LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Help Me Forum Users! You'Re My Only Hope.

amp501

32 members have voted

1. 1. Is it...

Tomato tom-ah-toe.... Potato po-tah-toe.....center, centre they both mean the same thing ...sheesh even though my firefox is telling me that 'centre' is misspelled! :roflmao:

It is somewhat funny that this conversation is taking place. People, remember, there are TWO languages in question - ENGLISH and AMERICAN. A lot of people make the fatal error and assume that the two languages are the same, but somewhere in history, America decided to change pronunciation and spelling of various words. The root of both languages are from British English. The two languages have changed in subtle ways, to make change the meaning of some ENGLISH words. This comes from the power of some advertising plans - where some words have completely replaced their english equivalent.

American / Trade Name - English Translation

hoover - vacuum cleaner

binky - pacifier

saran wrap - plastic wrap

... and there are thousands more. To bring this into context, the Dyson company are now marketing a Dyson Hoover. Hoover was the company name from The Hoover Company which is currently owned by Candy, Italy. The correct name for the product that the Dyson company is selling is a vacuum cleaner.

• Like 1

It is somewhat funny that this conversation is taking place. People, remember, there are TWO languages in question - ENGLISH and AMERICAN. A lot of people make the fatal error and assume that the two languages are the same, but somewhere in history, America decided to change pronunciation and spelling of various words. The root of both languages are from British English. The two languages have changed in subtle ways, to make change the meaning of some ENGLISH words. This comes from the power of some advertising plans - where some words have completely replaced their english equivalent.

American / Trade Name - English Translation

hoover - vacuum cleaner

binky - pacifier

saran wrap - plastic wrap

... and there are thousands more. To bring this into context, the Dyson company are now marketing a Dyson Hoover. Hoover was the company name from The Hoover Company which is currently owned by Candy, Italy. The correct name for the product that the Dyson company is selling is a vacuum cleaner.

gotta keep the forums busy somehow, bro-ski.

Dysons are for the nappy anyway. I would really like to say they suck, but they don't suck and last so much better than what their cost likes to suggest. Numatic everytime.

btw: C E N T R E. Oh, and it's British English and US English, AFAIK there is no American (Algonquian might qualify, though), as in language.

there.

;-)

But: is Quebecois French?

fire away!

greetz

wetman

Dysons are for the nappy anyway. I would really like to say they suck, but they don't suck and last so much better than what their cost likes to suggest. Numatic everytime.

wetman

Last?... Last what? They were only introduced to the main stream market in 2001. If you got one your claiming you have a vacuum that is 9 years old. :whistling: I can guarantee my Rainbow is over 20 years old and still performs as new and can suck the paint off the walls. I paid less for it new than a Dyson and it has zero loss of power from start to finish. When I'm done, I flush the waste down the toilet. Simple and easy.... And it's not only a vacuum, it's a carpet cleaner, paint sprayer, air filtration system, works wet or dry to clean spills, hell it even stores clothes and whatnot in a tenth of the space with a vacuum sealer bag. Now what good is a Dyson again? Just kidding...BTW I always use Center when describing the "middle" I use Centre when describing a shopping mall. :P

it depends on how good my typing skills are on a particular day, sometimes its center, sometimes its centre.... course if i've been talking online or reading emails from my friends in the UK i tend to adopt their spelling, so it becomse centre, colour, theatre etc...etc...etc...

Well, I feel this way...

I live in the US and over here, it's CENTER. Right above me is Canada and it's Centre. I've had this particular debate before with other people lol.

If your in the US, is CENTER... no debate.

They need to go to the sign at the local mall and change it from CENTRE to CENTER (Yes we're close to Canada but we're not IN Canada... I should write the people who run the mall and give them a piece of my mind. I could hold a hunger strike out in front of the sign until they change it to Center!!!! :D )

~lilme

"(pronounced with a long e)Shoppe? What the fuck's a Shoppe?

In my experience, it's a rather strange way of attempting to make a 1990's strip mall look quaint and old fashioned... Kinda like the current craze (around here, anyway) to name brand new sub-divisions on previously undeveloped land "Olde Whatever"

It looks just plain silly to me :whistling: