LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Nursing Home Rules

Hmm... I'd assume they'd allow diaper us, as opposed to having to launder the sheets more than usual. More than likely, it's probly handled on an individual basis, or with whatever's easier for the staff to deal with, or what's more affordable for them. It may be different for each one. If you're looking at going into residency at one, you should explain your situation and ask them.

Since the late 1970s there exists a growing amount of medical evidence it is far better for the individual patient, as well as the staff, other patients and the environment, to contain human waste.

Over the years many studies show that for otherwise healthy patients challenged by incontinence diapers are the best solution. The skin in the area normally covered by a diaper is fairly robust, thus able to withstand contact with urine and feces. However, when urine and feces get onto sheets, other bedding and clothing, then very sensitive and delicate skin is at risk.

In the larger picture the cost of diapers is a fraction of what treatment of skin ulcers and infection from wet and/or messy bedding.

On AB/DL sites certain brands and styles of adult diapers are disliked because they are not "thick" enough.

In the real world of care giving, be that at home or in an assisted-living facility, professional standards of care mandate frequent routine and as needed diaper changes. The majority of patients do not void huge amounts of urine and with diapered patients the fecal problem is avoiding constipation. Runny stool is a rare problem in nursing homes.

So there are different diaper products for different situations. For younger people in hospital or recovery facility due to physical accident, sometimes more absorbent diapers with standing leg guards are needed. Thus the leading disposable manufacturers make several styles.

The same design thinking prevails in the baby disposable industry. Newborn void urine as it is produced, in near continuous dribble. Until the infant is on a solid diet, the typical stool is liquid. So expect most baby disposables Size 4 and smaller to have effective standing leg guards. Their absorbent core does not need to deal with floods of urine, so can use a higher percentage of slow absorbing SAP.

Baby Sizes 5 and larger are designed expecting the maturing baby has enough bladder control that urine is retain until the bladder needs to empty in less frequent larger voids. The maturing baby/toddler is eating a larger proportion of solid food, so runny stool is less common. Thus leg guards need to be softer to reduce abrasion of the sensitive inner upper thigh.

Most non-ambulatory or fall prone nursing home residents will end up in diapers. There has been much debate recently over whether or not the staff is doing this out of sheer laziness or b/c they get to charge more for diapered residents and make more money this way.

In my experience as a mortician, I find more and more deceaseds coming to MY facility wearing a disposable diaper. Only ONCE in the last 30 years did I find someone clad in plastic pants - over a "pull up" - but the gent died at home, so I knew WHY the plastic pants were being used.

My daughter is full incon, and with the program she is on for the disabled, she gets her diapers paid for and delivered, and they are the Select brand. Apparently, like at a nursing home, whomever has the contract, provides the particular supply of a particular brand, and I'm sure it boils down to cost. She has had Attends in the past, but mostly it has been Select. I have seen a variety of brands being used.

Before the widespread use of disposable diapers - which assists the staffs, which seem to be reduced versus in the past(less staff taking care of more residents each shift, which also means I've seen diapers being used in HOSPITAL settings - imagine THAT!) - in making sure there are less "accidents" to take care of, I would normally see a cloth "bed pad" underneath a resident or patient, and they were allowed to void freely into the "pad". But, that was when they were in bed. In the last 40 years I do not remember seeing cloth diapers being used on adults in a medical setting or situation.

To be honest, with the extremes and testing I have put disposable adult diapers to, and given that most disposable products are designed to "wick away" wetness, like infant diapers are designed to do, and are designed for comfort, and have "wetness indicators", disposable adult diapers make a lot of sense, are NOT UNcomfortable for the wearer, and the only negative seems to be the stigma out there that a diaper is a diaper, and should only be reserved for infants. Okay, whatever. The multi-billion dollar industry IS what it IS because the product is NEEDED, is being BOUGHT and being USED. THAT says it all, stigma be damned.

To be honest, I think WE, especially those who CHOOSE adult diapers as our "underwear" are our OWN worst enemies when it comes to acceptance and comfort levels IN that choice. All the other outside "considerations" are really moot with that in mind. Wear, use, relax. No one else CARES that you choose diapers. It's YOUR choice, and if you don't force YOUR leanings onto anyone else, or make someone else uncomfortable, purposely, an accidental exposure or discovery is not going to ruin anyone's day OR life. It's THAT simple!

• Like 3

*sigh* If the elderly person is unable to manuver him/herself out of bed then yes they are diapered, also if the place is light on staff. all residents are encouraged to use the restroom located next to their bed in their room whenever possible. Staff can be summoned to help them make the trip.

I've heard nursing homes generally use thinner diapers because they're required to be changed frequently, but I've been curious how that applies to overnight? It seems to me like changing a patient regularly throughout the night would disrupt them from getting a good sleep.

I guess that is why the ATN is called All Thru the Night. And is ranked #1 by professional's. :P The peach mat with it's odor control, skin dryness and neutralization of urine and inhibition of bacterial growth. They are thin but can hold alot. I havn't warn then for awhile. But did like them.

Many nursing homes are understaffed and put diapers on otherwise continent patients who simply need help ambulating.

It's going to depend on a number of factors, but diapers are definitely not the best way to manage incontinence in such a setting for the most part. Toileting programs usually have better outcomes for the patient. Intranasal administration of DDVAP is typically a preferred alternative when dealing with bedwetting in particular. Of course, it depends on the pathology of the bedwetting, but typically those who do bedwet have bodies which do not produce a sufficient amount of anti-diuretic hormones when sleeping.

I've heard nursing homes generally use thinner diapers because they're required to be changed frequently, but I've been curious how that applies to overnight? It seems to me like changing a patient regularly throughout the night would disrupt them from getting a good sleep.

They just wake them up in the middle of the night. Often times the patients end up with 'insomnia' and get sleeping medication as a result.

Nursing homes are a broken system for the most part imo. There are some which avoid being complete hellholes, but they are much better at keeping infirmity out of sight and mind than they are at actually taking care of people.

Although I am assuredly curious as to why the OP is interesting in the policy of a nursing home regarding bedwetting. At the age of 35, I would not think that such a thing would be relevant.

Nursing homes are a broken system for the most part imo. There are some which avoid being complete hellholes, but they are much better at keeping infirmity out of sight and mind than they are at actually taking care of people....

QFT

Sadly, this mindset seems to apply in the management of many industries now :oIgnoring a problem doesn't make it go away; it just means that the person ignoring it is ignorant :bash:

Bettypooh

Ignoring a problem doesn't make it go away; it just means that the person ignoring it is ignorant

Bettypooh

Actually in the healthcare industry it usually does.

its not that it goes away its just if you ignore the patient long enough eventually they die!!

Nursing homes are a broken system for the most part imo.

Are you kidding? Our entire medical system is broken. When it stopped being about helping people and started being about making money we should have taken note. Profit is fine, but profit at the expense of someone's health or well being goes against the "Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness." line.

IMO medical insurance needs to be like car insurance. You have it in case something terrible happens, but it doesn't cover "regular maintenance"... which keeps insurance and maintenance costs down.

If you had to pay the $300 for a general checkup out of your pocket nobody would ever go. So medical offices profits would fall and they would have to realign their pricing with what the average person could afford, $50 or so. But since insurance pays it the medical offices are free to charge whatever they can get the insurance companies to agree to cover, which leads to an out-of-control spiral of escalating costs until a significant percentage of the general populace cannot afford medical care at all, which in turn lowers the standard of living for the entire nation.

Amazing how the greed of a few people 50 years ago can ruin a nation, is it not?