LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Thread watched Accepting diapers/incontinence using 24/7 (give up total potty training)

I am wondering is it acceptable to use diapers 24/7 as have both issues with bladder dysfunction (incontinence/retention/dryness) as well as Bowel dysfunction (Sever Constipation) due to issues at L3L4L5s1 Nerve impingement to the point I require Movicol 2 times daily and laxatab (laxative)10mg 3 times a week even then I require prune juice on top.

I also find myself severely dehydrated all the time so concerned of leaks to the point my Urea (Kidney) blood levels were a bit high and the continence nurse who did my assessment last year is concerned about hydration and kidneys.

Would it be acceptable to give up my so called "potty training" and just learn to accept and release into diapers and just accept it as my sporatic issues with dryness does my head in to the point I haven't been able to accept the incontinence as well as hope the spasms just fade away (the feeling of wetting one self but their is no leakage) also how does one do so

I hope I haven't offended anyone

I have discussed this with my Physical OT as well as Continence nurse contact (continence nurse contact just tells me to accept it and/or Self Cath which I have issues with as I have ASD as well as Bipolar (seroquel sedative at night to help me sleep) and essential Tremor in hands as well as my Physical OT has advised against the self cath due to my physical issues as well as risks of UTI and scaring
  • Like 1

Acceptance of incontinence issues can make it easier to deal with, I gave up trying to make it to the bathroom years ago when my OAB kicked in and I was making it to the bathroom less and less times.  I have no regrets with my decision and I quickly lost my remaining bladder control, I am now experiencing bowel issues on an increasing frequency but I am slowly coming to terms with that as well. 

Being diaper dependent is not fun but its livable and can be beneficial at times (Especially now with public washrooms closing again due to covid 19 increasing again. Its been 6 years now and diapers are simply a part of my daily life and I don't stress it Im use to my diaper being wet most of the time but it still drives me nuts when I use the washroom then put on a fresh diaper then minutes later im no longer in a dry diaper oh well its all part of dealing with ic issues and being diapered 24/7.

As rob110 said...it’s so much easier when you accept it and move on. I have been in thick diapers for over 15 years thanks to a drunk driver. I lost bladder and bowel control due to nerve damage. I was a DL before the accident, coming to terms with being in diapers the rest of my life made a significant change in my depression. I have to be double diapered at all times due to being a heavy wetter and having to intake a large amount of fluids each day due to medications I have to take. I still love being diapered though I have no choice but to wear them everyday. Thankfully, I have an amazing wife that married me after the accident that took my control away. She married me knowing that I would be diapered and she still changes most of my diapers. (That was her first rule. I’m not allowed to change myself. Only her or my home health nurse can do that.) I would definitely advise you to stay hydrated cause than can cause you major issues. It is a pain to drink a lot of fluids each day, but you need to do it. So I will end with, accepting being in diapers can make stress and anxiety so much less. So in the end you have to decide what is best for you health. Feel free to message me if you would like any further information. Good luck and stay padded!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm only urinary incontinent due to a back injury. It took me years before I finally accepted the fact that diaper were just going to be usual for me. My symptoms were initially sporadic and I tried to convince myself my condition was improving. I would stop wearing diaper as soon as I could. As you can imagine, the return of my incontinence was usually sudden and not at the most opportune moments.  This push-pull from wanting not to need diaper and needing them caused a weird situation were I became emotionally attached to wearing diapers. I didn't realize it was happening. I would be very stressed and anxious when I wasn't wearing a diaper - because I never knew when I would suddenly have no control. 

Eventually, my physical condition deteriorated to where I very seldom have even marginal urinary control. I never wanted to "like" to wear diapers and I still don't. But I realize I really must. Even if I have some control, it won't last and I must be ready. So at the very least, I must wear absorbent underwear (pull ups). But I've come to terms that the diapers will always be a necessity. A rather expensive one, but there isn't a damn thing I can do about it. At lease I'm not anxious and stressed as I used to be. 

You situation is much harder to deal with than mine. The one thing that has help is that I'm only urinary incontinent. I was warned it could become fully incontinent but I'm so very fortunate there has been no sign of that. 

My only advice would be to find the best solution to keep your stress low and life manageable.  

• 4 months later...
9 hours ago, Dan3811 said:

I am doubly incontinent and have been for over ten years and I don't even think about it I just change whenever I notice I need to

@sjaeger

I am incontinent BOTH ways, so I decided, because of my Incontinence, Diverticulitis and IBS, as well as my Cerebral Palsy, that I was gonna use Diapers to deal with it.  I went 24/7 in 2020, and I do not regret the decision.  I figure, I want to worry about other things, and NOT whether I make it to the bathroom on time.  With all of my other issues, including the fact that my mobility is getting more difficult, diapers are more convenient for me.  

Acceptance is something that is eventually going to come.  Once you do that, and come to terms with the fact that you NEED diapers, it will be easier for you to deal with.  I think most of the problem you may deal with is the STIGMA that you may deal with because you are an adult wearing diapers, and society frowns on that, unless you are a child, or a disabled individual.

I say the heck with that:  You have a reason to wear, and you should NOT be ashamed or feel guilty:  If you NEED to wear, for medical reasons, or your own peace of mind, or you want to wear, for your own comfort, I say  DO IT - I mean, I had the same issues with the fact that I was worried about issues like this:  Diapers are basically "special underwear that you can pee/poop in" and that is all - You are not alone, and I am sure that there are a lot of other people here that are in the same position.

I join @Dan3811in saying that I don't worry about having to wear or use diapers - If I use it, I change it as needed.  Its OK to "give up" your potty training, and go to diapers - There is nothing shameful about this!

I hope this information helps you!

Best of Luck!

Brian

Edited by ~Brian~
Added Additional Information

I can understand your dilemma.  I was in denial for a very long time of even admitting to needing any type of protection. Since I work full time I'm trying to keep as much control as I can. It seems to be a loosing battle at times. The hydration issue can be a serious problem.  Too little can be hard on the kidneys and bowel. Too much and pee almost non stop and loose bowel. With meds it can be hard to manage. 

I think giving up control is a very personal decision based on your situation.  If your mostly home all the time it may not be an issue.  If you work it can lead to complications. My employer hired me with disabilities and they make accommodations for that. As long as it does not create an undue burden on the employer

When I go to the hospital in pull-ups,  they usually put me in diapers because it's easier for them to manage it. There is no shame if you decide give up control and wear diapers. It's only how you accept it.  Try wearing and using 24/7 for a week at a time just to find out. ? It only took ten years for me to accept I could not ride a motorcycle again. The part that my hands went dead and non functional from vibration didn't seem to help. New meaning for thrill ride.?

• 3 weeks later...

more water and better diapers...   

been 24/7 long enough i  best not stray far from the diaper stash     unless in a megamax.. but  similar injury and giving up control made my  back pain far less frequent   and i am morecactive because of being in protection than not 

• 4 weeks later...

My move into diapers 24/7 was originally prompted by not feeling able to deal well with my continence issues if I wasn't diapered full-time. (Being AB/DL absolutely helped, but I suspect I probably would have made the call either way.) I tend to think that yes, it absolutely is permissible; it's always permissible to do whatever increases comfort.

Deciding to give up the fight and wear and use diapers 24/7 can be a hard decision as we all want to retain our bladder control but the reality is once you start to make it to the bathroom in time  less and less before you have an accident  or your time between the feeling you need to pee to actually peeing grows shorter to the point if your not right by a washroom then wearing at least while out and about is a good idea.

For me the decision to wear and simply use my diaper to manage my bladder issue and when I need to pee was the best decision I made and I have no regrets even though I have lost any remaining control I had over the last 6 years, I am now dealing with increasing bowel accidents and I have accepted this as well as Its out of my control fortunately I still make it to the bathroom most times for bowel movments  but even that is changing.  Ive 6 years to get accustomed to being diapered 24/7 so accepting the fact I may becoming dual IC is easier the second time around :)