LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Help Me Forum Users! You'Re My Only Hope.

amp501

32 members have voted

1. 1. Is it...

to whoever was talking about housing developments being named "olde ..." here its " _____ station" even though the development is no where NEAR train tracks or any other kind of station... i just dont get it....

Ha! End of debate! :lol:

Central comes from centre. Otherwise, it would be spelled centeral. :P

I win. Thank you! Please hold your applause. It was nothing. :groupwave:

ps Where I used to live, the developers liked to name their creations after the animals that used to live there (ie Fox Hill, Pheasant Run).

I would seriously consider buying a house in the "Olde Whatever" neighborhood.

I just happen to have a lot for sale at "Ye Olde Garbage Dumpe" :lol: If you sign the contract today I will throw in a lot at "Olde Okefenokee Acres" where a free swimming pool is included with each lot :P

Bettypooh

Just to confuse everyone, the ENGLISH word 'center' comes from the FRENCH verb centrer. The anglicised version of word is CENTRE, which was formed by dropping the letter that is not sounded in FRENCH. The american version of the word, uses strict English spelling rules to create CENTER. As with a large portion of ENGLISH words, they have been adopted from other European languages. As with a lot of AMERICAN words, they try and use English spelling rules to tell the ENGLISH how to spell.

Simply, not every english word follows english spelling rules.

Rule 1 - There are only five vowels, A E I O U, and every word MUST have at least one.

Exceptions:- HYMN RHYTHM, yet some people add an E to the end of these words. Why, cause the word HYMN comes from the french, and is spelled as HYMNE. RHYTHM comes from RYTHMER and RYTHME.

This strict imposition of English rules within word spelling and sentence foundation, creates silly sentences....

'Have at it' although syntactically correct, is only used within American speech. The English equivalent is 'Have a go at it'

In words or many syllables, Americans place emphasis on the first syllable. UK and Europe, when speaking English, will place emphasis on usually the second or third syllable, which is similar to how most European languages are pronounced.

English, in its vocablary, has over one million words. Most other languages have a mere 5-10 thousand words. English is a merge of multiple languages, like most European languages, but unlike the European counterpart, English kept the multiple words for the same object, and its original associated spelling and pronunciation. American English enforces conformity, and will change both spelling and pronunciation to suit.

Accordingly, since there are more than 30% differences in spelling, pronunciation and sentence structure between english and its american counterpart, American English is mathematically a different language to English.

• Like 1

Y'all all got it wrong :huh: "Sinter" is to cause to become a coherent mass by heating without melting ;) So there :P

I'm off to sinter the center of the centre centrally :whistling:

Bettypooh

Hey, isn't this what you do to wood to make charcoal?

Tomato tom-ah-toe.... Potato po-tah-toe.....center, centre they both mean the same thing ...sheesh even though my firefox is telling me that 'centre' is misspelled! :roflmao:

Oh you silly goose. Anyone who has been around theatre knows its centre. :lol:

Anondl

I honor those who can color in the center.

"(pronounced with a long e)Shoppe? What the fuck's a Shoppe?

Someone who likes to shop.

So... theater or theatre?

Theater: "Thee-ate-er" 1: The place where you go to see movies. 2: A bunch of fruits singing on stage.

Theatre: "Thee-uh-tree": Another European bastardization of the right word.

vowels are AEIOU and sometimes Y.... its just how it is....

Also V ("ah") and E with a line over it ("ee"), for Muscogee speakers.