which were where he had put them.

After several very unhappy moments, John stood back up, wiping his mouth on his forearm and looking around himself. Something was not quite right. The stream behind him seemed much larger than he had remembered moments before. The trees looked … larger. Why would the oak trees look larger? And more importantly … wasn't it just getting dark? The sun was now high in the sky.

Taking a few steps he found himself slipping and noticed that his boots seemed quite loose. He had to pull all of the laces in as tight as he could and retie them to make them a bit snug again. So much for his good quality boots, the darned things got loose for some reason.

It took several minutes for John to get his bearings and walk back to the stream he had just crossed. It didn't make any sense, he had just come across that very stream, and now as he looked back in the now bright daylight … it was easily thirty feet across and moving much faster than when he crossed it. Suddenly feeling very concerned, he decided that he had enough adventure for the moment and started walking back along the stream the way he had come. Back toward civilization, shivering a bit in the suddenly cold air.

Walking back along the stream the way he came, but now stuck on the opposite side of the stream, John Smith was growing more confused and concerned as he went. He picked up an acorn out of habit, but this acorn was abnormally large. The size of a lemon. Why would an acorn be so large? Figuring this was some sort of fluke, he tossed it into the wagon behind him and kept going.

After a couple more hours and several more freakishly large acorns, John felt just far too tired to keep going. He could see smoke off in the distance but he just couldn't walk any more. Despite the sun being still up in the sky he felt like he's been walking for twenty or thirty hours straight. So he found a small clear spot between some trees about ten feet from the stream and popped out his little tent, easily stepping on the stakes to anchor his little tent into the ground.

He set about clearing a patch of dirt and using his camp knife to chop some of the large twigs into manageable chunks. A few minutes with his zippo and a pile of leaves and he had a tiny fire surrounded safely by a wall of dirt. Sitting next to his wagon drinking water and eating another granola bar, John started to doze off.

After what seemed like moments to him, he opened his eyes to see that his fire had gone out and on the other side of the ashes was something looking at him. Something bigger than it ought to be.

With a yelp of surprise John scrambled to his feet and fumbled to get his camp knife out of its holster and hold it up between him and the wild animal. Gray, and easily the as big as a medium sized dog, there stood before him the largest squirrel he had ever seen. And with its low body and nose working fervently, the squirrel was staring straight at him.

After several moments of being stared down by a squirrel almost half his size, John calmed down enough to reach into the wagon behind him and pull out an acorn. The squirrel stared at the acorn now instead of him. Very slowly he leaned, holding the acorn out and preparing to roll it, the squirrel instead reached out for it, grabbed it and in a flash was gone up the tree next to him. It took a minute to breathe normally again.

Now shaking and very confused, he pulled the wagon up in front of the entrance to the tent and did the only thing he could think to do.

John freaked out as quietly as he could manage until he fell asleep hours later.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Chapter Two:

Amanda Taylor seemed a very normal offering for her people. A bit short for an Amazon at ten and a half feet tall, she sported dark brown hair down to her waist and dressed very conservatively today in loose fitting jeans and an old shirt as she worked outside.

Amanda spent the day in her garden, content to have a nice quiet day. Unlike most of her friends, she didn't like being in the city with all of the hustle and bustle. With a satellite internet connection and working from home, she had managed to get a small two bedroom house out of town, next to an adorable little creek. It wasn't a fancy home, but it was hers. And most importantly, it was paid off. She had spent the last three years working all of the overtime she could make certain that she was able to finish it off quickly.

There was something about waking up in a paid off home and having coffee on your porch overlooking the stream that felt amazing.

A large fluffy dog sat on the porch next to her staring at the squirrel in the distance while she drank coffee. Giving him a reassuring pat she admonished him “Xerxes, you're never going to catch that squirrel, just leave it alone.” But she was met with a grumble from a very talkative dog. Xerxes was absolutely not going to give up on harassing that squirrel it if came into the yard.

Startled a bit as the phone rang, she put her coffee down and pointed at Xerxes and admonished “No barking while I'm on the phone, Mister!” as she walked inside to answer the phone. Standing half in the doorway, still determined to enjoy the brisk air, she picked up the receiver.

Hello?”

Oh hi, Cat!”

Yes, we are still on for next weekend, but I wish you would come out here instead.”

I live a half hour out of town, it is not that far and you know it.”

Cat, are you trying to hook me up again?”

Rolling her eyes now “Cat, I'll date again when I'm ready to. And no I moved out of the city to get away from all of that noise.”

Now leaning against the doorway: “Yes Cat, I know, I have Xerxes out here, and you know he's very protective.”

Slumping slightly “No Cat, I don't want to adopt a little. I've never really met one that just see..... okay okay, listen. I'll make you a promise if you'll drop this. If I ever find a little, OR a man, that I like, I will call you that same day. Fair?”

And finally rubbing her temple “Yes Cat, I know and I love you too. Yes, I know you love your little and she's the sweetest thing on earth. If I meet one I feel the drive to adopt, I promise that I'll ask you for advice and you can come meet them.”

Yes Cat, I kno...” and now looking around her porch and noticing a specific ball of energy missing. “Cat, Xerxes is out the gate, I have to let you go. I'll see you next weekend! Bye!” and she nodded for a moment and then hung up and looked at the back yard where Xerxes, her large fluffy Collie most certainly was NOT.

Putting on her shoes she grumbled now “I swear that I either have the best dog in the world or the worst. He's lucky he's adorable and protective.” and she set off through the gate in her back yard to find her errant canine.

--Meanwhile!--

John woke up very thirsty and groggy after only a couple of hours of fitful sleep. Carefully unzipping the flap of his tent he peeked outside to see if he was alone, or if the freakishly large squirrel was back to scare him senseless again.

Seeing that the coast was clear he quickly grabbed something from his wagon and relieved himself before burying any evidence and going back to his wagon. Determined to stop shivering in this brisk air he set about making another small fire and sitting down next to it rubbing his legs. It was warm shorts weather when he set out this morning and now it was a bit chilly here in the shade. Just one more piece of the puzzle that made no sense.

Eventually realizing that he has a cell phone, he pulls it out of his pocket and stares at it. Of course there's no signal. It was worth a try. Hearing a sound of something moving in the leaves behind him, he reaches into to the wagon behind him with his left hand for a freakishly large acorn while sliding his phone back into his pocket with his right hand. Standing up he turns to see the same squirrel back again.

Carefully holding the acorn out at arms length the squirrel reaches for it more slowly this time, and holds it in its paws for a moment while smelling his hand. Then it's gone again in nearly silent sprint, bounding up the side of the tree. With a little laugh, despite himeself, he mumbles out “I shall call him Steve.” and turns back to his fire to see … a very large furry black nose in front of his face.

With a now panicked and very unashamed scream, John jumps backwards away from the beast, over his wagon and back against a tree. Fumbling again for his camp knife and dropping it, he takes lots of shallow, panicked breathes. Hyperventilating as he tries to take stock of what he's looking at, he sees that he is looking at a … dog.

A dog the size of a horse.

Calming slightly, honestly surprised that he is still alive and mildly relieved that he had just recently emptied his bladder, John took a cautious look at the beast in front of him. Black furry snout? Check. White fluffy chest? Check. Black body crouched low, possibly ready to jump? Check. Large black tail flicking back and forth wildly knocking everything out of his wagon? Double check.

Holding out his left hand, slightly confident that he's not dead yet he says quetly “Uhhhh.... good …. uhhh... good doggy?”

Immediately the large beast darts forward and starts smelling him. Not just his hand but his face and his chest and down. Standing with his eyes closed, all John could do was turn his head to the side and hope for the best until he stopped feeling the nose all over him. For a moment all that he could hear was the sound of a dog breathing excitedly in his face and a tail knocking over his wagon with a loud clatter.

Experimentally, he reached up with his left hand and put it on the beasts's nose. This turned out to be a mistake because two seconds later he had a tongue dragged up his torso and over his face, leaving him in a mixed state of fear and disgust. He was cold. He was now wet. He was relieved to be alive. And he was wet. Yes, wet is listed twice. John is on the verge of a panic attack, he's allowed to focus on one thing twice.

From off in the distance he could hear a voice calling something. He couldn't quite make it out, but it was definitely a voice. And at the sound of the voice the thumping of the ballistic tail stopped and the dog laid down and was still. What in the world was this dog doing?

Trying to sneak back around the dog toward his wagon, John can't help himself but try to reach out and splay all his fingers out and scratch just above one enormous ear. It's a dog. You have to scratch the ears, even if it's a giant dog and you have no idea what's going on.

With seemingly no control over what is going on aroudn him,t he only thing John can think to do is turn his wagon back upright and put his few items back into it. While he's flipping it back over he is very aware of the sound of crunching leaves getting closer very quickly. As he looks up he can hear the same voice calling out, and now he can hear it closely.

“Xerxes! Where did you get off to goofy dog! You never go out this far without me!”

Looking forward at his own height, expecting to see a human, he finds himself looking at … a thigh.

Wait, what?

A waist.

Looking up John finds himself face to … uhh, waist, with a very tall woman with long brown hair. Lovely sight to behold, but terrifyingly large. John drops the ice chest he was putting back into his wagon and cannot help his impulse to back away from the giant, genuinely terrified beyond control.

She looks at him with surprise “Oh my! A little! What are you doing out here? It's dangerous for you!”

That was it. John pivoted on his left foot and sprinted through the trees.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2
40 minutes ago, kerry said:

This is starting out quite nicely. 🙂

I don't know how to use forums much. Is this how I reply? I hope it is.

Thank you very kindly! I have a bit more than this, I'm just trying to proof read it and check for goof ups before I head to work tonight.

Did I post this in the correct place?

17 minutes ago, sklawlor said:

this is really good, can't wait to read more.

Thank you verymuch!

I have to go to work, but I have one more chapter ready to share before I go.

I hope I don't make too many errors trying to share what's in my brainmeats. They're not the healthiest brainmeats, but they're mine.

• Haha 1

Chapter 3:

Taken by surprise for a moment, Amanda stood still looking at the little disappearing between the trees. She tried to follow at first but then with only a thought pointed and shouted “Xerxes! FETCH!”

In a flash, the Collie was gone. Dashing between the trees like a nose guided missile.

Amanda heard a scream and some thrashing about four seconds later. A few moments after that, carrying the little by the back of his belt, Xerxes trotted happily back into the clearing. The poor scared little was a flailing and screaming “Bad dog!” and “Let me down!” over and over again.

Once the dog had brought the flailing little back by his belt Amanda got down on one knee and took him as gently as she could under his shoulders and held him upright, just above the ground and spoke softly to him, trying to calm him down.

Hey. Hey, Sweety? Look at me. Take a deep breath, you're safe. You're safe. Deep breaths. Like this, see?” And she tried to take a few deep breaths in hopes of him mimicking it and calming down. He tried to push her arms apart and twist to get free constantly while she was talking.

Finally he started slowing down and running out of steam. She kept talking to him in hushed tones and hoping he would stop hyperventilating.

Eventually, after several more minutes the panicked little looked up at her and started breathing less erratically. She soothed him a bit more “Deep breaths, in …. out … come on, you can do it. Take a minute. When you're ready, try telling me your name.”

Finally he looked her in the eyes long enough that she could see his steely gray eyes and managed between gasps “I... I'm …. J-John”

Nodding slowly, she said very softly “Hello John. I'm Amanda. Do you know how you got here?

The poor stressed little tensed up like he was going to try to run in the air for a moment before giving up and answering. He struggled to make a sentence. “I … I was hiking … I … day off... and there was like a shimmer and then everything felt wrong and hurt an I threw up and I fed an acorn to a giant squirrel and … I … and I don't know how to go back … and … and everything is so huge!! What … what's happening, why are you so big!?!”

Finally piecing together what the little was saying, Amanda stopped and stared “Sweety, did you get trapped in a rift?”

I don't know what a rift is!” He answered, still frantic.

Okay, okay. My house is just around the way. Do you mind if I carry you? I think we need to get you somewhere safe. You're safe, okay? I'll get you inside and we can talk, I think you need a moment.”

He answered “I … I can walk.” while still shaking from head to toe.

Very delicately, she put him down, but did not let go around his ribs to make sure he was stable “Let's see if you're okay. You promise not to try to run off into the woods where it's dangerous again?”

On wobbly legs he stood and nodded “Yes, Ma'am.”

And you are certain that you don't need me to carry you? I'm here to help.”

He silently shook his head no.

No you don't need help?”

He nodded his head yes.

Okay. I'm going to let go. If you fall, I'll catch you. Ready?”

Once again, he nodded.

Very slowly she let go around his ribs and stopped as he tensed up like he was going to flee again, but as he relaxed and started to look around she stood back up and gave him a little pat on the head. He tensed up a moment but finally just started gathering the things strewn about and putting them into his little wagon.

Taking a step back and looking around at the scene, it started to make sense. The tent. The camping supplies, even the little fire in the dug out hole. She frowned as she saw a knife on the ground by the nearest tree. As long as her hand. Dimensional rift or not, a little should never be in a position to need a knife. She picked it up and carefully placed the small (to her) knife in her back pocket, making sure not to poke herself or cut her jeans.

Looking over, the industrious little John was already folding up his tent, letting go, and growling at it as it popped halfway back out before he could tie it up. Reaching over with her right hand she closed her hand around the tent to pinch it shut so that he could tie it off. He jumped at first, but almost immediately tied a little cord around it and let go.

With a nod Amanda placed the tent in the little wagon and turned to see him now burying the fire in the dirt so that it would go out safely. Such a cute little, trying to be responsible! Oh the poor thing is about to have a lot to digest. How in the world is she supposed to explain this to him?

He looked around and finally grabbed the handle of the wagon and looked up at her. He was shivering and covered in dirt, but he looked so brave in that moment that Amanda felt her heart melt a bit.

You ready big guy?”She hoped maybe that would encourage him a bit.

With a nod he answered “Yes Ma'am”

Okay, it's this way. Xerxes. Home!” and she waved him along, walking slowly to make sure he could keep up and absolutely making sure she didn't let him fall behind. It was only a few hundred feet, but the going was slow with him pulling his wagon. They eventually made it to her house and as they walked through the gate she looked at his face to see what he was looking at. His jaw was open and he was staring first at the fence, and then the gate that was half again taller than him, and then back at the fence. When he saw the house he stopped in his tracks.

Standing there shivering he eventually peels his eyes off of the house and looked at the garden and then the fence again, and then to Xerxes, mumbling “Is this a dream? Did I shrink? … aliens?” to himself.

Closing the gate, she leaned down and carefully picked up the wagon with both hands and moved it over by the porch. Turning back to the lost little she knelt down again “Okay, do you mind if we wipe you off with a hand towel before bringing you inside? You look like you lost a fight with the ground.”

Looking toward the sun getting low on the horizon, she nodded and held her hand out to him “Come on, the stairs are a bit tall, let's get you inside.”

Hesitantly the scared little reached up and took her hand and uncomfortably accepted her help up onto the porch. Stepping inside she dashed over to the kitchen and got a hand towel and stepped back outside. In the five seconds that he was out of her sight, Xerxes was next to him and he was reaching up and scratching two large fluffy ears. He may be scared, but no one can resist petting a dog.

As she gave him a quick scrub down with the towel,he tensed up for a moment. But a quick lick from Xerxes and he went back to petting and she was able to get most of the dirt off of him and give him a little pat on the head. As he put his hand on the dogs nose, he smirked as he felt the wet nose. Until he got a face full of lick.

Rolling her eyes, Amanda wiped off his face and taped him on the shoulder “Come on, inside we go! I'll get you something to drink and we can sit on the couch while I explain where you are.”

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Chapter Four:

John Looked up at the very tall woman that had … found him? Saved him? Caught him? He was a bit spaced out and she had to repeat something again, but she was being patient with him at least.

Wait, she repeated something.

He shook his head "I'm sorry, what was that?”

She said a third time, very patiently “Please take off your muddy boots and leave them out here on the porch.”

Oh! Yes Ma'am.” And he reached down and he started to untie his hiking boots, but realized, strangely, that he could just tug them off. Why would they be so loose. After a moment of staring at his boots in confusion, the giant woman chimed in.

Are you fascinated by your boots? Would you like to come in?”

Placing them down on the edge of the porch and putting his socks into them, he finally responded “I … sorry I just … They seem bigger than I remember.” And he followed her into the house.

Don't worry, Hun, I think I might be able to explain some of this for you, but we need to get something warm in you, you're still shivering and it's getting cold now that the sun is setting.

As he followed her into the house, he turned and looked at the dog laying on the porch and looked up to ask “Can Xerxes come inside with us?”

She smirked down at him and chided a bit “Oh, you're not afraid of the dog?”

Turning red and looking down at the floor he mumbled “I like the dog.”

leaning down now, she asked him softly “I'm sorry Sweety, I couldn't hear you mumble that.”

Clearing his throat now he looked up briefly, and then back down “I like the dog.” He said again, this time a little louder.

She laughed a little before whistling and snapped her fingers, then the horse sized canine came trotting in to lay in front of the couch. “It's okay John, Xerxes is a good dog. Now see if you can get up onto the couch while I fix you something warm to drink.”

Walking over to the couch that was as high as his ribs, he gave it an experimental poke to see how firm it was while a cold wet nose smelled his leg. With a bit of effort, which really meant jumping and rolling onto the couch, he laughed at the novelty of of such large furniture.

Looking over at the kitchen adjacent to the living room, John spoke up “So why is everything here so big?” While Amanda opened a drawer and pulled something out of her back pocket, he yelped and scooted back on the couch as something cold touched his foot.

Xerxes! Cold nose!!” He said while reaching down to scratch some ears.

He could hear from the kitchen “Well, I would like to ask you a few questions before I try to explain it, but I think you may be a … little … bit further from home than you believe. Possibly … a lot further.”

Walking back into the living room now, she held out to him a cup with a lid while saying “You're in luck that I have a cup in your size, my friend Cat comes over with her little girl your size often.”

Taking the cup by one of the two handles, he stared at it for a few seconds before speaking up “Uhhhhh.... this … is this a sippy cup?”

With a nod she answered “My glasses are too big and heavy for someone your size, and this way my couch stays dry. Do you think you can drink from that without fussing for me?”

Giving the cup a little shake he looked up and admitted “It's a bit … childish, but okay. I already feel pretty small right now...” Turning it up and taking a little sip from the spout was very awkward and he had to figure out how to get anything out of it, but he was rewarded with something warm. And … it was milk.

And a moment after he took that sip something in his brain clicked.

It wasn't just milk. It was delicious. REALLY delicious.

For a moment John attacked the cup with reckless abandon, completely oblivious to being watched by someone with an affectionate smile. Nothing existed until the cup was completely empty.

Only when he was done did he hear a soft question. “So do you like the warm milk?”

With a shake of his head he looked over and nodded “Yes Ma'am, I … milk doesn't taste that good where I'm from! How can milk taste this good?”

With a slow, deep breath, Amanda held up one hand and said a bit slowly “Okay, this might be a … little … difficult. First, I take it that you have never seen anyone my size before? Anyone called an Amazon?”

I mean … we have stories of women called Amazons, but I've never even heard of someone as big as you! I guess there were stories of giants thousands of years ago, but that was always just a bunch of myths and stories.”

She sat down on the couch next to him now and placed a hand very gently on his shoulder before speaking again “Would you be willing to explain to me everything about how you got here, so that I can make absolutely certain that I understand what I need to explain the situation you've found yourself in?”

Looking at the hand on his shoulder, John tensed up a bit, remembering how not an hour ago those very same hands felt like being held by anvils. After a bit of effort he managed to focus a bit. If she had meant him any harm he would probably been dead an hour ago.

And so John started at the beginning of his weekend. From having a four day weekend, to getting a wagon that was a write off at work, to feeding acorns to the squirrels like he always did. He laid out in detail that he had left the trail and followed a stream about five miles into the woods. The shimmering in the air, and that walking through it felt like being twisted into a knot and compressed. He glossed over the effects of his stomach before describing the freakishly large acorns, feeling like he had been walking for two days straight. Putting up his tent between two hilariously large oak trees, and then hand feeding acorns to a giant squirrel named Steve.

Until that part, the Amazon sat silently, carefully memorizing every single word the soon to be very confused little said. But she couldn't stop herself from blurting out: “Wait, how do you know the Squirrel has a name?”

With a shake of his head he looked a bit taken aback “Be.... Because I named it. It seemed like a good person, so I named it. Felt like a Steve. You HAVE to name animals if you hand them food. It's the rule!”

Covering her mouth to hide her smile, she urged him on “I'm sorry for interrupting, please continue."

And so he continued, but when he came to the memory of the panic attack in the tent he froze up. He didn't really know what to say, and just remembering it he started to shake again. That was when he felt a hand gently stroking his hair and he calmed down a bit from the distraction.

Quietly he admitted “I kind of … I got scared and … I freaked out a bit. That was before I saw a giant dog. And then … ummm...”

While gently patting his head, the Amazon leaned so that she could say it quietly “That was when you saw me and it was all too much and you tried to run away?”

With his chest now feeling tighter and tighter he nodded, convulsing slightly and trying not to tear up. He was usually a calm and happy go lucky person but this was all too much. He had in one day gone from intrepid explorer to not only lost but afraid of … everything! And now he was stuck in …

Just as he started hyperventilating he felt himself quickly lifted up under his arms and held to a chest. A soft hand stroking his back had him feeling conflicted. On one hand he didn't like being just picked up like a rag doll. But on the other hand he felt himself pressed against a large, warm body and he could hear a heartbeat against his left ear.

After several minutes he didn't even know that he was calm again, he simply … was. He had no idea where he was, but he felt safe. And for the moment that was good enough. He felt more tired than he ever had in his life. Like every fiber in his being wanted to just stop moving. Had the panic attacks worn him out? Was it hiking for what felt like two days straight? It wasn't important anymore, he was being cuddled.

Now lifted back up and placed sideways with his back against the arm of the couch, he was asked “There, is that better now?” and nodded a yes.

Patting him on the head now, Amanda said point blank “I'm sorry Sweety, but you aren't in your dimension any more.”

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2
3 hours ago, parkintochter said:

just wow. This is written really really good. Many amazon stories are kind of clischee but this reads like a professional written fantasy book. Also you publish very fast. 4 chapters in 12 hours is incredible. 

Also now I want a horse sized dog too

Thank you very much!

I had the day off of work and when I posted the first chapter, I had already written three. I have six written now and I just need to edit the next two and then write two more, etc.

And as far as I am concerned, Xerxes is the main character. Not on purpose but I mean ... Dog!

• Like 2

Chapter Five:

I'm sorry, what?” said the startled little.

Amanda looked down at the Little now leaning back against the arm of the couch and sighed. “I said that you're not in your dimension any more. You went through what is called a rift, and now you are now in my dimension. There's kind of a lot to explain.”

Now he looked her directly in the eyes and asked “How … how does that even work!? This isn't some sort of weird story, I was just out hiking.”

Shhh, it's all going to be okay. I'll keep you safe. I just … you are in a world where everything is a bit bigger than you are used to. People like you have been falling through rifts for a very long time, and before we figured out how the rifts worked, sometimes Amazons used to wind up in your dimension.” She tried to put it as reassuringly as she could manage.

The little just stammered for a moment “Uhhh... how...”

She patted him on the shoulder “If you let me, I'll try to explain things as simply as possible. I'll be sort of general so it's easy to understand.”

Waiting for him to nod and sit quietly, she did her very best. “Okay! There's a lot to go through. I'm an editor for a couple of companies, one of them is a magazine that shares weekly scientific updates. I just edit the articles so I don't know that I can explain it well, but I promise to do my best.”

With a pause to take a deep breath herself now, and to make sure her little audience didn't seem too lost, she continued. “So I have the advantage that I've seen Littles, that's what people your size are called, for obvious reasons, my entire life. You've never seen an Amazon. In our world everything Is bigger.” and she couldn't surpress a bit of a chuckle as she gave him a little poke on the belly “Including the squirrels named Steve.”

He giggled a little sleepily at the poke and swatted playfully at her hand while she continued “So here in our world it is very dangerous for littles. Even a hawk could carry off a little. Luckily for you, we Amazons have some very VERY strong parental instincts. We spent millennia fighting off wildlife and when we see Littles everything about us screams to keep you from being eaten. Not every country in our dimension has them, but here there are laws that dictate how littles are treated and cared for. The moment I found you lost in the woods, for example, you became my responsibility. It would not only be wrong for me to not keep you safe, it would also be illegal.”

Stopping for a moment to to watch her adorable new little, she smiled as he rubbed his eyes sleepily. “Are you still with me, or do you need a bit of sleep first?”

He shook his head and said stubbornly “I can stay awake a lot longer, please keep going.”

Nodding at the obviously tired little “I think that you may need to know that the food and drink in this dimension tends to affect littles … differently.”

Yawning now, and trying to hide it with his hand, John asked “How does it affect us?”

Patting him on his leg she said “For starters, our milk is probably the most nutritious thing for littles. So not only do you love it, but it's guaranteed to keep you healthy. Littles live long lives here if they drink our milk.”

That seems like a good thing.”

Now the little was blinking and trying to stay awake as she continued “On the other hand all of the food and drink here seems to make littles incontinent.”

Shaking his head, the little argued the point “But where I'm from I'm not incontinent.”

Amanda stopped talking for a moment and then she had an idea to get this sleepy little to rest “Well .. we'll have to see about that. Would you mind keeping Xerxes company while I go make a phone call?”

Okay, that seemed to work because now the yawning little was leaning and looking at the black and white Collie. The moment that their eyes met a tail started flipping back and forth.

I'll tell you what, let me put a pillow by Xerxes and I'll throw a blanket over you two so that he'll feel safe while I'm in the other room. Can you do that for me?”

The sleepy little was already awkwardly sliding down the front of the couch and sitting down with his back against the dog, using the dog as a pillow. Grabbing the small throw blanket off of the back of the couch, Amanda covered up the sleepy little and some of the dog and whispered to the dog.

Xerxes, guard.” she walked away knowing that her little guest was safe in the best paws available as she went to pick up the phone. Stealing a glance out of the back window at the setting sun, she walked to her office and pushed the door most of the way shut behind her while dialing a familiar number.

After a few rings, Cat answered “Hello?”

Hi Cat, do you have a minute?”

Kate is already in bed, so it's just me and the cat for the next few hours. What's up?”

Clearing her throat a bit, she started “Well... You're not going to believe this … BUT … I … found a little.”

When did you even go to town today? Just this morni..”

No, I found him in the woods.”

What! Why would a little be in the woods?”

Hold on Cat. Xerxes had darted out of the gate. I figured he was chasing that squirrel again, but I found him making a new friend. He had a scared looking little backed up to a tree and was smelling him. The second he saw me, the poor thing looked terrified and ran for it.”

But how did he even get there?”

After Xerxes brought him back to me and I got him calmed down, I looked around and he had a little tent, a fire, a little wagon full of camping supplies, and even a little camp knife.”

How would a little set up a tent in the first place, let alone a whole camp out in the woods?”

He got lost in his dimension and went through a rift while hiking. He hiked all day in his world and half of one in ours.” She opened the door slightly to peek over at the little absolutely out of it with his arms wrapped around one of the dogs legs. “Yeah, he's out cold right now.”

Poor thing, that's like walking more than two entire days and nights in his world. He's got to be so worn out.”

Oh he definitely is. I'm just glad that Xerxes found him before it got dark out. I don't even want to think about what would have happened if a fox had gotten him. After I got him calmed down … Cat he looked so frightened, it broke my heart.”

Amanda, I know that you've been telling me for years that you don't want to adopt, but you sound like I did when I found Kate when she got lost and her visa expired. Are you going to consider adopting him or are you going to call LPS and bring him to a Travelers Home?”

I don't … I don't know Cat. He's so scared I can't stand the thought of bringing him to a big city and just leaving him with the LPS. I'll try to figure it out tomorrow. Right now I need your advice. What do I need to do right now?”

It's funny, you're usually the one I turn to when I have questions. Okay, you already have plates an cups for when I bring little Kate over. Do you still have any of her diapers over there? I know Kate always wakes up wet after a nap. You can give him some of the milk we leave over there for Kate as well. And as far as food, I know you. You have a fridge full of veggies and a freezer full of pizza. Make sure to take all the pepperoni off of the pizza before you cook it. Most littles can't handle spice.”

I gave him a sippy cup fill of warm milk and it seemed to calm him down. After he drank it he slowed down and started listening a bit better. He was asleep before I knew it.”

Oh, if he had milk and then fell asleep you absolutely need to get him changed into something soon. Every time a little has milk they have a great nap and sleep right through their accidents. As soon as we get off the phone, go get him changed. You don't have a playpen or anything at all, do you?”

No, I just have the sippy cups and plates. Every time you come you bring that folding playpen for Kate to nap in. Could I borrow it for a few days?”

I'll tell you what, I'll bring it to you tomorrow afternoon, along with a booster … Well how tall is he?”

I don't know how tall he was before he came through the rift, but he's not much over four feet tall now.”

Ohhhh, that's pretty close between booster seat and carseat. I'll go ahead and bring you a carseat and a playpen. I'll snag a pack of diapers on the way.”

Thanks Cat. I promise to pay you back for this tomorrow.”

Your money is no good with me, you know that. Just take care of that little boy and keep him safe.”

I absolutely will. Oh, and Cat?”

Yes Amanda?”

Bring more salsa.”

You know, you grow the tomatoes, you could just make your own.”

I don't want to. See you tomorrow!”

And with that, conversation out of the way, Amanda nodded to herself and said quietly “Okay, time to get to work.”

She went to the bathroom and reached under the sink and got out the half empty pack of diapers. Pulling one out and little at the little puppies printed on them, she smiled at how appropriate that was. Grabbing the powder an a towel she walked into the living room to check on her charge. She spread out the towel on the floor before kneeling next to him and opened up the diaper, laying it out.

Now turning to the sleeping little, she experimentally lifted one of his arms between her thumb and forefinger an let go. It flopped limply back against the dogs leg. Perfect, he passed her impromptu flop test. Carefully unwrapping him from Xerxe's front right leg she laid him on the towel. As she was observing that he was well and truly out like a light, Xerses started to rawr and grumble at her a bit.

She whispered at him “Don't you get an attitude with me. He's not your little and I'm still in charge.” making sure to use the tone that she used when he was in trouble.

Xerxes only responded with a little ruff, almost sounding like a sassy harumph before laying his head back down and watching the sleeping John.

She tapped him on the nose playfully “I swear it's like you found him and now you think he's yours. Well I have news for you mister. You're both mine.” and then stopped when she realized what she had said. Did she really want to adopt him? It took a moment before she could shake her head and get back to business.

Undressing the little took a bit longer than she thought it would, since she was trying to be as slow and gentle as she could. It wouldn't do to wake him up and scare him. Once he was out of his little shorts, she lifted and slid the back of the diaper under him, laid him on it and gave him a little sprinkling of powder. After firmly taping up the diaper she looked him up and down. He looked adorable but his clothes looked like he had lost a fight with all of the dirt and grass he'd ever seen.

With a bit of a chuckle, she carefully worked his shirt up and off of him. Picking up his clothes she went to the utility room and dropped them into the hamper before heading to her room an searching her drawers for an old plain t shirt. Going back to the room she couldn't help but notice that the dog was slightly closer to the little than he was when she left. Xerxes wouldn't even look at her. You would swear that he thinks he's being sneaky.

With a sigh she knelt down and pulled the shirt over his head and got his arms through the correct holes before tugging it down on top of and underneath him. She then got to stand up and look. He looked like a toddler wearing his Moms baggy T shirt. Which in essence did not feel out of place for the Amazon.

Looking around the room there was a big dog cushion, but that didn't seem right. As a thought occurred to her, she went back to the laundry room and pulled a comforter out of the overhead cabinet and walked back. Taking a moment to fold it in half and then spread it out on the floor, she picked up her new little and stood there with him sleeping against her chest for a moment.

Oh my, it was so sweet holding such a sweet sleeping baby. It felt nice to just hold him and she couldn't help stroking his hair gently. She could feel her heart beating in her chest. She could feel his heart beating. She could never let anything happen to him. Every fiber of her being, every maternal instinct burned in her blood, something she could not explain felt sated for the first time in her life. “I can't send you to the Travelers Home. You'll be so scared. Ugh. Xerxes, on the blanket.”

The dog didn't need any more prompting, he got up and walked in a big circle before flopping down onto the comforter with a huff. She knelt down and laid him roughly where he was before against the dog and put the throw blanket back over him. Grabbing the towel she changed him on she stood up and could not help herself, she walked over to get her cell phone and snapped three pictures from different angles and sent them to Cat with no prompting.

Within second she got back the typical hyperactive response from Cat: “OH MY GOD!”

Walking back to flick the towel back onto the rack she texted back “I know, right!?”

After only a few seconds of little dots on the bottom of the screen, she received the reply “I know you're going to adopt him. You even have the same color hair! Although his has a bit of blond scattered in the brown.”

Rolling her eyes she typed “Good night, Cat.” and she hurriedly plugged her phone in to charge and placed it on the counter before she could be subjected to whatever teasing response was sure to come next.

And now it was time to clean up the house and dishes as quietly as possible.

Amanda had a feeling that her days were about to get more interesting, and possibly a lot cuter. She sat down in her office and made sure to type out every single detail that she could remember from this day, careful not to miss anything at all.

• Like 21

Chapter Six:

John stirred in his sleep. He felt warm all over and his body was definitely sore. Whatever he was laying on, though. It was very soft. Rolling back onto his side he felt something fluffy and soft against him so he wrapped his arms around it. He even draped one leg over it and yawned, dozing back off for a while. He thought he heard something when he rolled over, but that didn't matter.

Half an hour later he woke up with a yawn and rubbed his eyes. It was bright in the room he was in. He tried to sit up, but whatever he was on was soft enough that it was difficult. Every time he would try to get up his butt would just slide a bit and he would land back against something furry. It took several tries before he found himself sitting up and rubbing his eyes.

Patting the comforter he finally noticed that he was on a blanket the size of a bed, and that it was pretty thick. He heard a rhythmic thumping sound behind him and he turned to see a dog laying behind him. A BIG dog at that. The sound was a tail flopping up and down.

Startled and trying to get up, John fell back onto his butt and it felt like landing on a pillow on top of a blanket as thick as a pillow.

Wha.... where?” He stammered out as he looked around in confusion.

There was a large couch, a large recliner, a coffee table, a giant double window to his right. Behind him he could hear the dog standing up and doing a full body shake.

Everything was too big. Why was everything too big?

It was almost a minute before memories of the previous day started coming back to him. And it shocked him to recall all of it. Was he really in another dimension? There was certainly a dog the size of a horse to confirm his fears.

Kind of shuffling over to the edge of the comforter so that he could stand up he kept hearing an odd crinkling sound as he went. And where did this giant shirt come from? When he made it to the hardwood floor he got his feet under him and stood up, and was immediately disoriented by too many things to process at once.

Firstly there was something around his waist and between his legs that did not feel right and felt kind of warm.

Secondly the shirt he was wearing went almost to the floor. It was like a weird, light blue robe.

And thirdly he couldn't quite stand right. It didn't make sense.

Taking an awkward step forward, he noticed the door leading outside was open, and there was a glass door closed. Wobbling … and if he was honest with himself sort of waddling over to the door he looked out of it to see what was going on out there. The first thing that he noticed was that there was a nice porch with a swing on it, a couple of rocking chairs, and beyond that was a nicely sized garden.

Finally he couldn't ignore whatever was going on around his waist and he started pulling the shirt up and trying to bunch it up under his armpits. When he finally got it up above his waist to look at what he could see, he didn't know what he was looking at for a moment. Surely it's not what it looks like.

There's no way that's a diaper. Why would it be a diaper? Why does it look so thick? While trying to both hold the shirt up and feel the front of the diaper at the same time, he wound up falling on his rump. It felt like landing on a warm wet pillow and he just sat there poking the front of the … Diaper. Why is he wearing this? Why is it warm?

He sat there  in confusion until it clicked. He questioned “Why am I in a diaper!?” and started pulling at the tapes. They were stuck really well, he could get a grip on the end of it just fine, but the plastic landing area was thick and the tapes were practically welded in place.

Standing up he reached under the baggy shirt and got his thumbs under the plastic and tried to wriggle it over his hips. He was only met with failure as he just moved his hips back and forth. Giving up and letting the massive shirt fall back down he gave up and started walking around the house, trying to find Amanda to help him out of it.

Next to the living room was a nice kitchen. At least what he could see of it was, with the counters at the height of his head. By the time that he found out that there were two bedrooms and an office he felt like he had the trick of walking somewhat normally, but only if he squeezed his thighs together as he walked. It was a lot of effort, but to him it was worth it for the luxury of walking more normally.

He had searched the entire house and found himself standing in the bathroom looking at a toilet seat at the height of his chest. It was daunting, but by now he REALLY needed that toilet. Xerxes had followed him every step of the way and he thought seriously about using the dog to climb onto the toilet, but that didn't solve his underwear problem. It did not solve it in the slightest.

In frustration and with gravity pulling on the contents of his bladder, he turned and walked awkwardly back to the open door. Now looking through the door he could see Amanda in the garden with a bucket. From this distance she looked a perfectly normal height, going through rows of trellises picking peas and cucumbers.

Reaching up onto tip toes he was able to just tug the handle hard enough to get it to unlatch. As he pushed it open to step outside, however, Xerxes, the traitorous guard dog grabbed the back of his shirt and pulled him back into the house, causing him to slip and fall on his padded bottom yet again.

This time it was too much. The dam burst and he sat there as he flooded the diaper helplessly. He couldn't stop it. He sat there on the verge of tears, feeling more lost than he could even process. Why was this happening? Why did he feel completely helpless. Too many questions rolled through his head with far too few answers.

He felt warm down there. Thankfully he still felt dry, which didn't seem right to his brain, but he was thankful all the same. Now while sitting he pulled up the front of his shirt and stared. Now he had no choice but t come to terms with what he was looking at. A diaper, and a wet one that was now more swollen, at that.

Somehow just now noticing the puppies printed on the diaper just made him laugh at the absurdity of it all. “Heh. Of course it has puppies on it.”

And it was at this exact moment, with a dog holding the back of his shirt, his diaper on full display, and laughing at himself that he hears the storm door open. He looks up to see the giantess smiling down at him and asking “Did you sleep well? You were all tuckered out!”

His jaw fell open. Had his jaw been long enough it would have hit the floor. He scrambled for a moment and shoved the shirt back down to the floor, stammering. “I … uhh... It's not what it … ummm”

Putting her bucket of veggies down, she knelt down and patted him on the head “It's okay sweety. Whatever you're worrying about, it will all be fine. Do you want help up?”

He tensed up briefly when she touched his head but then went back to relaxed “Y...Yes please.” And she got him under his arms and lifted him like he weighed essentially nothing.

She held him upright for a moment before finally letting go and nodding when he stayed up on his own before asking again “Did you sleep enough? How do you feel?”

Looking at her, then down at himself and then back up again, he asked the obvious question a bit loudly “Why am I in a diaper!?”

She put a hand on his shoulder and pulled him in and hugged him, whispering “Shhh, it's okay. No need to shout, everything is fine. You're just in a diaper because littles have accidents. No one is going to be mad at you.”

Squirming a bit into the hug he argued fervently “But I'm not a little!”

She held him out at arms length and looked at him now “Sweety, you ARE a little.”

I am not a little, I am a human!” he argued a bit more.

Yes Sweety. You are a human. And I am a human. You are also a little, and I am also an Amazon. Things in our dimension are a bit different than they are in yours, that's all.”

But … but … can … can you take this off of me? I tried as hard as I could and it's stuck!” He said rather excitedly and emphatically.

Nodding, she replied “Don't worry, it was for just in case you had an accident while you slept. We can go take it off of you, and if it's dry you won't need another one until bed time.”

Ummm... if it's a bit wet, I still get a pass, right?”

Eyeing him suspiciously, the amazon nodded “Let's just take this one step at a time. Let me to get a towel and a change for you and we'll take it from there.”

As she stood up and walked away, John called after her “Hey, but what about my clothes, can I just wear them?”

Without stopping she responded over her shoulder “You were the dirtiest little I've ever seen in my life and your clothes are in the dirty hamper. In fact I think you also need a bath.”

Waddling behind her now, Xerxes still following two steps behind him, he followed her into the bathroom “Hey, can we just go ahead and wash them now? I can take a bath and just like wrap up in a towel or keep wearing this shirt for now?”

Standing in the bathroom she turned and looked at her little and thought about it for a moment before conceding. “Okay then little one, I'll make you a deal. Let's check your diaper, get you out of it, get you bathed and presentable, and into a fresh diaper. If you can keep that diaper clean until it's time for a nap, I'll get you some pullups.”

But I don't need pullups! I don't have … I've never had accidents before.”

Amanda absolutely did not miss that change of wording. “Okay. I have a friend bringing me some supplies for you. She should be here with her little this afternoon. Let's get you clean and smelling nice, and then we will take it from there. Deal?”

Crossing his arms, he huffed a bit and tried to think of a way around this. Not seeing any alternative, and having already proven he was stuck in the diaper, he conceded. “Fine, I could use a bath anyway.”

Smiling widely now, she leans and gave him a little kiss on top of his head before saying “Don't worry, you'll feel better once you're clean and dry. Let's get you a bath run.”

Can I just take a shower?”

Can you stand up under a waterfall coming from twelve feet up without slipping?”

Oh that's just unfair.”

You are very small here, Sweety. Go ahead and take off that shirt while I run some water.”

Fighting with the baggy shirt, he eventually just pulled his arms inside a and crawled out of the bottom. He picked up the shirt and then leered at Xerxes. “You're a traitor. You wouldn't let me go outside.” and with that he tossed the shirt up onto the dogs back.

Looking back from the running bath water, Amanda chimed in “He's a good dog, he knows that littles aren't allowed outside without supervision. He also chases off any predators that come anywhere near the house.”

Well, he should have come outside with me and supervised.” John retorted a bit more sassy than he really intended.

Moving closer, she reached for the front of his diaper “Uh huh. Okay, let's check that diaper.”

He backed up one big step and wound up hitting the wall behind him with a God's honest squeak. “Hey, I'm not used to people just grabbing my diaper! Or wearing one. Or wearing one and it being checked!”

Continuing on and giving it a little squeeze, she nodded “Well, either way, that thing is soaked. Let's get you out of that and into the bath tub.”

I can bathe myself, you know.” He whined.

Uh huh. Well, go ahead, take off your diaper and hop on into the tub.” And with that, she sat on the toilet and watched him patiently.

John swallowed hard and looked at the tub. The side of it was at his neck. He tried again to pull on the diapers tapes, this time pulling until his knuckles turned white. Finally he looked down and admitted “I can't take this off.”

Mm hmm. And how are you then going to get into the bath tub?”

I'll ...climb on top of the trash can.”

And then when you need to get out?”

Uhhhhh.... I … ummm... guess I can't.”

Placing her hand back on top of his head again, she reassured him “Listen, I'll be as patient with you as you need me to be. You aren't in your world any more, and I fully understand that. I will do anything I can to make this easier for you. I absolutely promise you that. But right now that means that you need a bath, some clothes, and some food before we have company over. If you work with me, this will be quick and you'll be squeaky clean and in a fresh diaper in no time. Can you do that for me?”

With a deep, ragged breath, John exhaled and gave in “Yes Ma'am.”

Excellent!” and with that she reached down with both hands and, with a flick, the tapes were ripped open and the diaper hit the floor.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Chapter Seven:

John squealed as he put his hands over his lower parts and shouted “How did you do that!?!?”

I just gave them a tug.”

But I couldn't undo them!”

Right. It wouldn't do it they just fell off while a little was playing, would it?” She chided him a bit.

He couldn't help rolling his eyes “But if a little can't take it off, they can't go in the potty, now can they?”

Mmm hmm. But as you can see, it sorted itself out. Now YOU need a bath.” and with that he had two large hands under his shoulders and he was lifted up and deposited into a bath tub with water up to his ribs.

He wanted to whine but honestly the water was warm and it felt great. He kept trying to cover himself for the sake of modesty, but enjoying a bath and trying to hide yourself in the bath at the same time wasn't going to work.

He looked up to see a smirking amazon looking down at him, and asked he “What?”

Now it was her turn to roll her eyes and tap him on the forehead. “Just relax and enjoy your bath, you look so tense.”

Only then did John realize that he was full body blushing. “But … it's a little embarrassing..”

And why is it embarrassing”

He looks up briefly, and then shyly back down “Because I'm naked and you're in here?”

With a nod she understood “I think I see. I'll tell you what, we can get you some bubble bath tomorrow. In the mean time, if I soap up a rag, can you scrub yourself really good?”

A bit sulkily he retorted “Of course I can scrub myself, I'm not THAT little.”

Uh huh” was the only reply he got before a soaped up rag was handed to him.

This wasn't a rag, this was the size of a dish towel. Grumbling at first he turned his back to the giant behind him in the interest of modesty and started to scrub himself. After a moment he just grabbed the ends and used it like a loofa and spent so long scratching his back with it that it ran entirely out of soap.

Peering back over the edge of the tub, he noticed the distracted amazon was wrapping up a diaper and throwing it away and getting something from a cabinet so high up that he couldn't possibly reach it without a big ladder.

Very carefully he stood up and sloshed as quietly as he could through the water to the front of the bath tub and found himself stretching up to reach a soap tray that by all rights should have been at waist level.

Two things happened at once: Amanda turned around and gasped. And John, who was standing on tip toes in a smooth bottomed bath tub full of water mysteriously slipped and landed hard on his bottom. The water only slightly slowed the impact and went splashing over the side as a result.

In an instant she was at the tub and picking him up an shouting with concern “Oh my goodness, are you okay! What were you thinking, show me where you landed, is anything broken, WHY WOULD YOU STAND IN A BATHTUB!?”

John being held in the air while holding one hand on his butt where he hit unyielding porcelain tried to calm her down “I'm okay, I'm not hurt! I just slipped! I was just getting more soap! You can put me down, I'm fine, I promise!”

John was a little freaked out by the amazon freaking out and started squirming, which was both bad because he was over a bathtub, and it was making her visibly more nervous AND more upset at him. After a moment her look of concern had turned to a glare and he didn't even realize that he was frozen like a deer in headlights.

That look wasn't just intimidating. It was terrifying. Like being stared at by a Goddess of Wrath, and he realized very intimately that the hands holding him in that moment felt like immovable anvils.

John.” She stated only his name in a tone that seemed so calm compared to his glare that he could FEEL himself turning pale.

He bit his lip and tried to look down. Only for her to clear her throat, and now he was too scared to look away.

John.” she repeated exactly as coldly.

Y... Yes Ma'am?” He could feel himself starting to shiver. Was it cold, or was he scared?

John. You are my responsibility. You are not allowed to break any bones just because you have not yet realized how small you are in this world. Do you understand me?”

Now nodding very enthusiastically “Yes Ma'am! I won't d-”

She cut him off. “No. You will not do it again."

"Sit.”

And with that she placed him back in the tub and he suddenly had absolutely no problems whatsoever with sitting still in the bathtub. He wanted in that moment to sit so still that she would have no choice but to praise him for how good he was at sitting still. He was, very suddenly, a gold medalist at not moving.

He could hear a few deep calming breaths from someone to his left. He refused to look, he was too busy sitting still. He could hear a rag being scrubbed against a soap. And then one of his arms was lifted and his armpit scrubbed. Then the other side was done as well. He was tilted forward and his bottom was inspected for bruises and then scrubbed.

Up.”

He lifted himself up and his under side was cleaned.

Down.”

Back on his butt and one of his legs was cleaned. Then the other leg. He embraced inner statue.

Until his foot was scrubbed. He tried SO hard not to laugh that when one escaped it came out as a snort. For some reason she kept scrubbing that foot. Then she got the toes and he lost his inner statue and giggled and shouted “Gah! Ticklish!”

And with that he saw the amazon pick up a large cup, scoop up a full amount of water and without any warning it was just DUMPED ONTO HIS HEAD, leaving him spluttering and flailing comically.

Finally. I forgive you.” and she scrubbed his other foot, making sure to pull him by it a bit and tickle him some more, leaving him giggling and flailing helplessly against the onslaught.

I yield, I yield! I'll tell you where to find the microfilm!” He just blathered out the first thing he could to distract her.

Finally she let go of his foot squirted a dollop of shampoo onto his scalp and while she was scrubbing his scalp he closed his eyes. Okay that part felt good. He could finally hear her speak, now actually calmly.

John you've only been here for a day and I won't pretend to understand how this must feel for you. I know that you are going to feel a bit helpless in our world. And I'm sorry to say that to an extent … you are. That is probably going to be hard to adjust to. I promise that I will do every thing I can to help you adjust. I'll be gentle if I can, and I'll be firm if I think gentle won't work. I want to keep you safe. You're an adorable little and Xerxes seems to love you already. But I have one rule for you right now. Tell me when you are ready to hear it.”

His head lathered up like a snow man he turned around to look up at her. “What is it?”

She looked at him with a grin. Oh no, that's a mischevious grin. John only registered grin for what it was as he watched her say “Don't give me any more heart attacks!” as she dumped another large cup of water on his head leaving him spluttering and flailing all over again.

Just as he stopped flailing another cup of water was dumped onto his head and all he could hear for a moment was water rushing over his head and a light laughter coming from somewhere above him.

Not F-pfft, pfftt, Not F*SPLASH*pfft pfftt, not fair!”

He looked up and saw her with the cup reloaded yet again. And she asked “Do you agree to the rule?”

Throwing his arms up over his head to shield it, he shouts “Yes Ma'am, Yes Ma'am! I agree!”

And with that, it was over. She poured the cup back into the bath water and put a dollop of conditioner into his hair and rubbed it in. Oh that still felt good, having his scalp massaged.

With a nod she said “Okay, you can splash around a bit while that sits for a minute.

Looking down at the water and then up at her, he asked “I can splash around?”

As she nodded and said “Yes, you can splash around a bit. Do you want more water in th...” And she stopped as she saw him sprout a mischievous grin just like she had only a moment before. “John N-”

But it was too late. John had cupped his hands and splashed her good. Only after the water was airborne did he consider if this was wise. But he saw the opportunity and he took it before he even thought about it.

He saw her look up a the ceiling, her face and shirt now wet and she said “Okay. I walked into that. You get one freebie.” and then she looked back down at him with a smirk.

Grinning up at her with his best attempt a disarming smile he asked “May I have some more hot water?”

She patted him on his conditioner covered head and then turned the hot and cold water back on to add some more hot water to the tub. He sat there silently watching the water running into the tub and feeling the warm water start coming his way. He sat cross legged in the large tub, lost in the sensation of warmth starting at his knees and then his thighs and then his back. It felt like meditating and he lost track of everything thinking about the stream he had crossed that lead him here. He did not move until she turned the water off.

With a deep breath and a sigh, he looked up and maybe he had a look on his face or something because her expression changed while he asked “Hey … Miss Amanda?”

Just Amanda is fine. What would you like to ask?”

He looked directly into her eyes and asked “Is it possible for me to go back to my dimension?”

He watched her take a deep breath and sigh herself as she knelt down and rested her elbows on the side of the tub. “That's not a simple answer, I'm afraid. But the short answer is probably not.”

He had to at least ask “But … what stops me from finding the rift and just going back through?”

She took a deep breath and stated “Well, Rifts are a one way thing, and then there's the other factors that I think would be especially bad for you.”

Well, I mean what factors are those?”

She held up a finger “Firstly, you lost a lot of size when you went through the rift.” She added a second finger “Secondly, the only rifts on our side have all been barricaded off and turned into portals that are very tightly regulated.” and then she held up a third finger “And thirdly … I don't know if you would survive a trip through. Rift littles are very uncommon these days and there are researchers studying what few rift littles they can find by quietly combing through their health records.”

He mulled over that list for a moment before picking one to ask about “Okay, but why would I be smaller as a result of going through the rift?”

She thought for a moment before finally answering “Okay, so I only edit the articles, I don't write them. I probably can't explain this as well as the experts but let's see … how about … ah! I know.”

He watched her grab two fresh, dry rags and lay them on the side of the tub. “Okay, so let's say that these rags both want to go from one dimension to the other, okay?”

He nodded.

And let's say that the surface of this water is the barrier between our two dimensions. With me so far?”

He nodded again. It was a bit strange, but okay.

Now Amanda took her right arm and started swirling the water around over the drain plug and then pulled the plug, nodding in satisfaction when the water formed a vortex going all the way down. She looked at him and said “Okay, this is a portal. I added the energy to make it. Drop a rag on the portal and see how easily it goes under the water.”

He shrugged, and got up onto his knees, pulled one of the rags off the side of the tub and tossed it out flat on top of the vortex. Sure enough it immediately spun and went down to the bottom. He looked at her and said “Okay, so that just went right down.”

Now she held up a finger an replaced the drain stopper and put her arm in the water until the vortex stopped. She then picked him up and turned him around where the water was calm. “Okay, now over here there is a rift somewhere. Take that rag and throw it on top of the rift.”

Ummm... okay.” So he grabbed the other rag, laid it out flat, and just sort of dropped it onto the water. It simply floated there for a moment soakign up water and after a moment a corner started to droop under the water.

Go ahead” she prodded him “Push it under. Rift travel is instant.”

With an “Ummm...” he reached over and just sort of … shoved the rag down through the water.

Nodding in satisfaction, she asked “Okay, what was different?”

He looked back and forth for a moment before saying “Well that one went right down and this one needed a push?”

Right! That one had energy already to send it through. This one needed the energy from your side.”

He nodded up at her blankly. It was clear as mud.

She reached down and pinched his upper arm a bit “Some of your mass got evaporated away and converted to energy as you went through.”

Slowly the pieces started to come together “So the rift shrunk me because it evaporated some of me?”

She nodded at him “I can't explain it like the scientists can, obviously, but essentially when someone goes through a portal, they shrink a little. When they go through a rift, they shrink a lot.”

Then what stops me from powering a rift and going through?” he felt it was a fair question.

John?” she asked back at him.

Yes?”

Do you have a nuclear reactor in your little wagon?”

I do not.”

If you had one, would you know how to connect it to a rift with nothing you can touch?”

I would not.”

If you somehow made it back through a rift and you were, say … half the size you are now, would you be able to survive the hike from where you came through to where you could find someone to help you?”

Something would honestly eat me before I made it a day.”

If you somehow survived the trip to civilization, could you take care of yourself if you were even smaller there than you are here?”

There's no way I could live on my own back in my dimension.”

Nodding sadly, she finished “I'm sorry John, but for the moment there are only two things that I can do for you.”

He sighed and asked “What are those.”

She smiled “I can promise to take care of you and keep you safe and happy in my dimension.”

He nodded “And the other thing?”

I can rinse you off an dry you and go feed you. You haven't eaten and you're turning into a prune.”

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, sklawlor said:

this is such a cute story, I love reading every new chapter and you're writing is very good.

Thank you very much! I'm trying to get back in practice, and I want to enjoy writing while I still can.

27 minutes ago, CCApril said:

Fun Story! I like the wilderness aspect to it. Giant fox would be terrifying. 

April

One word: Bobcat

• Kat5 changed the title to Hiking to a new Life (Chapter 15 posted 10-28-23)
  • Kat5 changed the title to Hiking to a New Life (Chapter 39 posted 4-27-24)