LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Well....That Sucks

For a guy who wears cloth diapers exclusively, being notified by the guy who's done all my small appliance repair for years that my dryer is finally toast, fried, done for, and kaput is a real bummer. Guess this is motivation to try disposables for the short term.

And I don't particularly want to go hang my freshly laundered diapers out on the clothes line particularly on a rather cold, and snowy day.

Fortunately, dryers are not as expensive to replace as a lot of other appliances.  True, if you are short on money and are kind of living hand to mouth at the moment, any expense is hard to deal with.  Again, if your dryer gets a lot of usage (such as daily drying of heavy adult cloth diapers), you don't want the cheapest thing out there.  On the other hand, you don't need to get the most expensive either.  A suggestion.  Try Lowes if you have one near you.  If you know anyone who is in the military or ex-military, Lowes will give a 10% discount to those people.  Also ask for a floor display model or any item that might be discounted due to damage.  We got a new Whirlpool freezer 3 years ago for about $400 because it had a dent in the back.  It was a small dent on one end and no one could see it anyway.  It was also the largest freezer they made and we had to put it in the garage because it wouldn't fit down the basement stairs.  With the discount for the dent as well as my dad's 10% military discount, we got a great deal!  It never hurts to ask for discounts for damage or floor models.  I also think the last clothes dryer we bought a few years ago was about $235.  Just a plain front loading white Whirlpool dryer.

For many years all I had was a folding clothes drying rack that I hung a small fan onto one side. Regular clothes took about 12-24 hours to dry and 6X2 diaper squares of Birdseye took 36-48 hours to dry. Without the fan times doubled. Drying went a lot faster when I put the rack over a forced-air home heating vent (which I don't have now). The little box fan was cheap, and cost almost nothing in power. Now I have a real electric dryer and it adds about 15% to my power bill :rolleyes: The same diapers take about 1 1/2 hours to dry in it. It's nice having a dryer but I can do without B)

Bettypooh

There's always washing at home, then running down to the laundromat to use their dryers. I've had to do that a time or two before when my dryer broke. Not pleasant, but it'll do in a pinch. Though as I've learned the hard way, check the machines out to make sure there's no funky residue left that will ruin your clothes/sheets/etc. 

On 2/24/2019 at 11:44 AM, Cute_Kitten said:

There's always washing at home, then running down to the laundromat to use their dryers. I've had to do that a time or two before when my dryer broke. Not pleasant, but it'll do in a pinch. Though as I've learned the hard way, check the machines out to make sure there's no funky residue left that will ruin your clothes/sheets/etc. 

Most of the laundromat's here won't let you dry clothes there which you washed elsewhere. Sometimes it's just signs on the wall, sometimes an attendant on duty, sometimes cameras monitoring and someone dropping in asking you to leave :huh: Their excuse is always that they want to be sure dryers are available to customers who use their washers, which makes sense when the place is busy but sometimes it ain't and you'll get asked to leave anyway. Some folks are as... well they just ain't nice :bash: 

Bettypooh

9 hours ago, Bettypooh said:

Most of the laundromat's here won't let you dry clothes there which you washed elsewhere. Sometimes it's just signs on the wall, sometimes an attendant on duty, sometimes cameras monitoring and someone dropping in asking you to leave :huh: Their excuse is always that they want to be sure dryers are available to customers who use their washers, which makes sense when the place is busy but sometimes it ain't and you'll get asked to leave anyway. Some folks are as... well they just ain't nice :bash: 

Bettypooh

I suppose it varies by location- around where I'm at, I'm not the only one whose brought in wet things that need dried.  Heck, that's how I got the idea- was at the laundromat when a lady came in with wet clothes and popped them in the dryer.  Our laundromats aren't the best-tended, either.  Which kinda sucks because it's not uncommon for the vending machines to be out- on the rare times I"ve had to use them, I've learned to take extra soap/ dryer sheets because of mooching strangers. And if a machine breaks, don't hold your breath waiting for it to get fixed.  I've never heard of a laundromat attendant. ? That's a new one on me.  One of the newer laundromats used to have a security camera, but it's been ripped down for a few years now. 

I use a folding airer and a large desk fan on the highest setting pointing up from the floor towards the loaded airer, even towels dry within about 8 hours.

much cheaper than a tumble dryer!

Maly.