LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Hospital Stay ?

I'm incontinent and wear for need and will be staying in the hospital for 5 days next month while the doc's work on my spine. I've got plenty of time before my visit, but I thought I should ask for some advise on what items I should take with me that will make my stay a little easier. I know the the hospital uses the cheap brand of diapers and I HATE leaks, so I'm planning to take my own. So besides taking a few good books to read, toiletries, diapers, and some snack food items, what else should take with me?

I'm incontinent and wear for need and will be staying in the hospital for 5 days next month while the doc's work on my spine. I've got plenty of time before my visit, but I thought I should ask for some advise on what items I should take with me that will make my stay a little easier. I know the the hospital uses the cheap brand of diapers and I HATE leaks, so I'm planning to take my own. So besides taking a few good books to read, toiletries, diapers, and some snack food items, what else should take with me?

Some hospital brands aren't that bad ... and it could save you some of your own so don't discount them before at least seeing them. The hospital I went to uses the classic Attends ... not great but they made sure I could change every time I was wet so there was no real threat of leaks (I "flood" to and they knew it).

Depending on the type of surgery, bring a few "levels" of entertainment just in case. As for most of what you mentioned ... toiletries? Why? But snacks may or may not be a good idea, depends on the hospital again and the type of surgery. Just remember, if you have someone who can visit you, you can always have them bring something else.

Some hospital brands aren't that bad ... and it could save you some of your own so don't discount them before at least seeing them. The hospital I went to uses the classic Attends ... not great but they made sure I could change every time I was wet so there was no real threat of leaks (I "flood" to and they knew it).

Depending on the type of surgery, bring a few "levels" of entertainment just in case. As for most of what you mentioned ... toiletries? Why? But snacks may or may not be a good idea, depends on the hospital again and the type of surgery. Just remember, if you have someone who can visit you, you can always have them bring something else.

Toiletries means comb, tooth brush, tooth paste, razor, etc.

Toiletries means comb, tooth brush, tooth paste, razor, etc.

Oh *blush* My planned stay was only a few hours, though turned into four days so I didn't think of those when I went, but yeah, I take those for granted so much I forget about them.

Good choice to take your own.

Hospital diapers suck and they bill you insurance company 10 bucks each for a sorry diaper!

First of all, I'm sorry you have to spend time in the hospital. It sucks. Trust me, I know. I've spent over 65 days inpatient, and I'm only 25 (chronic blood disorder.)

For the first day or so if you're having surgery, you will be so doped up the first little bit it won't matter. If you have a laptop, take it. Most hospitals have wifi. They all have TV's, so pass your time there. But really, if you're going to feel crappy enough to be in the hospital... you're not gonna be too concerned with how to entertain yourself while there.

Basics : take your own shampoo, soap, razors, etc - those suck from the hospital. And unless you want their attractive gowns, you need to take some clothes, especially comfortable ones that the shirts button up because that makes changes easier with an IV in.

And finally, for the diapers, YES - PLEASE take your own. The ones from the hospital suck... and if they're messing with your spine, you're not going to want to be moving around every hour or so just to get changed.

Just my two cents... from a hospital pro.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

bring your own diapers. I can tell you, from personal experience, that hospital diapers suck!

They are use to seeing diapers all the time so don't sweat it.

Depends on what hospital you go to, one I went to had the full mat At Ease...not terrible, but not great. Attends is pretty normal, so normal that many caregivers call them Attends. As they are free I used theirs last time, and just changed often and slept on a changing pad. Hospitals can't charge insurance for the diapers (insurance pays for procedural care and the cost of diapers etc is baked into the flat pricing).

They are use to seeing diapers all the time so don't sweat it.

I'd say that's pretty accurate. Last time I was in, I told the reception and it was no big deal. I could keep them in my bedside locker and get changed when needed. They always pull a screen round for bathing and changing so nobody can see.

Thank you for all the replies. My hospital stay was actually very pleasant. I was their for 10 days for a pretty routine spinal cord procedure preforemd. Their was one item that I found good use of thet no one mentioned and that was sweat pants, and shirt. I did take my own diapers as the diapers the hospital had were pretty bad. This come as no surprise, so I was well preared.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Thank you for all the replies. My hospital stay was actually very pleasant. I was their for 10 days for a pretty routine spinal cord procedure preforemd. Their was one item that I found good use of thet no one mentioned and that was sweat pants, and shirt. I did take my own diapers as the diapers the hospital had were pretty bad. This come as no surprise, so I was well preared.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Thank you for the update :) I hope all went as well as it could- and welcome back to DD :D

Bettypooh