LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

What are the pros and cons or a cloth-backed and plastic-backed diaper

I like cloth backed because theyre more like baby diapers, theyre softer, they dont tear as easy as most plastic backed diapers because theyre stronger than just a thin layer of plastic, usually have removable tapes, and mostly quieter

Cloth backed are more comfy in the summer heat. Some complain of chaffing from them. I never had that issue. One bad point is they can wick urine out of the diaper. The plastic you don't have that. I also find the plastic better for at night.

Like a lot of DLs I appreciate the aesthetic qualities of plastic-backed diapers, particularly something like a Super Dry Kids from ABU. But for practicality I prefer cloth-backed. For one thing there's less noise, but the most important difference is Velcro-like refastenable tapes. You can use the same (expensive, premium) diaper all day, swapping out liners, such as baby diapers, or doublers; and if you sometimes do like to use the toilet, say to poop, you can undo and redo the diaper as much as you like.

I've found a good, premium plastic diaper is better for when you're active during the day. They tend to stay snug and well fitting even as they get soaked (though cheap and mid-grade ones don't). It's also easier to change a plastic diaper (and toss it in the trash) than it is trying to carry around and conceal a used wet cloth one.

In addition, they stretch more than the plastic backed ones and so don't maintain their fit. It's a good thing they can be refastened because you have to do it regularly to keep them from sliding down.

I prefer plastic backed, the cloth ones all seem to have the same problem of wicking pee through them and you end up having to wear plastic pants to stop smell and wetness, that kinda goes against the point of having a cloth backing. I would say though on extremely hot days the fabric sides are a godsend. I use Tena maxi which are a great diaper but when I've had to work outside I have to switch to molicare super which offers some relief form sweaty thighs.

I think it depends on the diaper when it comes to how the back layer works. Abena's Premium line (formerly air-plus) I think isn't just a cloth-like coating over plastic, I think they're legitimately breathable which is why they also wick out moisture and odor worse than say… the cloth-backed Delta-Forms which are not breathable. I think the best solution to the breathable aspect is the hybrid kind like the Molicare Supers that have the plastic backed center section and the cloth wings.

I had a box of abena m4 medium and still have some left. When I wore them I put a pair of Gary pants over the top and I couldn't believe how much moisture was on the inside of the pants. I mean your clothes would be damp and smelly. What's the point in a diaper if your clothes still get wet?

I know many rate the m4 but for me it's naff. No elastic in the waist, damp outside, poor tapes.

Hey just to correct one point made above... some cloth-like diapers have tapes that work like Velcro and can be refastened many times as described above, but some don't.

with the abena M4 I've had the dis-pleasure of using when you fasten the tapes to get a close fit, as they don't have elasticated waist, the tapes just ripped off, not even pulling them hard. They also seem to smell funny when wet unlike the Tena or molicare product. Cloth is great for those time when you put one on and then 5 mins later need a poo and you can re-fasten, but I'd rather chuck away a plastic backed or use duct tape than deal with the seeping issues the cloth backed ones have..