LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Are We Witnessing The End Of The 'American Empire'?

This might be too heavy for a diaper forum but I think the majority here are intelligent individuals....

So...first off I have to add that I do not...I repeat..DO NOT want to see the US go through a severe financial crisis. However I think both of our countries seem to be heading down the path towards financial ruin. Our spend first pay later mentality seems to be really catching up with us here....

Could we be witnessing the decline of the American Empire much the same way that the British Empire went into decline after 1914?

What I think needs to happen on both sides of the border is we need to reign in military expenditures and figure out a way to manufacture decent goods again. I firmly believe that North America could be totally self-sufficient and we could produce everything we need within our borders without having to rely on foreign interests. It sounds cruel but the US needs to stop being the World Police and worry more about themselves.....kinda a 'take care of your own' way of thinking... Selfish? Maybe but why should we all be taken down with the rest of the planet?

Wow...that even sounds harsh to me and I said it!

Thoughs and opinions?

I got to say the statement "end of the American empire" is more of a pop culture term.

In fact I'd say we are witnessing the end of western dominance in economic terms. The Eurpoean and then North American society (which is extension of European cultural/economic sphere) is loosing it's relative power in respect to other regions (notably Asia). But their dominance is not over yet.

I believe that while the US has lacked 'great' leadership for the past few decades the problem is in congress. MOST congressmen can't find their buttox while sitting on their hands or lack enough calcium in their spines to make a humming bird egg.

The answer is clear to me. Stop spending, reduce regulations by 50+%, and reform or eliminate entitlements. If the Constitution does not expressly require it of the central government then don't do it, forget about reading into it more than there is.

Just because congresses in the past refused to be responsible by passing the buck is no reason to continue.

No I am not a member of a political party, or the Tea Party movement. I am just a PROUD AMERICAN who who by hard work and sacrifice is now retired and living the American dream debt free.

Enough of the soap box stuff. STAY HAPPY, DIAPERED, AND WET.

I think it is the end of the American empire and about time too ! America needs to reassess what it's priorities are and stop trying to be the world police force. If in America you had the same hardships that we do in the UK you would have been on the streets rioting by now, to give you an example our fuel prices here are astronomical petrol is now

This might be too heavy for a diaper forum but I think the majority here are intelligent individuals....

So...first off I have to add that I do not...I repeat..DO NOT want to see the US go through a severe financial crisis. However I think both of our countries seem to be heading down the path towards financial ruin. Our spend first pay later mentality seems to be really catching up with us here....

Could we be witnessing the decline of the American Empire much the same way that the British Empire went into decline after 1914?

What I think needs to happen on both sides of the border is we need to reign in military expenditures and figure out a way to manufacture decent goods again. I firmly believe that North America could be totally self-sufficient and we could produce everything we need within our borders without having to rely on foreign interests. It sounds cruel but the US needs to stop being the World Police and worry more about themselves.....kinda a 'take care of your own' way of thinking... Selfish? Maybe but why should we all be taken down with the rest of the planet?

Well, we cant. In actuality, we are not the World Police, we are just protecting our assets. There is a reason why we have not gone to Syria yet, or ignored Darfur. There are also major differences between the old British Empire and the U.S. We do not have territories everywhere for one.

What we can do is easily trim 1 trillion off the defense budget without comprising our security. We could reform social security so those who already have too much money do not receive its benefits. We could also raise the retirement age. There are also many other obvious things that can be done.

There are also many other obvious things that can be done.

Indeed.

Let's start with equal taxation- we are the only country who does NOT tax corporations ("job creators" if you are TP) and if those corporations don't like it, they can leave. No other country will give them such a tax break, while protecting their assets with armed forces and their IP with an antiquated patent system. The entitlement system for corporations is just way wrong IMO.

Then we should halt all military contracts to companies who have left the US. Yes, that includes Haliburton.

Speaking of military, lets bring our boys to home. The GOP's method of improving the economy by taking all those employees out of the job pool and shipping them off to be killed in a country we can't even pronounce is crap. If the Muslims don't want us in their world- LEAVE. Let them kill each other- it is their right. Get our boys and girls outta there, and stop wasting all that money. Did you know that with the money Bush spent on two middle east wars we could have sent an entire generation of US kids to college?

If you really want to return to a government of the people, get rid of lobbyists. All of them- Detroit, Microsoft, Big Oil, Big Medicine and yes, the NRA as well. Now I know that will never happen- they have more attorneys at their disposal than you could imagine. So instead, let's just limit their spending to the discretionary income of the average American household. That would put us all on a level playing field, and insure true "freedom of speech".

Yes, the status of the US has declined in the world over the last 20 years, and it continues to fall at an ever increasing rate. China owns our finances, African churches are sending missionaries here, and Korea has exploded in manufacturing excellence. What influence do we have left in the world? The only thing left for us now is our military presence, and we are going broke trying to keep that running.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

Any country..Canada included...needs a strong manufacturing base to remain sovereign IMO. Corporations need to be owned by American and Canadian nationals...people who have a vested interest in keeping their home countries strong. While I have no doubt that the Chinese want the American economy to remain strong I also believe they are more than interested in taking over as the worlds foremost super-power. That would be an unmitigated disaster!

A strong and wealthy middle class is the backbone of any great industrialized nation.

That said...as a nation prospers, it is almost impossible to accomplish. We want our goods to be durable and cheap. We all know that we can make high quality goods but we could never afford the prices. if you think 50 to 100 dollars for a pair of running shoes is expensive...think about how much they would cost if built in the US at an American factory by American workers...

I'm not slagging on the blue collar guys and gals either...but when a home costs somewhere north of 500 grand and new vehicles can set you back 30-40-or even 50 large....you NEED to make a decent wage just to cover the costs of every day living.....

America is not an empire. It is a republic.

All political parties have overspent. When looking at spending, referenced to time, Obama is the worst offender.

As for the credit downgrade, we had it comming. Immagine yourself applying for credit and you have been borrowing 42 cents on every dollar earned. No financial institution would ever consider loaning you money. Why should the government be different?

As and American taxpayer, I am buying everything from powered wheel chairs for lard asses to penis enlargers. It has to stop somewhere.

As a person with compassion, I have no problem helping those in great need. It makes me mad when I see a 600 pound female at the grocer's, on a government provided powered rider and paying for groceries with government food debit card! If you watch late night television, you will see Medicare approved penis enlargers. If you want a penis enlarger, buy your own penis enlarger!