LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

God I Despise Belkin

Mischa

So yesterday, my WiFi router stopped connecting, saying my IP address was shared by another computer. After spending an hour and a half trying to fix it myself, I called Belkin Support and after 45 minutes of telling the IT guy from Techsupportistan that the same steps he was trying to coach me through didn't work the last time I called in with the same answer, I hung up and am temporarily using my XBox 360 hardwire to connect my laptop to the computer.

When this thing goes, what router brand should I get next? I've tried 2Wire and those sucked, any ideas?

As far as consumer routers go... your best name brand right now would be Netgear. I'm running a Netgear WNR3500L with tomato firmware and it runs like a dream. If you have to go with a different manufacturer... you could settle for Linksys, but I wouldn't touch any other brands, the rest are all garbage.

So yesterday, my WiFi router stopped connecting, saying my IP address was shared by another computer. After spending an hour and a half trying to fix it myself, I called Belkin Support and after 45 minutes of telling the IT guy from Techsupportistan that the same steps he was trying to coach me through didn't work the last time I called in with the same answer, I hung up and am temporarily using my XBox 360 hardwire to connect my laptop to the computer.

When this thing goes, what router brand should I get next? I've tried 2Wire and those sucked, any ideas?

I had a Belkin too and it sucked. I now have the AT&T U-Verse service so they maintain my wireless stuff now.

I had a 2Wire router through UVerse, was on the phone with them so much they knew almost everything about me except my diaper size....

Linksys would be your best bet. Specifically, Linksys WRT160N with DD-WRT custom firmware.

I used to run that but AT&t has their own 2Wire in here, which as far as internet goes is working, though it is a tad slow.

Huh... I didn't even know this crap was a DSL but that would explain a lot!! No wonder my download speed went from 2M+ to moving here and 300K. And the damn TV is always going out and freezing up. Hope i can talk her into going back to our old cable company...Worst thing is the actual services we are getting is more than before and it was perfect.

I've had my Linksys WRT54G for about 6 years. Still going strong... I hope this doesn't jinks me :)

This. I've had mine for ages. Before, I was using a Belkin job I got from Freecycle but the damn thing used to crap out so often and to such an extent that a full factory reset was required. I felt like I spent half my life setting up the network again. Bought a WRT54G and haven't looked back. They're not exactly what you'd call discrete though :lol:

Put your DSL modem in bridge/pass through mode, let the router handle your PPPoE connection (what your modem normally does) and you'll be set for years...

Put your DSL modem in bridge/pass through mode, let the router handle your PPPoE connection (what your modem normally does) and you'll be set for years...

Hi Auntie, Sorry for being ignorant... I'm not sure what all this means... I have a comcast cable account. What would be the benefits for setting it up this way?

Thanks,

CDL

From my understanding, Netgear has the best signal strength whereas Linksys is the most reliable. A Netgear router would be necessary if the signal were required to pierce through floors like in a two story house.

They are both pretty good though, I just hate the low reception from a Linksys router. Whatever you choose, don't buy the cheapest router at what ever store you are shopping at. You will regret it.

Huh... I didn't even know this crap was a DSL but that would explain a lot!! No wonder my download speed went from 2M+ to moving here and 300K. And the damn TV is always going out and freezing up. Hope i can talk her into going back to our old cable company...Worst thing is the actual services we are getting is more than before and it was perfect.

Cable is your best bet, really. AT&T's Internet service are generally considered to be poor.

Hi Auntie, Sorry for being ignorant... I'm not sure what all this means... I have a comcast cable account. What would be the benefits for setting it up this way?

The specifics will be different on cable (PPPoE is a DSL thing) but it means that all your modem does is pass the signal on your router which lets your router handle all the stuff your cable modem normally does. Simplistically, it keeps all the configuration and stuff in one place rather than being split between the router and the modem. I have no idea if it's possible with a cable setup generally or Comcast specifically but it's the preferable way to set up routers behind home internet modems. That said, if your current set up works OK, don't mess with it :P More hassle than it's worth :lol:

More technically speaking, using pass-through/bridge mode (they tend to call it different things) can also avoid the nightmare that is double NAT (you probably don't need to worry about that...)

We have an airport now... which i have used a windows pc with and it worked great..

I've used netgear and linksys prior... i think i prefered netgear over linksys... but its been like 6 years since i've used either of those.......

That said, if your current set up works OK, don't mess with it :P More hassle than it's worth :lol:

As I was reading more about all this, you ended up expressing my thoughts exactly :)

Thank you for the further explanation.

CDL