LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Fsa Account

Anyone here in NYS and have a flex spending account.. I have wet the bed for a year and a half.. but since I like wearing I havent made an issue of it to the doctor.. but I want to use my FSA to buy my diapers.. is this possible or do I have to talk to my doc first?

As long as where you are buying the product from is a brick and mortar store you are fine. I have been buying my arenas online for years with mine, and now the active ultras. Generally within an FSA/HSA you can buy anything over the counter there with it as well. Unfortunatly with the health changes congress did taxable items like aspirin, robotussin, cold medicines, etc., that do not specifically have a doctors prescription will no longer be able to be bought with an fsa after the new year. At least my diapers are safe for now.

Depends on your FSA as not all are created equal. I have to have a written note from a doctor before they'll cover any incontinence supplies. Sure, the receipt from the store may say it's FSA eligable but I still have to have proof that I actually need these items. Some people have cards you can give the clerk and it will automatically be submitted to your FSA and they'll determine eligablility and others like mine, you have to submit manually. I don't have to get a Dr. note for all items but certain specific items or more "specialty items" as layed out on my FSA's website. It's likely to prevent someone from buying the diapers and easily reselling them and making a profit.

Example of a scam:

I have put my maximum of $5,000 into my flex spending account.

I buy $5,000 worth of diapers at a good price.

I submit my $5,000 claim to FSA and get reimbursed for my expenses.

I sell the diapers on e-bay or some other method.

I'm taxed at 35% so the $5,000 taken out of my paycheck really only felt like $3250.

As long as I can sell all the diapers for $3250, I keep the profit above that.

I can basically afford to give up to a 35% discount on the diapers from what I paid for them before I'm losing money.

People will pay full price or more sometimes online and by buying in bulk and having escentially a built in 35% discount on my end there's definately a way to profit.

This works well for bigger items like diapers because it's higher priced and it's not like you're working hard to sell 5,000 tubes of toothpaste or something.

I'm so glad we have Medicaid here, the system is sound, you just have a "spend down" based on your income. ANY medical product can be treated as a spend down, and I buy my diapers from Secure Personal Care most often, just one case covers the spend down for one year. Didn't need a doctor's not either, and the way Bambino bill I could use them as well. .... and I forgot my point, sleeping meds taking effect. Anyhow, I'll post this anyway just in case I remember what my point was leading up to.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to throw politics in this, but in this case it's more like the politicians have thrown themselves into this by changing things. Because of Obamacare, (officially the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act) you won't be able to use FSA funds for diapers during the 2011 tax year. Over-the-counter medicines and medical devices are no longer allowed expenses under Obamacare. So, catheters, for example you could use FSA money (in most states), diapers no since they are available OTC (unless there is some diaper that is Rx only). As I understand the law, even if you are ordered by a doctor to have an OTC medication or device, you still cannot use FSA money without a big IRS fight. So if you have 2010 money left, USE IT!!!

Good ^. Hopefully that'll prevent people from abusing the system and the people that actually need it can still get the FSA discount. I see no problems here aside from getting the Rx, which shouldn't be too hard if you have known condition.

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone answer why only some adult diapering products are FSA approved?

Same reason for all medical insurances, services, and products, it depends on if the supplier or provider is willing to accept what the insurer or agency is willing to pay.

Good ^. Hopefully that'll prevent people from abusing the system and the people that actually need it can still get the FSA discount. I see no problems here aside from getting the Rx, which shouldn't be too hard if you have known condition.

BAH. Cheating is it? I support anyone spending the money they earned in any fashion they choose - people shouldn't have to answer to the government on how they spend the income they earned. Bear in mind I'm a staunch libertarian and if it were up to me I'd repeal the income tax and return us to a pre 1913 tax system (For those of us in the US) - so my views are probably kooky compared to yours. I just thought it was funny you had a post about people who don't pay for their own health care, you allude that they support the seizure of other peoples income to pay for their services and as such they should consider that they have the public tit between their teeth before they complain about the care they receive. I'm Not saying I fully agreed with you, although I did +1 your post for standing up for the tax payer even if you were a bit of an ass about it. But then here you are in another post, you around and say that the people who are paying for their own health care are cheating by misusing FSA dollars by buying medical supplies with their own money! I had waffles for breakfast AND after reading this post! Well it's neither hear nor there in relation to the OP so I'll move on.

I think you misunderstood the point Dogpiss was making. I believe what he was saying was that even with a doctors recommendation you will not be able to use FSA dollars for diapers as they available OTC - so even with a written RX for an OTC item you would not be able to purchase the OTC items with FSA dollars, which is a major diminishment of the program as I see it.

BAH. Cheating is it? I support anyone spending the money they earned in any fashion they choose - people shouldn't have to answer to the government on how they spend the income they earned. Bear in mind I'm a staunch libertarian and if it were up to me I'd repeal the income tax and return us to a pre 1913 tax system (For those of us in the US) - so my views are probably kooky compared to yours. I just thought it was funny you had a post about people who don't pay for their own health care, you allude that they support the seizure of other peoples income to pay for their services and as such they should consider that they have the public tit between their teeth before they complain about the care they receive. I'm Not saying I fully agreed with you, although I did +1 your post for standing up for the tax payer even if you were a bit of an ass about it. But then here you are in another post, you around and say that the people who are paying for their own health care are cheating by misusing FSA dollars by buying medical supplies with their own money! I had waffles for breakfast AND after reading this post! Well it's neither hear nor there in relation to the OP so I'll move on.

I think you misunderstood the point Dogpiss was making. I believe what he was saying was that even with a doctors recommendation you will not be able to use FSA dollars for diapers as they available OTC - so even with a written RX for an OTC item you would not be able to purchase the OTC items with FSA dollars, which is a major diminishment of the program as I see it.

Oh, boy, glanced over that post a little too quick. Yeah, I thought as long as you had an Rx period, even for diapers, you can still use your 2011 FSA for them. I was somewhat saying good to the fact that you need a Rx in order to use your FSA dollars as we all know there are people out there buying OTC meds and FSA eligible items on the 2010 system and reselling them to make a profit so it was more "good" in the manner of, "good, we cut out the cheaters so they have to pay their fair share of taxes". I haven't read up on the new rules for 2011 yet but I'm still under the impression there's a way to have your incontinence supplies covered if you are medically required to have them no different than a diabetic who can right off cotton balls and syringes which are OTC because of their condition. I'll have to look deeper though.

My FSA documentation said OTC medicine wasn't covered, except insulin and supplies. Funny, I thought insulin was a prescribed medication, though. It didn't specifically address "other" medically necessary items but it does say a doctor's prescription is required for OTC products. So, I think that diapers, if prescribed, would be covered.

Additionally, I am quite displeased that MY money is taken from me under threat of seizure and/or imprisonment and redistributed to others under the guise of GOVERNMENT providing for others. This is complete and total BS. "I" and others that pay more in taxes than they receive in services are providing the money, not government. Government makes nothing and takes a sizable "handling fee" for any and all things they touch. My charitable giving has almost dried up due to my personal "I gave at the office" mentality. My charitable cash donations are less than 1% now because of it. I only contribute clothes and household items to worthy charities now rather than deal with a yard sale.

I agree with a previous post that states that not all FSAs are created equal. Under my Federal Employees benefits, the FSA does not cover infants diapers and only covers adult diapers if a licensed prescriber signs an order for them. I've talked with my wife about setting up an FSA, but we just don't buy that much OTC that is covered.

I currently have an FSA account, and I'm wondering now if I'll actually be able to deplete it this year. Come January, you will no longer be able to purchase OTC drugs with FSA accounts, unless your doctor writes a prescription for the OTC drug. First aid supplies, and items that are not OTC drugs can still be purchased. For me this makes FSA accounts much less usable.

I only put enough money into my FSA account to cover prescription meds that I take regularly, and doctor co-pays. That is what the real benefit of it is. I think the only reason you can buy stuff like contact lens solution with it is so that you having items to use your excess FSA funds at the end of the year so you don't loose them.