LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Friggin Shoot Me!

Okay last night into today has been complete hell. All week the cat has been showing signs of ill health and I woke up to him puking on my computer, thankfully he missed; as well as him puking on the floor. I get a phone call last night from the roommate that he wasn't moving and hardly breathing. Two hours later I get another frantic phone call that the damn hot water heater busted and flooded the room. I leave work early, buy a shopvac and speed home to clean that up so the landlord can come take a look and either fix or replace. To top that off the cat died last night at about 1:45am. I can't get the landlord on the phone, I have no hgot water, a roommate who doesn't know her cat is dead yet and a gigantic mess since we had to clear the room to clean it. Today is like a giant country song!!! I have called the landlord at least six times this morning and twice last night. I can't get hold of him however if the rent is a day late he suddenly has all the time in the world. I HATE THIS STATE I LIVE IN!!!!

The only thing I coukld do this morning is just blast "Freaky Friday" by Aqua while trying to clean the kitchen before/if the landlord shows up.

See it this way: If you have a really bad day in the future, you can think back and say: 'Yep, been there, done it, survived. Next please!' As Nietsche* said: 'If it doesn't kill you, it'll harden you.'

Or: 'This, too, shall pass.'

Nevertheless, I hope things get better for you! Good Luck!

* I believe it was him, do correct me...

An alternate Idea might be just buy a new water heater and have it installed. keep all receipts, take pictures of everything and deduct the cost of the water heater from the rent when he does stop by. This is far and legal, and if he doesn't like it, then he needs to be more responsive to his tenants. I have rental property also and thats basically how things are handled. Repairs are paid from rent and we get the balance, just as long as it doesn't happen "ALL" the time. :badmood: this way repair concerns are taken care of in a timely manner and everyone is happy.

If you have the funds to do it, go for it. Document everything with photos and receipts and pay him the difference.

If he's a hard ass about it, then you might want to think about finding another place to live :P

My rule of rental property is "if you take good care of your tenants, they will take care of you"

If you don't, they wont either.

good luck

Isn't having water a health issue, I'm sure you can have the water heater installed and deduct it from the rent, if you have renters insurance the clean up and loss of you stuff can be claimed.

I'm very sorry about your kitty, I know how you feel on that one.

If you were closer I would come and help you install the water heater, and give you a hand cleaning up.

I've tried calling the landlord like ten times today. I've left two voice mails, both rather polite. We haven't paid him yet so I'm ready to withold the check till it is fixed.

Do it! What a dick. At least return one of the damn calls even if you can't fix it right now. He should also have a 24/7 emergency number too that someone will answer!!!!

I've tried calling the landlord like ten times today. I've left two voice mails, both rather polite. We haven't paid him yet so I'm ready to withold the check till it is fixed.

Be careful if you do that because the laws may vary state to state, but in my state(I am a landlord myself), if the rent is due on a specific day, and they give a grace period(usually 4-5 days), if the rent is not paid, they can tack on additional fee's, and if the water heater broke today, not paying the rent until its fixed will not negate you from those late fee's since its 4 days past the date rent was due.

I do think its uncalled for that the landlord has yet to return your calls over the water heater though. The thing to do in your case would be to pay the rent for the month, but then ask for a credit for the time you have been without the water turned on(in other words, go to a friends house or hotel) and more than likely the landlord will work with you then.

I am going to the real-estate office he uses to rent out the property tomorrow. I think he is out of the country and they will ahve to accomodate something. I can't afford to pay for a heater and hire someone to install it. I shaved my head today just to make the morning shower a tad easier and less hypothermic.

I am going to the real-estate office he uses to rent out the property tomorrow. I think he is out of the country and they will ahve to accomodate something. I can't afford to pay for a heater and hire someone to install it. I shaved my head today just to make the morning shower a tad easier and less hypothermic.

hmm thats screwed up if he left on a vacation and didnt leave someone to take over while gone

If it is a gas water heater turn the gas off to it; If it is electric turn the Breaker off for it. There should be a cut-off valve on both the water lines going to it turn them off too. Then you can turn the water back on for the rest of the house. I learned to fill the tub up at least halfway before I had to work on the water lines. First time I turned the water off & had everything apart 1-2 kids had to go "potty". After that I was ready with a half full tub & a pail. :crybaby:

At least it broke during the summer. Mine went out during the winter, and I was out of water for a few days, because it was too icy for anyone to try to get into town to get a new one... Or anyone in town to deliver one... Fortunately, we're handy enough to replace a water heater, ourselves. But having the water off also resulted in the sewer line freezing and backing up into the tub for a few days.