LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Fluffing your disposable diapers

BabyJilly_S

Saw someone say about it on Youtube, think they called it that..

I have done tried it and they seem nicer and puffier as they are compressed when they arrive. However I am not sure, some of them didn't seem to appreciate it and got bunched up inside and that was a wasted diaper ......

So.......Is it best to? Are you supposed to? If so, is there a best method? Does it improve absorption? Was the bunching my bad technique? :)

I always fluff now. When I first started wearing, I knew nothing about it. But now that I know, there's no going back. The method of fluffing is subjective, but I lightly pull at numerous angles, so as to spread the padding evenly. I typically don't crease like many others, since once I start walking around, it creases itself. I've found it disperses wetness much quicker, bit the total absorbency amount remains the same no matter what. Just experiment & find what works for you & enjoy the padded tooshie?

Yup! I too have discovered the "wonders " of fluffing! All you are doing is " decompressing " the inner padding/absorbtion layer, allowing it to do its job. I don't remember the first time I tried this, but I did do it on some dry 24/7's I had, which I was dissatisfied with because they just didn't seem to work very well, and I had some bad leaks as well. 

BUT.... I fluffed one and wore it and VOLIA!!! It worked a heck of a lot better!!!????

so this so something I always do before padding up. As mentioned aslo, it does seem that cheaper brands have more difficulty with this than other... " higher quality" brands, so you have to take that into consideration. 

So fluff your stuff and enjoy!!?? 

Qwack

I thought I saw something about this sometime ago, but maybe I just think so in my head? 
Anyway, is it possible, and could it work, if you put them in a dryer? Not using any heat, of course! But I wonder, (obviously never tried) if it would work, and do a good job of fluffing a disposable diaper? 

Well, I've learned something new today. I started creasing my diapers down the middle sometime ago, and I found that doing so helped avoid that "V" that can form between the legs on thicker diapers, which naturally directs moisture towards the leg gathers. But I have not tried fluffing them up other than that. 

As to running them in a dryer, I'd be afraid of loosening the stuffing so much that it all dropped down into the bottom - I have had that happen in certain diapers over time if I'm engaged in vigorous and/or lengthy activity - going for a long hike or working on ladders, for example. 

One thing I discovered - and this is not on topic, but since heat was mentioned: I have a heated towel rack in my bathroom, and I slung a diaper over it a couple of weeks ago, not knowing it was on, and took my shower, dried off, grabbed the diaper... and it was warm! Putting it on was pure decadence. If you have a dryer that has one of those shoe racks you can put in it that doesn't rotate with the drum, you could preheat your diaper... careful with the heat settings, though, and, obviously, heating that entire appliance to convey some BTU's to one diaper is not exactly energy efficient. But on a cold day, a pre-warmed diaper is lovely. 

9 hours ago, Dubious said:

If you gonna put diaper in dryer, put the diaper in a pillow case or so, incase it rips..   (Not done it myself as I don't have a dryer)

Very smart, @Dubious. Diaper fluff blown throughout the appliance and down the vent could be a nightmare. 

long ago i didn't really fluff my diapers. then i started simply folding them up like a taco for absorption and preventing leaks from the funny "diaper camel toe". after hearing about fluffing, i started my own method (i'm calling the "rub method") of grabbing either side of the padding, folding it over so my hands touch and giving a gentle rub or three to break up the fluff. almost like rubbing your hands when you're cold but not nearly as aggressively. repeat this all the way down the diaper, then again quickly the other way (optional step), and the final fold into a diaper taco before putting it on. but i have found that doing this too vigorously or over doing it can result in everything sagging down in the diaper.

the stretching method (as i'm calling it lol) for me doesn't always work as different diaper shells don't stretch as much as others, and i have come close to tearing a couple of diapers (yay duct tape!). i've heard of the dryer method, but haven't done it yet. i do love the idea of a warm, fluffy diaper fresh out the dryer, but i don't want to change in my kinda chilly basement lol. maybe i'll just suck it up and give it a shot one day lol.

• 2 weeks later...