LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Close To Incontinence With A Catheter

Brian while I'm sure you have more experience at this than me. I have read some stories where the balloon would not deflate. The solution was to inflate until it burst. I don't honestly know it there is any truth to all this?

I can speak from experience many many years ago from nursing. Had an older gentleman who I needed to remove his cath and place a larger one in. I deflated the balloon but it would still not come out so called the doctor and he came in to help me. What he told me to do was get some either fill the balloon with 5cc then give it five minutes and it will come right out and guess what it did.

Was told by the doctor when a person has a cath in for longer periods of time some people will develop scar like tissue and aheard to the balloon. So by using either it melted the balloon and was easily removable.

Word of caution don't breathe the vapors :)

On 12/24/2015 at 7:20 PM, Loveable_guy said:

Brian while I'm sure you have more experience at this than me. I have read some stories where the balloon would not deflate. The solution was to inflate until it burst. I don't honestly know it there is any truth to all this?

That must have been because of a blockage in the fill line then, which is odd because they were still able to fill the balloon any ways. If you can fill it up, then why wouldn't it empty?

Rubber can swell inside of tubing, not releasing all the pressure behind it when it does. I don't know how common this is with caths, but it is known to sometimes happen with flexible lines in hydraulics and hydraulic brake systems. The operating pressure is powerful enough to get past the swollen part, but when the pressure is released is does not drop back to zero (or the minimum design pressure) so it can be a tough diagnosis if you haven't run across it before; everything is in spec and seems to work correctly except that it won't fully release until mechanically forced to do that. My guess is that the ether mentioned by "twospirit" softened the cath and thus reduced the blockage enough to allow it to release pressure fully.

Bettypooh

11 hours ago, Bettypooh said:

Rubber can swell inside of tubing, not releasing all the pressure behind it when it does. I don't know how common this is with caths, but it is known to sometimes happen with flexible lines in hydraulics and hydraulic brake systems. The operating pressure is powerful enough to get past the swollen part, but when the pressure is released is does not drop back to zero (or the minimum design pressure) so it can be a tough diagnosis if you haven't run across it before; everything is in spec and seems to work correctly except that it won't fully release until mechanically forced to do that. My guess is that the ether mentioned by "twospirit" softened the cath and thus reduced the blockage enough to allow it to release pressure fully.

Bettypooh

That's good insight. Maybe that is what was happening which required them to over inflate the cath to make it pop. I did have some rather extensive use of catheters before though, and never had that problem. It must be a rare occurrence.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From what I have read the bladder does stretch to capacity and over time it can become larger, if you did it for a long time it may reduce in size leading to needing to urinate more often. Not sure about weakening but like all muscles they need exercise to prevent atrophy.

I tried a silicone FR18 a couple of weeks ago and ended up with some light bleeding so I have gone back to FR14. Did not have much luck with the extra holes the 2nd time around just can't get a good flow coming out. Trying a FR14 hooked up to a 2lt bed bag for something different tonight :)

Sorry if this is a little of topic but I had a horrible experience while using a catheter a few nights ago. When inserting a cath I always find it is somewhat painful. I thought It would be a good idea to try some 'active' lubricant designed to reduce the pain. Its called Optilube active... Well, yesterday I tried using it, it burned quite a bit when inserting into the urethra, in fact so much that I completely stopped. But this wasn't the worst part, For the next two days every-time I went to the toilet to pass urine, I had the most excruciating pain you can imagine and not the UTI burning pain, I mean hit you like a ton of bricks pain! Thankfully it has gotten much better.

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience?

The ingredients of the lube were: Composition (in each 100g) Lidocaine Hydrochloride 2.000g, Chlorhexidine Gluconate 0.250g, Methyl Hydroxybenzoate 0.060g, Propyl Hydroxybenzoate 0.025g, Hydroxethylcellulose, Propylene Glycol and Purified Water.

Does anyone recommend something better, perhaps over time the discomfort will lessen as at the moment i use catheters quite sparingly.

Fluff_n_tough - That sounds like a sensitivity to one or more of the ingredients to me. Unless you traumatized the urethra during insertion. I did that once as a teen, trying to insert something that shouldn't have been inserted. Intense pain and a bit of blood every time I peed for a few days. It was terrible.

I tried instillagel which is an anaesthetic and to be honest it didn't feel much different and tends to all ooze out again rather than going far down. I used Optilube and it worked fine, any lubricant seems to but it is very important to remember you should be using single use sachets of it not a tube as you are risking cross contamination. It is only sterile from first opening.

The one good thing about Instillagel is it is an antiseptic as well so best suited for longer sessions as it aint cheap either.

The chance of an infection relates more toward how clean and sterile the insertion was, not from any physical damage you may have had with the insertion. If it's just physical damage you'll heal with no infection so I wouldn't worry unless you notice something else happening.

Bettypooh