LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Controlling Urine Odor

I have a question for those who wear premium diapers that they wear for up to 8 or more hours at a time or to bed every night.  How do you deal with the urine smell?  I'm not talking about what you eat that causes your urine to smell strong, like asparagus.  I'm talking for example about going to bed around 10pm, getting up around 6am and having your bedroom smell of urine from your night diaper that you wore.  I gennerally do not wear diapers to bed as I rarely get a good nights sleep when I try, but I've had the house to myself since Tuesday and I have not been out of diapers since I got home from work about 4:30pm Tuesday afternoon.  I've slept in Confidry 24/7 diapers the last 2 nights and during the night and this morning I noticed I could really smell the pee from my wet diaper.  Even now in another room at my computer I can smell the pee from my diaper.  I do drink a lot of water.  I'm just wondering if it's because I have been in the diaper for 7 or 8 hours and the pee is just starting to smell stronger from being in the same diaper for so long.  What do any of you do to try to control the odor from being in the same diaper overnight or all day, besides drinking a lot of water or watching what you eat?  yes, after the fact I can always open the windows or spray the room with Fabreeze, I'm just wondering if there is a way to cut the smell down in the first place instead of having to deal with it afterwards so the bedroom doesn't have an obvious noticeable urine smell from your diaper when you get up in the morning..

I use an internal deodorizer.  Most people think that Nullo pills are simply to help control the smell of feces but trust me it works for the smell of urine as well.  My wife is honestly the one who has the super senses and if I have not been regularly taking my pills she knows immediately by the smell when she changes my diaper.  I take two a day, one in the morning and one in the evening.  It takes about a week of taking the pills regularly before you notice the results.

Should you not want to take a pill a good old pair of old fashioned rubber panties work great for odor containment.

Good rubber panties will do that. My diapers do not even start to smell until about 10 hours. Also, back in the early 1950's and 40's, it went with the territory, you would air out the room and in many of the older houses, one of the rooms did smell, indicating that it had been continuously used as a baby room or the like. All of which I am quite used to. One of the upstairs rooms where I lived for 47 years smelled. It was not makde a big deal of. That and rubber were the smells of the nursery

In bed at night, I'm usually wearing terry-lined vinyl waterproof pants over my night diaper and that "takes the hit".  Similarly during the workday, I wear PUL waterproofs over my nappy for leak insurance.

Still, my used nappy bin was developing an odour so powerful I was worried it would become self-aware and form plots against me.

I found this:

http://www.enzymewizard.com.au/products/urine-stain-odour-remover

This.  Stuff.  Works...  Like seriously...  You can spray it on fabric, hard surfaces, whatever.  It doesn't mask the smell, it chemically busts it down to something neutral.  It takes a few hours to do its party trick.

Oddly, it's Australian but I believe you can buy it in the US.   Nullo is US and I *wish* you could buy it in Australia but it seems not ?

Thanks guys.  I was looking more for ideas for the short term currently worn night diaper.  the idea is when you start out going to bed and put on a fresh diaper, there isn't any pee odor.  By the time you get up in the morning after 7 or 8 hours in a wet diaper, it has a very distinctive pee smell that has permeated the room.  Nullo or deodorant pills won't do because I'm only a now and then overnight diaper wearer and it wouldn't pay for me to keep taking them day after day at that price just for once or maybe twice a month I sleep in a diaper.  Likewise if I had all my used diapers in a diaper bin, I could spray the bin with odor remover, but my diaper is disposable and I bag and toss it in the morning.  Perhaps first spraying the odor remover in my diaper before putting it on for bed might help.  Plastic pants might help too.  I was juts looking to see if others had this problem when they get up in the morning and what they did to either try and prevent it or deal with it afterwards.

It will begin to smell as it gets older, that's just the way that chemistry works.  What supplements are you referring to Mark?  Are they like charcoal or something?  You might have to use plastic pants for odour containment if it's really bothering you.

4 hours ago, Little Christine said:

Good rubber panties will do that. My diapers do not even start to smell until about 10 hours. Also, back in the early 1950's and 40's, it went with the territory, you would air out the room and in many of the older houses, one of the rooms did smell, indicating that it had been continuously used as a baby room or the like. All of which I am quite used to. One of the upstairs rooms where I lived for 47 years smelled. It was not makde a big deal of. That and rubber were the smells of the nursery

Growing up a bed-wetter in the 50’s, especially when the weather was hot I thought my bedroom had more of a rubber sheet smell than pee.  And you’re correct, regardless of the season mom opened windows to air out my room and for that matter the entire house (both parents smoked).

2 hours ago, rusty pins said:

Thanks guys.  I was looking more for ideas for the short term currently worn night diaper.  the idea is when you start out going to bed and put on a fresh diaper, there isn't any pee odor.  By the time you get up in the morning after 7 or 8 hours in a wet diaper, it has a very distinctive pee smell that has permeated the room.  Nullo or deodorant pills won't do because I'm only a now and then overnight diaper wearer and it wouldn't pay for me to keep taking them day after day at that price just for once or maybe twice a month I sleep in a diaper.  Likewise if I had all my used diapers in a diaper bin, I could spray the bin with odor remover, but my diaper is disposable and I bag and toss it in the morning.  Perhaps first spraying the odor remover in my diaper before putting it on for bed might help.  Plastic pants might help too.  I was juts looking to see if others had this problem when they get up in the morning and what they did to either try and prevent it or deal with it afterwards.

I spend 5 maybe 6 hours in a wet M4 most nights.   And in all honesty I can’t detect the slightest smell of pee in the morning which was far from the case when I was using cloth and plastic pants.  Perhaps M4’s have superior odor control.

14 minutes ago, WBxx said:

I spend 5 maybe 6 hours in a wet M4 most nights.   And in all honesty I can’t detect the slightest smell of pee in the morning which was far from the case when I was using cloth and plastic pants.  Perhaps M4’s have superior odor control.

My experience is similar - I haven't tired M4's but I wear a disposable of some description to bed every night, rotating through a bunch of different brands, from cheap Tena's and Depend's to premium products from Bambino and Rearz, and I've never really noticed a smell in the room. Only on the rare occasions when I wear a cloth diaper for several hours do I notice a distinct, light pee smell lingering about. The trash can in the garage is another story...

Tena's do have an odour control element to them and i have never noticed a pee smell in the morning.

If your not drinking enough water every day ( to the point that your pee is almost colourles ) then it will smell more.

Maly.

Unless I’m dehydrated or have had caffeine I don’t typically have issues with an overly smelly wet diaper in the morning.  I can smell it if I put my head under the sheets but the room isn’t typically overpowered by it. I live alone so it’s not an issue one way or another for me. I also keep a fan running to circulate air in the room. Some diapers are also better at keeping odors down. Goodnites are probably the worst for odor control. 

I use disposable and some of the cheap ones don't do as well. I do have to use the chap ones most of the time.  I don't think you can get rid of the smell  like asparagus, some foods have strong smell, you would have to find out what foods are a no no. I do like to have a good baby diaper as the part touching my personal portion ? I do think that Huggies has good odor control 

I wear till soaked. I do also add baby powder, and sometimes diaper rash cream, when I haven't had enough water. 

But I don't have much problem with smells. I also think we get used to it, and our nose will not even notice it if we wear 24/7. My wife will say once and a while she smells my pee. and I don't smell it.

I don't seem to have much of a problem with this.  Mind you I always wipe myself with a damp flannel at every change, which probably helps, and I don't drink coffee.  I drink a lot of tea, but that doesn't seem to cause a problem.  As others have mentioned coffee more than once, I think it's more likely to be the other constituents of coffee rather than the caffeine - after all there's caffeine in tea as well, although not as much.  Anyway, Mummy's never mentioned the smell from my nappies at all.  I'm usually in cloth nappies, and always in plastic pants, with a good seal around legs and waist, so all that must help too.  I don't use powder at all.