LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

The Holy Grail

I'm not sure if this discussion thread belongs here or on the Just Diapers board...but here goes.

Cloth diaper enthusiasts, mostly AB I have to believe, are very lucky. We can find (and wear) diapers and plastic panties just like we did when we were kids. Everything from old school "rubber" panties, Gerber style panties, printed and pastel plastic panties to gauze, birdseye, flannel and terry diapers can be had from any one of a dozen different vendors. Diaper pins, exactly like those my mom used on me when I was little, are everywhere, even the little bunny rabbit, ducky and Disney headed pins!

Disposable diaper lovers are still chasing the Holy Grail... baby diapers in adult sizes. Okay, there are some recent addtitions that come close... Bambino and Classy Comfort. But for all their originality and attempts at duplicating a Pampers or Luvs or Huggies, these diapers still fall a little short (if you are to believe some of the harshest critics in the crowd).

I'm a cloth kinda guy but I do keep and use disposables from time to time for their convenience. I guess my question is... are you disposable types satisfied with recent attempts at duplicating baby diapers for adults or are we still chasing the Holy Grail of Diaperdom?

Mo

First off, I think whatever was used on you as a baby is what you will like as an adult. I was a dispobable baby, so thus I am one now. I have never tried cloth, even though I want to, chances are very slim that I will....

I don't feel that I'm chasing anything... The disposables that I found satisfies me the way that I need to be. But if you follow anything about pampers, or luvs, or huggies of today they certainly are not anything of what they were like many moons ago. If adult diapers were to follow the pampers, luvs, and huggies of today, then they would need to get rid of the plastic covering and go with the more soft material that they use now. Not to mention getting rid of the tapes and make them a velcro tape. I think thats why I like the disp diapers I wear now, because of the white plastic covering, the crinkle sound that reminds me of the diapers I use to use.

You are eaxctly right on all counts Tigger... but I still maintain,based on the amout of space and energy decicated to pushing P&G and other manufacturers to give AB/DLs a great diaper akin to the old style pampers, that the search for the Holy Grail still goes on.

Mo

I was a dispobable baby, so thus I am one now.

Wow you were lucky your parents kept you then, imagine what they could have done if you were naughty... Oh dear don't worry, it's a disposable baby, we just go to the bazaar and get ourselves another one.. :D:P

I use disposable nappies and for only one reason, I can throw them out after they're used, I have no memories of being in nappies as a kid, and I have no wishes to feel like a kid again. True, I'm not a dl or an ab, I am a more plain user for practical reasons. I am happy with the way nappies look today. I would probably start crying, if my next shipment turned out to be baby smelling nappies with vivid colours and other wierd features with no practical purpose.

First off, I think whatever was used on you as a baby is what you will like as an adult.

Actually that's not always the case. There are a number of us here who wore cloth as infants but prefer disposables now. I have cloth diapers but I only wear them when I've run out of disposables. Usually I end up thinking I might as well have not bothered at all because they just don't do it for me - and yet, I never, ever wore a disposable as an infant.

As for the Holy Grail, I'm still waiting for Bambinos to be distributed in Canada so I will know if the ultimate diaper is now in existence. The problem for me is that the diaper companies who made disposables that I really liked and would be happy with for a long time, continually change their products. They get thinner, they put *gasp* cloth-like outer covers on, there's less padding higher up and in the wings ... the list goes on.

I have high hopes for Bambinos but if they don't get enough sales to make it profitable for them, they'll probably stop making them.

I, too, never wore disposables as a child and have little or no memory of cloth and plastic pants. I've seen a picture or two of me and siblings in them but that's about the extent of it.

I've only recently came to even try plastic pants. They are nice but I still like disposables for shear convenience.

I've tried the Bambino and it is a very good diaper. I would buy more except that I'm not wearing lately. I'm not actually looking for a babyish diaper so that aspect doesn't influence me. I'm just looking for excellent absorbency and never a leak.

I kind of agree with Pipsqueak..I am in Attends now because I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing cloth to work...for oh so many reasons...

I love the feel and look of cloth and when I can wear at home, I do prefer layers of thick cloth diapers, but I'm willing to compromise in order to wear at all. I love the feeling of peeing (and pooping when I must) in my diaper - from there, necessity dictates cloth or disposable.

I'm old enough so I was brought up in cloth, but I have no recollections at all. I don't think my love of diapers is a carry-over from childhood as it is for so many here, but I'm not sure from where.

Good secondary question in that...how many of you out there do NOT have the direct carry-over from childhood?

diaperpt

Well, you might be wearing disposables now, but you haven't given up the cloth diapers......so I think what I said is true... and alot of people would agree with me. You use disposables because they are convient, but you haven't given up the cloth diapers because thats what you used when you were a kid...

I don't wear disposables because they're convenient. I wear them because I love them and much prefer them to cloth. Cloth for me is only a backup for the times I feel the need to wear but haven't kept my stock of disposables up, and even then it's a poor imitation and I usually end up deciding to not wear at all until I can get some disposables.

LoL... this is the old cloth-v-disposable argument, and for each of us the preference is our own! LoL

I was a cloth-and-plastic-pants baby, and I do remember one occasion very vividly (aged 2 1/2 I think) where I was firmly put in a terry nappy and pants as a toddler who was dry by day but wet by night. I also remember being put back in a nappy for wetting the bed (I was 5), along with a firm smack. :(

So yes I prefer terry nappies and plastic pants because I have always worn them from childhood. Disposables are convenient, and they have to be plastic backed and very thick to do anything for me. I prefer a disposable nappy to not having one at all!! :)

Simba B)

First off, I think whatever was used on you as a baby is what you will like as an adult. I was a dispobable baby, so thus I am one now. I have never tried cloth, even though I want to, chances are very slim that I will....

I don't feel that I'm chasing anything... The disposables that I found satisfies me the way that I need to be. But if you follow anything about pampers, or luvs, or huggies of today they certainly are not anything of what they were like many moons ago. If adult diapers were to follow the pampers, luvs, and huggies of today, then they would need to get rid of the plastic covering and go with the more soft material that they use now. Not to mention getting rid of the tapes and make them a velcro tape. I think thats why I like the disp diapers I wear now, because of the white plastic covering, the crinkle sound that reminds me of the diapers I use to use.

Actually that is how my Mom got me out of diapers. I was a cloth wearing baby. Mom said when she started making me wear disposables, I started using the toilet. Now, I love nothing better than a thick crinkly disposable between my legs!!

True, I'm not a dl or an ab, I am a more plain user for practical reasons.

Hi, Julie. I know from reading many of your posts that you're incontinent, but I'm surprised to hear you say that you're not a DL or an AB. I have to ask: Why are you here? Why this board instead of any of the boards for the truly incontinent? What is it that this board offers you that the others don't?

Just curious.

-RMS

I gotta go with Tigger on this one. Being a Pampers baby I think,is what led me to put on one of my younger cousin's Pampers back in the day. You guys remember that smell.....The way the diaper crinkled oh so loudly when you unfolded it....The giddyness you felt with one hand holding the back and the other hand holding the front as you pulled it snugly between your legs.....An unmistakable,unforgettable memory for me. As I just posted on another topic a few minutes ago,I really would like to wear cloth just once to feel truly"babyish". But those fond memories of going to Wally World and buying the old style Luvs diapers Size 5 with the dark blue stripes on a soft blue plastic,the same Luvs that were advertised"Up front for boys and in the middle for girls".....*sigh* :wub:

I think really it is not what we wore when we were toddlers that most of us like, I think it is what we envisioned ourselves wearing when we first became interested in wearing diapers again. I don't know if I wore cloth or disposable, but I do remember watching disposable diaper commercials and wanting to be like the kid in the commercial. So i think that is why I am now into disposables as opposed to cloth.

sdb

Hi, Julie. I know from reading many of your posts that you're incontinent, but I'm surprised to hear you say that you're not a DL or an AB. I have to ask: Why are you here? Why this board instead of any of the boards for the truly incontinent? What is it that this board offers you that the others don't?

Just curious.

-RMS

Actually I ended in here first time by a coincident, and for various reasons I didn't leave again shaking my head about those strange pee ple.

Mainly because there are a few funny and interesting pee ple here, - but I can accept if you wouldn't be able to understand that :) .

I can not be dl or ab because I can't understand what drives you and I can not understand how pee ple could actually want to wear nappies just for fun. But that doesn't mean that I don't like the pee ple for that reason, and it doesn't mean that I will not try to understand or atleast pretend to.

Mostly I come for the chat, pee ple in the chat room on this board, is a pretty special species, and they actually don't talk much about nappies for what I have experienced. Some do act like babies, but it's nothing too bad.

I agree that I probably should not reply to most of the posts on the message board since I most often do it only because I think it's fun, and not to provide more information on ways to live out your fantasies in the real life.

But I also often see pee ple present problems as real such problems and I feel in those cases that it's ok for me to reply with my own input on how to deal with those problems although it most often does not include advices about wearing multiple layers of thick nappies even if I know that this sometimes could be what the person actually was fishing for.

But if the general oppinion is that one should be either ab, dl, mommmy, daddy or something in between if they will use this place, I will accept it and let you have your fun alone, I honestly thought it was ok for me too, to be here though.

I am sorry if I should have confused you, I hope you don't mind my alternative lifestyle as a non ab/dl :D

I hope the boards are open to anyone and all equally welcome - AB, DL (or NL in UK), 'Parents', Incontinents, 'curious' or non-wearers alike. For whatever reason anyone is here, the only 'ground rule' as I understand it is respect for others whatever their feelings, orientation, habit, opinion or reason. I have met so many great folks on here, and would hate to lose them......

...or am I wrong?

Simba. B)

Thanks for the response, Julie. Please don't misunderstand me, I am absolutely fine with your being here, and have always thought your posts were among the best and most interesting. I was just interested in what a non-fetishist incontinent person would find interesting on a site like this. I've read many posts from incontinent people who feel a great deal of anger toward people who use diapers for pleasure and find them "fun." I think they feel that we're mocking their disability or something by enjoying something they resent having to use, which I can understand. I can see how they might feel that we're (unintentionally) belittling their problem, but I was interested to see why you felt differently.

Thank you for your explanation, and I hope to hear more from you soon.

-RMS

Just like different people enjoy different things for different reasons also applies to a person's choice in diapers - disposable or cloth. You have DL's, AB's, incontinent people. Some like diapers as a sexual thing, others think of them only as baby play and part of their regression, etc. I was one of those kids raised in cloth diapers and plastic pants that now prefer disposable diapers. I was 6 before I was out of cloth diapers at night and never wore disposables at all until I discovered Pampers when I was about 11 or 12. Why do I prefer disposables over cloth? Many reasons. One reason is I am not able to wash cloth diapers with my current living conditions but even if I was, I believe I would still prefer disposables. I like how they feel on me, the plastic backing, I like how they feel when they are wet, etc. Yes, I do have a couple cloth diapers and several pairs of plastic pants but I still like the disposables better. To me, it in a number of things and even though I like disposables that are good quality, I don't care if they are babyish or not. Functionality, feel, fit and comfort are what matters to me. When we were little and were diapered by our parents we had no choice or say-so in the type of diapers that were used on us. Now that we have that choice, we can try different things and decide for ourselves what we prefer to use and some of us just like disposables over the cloth that we were raised in. Although I believe many adults tend to wear the same kind of diaper that they were raied with, that is not always the case and I believe there are a lot of different factors that enter into what type of diapers people prefer as adults, reguardless of what they wore as little kids.

LoL... this is the old cloth-v-disposable argument, and for each of us the preference is our own! LoL

I was a cloth-and-plastic-pants baby, and I do remember one occasion very vividly (aged 2 1/2 I think) where I was firmly put in a terry nappy and pants as a toddler who was dry by day but wet by night. I also remember being put back in a nappy for wetting the bed (I was 5), along with a firm smack. :(

So yes I prefer terry nappies and plastic pants because I have always worn them from childhood. Disposables are convenient, and they have to be plastic backed and very thick to do anything for me. I prefer a disposable nappy to not having one at all!! :)

Simba B)

Simba...this isn't the old cloth vs. disposable argument (at least that was not my intent). Obviously, the thread relates to cloth and disposables but I had hoped it was more about the search for the perfect diaper. I was making the point that for cloth users the search is short and fruitful. For disposable lovers, the search still continues (unless you count Bambino and Classy Comfort).

Mo

It has been interesting reading this thread, and the other thread about cost differences between cloth and disposables...

I am solely on the cloth side of things, for a few reasons. I am old enough to be a cloth baby, and also was put in cloth diapers at 5 for bed wetting. As a result, when I think of diapers, I think of cloth. I find the bulk and feel of cloth comforting and have never had a problem with leaking at night.

I have only worn diapers in public a few times, since I am a "recreational" diaper wearer and user. As such, I don't need to worry about changing in a public place and carrying a large, bulky, wet diaper in a plastic bag. If so, I would probably wear disposable for convenience.

As far as cost goes, I find it easier on my budget to spend $200-300 every couple of years for new diapers, rather than the expense of buying disposables monthly.

As far as my "holy grail"... It took a bit of searching to find the cloth diaper that I liked the best. Some were shorter than I wanted and I found I did not like the ones with the terry cloth centers. What is my "holy grail" may not be someone elses. But they work for me!

CDL

PS - Juliabam, although I don't post much, yours are the posts I usually read. I'm glad you are here

Simba...this isn't the old cloth vs. disposable argument (at least that was not my intent). Obviously, the thread relates to cloth and disposables but I had hoped it was more about the search for the perfect diaper. I was making the point that for cloth users the search is short and fruitful. For disposable lovers, the search still continues (unless you count Bambino and Classy Comfort).

Mo

I'm not sure how you can speak for those who like to wear disposables and say that the search still continues. Like I have stated before, I'm not searching, if I was then I would be diaper hopping, which I'm not. Infact, there have been many people in the chatroom asking advice about cloth diapers and plastic pants, so the fact that your search has ended, doesn't necessarily mean that theirs has. Like wise for those looking for the best disposables, but to make a statement that cloth search has ended but for disposable lovers the search has continued, is rather ignortant. Please don't speak for the majority of the people, because they don't always agree with you.

Cloth -v- disposables argument does of necessity raise it's head here, Mo, even though you had not intended it! No problem, a good discussion is always welcome.

I do however have to fall behind Tigger here... the 'perfect disposable for everyone' is a myth. It is to do with personal preference, body shape, gender, to name but a couple. You can only speak for yourself. Define 'perfect'.... you can't.

Simple example (best for lions really)... the disposables I wear are either Kendall Lille Supreme maxi or Abena x-plus and are 'perfect' for me when I need one. AAArrrgh I hear others cry - Kendall Lille leak and are the biggest load of rubbish out.... so what to me is the perfect disposable, my 'holy grail', for another it is an example of purgatory!

Nuff sed!

Simba B)

Guest John_Q_Sample

Georgia-Pacific was making those adult vintage-style Pampers wingfold diapers in the early '80s. They were manufactured under the Polivex and KayPlus brandnames. They shared two tapes per side, just like the actual hourglass-shaped briefs. in 1985 Georgia-Pacific has added elastic leg gathers to match the current Pampers range of the time (with the crawling baby drawing stamped on the cardboard box).

Cheers,

pict0023.jpg

These would be my Holy Grail... just the picture has me nutty!

I have high hopes for Bambinos but if they don't get enough sales to make it profitable for them, they'll probably stop making them.

All the reason for those searching for the "Holy Grail" of diapers to support Bambino Diapers if they are in a position to do so, because if Bambino fails, I can almost guarantee that no major national consumer marketing firm is going to pick-up the product at the point where Bambino called it quits.

There's no way the head honchos in the boardroom in Cincinnati at P&G would ever even think about marketing a niche Pampers diaper product if another organization, (such as Bambino), whose main focus of their business was to provide for that niche, ultimately proved that it was an unprofitable endevour. There's no way P&G, Kimberly Clark, and all the other big companies in the diaper business, would want to put big dollars in a marketing effort for adult diapers if a dedicated niche company (whose sole purpose is giving us the diapers we crave) can't get profitable results (sales) from their targeted consumers.

I'd give even odds though, that if Bambino does prove itself to be a winner, (and P&G notices them at all), P&G would, in time, develop the "Holy Grail" of diapers...adult Pampers in all the cute infantile styles.

Since this is the thread on the Holy Grail, one cannot resist to ask - "What is your favorite color?"

Blue…Pink…wait….ahhhhh

Joking aside and from a point of view where practical aspects a.k.a. social continence is "the defining factor" in what to wear. I look to:

1. Discrete – no puff bottom, waddling, or crinkling effects

2. Absorbency – Seeking the 80% solution where a product will contain 80% of accidents

3. Ease of changing – disrobing is not fun in a small stall with “I don’t want to know what I’m stepping in