LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Catheters?

Is their a risk of incontinence after long term catheter use?

Absolutely, but it would probably take a few months before most people would even start becoming truly incontinent after using catheters. The longer you use them the smaller your bladder will shrink and the weaker your external sphincter will become. You would have to use them 24/7 without any "breaks" from them in order to get incontinent though. Even a few hours each week without catheters could be enough to keep your muscles working and set you back, which would defeat the purpose.

Baby Tara If you go to www..sportaid.com you can buy Foley Caths and also caths with "kits sterile gloves lube cleaner drapes syringe full of sterile water etc all packaged with the cath of your choice also Foleys for women are shorter than Foleys for men so make sure you get the shorter lenth Foley

sportaid also does not require prescriions to purchase Folets,whereas alot of other places follow the letter of the law and require them.

Peace

Is their a risk of incontinence after long term catheter use?

I used an intermittent self-catheter. The sphincter got a bit irritated, and it was 5-6 hours before I regained control. So there's a definite risk of that...but Dr's do prescribe foleys to allow bladders to heal when oversized prostates have been blocking the outlet.

• 3 weeks later...

I have used catheters for several days at a time. For me they are uncomfortable plus I had the displeasure of getting a major bladder infection. I didnt know what it was, I had a high fever and just basically felt like :censored:, the doctor gave me some meds that made me pee orange for about a week - which cleared the infection up. I strongly suggest using every bit of caution possible.

i have also been wanting to try this and yes i too know the risks and my wife is in school to be a nurse and i wasnt going to try it untill she has had plenty of practice with this. but my question is this, how do you determine what size you need and does anyone know if you need a rx in IL

You start by educating yourself. The sizing question is pretty simple - go learn howt the 'french' unit system works. most sources suggest that the average adult should be cath'd with a 14 -16 FR. Go read up on anatomy of the urinary system, you need to understand how it works, what the effects are etc more than just the fantasy of no bladder control.

With respect to anyone who says 'oh I've left it draining into my diaper with no problem, while that may be your experience - thats like saying "I havnt died from playing russian roulette" the key word is : YET

As for if you need a rx in IL - google.

With respect to anyone who says 'oh I've left it draining into my diaper with no problem, while that may be your experience - thats like saying "I havnt died from playing russian roulette" the key word is : YET

Sorry but I'd have to disagree. I had gotten a kidney infection while letting my catheter drain into my diaper, but it wasn't like playing with a loaded gun. I took none of the precautions, and didn't bother to stay clean. In fact I had even waited a day after I gotten sick before going to the hospital. There wasn't any real pain, but my skin had turned quite yellow. Within a few hours they had me cleared up enough with my kidneys working fine again. A couple days after being on antibiotics and I was back to normal.

Last year I had used catheters for 7 months straight and didn't get sick once! Right now I've been using them for the past 3 months, and still no problems. I honestly believe you are living up to the hype doctors say to scare people off of using them on their own. Talking from personal experience; if you take precautions to stay clean, and drink that cranberry juice, then you're more likely to be fine than playing with a loaded gun pointed at you head.

I wasn't trying to imply that the odds were the same, but the fact that you, yourself indicate you suffered a kidney infection inasmuch proves my point. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying don't do it. You need to go into it knowing realistic and accurate information, and characterizing it as 'you'll be fine' does everyone a dis-service. A kidney infection is no laughing matter.

Also, keep in mind everyone's immune system is different. I have 2 UTIs and have never used a cath. Some might not have any, others might get one easily. I've wondered about using one, but never have, plus they look bad....

Everyone definitely has different risk levels. I had to have a foley for 10 days because of retention problems recently. I was very careful, and had plenty of cranberry juice every day. I still got a UTI from it. It also took over a week to not feel any burning after the foley was taken out. It was not a pleasant experience. The spasms and leaking around the catheter were also very painful at times.

With catheters it is not IF, but WHEN each person will likely get a UTI. The urinary system is very delicate. Messing with it can cause very big problems that can quickly threaten your life.

Question; Has anyone here ever gotten a UTI (kidney, bladder, etc) that has caused permanent damage? I'm not referring to problems that may have occurred simultaneously with a UTI while experiencing something else (ie. incontinence from catheters but got a UTI at the same time), I mean prolonged problems from the UTI its self. It seems to me that with wide spread antibiotic use now, that getting a UTI really is nothing any more (unless it goes untreated). Having had one myself (due to a lack of care) I'd have to say it wasn't even as bad as getting the flu. But as Dougie said everyone definitely has different risk levels. I suppose if you're prone to getting sick like Diaper4me then yeah, everything might not be fine.

after two surgeries to correct my bladder issues i was cath'ed both times and i was very keen on keeping the whole system clean and i still got VERY bad infections.... the whole idea of indwelling cathiters is a bad solution to bladder issues and people using them for fun are just asking for even more problems. as just the inserting and removing can cuase injury....

Question; Has anyone here ever gotten a UTI (kidney, bladder, etc) that has caused permanent damage? I'm not referring to problems that may have occurred simultaneously with a UTI while experiencing something else (ie. incontinence from catheters but got a UTI at the same time), I mean prolonged problems from the UTI its self. It seems to me that with wide spread antibiotic use now, that getting a UTI really is nothing any more (unless it goes untreated). Having had one myself (due to a lack of care) I'd have to say it wasn't even as bad as getting the flu. But as Dougie said everyone definitely has different risk levels. I suppose if you're prone to getting sick like Diaper4me then yeah, everything might not be fine.

the REAL issues are bladder infections can quickly turn into kidney infections and not only are they WAY more painful they can kill you and ruin your kidney..

Just to let you know, my new Daddy just ordered some for me today. :) I'm so excited!

And to all you naysayers: WE'RE GOING TO BE CAREFUL AND KEEP EVERYTHING CLEAN... So there :P

BabyTara, good for you. Glad to see you haven't been scared off by the hype. True it's only been a day but have you noticed not one person spoke up to say how bad an infection was for them?

Thanks Brian. :)

Heaven forbid I do end up with an infection, I do have medical insurance (in fact, good insurance), and would go to my doctor promptly and get it taken care of. I like to think I'm well educated, and I know things in that area can go bad very quickly if you ignore a problem.