LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Best way(s) to self diaper?

I'm curious to see everyone's opinion about how they diaper themselves and see the best fit. I'm also posting this for future ABDLs using ABDL diapers. Personally I can never get the tabs right on a 2 tab like the ABU Cushies so I always have a friend help me get it on or if there's nobody I try my best but I can't ever get it even with a video. I tried laying it down and positioning myself many different ways and I just don't know how to get it just right. I order a size medium in everything (unless it's not available) and it fits comfortably when another person puts me in it.

Always standing and I never back into a wall to help.  I can diaper myself free standing and yes, bottom left tape, bottom right tape, then pull tight and do the top left and top right.  Sure I may have to reposition a tape for a more snug fit, but with dual tapes on most premium diapers and the Velcro tapes for cloth backed diapers, that is never a problem.

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, rusty pins said:

Always standing and I never back into a wall to help.  I can diaper myself free standing and yes, bottom left tape, bottom right tape, then pull tight and do the top left and top right.  Sure I may have to reposition a tape for a more snug fit, but with dual tapes on most premium diapers and the Velcro tapes for cloth backed diapers, that is never a problem.

The only way to go.

@APaddedPilot

The best way to self diaper is based on the person, the circumstances, any mobility issues or disability, and the ability of the person to actually do the diapering. you look online and there are a ton of different videos on how to diaper babies, and how to make sure that is done. those videos are usually used because their individuals who need to learn how to put a diaper on a baby, or maybe their babysitters or caregivers and they need to know that skill.

This skill changes slightly when you become an adult caregiver, caring for someone who is incontinent. There are several ways to change an adult, whether it be standing, sitting, Or laying down. there may also be another that you use when you're dealing with somebody who is immobile and Unable to change themselves and unable to help you. the main idea is that each time that you do it, you end up getting all your supplies together, and then you end up doing whatever particular way that works for you.

Since I can't stand up against a wall, and then pull everything around and tape it down, I can't use a standing position. because it's easier for me to put a diaper on in a laying down position, I rarely use the sitting position, and the other way that they do it is to have somebody roll you left roll you right stick the diaper in between you between each roll and then pull it up and tape it off. Whatever position you use you have to have all of your materials ready, because you might not want to leave the person that you're attempting to change in a position where they are alone for a long time. just like you would do a baby diaper change, you don't wanna leave the patient alone for very long, because they could have a situation where they may fall or injure themselves depending on the situation.

The way I do it is this: I my diaper, boosters if necessary, and then I go to my bed. I open the diaper, fold it in half like a banana, run it up and down with both hands so that it has a perfect fold in it, then I release the diaper grab it with both hands front and back pull it a couple of times to activate the leaf guards, and then I would place the diaper aside

Next, come the topicals:  because any topical lotions are creams cause problems for the diaper tapes. I always put on a pair of nitrelle Gloves on at least one hand so that I can handle barrier cream or any other diaper rash cream or anything else that needs to be applied. Once I'm done putting on the appropriate amount of topical, I spread it all over my skin in my diaper area to make sure there is a barrier between the diaper and my skin. if you have the right topical on, and you release, having a topical will make it a lot easier for you, because whatever you release will slide away from you and will not have anything to do with your skin, And the best thing is if you don't have any of that waste touching your skin, it will not adhere, which also means that it will not cause any problems for you when it comes to something acidic. remember that what you're leasing is acidic, So you have to be prepared for the worst.

Once the Topical Cream has been applied and everything is the way you want it, then you take the glove and you grab it and you turn pull it off turning it inside out. this allows the topicals and everything that's goofy and greasy to remain within the glove. throw the glove away and then you would return to a full sitting position. grab the diaper that you just folded and prepared, raise your legs all the way up and roll a little bit so that you can stick the back of the diaper as far under you as possible. when that is finished, you basically roll forward a tad bit if possible grab the diaper in the middle and pull it up. pull the front of it up as far as you can And then clamp your legs down just a hair. Once you do that, you set up and then look for the tapes on the back of the diaper, and extend the wings to the back of your hips. once you know that you have enough tapes to be able to do what you're doing, you simply pull the diaper up far enough so that it is far enough up your back.

once that is complete, you need to be able to make sure that the diaper is in the proper position. From a sitting position lift your legs and lay on the bed in a laying position. next take the front wings of the diaper, pull them down so that they meet the tapes, and then release the bottom tapes, and then pull the diaper down while a tape and sticking it into position. Quickly rub the tape back and forth to make sure that the tape is sticking to the landing zone if your diaper has it. next, go to the left side, and pull the diaper down just like you did before while releasing the other bottom tape. once you have the tape in a position you want stick it to the diaper and then do a quick rub on the tapes to make sure that the tape will stick and is not going to be sticking out further than you want it. if you need to adjust it, carefully unstick it Move it and then reapply it to the landing zone.

With your bottom tapes attached, pull the diaper up in the front, and then stick your hand down between your legs and make sure that your assets are pointing in the down position. This is most likely easily done when you have both bottom tapes attached, but you have to be extra careful that you don't force the tapes to release. adjust your assets to the down position, and remove your hand when finished.

Now take the top tapes go to. grab the top of the diaper and make sure that the top of the diaper is is lined up the way you want it. Pull the top of the diaper just a little bit and release the top tapes on the left and the right. doing one side 1st and then the other, pull the diaper enough so that it feels taught, and then stick the tape down, then go to the other side and do the same thing. once the tapes are in the right position, you have successfully diapered yourself.

Finally if you use the diaper cover like a trifecta, select one and then put it over the diaper that you're wearing. it is always a good idea to use a pair of trifectas that are a size bigger than the diaper that you are wearing. this is to ensure that when you use the diaper and it becomes puffier, it can accommodate whatever you are releasing. be advised that regardless of how good your diaper cover is, you can still end up with wetness in it, and you could also have something release in it as far as fecal content. Having your diaper cover is so that if something should happen and you exceed the capacity of the diaper, hopefully the diaper cover will help you keep whatever releases from the diaper exactly where it belongs in in your diaper cover.

Brian

• Like 1

My preferred technique is to diaper myself lying down, but I don't often get to do that, just because we're usually rushed in the morning, and, although I've been in diapers for 4 years, and my wife has seen my diaper 9000 times, I'm still self-conscious about diapering myself in front of her for whatever reason. 

So, in an ideal world, I'll "hotdog bun" fold the center of a diaper, anoint it with baby powder, then sit on it just aft of the middle, lie back, and then tape first the lower, and then the upper tabs. When I stand up, that's always the snuggest fit, and lying back to be diapered just feels "right". However, in the real world, most of the time I find myself folding the diaper, sprinkling it, and then pinning the back of it with my rear against a towel rack we have in our bathroom, pulling up the front, and then doing the lower and then the upper tabs.

Single-tab diapers always present a challenge, and in my experience, are not ideal for the adult body, although they work fine on kids. You have to either choose snug leg openings, and a gaping waist, or, a snug waist and loose legs. Products like ABU's Super Dry Kids and Rearz' Select single-tab-per-side diapers try to make up for this via making the single tabs as wide or wider than two would normally be, but at least on my form, that's still an imperfect solution. For that reason, single-tab diapers are a novelty for me, rather than a daily driver. 

One large single tab on each side does work okay on stretchy-sided "medical-grade" products like Prevail diapers and Tena's Stretch models, but in those cases, the tension top and bottom is maintained because of the elasticized wings - they're probably the closest, in terms of feel, that you can get to what a Pampers Cruiser would be like, if they made them in size 11. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, ppdude said:

Man, you complicated it to the point where it's a major event and now I'm afraid and discouraged from changing my own diaper. Yikes!!!

@ppdude

The idea that people have different ideas about how they change their diapers and they have different ways to do their diaper changes makes it so that there are multiple ways that you can change your diaper. My point is that I cannot do a standing diaper change, And some people may not be able to do a change like that. There are multiple different types of ways to change, and I've gone through and a way to find an appropriate way to change.

If there was only one way that you could change, then I could understand it, but there are people who may not be able to change by standing up. depending on how I do it, I may have to do it as a in a sitting  position or laying down position.

The easiest way that I change is to do the lay down method here. you still have to be able to fluff it out, and be able to do all of the adjustments to make sure that the diaper fits well. This situation is not complicated, but it seems as if youtube makes it complicated because there are four ways that you can change, and you just have to pick the one that makes it easy for you depending on the situation.

Brian

Edited by ~Brian~
spelling Edits

For me the best is standing back against a wall, lower tapes first then upper tapes. I have done it this way for over 25 years with no issues. But truth be told I have tried every way with no issues (free standing, laying down.....)

54 minutes ago, Three Rivers said:

For me the best is standing back against a wall, lower tapes first then upper tapes. I have done it this way for over 25 years with no issues. But truth be told I have tried every way with no issues (free standing, laying down.....)

The same works best for me when I put a diaper on myself.

When someone else puts me in a diaper or changes my diaper, I always lie down.

• Like 1