LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Snow chaos.

Dubious

It can be chaos in Norway too, when it comes a lot of snow, and its ice under the snow.

Was about 15 cm snow yesterday and another 30 cm today. (6 inches and 12 inches)

But nothing is closed, except some roads cause trailers are stuck. 

• Like 2

No one has it easy in heavy snow conditions, anywhere you live, especially when ice is involved too. 
I hope those heavy trucks utilize snow chains? Sometimes bravado (and laziness) gets in the way of a driver’s good sense. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dubious said:

It can be chaos in Norway too, when it comes a lot of snow, and its ice under the snow.

Was about 15 cm snow yesterday and another 30 cm today. (6 inches and 12 inches)

But nothing is closed, except some roads cause trailers are stuck. 

Wow! Down here in Texas we DON'T usually get snow, except for last year. But usually we get just ice and sleet, which is no fun!???️❄️??️☃️?️❄️??️❄️?️❄️?️❄️?️?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Little Spider said:

Wow! Down here in Texas we DON'T usually get snow, except for last year. But usually we get just ice and sleet, which is no fun!???️❄️??️☃️?️❄️??️❄️?️❄️?️❄️?️?

Chain up there too! ? ???

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, AbabeBill said:

I hope those heavy trucks utilize snow chains?

The problem is that we have lots of foreign trucks that have tires that are approved for winter use, but they are not snow tires, more like all-season. 

They don't put on chains until they get stuck, and then its usually too late. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, AbabeBill said:

Chain up there too! ? ???

We've NEVER had to do that down here in Texas. It's never gotten that BAD. It's mainly just inconvenient. LOL!? But I understand what you're saying.???

1 minute ago, Dubious said:

The problem is that we have lots of foreign trucks that have tires that are approved for winter use, but they are not snow tires, more like all-season. 

They don't put on chains until they get stuck, and then its usually too late. 

It’s same, no matter where you are. Like I said, allot of professional heavy truck drivers, don’t want to take the time to stop, chain up, before they get into trouble. 

2 minutes ago, Dubious said:

I have snow chains, but it was enough to engage 4x4. 
I got a pickup, so its light in the rear. 

It’s not a bad idea, to pickup some sand bags from your local home store, and keep them in the bed for winter. The extra weight helps keep the rear end from sliding, and should you get stuck, you can use the sand, under the wheels to get going. 

11 minutes ago, Little Spider said:

We've NEVER had to do that down here in Texas. It's never gotten that BAD. It's mainly just inconvenient. LOL!? But I understand what you're saying.???

Understandable, sometimes it’s not worth the added cost, for extra cold weather running gear. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, AbabeBill said:

It’s not a bad idea, to pickup some sand bags from your local home store, and keep them in the bed for winter. The extra weight helps keep the rear end from sliding, and should you get stuck, you can use the sand, under the wheels to get going. 

None really sell sand bags... you can buy salt. 

I do have some ballast, and I usually had more, but now I try without. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Dubious said:

None really sell sand bags... you can buy salt. 

I do have some ballast, and I usually had more, but now I try without. 

Anything that will put some weight back there! Sometimes, if the snow is wet enough, and deep enough, that’s enough weight in the bed alone. If your bed is uncovered, of course. 

• Like 1

Here on the Prairies we consider all-season tires to be three-season. There are a couple of times a year where the roads get ugly even with snow tires. You haven't lived until you've seen a bus sliding down the hill towards you. ? Yikes! Four-wheel drive really helps.

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, Babygeebee said:

Here on the Prairies we consider all-season tires to be three-season. There are a couple of times a year where the roads get ugly even with snow tires. You haven't lived until you've seen a bus sliding down the hill towards you. ? Yikes! Four-wheel drive really helps.

Four wheel, or all wheel drive, won’t help you much once you get sliding sideways, or to stop. Slower speeds, and longer following distances !!! Or, putting off traveling, till the roads get treated. 

1 minute ago, AbabeBill said:

Four wheel, or all wheel drive, won’t help you much once you get sliding sideways, or to stop. Slower speeds, and longer following distances !!! Or, putting off traveling, till the roads get treated. 

This is true. It does keep you from getting stuck. As you say, slow down and drive for the conditions. Wish others would do the same. 

1 minute ago, Babygeebee said:

@Babygeebee

I live in the Northeast! as part of that indoctrination, we have had plenty of snow over my 50 years of existence, and there's probably even worse stories that someone can tell you about nasty snowstorms are really bad raining nights or whatever.  when you live in the northeast or you live in the snow belt, you have to use common sense when you're driving. all season tires do make a difference, but you also have to realize that there are times when as you are aware of, that you shouldn't be driving anyway. these are times like you said where it's so dangerous that you would have busses coming sideways at you are whatever else. that's when it gets really dangerous, and that's why you have to be able to make a decision on the Fly sometimes because You're not sure what the situation is until it happens to you.

There's also a class of individuals who understand how to drive in winter conditions. they don't drive really fast, they understand that when it's cold air and slippery out that you have to be careful, they end up getting up early in the morning, they end up watching where they're going, and usually they get to where they're going pretty easily, or take some a little longer, but they get there. these are safe drivers because they know when it is appropriate to drive when it is not. People like this are ones that usually know when it is so bad that you can't even hardly see out your window, or when you end up starting up your car that there's a lot of snow on the ground, you don't wanna be moving. I understand that there's no cost of people who regardless of what the situation is With the weather, they are going to have to go to work period that is going to be a given, but people have to realize that there is a time to decide that it's safe to drive and there's other times where you shouldn't. i'm sure that GB understands that very well because he lives in a place where there is a lot of snow, as do I.

We also have a class of individuals who live in the northeast or in the snow belt, and what they think is that it's really slippery or really bad outside. OKI can get in my Hummer or my Jeep or something like that, and I can throw it in four wheel drive and I can go anywhere, do anything, and nothing's gonna happen to me, and I can drive at the regular speeds. these type of individuals are usually the ones that cause accidents because they think that because of the snow in the ground, they can go as fast as they usually can because of the fact they have four wheel drive. 4 wheel drive just means that you have extra traction when you're trying to drive somewhere, or that you have the ability to traverse traverse situations where normal cars may not be able to go or get over. that does not necessarily mean that 4 wheel drive vehicles do not get stuck, they don't break down, or they don't cause issues for other people. you have to realize that whenever you are driving, you are responsible for what is around you what is behind you what is in front of you, and you are also responsible for clearing your windshields your remirers your back windows if possible, and to make sure you can see where you were going. many people like to leave Snow on their vehicle and expect the snow to blow off or to melt away. it is the responsibility of the vehicle owner to make sure they remove as much snow as they can from their vehicles when they brush them off in the morning. This way it'll protect the drivers that are ahead of you and behind you, because who in the world wants to get hit with a humongous drift of snow off of your back window or off your windshield because you didn't clean it off good enough in the morning. you need to be able to clean it off so you can see how all your windows so that you know what is going on, and you should always have your car started a little earlier so that it can warm up so that you don't end up wasting gas.

It depends on the season that you're driving. if the roads are bad, common sense usually dictates that if you're having trouble getting somewhere, other people are having similar difficulties getting somewhere. it also means that you have to exercise driving etiquette and Be able to understand that there are certain people who are going to be someone you have to be keeping aware of. By this I mean that my step dad or my dad have always taught me that they don't worry about their driving when they're driving the vehicle. In fact, they're not worried about their driving but they're worried about everybody else's driving. if everybody would just take 5 minutes, Warm your car up in the morning, clean it off, and make sure as much snow as you can get off your car is removed before you go anywhere, and make sure that you are able to have the right supplies in your vehicle such as ashes sand salt a shovel some warm clothing a blanket or two maybe some emergency candy bars or non perishable food so that if you get stuck in your car you won't have a problem, you probably won't need them, but it always makes sense to have them.

You Also have to realize that in the snow belt, conditions change at a moment's notice.  If anybody remembers the blizzard in 93, the ice storm of 98, or any of these other blizzards that have come through, they would understand exactly what I mean. these things come in And they are nasty sometimes. the blizzard of 78 for example totally shut down shut down entire way expressways, and made it almost impossible for anybody to move anywhere. Even within those particular conditions there were people who were trying to get places, there are people that were stealing things or taking things that didn't belong to them, and they were doing other types of things. sure, enjoy the snow but make sure you're safe when you're doing it! I don't wanna see anybody getting hurt, and I certainly wouldn't wanna see anybody driving somewhere and getting stuck in a blizzard: that can be pretty nasty, especially if you're unprepared so make sure you have your emergency supplies in your vehicle so that you don't end up in a situation, for if you do at least you would have your warm material available to you if you know that you're going to go out in less in less than optimal conditions.

Let's hope we don't have any major major snowstorms this year, Like a blizzard, but of course we're gonna end up with those types of storms so everybody needs to be prepared for them. and that is important because you don't want to be unprepared when something hits. use your head be safe be warm and make sure that you keep your cell phone charged. in days like A blizzard, you can't afford not to have the proper Emergency equipment available to you, and some people may not be able to get to you if the storm arm is bad enough. make sure your car is in operational condition and make sure that it has plenty of gas and if necessary dry gas or additive to make sure that your fuel lines and your oil lines and your brake lines don't end up getting all frozen up.

Winter and I we've had our ups and downs: being that I'm 50 years old and I don't go outside that often, I don't really sit outside and enjoy the snow. When I was a kid I used to be able to go play in the snow bank or end up playing with my brothers, but those days are over with period I still enjoy the Christmas holiday season and the winter, but for the most part if the weather is bad I close because I'm not going into the church when it is so nasty that you can't even see or you're going, or even if it's a good day, when the temperature in the building is below 62 degrees. 62 is the temperature they set, and if it gets any colder than that, and I have to go out in cold weather come And I come in and it's colder than 62 or it's at 62, that causes a problem for me and I get cold period this is why I won't come in on really bad winter days, or cold windy ones, because I wouldn't be able to warm up.

Everybody take care and be safe this winter: just because you have 4 wheel drive does not mean you can go 65 when the conditions merit 15 or 20. my brother has taught me that if he thinks it's safe to go 50, he will go 50. if he thinks it's safe to go 15, that's what he'll do. if he thinks that it's not safe at all karma he won't drive. those are smart things to think about in a winter situation. winter weather changes almost like summer like summer weather does, but sometimes it can be something that happened so fast you don't even have time to think about it: so be prepared exclamation

Brian

• Like 2

I grew up driving in all sorts of snowy conditions.  I have to admit that I chuckle a little bit when people freak out over a couple centimeters of the white stuff.  Even if it gets really deep I don't worry at all.

Bottom line....I know how to drive in the snow.

I'm bragging now :D

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, drynot said:

I grew up driving in all sorts of snowy conditions.  I have to admit that I chuckle a little bit when people freak out over a couple centimeters of the white stuff.  Even if it gets really deep I don't worry at all.

Bottom line....I know how to drive in the snow.

I'm bragging now :D

And the big frosty award goes to….. ?

I’ve driven a plow, on the major highways of the Northeast Corridor for near 20 years. Some of the stuff you see, is outrageous. Like the guy who runs into the blade of your plow, and keeps right on going. I guess he thought, it was to dangerous to stop ?‍♂️ People have run into the backs of our plows, honk for you to get out of the way, and give you the finger while yelling at you ? And these were times, when the Governor ordered people off the road, in a state of emergency. 
It’s all in good fun ?

• Like 2

February 2010 - "Snowmageddon" in this area.  I left work between 2 and 3 PM and as soon as I got out of the parking garage I knew there was going to be trouble -- so I called back in and told my coworkers that were still there to get the hell out.  They didn't listen.  Anyway, I lived about 24-25 miles from that particular job.  I finally got home around 6 PM that night.  And I was one of the fortunate ones as there were numerous reports of dozens of cars abandoned on the interstates and primary roads because they got stuck and ran out of gas.  And amazingly enough, I did it with a 2wd pickup!  Getting out of the city was a challenge enough. All of the primary routes were gridlocked.  So I ended up taking side streets as much as possible - all of which had seen little or no traffic, so snow was piling up quick.  A few places I had to deal with the main roads... and most had glazed over from so many cars packing snow and causing just enough melting to turn it into ice.  There was one point where I finally broke through some of the gridlock and was passing other vehicles going up-hill!  Ironically, I got stuck at the entrance to my own driveway.  But that was because I had lost all forward momentum and by then it was 6 inches deep.  I fired up my snowblower and cleared enough of the driveway to get the truck up to the house.   I didn't have true "winter" tires, but I had learned the benefit of getting the best tire I could afford years ago. 

That storm had dumped between 2 to 3 feet in less than 18 hours.  That's a lot for this area.

19 hours ago, AbabeBill said:

Anything that will put some weight back there! Sometimes, if the snow is wet enough, and deep enough, that’s enough weight in the bed alone. If your bed is uncovered, of course. 

When I had a short driveway and my pickup lived outside, I'd shovel the snow off the driveway into the pickup box. Then I'd have a clear driveway and some more weight in the back of the truck, which I wouldn't need to unload when the weather warmed up again.

• Like 1

When we first moved down south my southern step-dad complained that our car made a weird noise. We couldn't hear it. It took weeks for us to realize it was the sound of snow tires actually gripping the road that he was hearing and we were numb too lol.

• Like 1