LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

New to diapers

newdiapered

I had a surgical procedure and long story short my bladder was damaged. I have had 2 more surgeries to fix the damage.   I have had a Foley catheter for the last 8 months. My Dr said it’s time to try retaining my bladder.   I am having a difficult time sleeping in a diaper.  I wake up every time I wet.  Any tips that do not include medications.  I will not take sleeping pills. 

Perhaps you could cover you legs? I'm not sure what's waking you up and never had that kind of experience, but perhaps if you were to isolate your legs a bit (like covering with some kind of cloth) you wouldn't feel yourself get wet in that area and wouldn't wake up?

What brand/type of diaper do you use at night?  With a really good diaper, you can barely tell when it is moderately wet, which may help with the waking up part.  Anything that the hospital gave you or that you can buy at a big retail store is probably not up to the job.  As far as getting used to sleeping in one, that just takes time.

Some great overnight brands are:

BetterDry
ConfiDry 24/7
Northshore Supreme
Rearz Inspire + InControl

agreed premium diapers will help as you feel dryer quicker then cheaper diapers, night time accidents are the hardest to retrain your bladder as far as waking up every time you wet could be caused by a number of things.

you wake up due to feeling wet in your diaper 

your subconscious knows you need to pee and is waking you up so you can run to the bathroom but your bladder is releasing as soon as you start to wake up but does not give you time to fully wake up and make it to the bathroom.

sleeping in a diaper takes a while to get use to but you will get use to the bulk feeling and stop noticing your diaper. it took me a while at first but now I no longer notice how thick my diaper is. When you have to deal with incontinence issues its amazing what you can-get  use to once you accept the need for diapers even if its short term as hopefully your need is.

you could set s few alarms to wake you juring the night so you can go pee before you use your diaper but the lack of sleep is not worth it get your self some premium diapers you can trust and a few good  reusable bed pads as well as a full matress protector. once you have proper protection inplace and you trust your diaper to do its job you may find you sleep through the night one you get  use to wearing diapers.

unfortunately with any incontinence issues caused by surgery even when the doctors feel they have fixed the damage it may not be 100% repaired and you may be dealing diapers longer then you would like.  talk to your urologist and incontinence nurse they may have some suggestions but may simply push meds to help slow down the bladder issues but they can cause more serious healh issues and do not work 100% of the time.

good luck and hopefully you are out of diapers quickly  

What is it that makes you uncomfortable sleeping in a diaper?  That would be my first question if you even know yourself.  Even though I wet the bed as a kid until almost 6 years old and wore cloth diapers and plastic pants to bed every night, I can't fall asleep either if I try to wear a diaper to bed.  Things to consider.  Is it the feeling of the diaper you are wearing, the bulk or even the wetness of it that is uncomfortable or a bother?  That would be physical sensations disturbing you, and I can relate as over the past 50+ years I have got used to sleeping without a diaper on and to me underpants instead of a bulky diaper is just normal for me.  As we start to drift off into sleep, our mind does weird things and just the fact we have a diaper on makes a difference, no matter how much we try and ignore it on a conscious level.

Is it a mental thing perhaps?  The fact that you know it's a diaper you are wearing, you do not like the idea of wearing diapers, diapers are for old people or for babies, others may find out and laugh at you, you feel embaressed wearing them, you feel less like a man because you wear diapers, it's humiliating, etc.  That can be very hard to overcome in your mind.

I don't know if this is possible or not, but have you tried to wear a condom catheter and urine collection tank at night instead of a diaper?  Lots of people do, but it all depends on how much you toss and turn in your sleep.  You have to make sure that the sheath is very secure and won't come off, the tube is long enough not to tangle or come off, but that might be an answer to your night time sleeping problems as you retrain your bladder.  By the way, how is that going so far?  As far as your incontinence due to the surgeries, do you pee mall amounts every few minutes or is it something where your bladder gets to a point and just suddenly releases all at once, maybe every 2 hours or so?  If the latter and you are working on getting that control back so you know you have to pee but will be able to hold it to go to the bathroom, maybe typical bedwetting practices would work.  Day time you are awake and I would suspect the retraining can be easier, but at night trying to sleep?  Set an alarm clock to wake you up every 2 hours so you can go and pee.  Sleep on an absorbent bed pad so if you do wet before the alarm clock goes off to wake you, the mattress won't get ruined.  I wish you the best of luck so you can be continent and diaper free. 

I am wearing Abena. I am not used to feeling the thinkness and the wetness.  I know I just have to get used to it.  I am using a pull up during the day so I stay on my prescribed voiding schedule (which I’m not having much success with) I was so used to the Foley that this is very uncomfortable.