LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Scared To Death

PArms

Someone just threw a brick through my bedroom window while I was sleeping. Happened at 10:45. I woke up screaming. So it took me a minute to figure out what happened. So I didn't get a chance to see anyone running. Threw on some clothes to go outside and called 911. Police checked it out. They went into my room. I have no reason to suspect anyone due to a confrontation. I simply said to the officer that it might be one of my neighbor that can see my clothes line. I hang out my clothes to dry and some of them are girls' clothes. I guess I won't be sleeping tonight.

I hope it doesn't happen again. If it does, you may want to consider something like installing a security camera. Or get a good guard dog. One who'll take a chunk out of such an offender.

Obtain and learn how to use a firearm!

Keep it loaded and ready!

The type of arm depends on you!

If you are living in a heavyly populated area, I suggest "The Judge" I have one and love it. It amounts to a legal sawed off shougun.

Law enforcement will never get to you in time!

You should not have to live in fear!

Someone just threw a brick through my bedroom window while I was sleeping. Happened at 10:45. I woke up screaming. So it took me a minute to figure out what happened. So I didn't get a chance to see anyone running. Threw on some clothes to go outside and called 911. Police checked it out. They went into my room. I have no reason to suspect anyone due to a confrontation. I simply said to the officer that it might be one of my neighbor that can see my clothes line. I hang out my clothes to dry and some of them are girls' clothes. I guess I won't be sleeping tonight.

• Like 2

That is such a shame. I know it doesn't sound good, but I hope it was just some kids or something instead of a hate crime. It would really suck if it was one of your near neighbors. Usually with this type of thing the perpetrator will surface because the can't keep their mouth shut and will brag about it to the wrong person. I hope it gets resolved.

I lived through something like this about 2 months ago. Over $1000 damage and endless nights of sleep later. All this over someone claiming That "I" owed someone they knew $100 dollars. It wasn't nice but I had to do what I had to do. The Police were useless even though they had witnesses provided. They never followed up on anything after the first report.

Let's just say without going into specifics that it wasn't wise to fool with a Marine. We tend to know how to set some pretty interesting booby traps. whistling.gif

As for a firearm, yeah you should have one. If this kind of thing continues and wasn't a random act. The peace of mind alone would be worth the cost. Although in this instance I don't believe you would have been within the law to discharge it. Well without stretching the story a bit as to entry. thumbsup.gif See trespass signs below.

As for a dog. Well the cost will run in the thousands for a true trained dog that can act within the law. I have had two train protection dogs, and I will tell you the peace of mind of protection is unparalleled. Their hearing and instinct to protect is great. The liabilities for a untrained Dog are staggering though. And it is another mouth to feed and take care of, but even so the pro's outweigh the con's if you can afford the money and time for a "best" friend. Any normal dog will be a great deterrent, my vote is a German Shepard. A super loyal family dog, very protection oriented to your property alone (Generally without training) and let's face it, will scare the shit outta anyone when they let loose with the bark within range. Ask my local police when they knocked on my door, they went back to the cruiser and called me to come out, and the dog was inside!!! :)

I will state that some simple steps can help such as installing some motion lights and a webcam or two set to record when lights are activated. Check your local laws to see what they are pertaining to the posting of trespass signs, as some times that gives you greater rights in the protection of life and property. I hope this was random as I said, hang in there and try to get some sleep and not let it bother you for now.

That is a very scary situation PA !and i feel very bad for you .I also agree with repaid and the other posters about getting a security device or dog ! .But hopefully this won;t happen again :thumbsup:

That is such a shame. I know it doesn't sound good, but I hope it was just some kids or something instead of a hate crime. It would really suck if it was one of your near neighbors. Usually with this type of thing the perpetrator will surface because the can't keep their mouth shut and will brag about it to the wrong person. I hope it gets resolved.

I lived through something like this about 2 months ago. Over $1000 damage and endless nights of sleep later. All this over someone claiming That "I" owed someone they knew $100 dollars. It wasn't nice but I had to do what I had to do. The Police were useless even though they had witnesses provided. They never followed up on anything after the first report.

Let's just say without going into specifics that it wasn't wise to fool with a Marine. We tend to know how to set some pretty interesting booby traps. whistling.gif

As for a firearm, yeah you should have one. If this kind of thing continues and wasn't a random act. The peace of mind alone would be worth the cost. Although in this instance I don't believe you would have been within the law to discharge it. Well without stretching the story a bit as to entry. thumbsup.gif See trespass signs below.

As for a dog. Well the cost will run in the thousands for a true trained dog that can act within the law. I have had two train protection dogs, and I will tell you the peace of mind of protection is unparalleled. Their hearing and instinct to protect is great. The liabilities for a untrained Dog are staggering though. And it is another mouth to feed and take care of, but even so the pro's outweigh the con's if you can afford the money and time for a "best" friend. Any normal dog will be a great deterrent, my vote is a German Shepard. A super loyal family dog, very protection oriented to your property alone (Generally without training) and let's face it, will scare the shit outta anyone when they let loose with the bark within range. Ask my local police when they knocked on my door, they went back to the cruiser and called me to come out, and the dog was inside!!! :)

I will state that some simple steps can help such as installing some motion lights and a webcam or two set to record when lights are activated. Check your local laws to see what they are pertaining to the posting of trespass signs, as some times that gives you greater rights in the protection of life and property. I hope this was random as I said, hang in there and try to get some sleep and not let it bother you for now.

Ditto with an addendum- if you get a gun you need to learn how to use it safely ;) It's not as easy as you think, especially the legalities which change vastly from state to state. I can have a loaded pistol in my glove box without a license here, but a 30 minute drive makes that a low felony offense, and 40 minutes more makes that a high felony :o Had you even shown the brick-thrower a gun you might have been tossed in jail- here it's a felony that's called "presenting a firearm" even if you didn't point it at them. I love dogs and will never be without one in my yard. When I'm not here they defend the territory for me; when I'm here I defend it for them. A dog who loves you will die for you trying to protect you without any training; it's their pack instinct- but you must love them equally so. Mine is my eyes and ears when I'm home and I've trained her what to alert me for and what not to. She is my best friend in the entire world :wub:

Yes, it's scary to be the target of someone as yet unknown but you can't let that stop you from living. If they weren't cowards they would have been "in your face" instead of behind your back. You have to show them that you are nor going to let them run your life or even ruin your day. Nothing works so well stopping these kinds as finding out who they are and exacting a revenge ten times worse than what they did to you. It's not being vengeful (which is wrong) but putting a permanent end to their bad behavior for all of society so that nobody else gets hurt- that's being humanitarian and good. How you teach is up to you- just don't get caught "teaching" :rolleyes: In fact it's better for them to not know who got even with them so they will have to worry constantly instead of you! With people like these you aren't the only person they've harmed.

The real world sucks when you're substantially different from others. This is why those of us like that have to think more about what we appear to be and do, and why we have to be more aware of what is going on around us. Being known to all your neighbors as a nice, helpful, and caring person is paramount to having their support when you need it. My neighbors know I'm weird but I don't push that on them. They also get to see me go out at night with stick in hand to let the drunks and druggies walking down our street know that they better choose another place to disturb the peace at B) If I see any of my neighbors in need I offer to help in any way I can. Because of all this I have few problems, and those I do have are generally in my face where I want them (and where I deal with them quite effectively) They will then learn that effing with me is dangerous and costly so they leave me alone.

I hope for your sake that this was just a random act of hooliganism from kids that don't live nearby. If it's not then you have to remember that the only one with any obligation to protect you is you, and that requires action. Play out that action on your terms, not theirs, and do it in a way that will change they way they think forever.

Bettypooh, still playing he!! with her emoticons

Guest TBinthehoodie

i agree a fire arm is useful for burglaries but a hidden security cam would do best so if this happens again there is evidence on who the person is

It's probably some kids screwing around.

A firearm might be a good choice, but in NC you can't shoot someone for throwing a brick through your window... NC doesn't have castle doctrine so you have to be afraid for your life before you can shoot someone. Personally I keep a 12 gauge pump in the bedroom closet... never needed it, but the mere sound is generally enough to make all but the stupidest people think twice about coming through that door.

The security camera is a better bet... or even just an inexpensive motion-activated spotlight may be enough to keep vandals or pranksters at bay.

Sorry to hear about this PArms, I'm glad you're okay. :) If you choose to get a firearm, please do take Bettypooh's advice, learn to use it. And spend some time thinking about using it. Decide before hand what you're willing to take life over and what you are not. Pulling a gun without the intention to use it will get you killed. Guns aren't magic, problems don't go away just because you use one. Guns can compound problems and make life a living hell with the ensuing court battles. Escalation of force is still the deciding factor in many states (not sure about NC) and my understanding is that you can only use a gun if the attacker is wielding a gun, or if you're feeling brave; is wielding a knife and you can prove he was a skilled knife fighter. Of course, there are the typical 'what if' loopholes, like what if you're a 90 pound Grandma and the attacker is a 180 karate black-belt. If you decide to go this route do your research and find out exactly what you're allowed to do with the gun in your state. Get training with it! Do legal research!. And, be safe *hugs*

As far as my experiences from living in NC go... if you shoot someone you need to be able to prove to the jury that you feared for your life. What kind of weapon the attacker had doesn't matter. You start it as soon as you call 911... "I was afraid he was going to kill me." That was instilled in both my mother and myself by my father, a former Police Sgt.

That said... dead men tell no tales. Lay the bastard out, then go get a knife from the kitchen and put it in his hand... who is to say that he didn't grab it on the way to attack you.

Of course all this is overkill if you are simply faced with someone throwing bricks through your glass... you can't shoot anyone for that. If they decide to up the ante and actually break in, then it becomes a different situation.

• Like 1
Guest lilme

Wow, to the judge comment. Wow... that is one nasty firearm lol. I've never owned a gun and probably never will but if I was gonna... I think that'd be it. Can anyone say Overkill? That thing is filthy mcnasty lol.

As for the dog, I just wanted to say I had a pure bred chinese sharpei a few years back until he died of old age... and he was the smartest and best dog I ever owned. His intelligence was incredible, I can't even begin to make you understand. I swore up and down he was a person born in a dog's body. He was kennel trained and obeyed all commands, always.

He was as friendly as could possibly be to me and my family, but if you were a stranger, you didn't set foot in our home without us curbing the dog first. I never saw an animal that was so territorial. Sharpei's have that lock jaw too with their muzzles... so if he bit down on you, a crowbar wouldn't have gotten him off unless he wanted to release you. His senses were incredibly sharp, if someone was walking up our driveway (which was quite long) he was already aware of it before we were.

We had a cop come to our door one night, we were having trouble with some people down the road. He wouldn't come in the house when he saw the dog, who was sitting by my feet when I opened the door. I had to tell him to heal and sit, but he kept inching himself between me and the cop and never took his eyes off the guy, who was visibly nervous (sharpei's look mean lol). He would never attack unless there was real danger or the command was given, but he was super protective of family members.

I always said I would feel sorry for the poor SOB who tried to break into our home, if they were dumb enough. The dog would have eaten him alive.

Ah, I miss him. He was family.

~lilme

Obtain and learn how to use a firearm!

Keep it loaded and ready!

The type of arm depends on you!

If you are living in a heavyly populated area, I suggest "The Judge" I have one and love it. It amounts to a legal sawed off shougun.

Law enforcement will never get to you in time!

You should not have to live in fear!

I AGREE !! A GUN IN YOUR HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.

• Like 2

What use is a gun to somebody sleeping when a brick comes flying through the window? Presumably the perp then legged it so who is there to threaten/shoot at?

In the case of a burglar maybe I can see the point but when somebody does something like brick your window and run, a gun ain't gonna do you no good. The thrower will never even know you had it :P

• Like 1

cops are relatively useless, get a firearm and learn how to use it properly, actually reverse that order and you're fine.

As for this sutuation a gun would have been useless, however if said perpetrator decided to enter the premise, so would have been the police.

if you shoot someone you need to be able to prove to the jury that you feared for your life. . . You start it as soon as you call 911... "I was afraid he was going to kill me." That was instilled in both my mother and myself by my father, a former Police Sgt.

I was taught similarly. It also included "I am in shock and I need medical attention." But there was no dead man (or nearly so) to claim fear of. I do know that it takes about 24 hours for the shock to subside. I can say, though, that I was in fear of my life and I certainly was in shock.

If they weren't cowards they would have been "in your face" instead of behind your back.

I thought of this very same thing this morning on the way to work.

What use is a gun to somebody sleeping when a brick comes flying through the window? Presumably the perp then legged it so who is there to threaten/shoot at?

In the case of a burglar maybe I can see the point but when somebody does something like brick your window and run, a gun ain't gonna do you no good. The thrower will never even know you had it :P

Thank you. You saved my typing fingers.

Thank you all for your concerns and input.

The beauty of "The Judge" is it is safer than a standard pistol round. The shotgun round would protect the shooter and make a big mess of the shootee. The shot would not exit the target's body thus reducing the danger to the general public. The shotgun round has an effective range of 90 feet. The .45 pistol round would travel a mile.

Wow, to the judge comment. Wow... that is one nasty firearm lol. I've never owned a gun and probably never will but if I was gonna... I think that'd be it. Can anyone say Overkill? That thing is filthy mcnasty lol.

As for the dog, I just wanted to say I had a pure bred chinese sharpei a few years back until he died of old age... and he was the smartest and best dog I ever owned. His intelligence was incredible, I can't even begin to make you understand. I swore up and down he was a person born in a dog's body. He was kennel trained and obeyed all commands, always.

He was as friendly as could possibly be to me and my family, but if you were a stranger, you didn't set foot in our home without us curbing the dog first. I never saw an animal that was so territorial. Sharpei's have that lock jaw too with their muzzles... so if he bit down on you, a crowbar wouldn't have gotten him off unless he wanted to release you. His senses were incredibly sharp, if someone was walking up our driveway (which was quite long) he was already aware of it before we were.

We had a cop come to our door one night, we were having trouble with some people down the road. He wouldn't come in the house when he saw the dog, who was sitting by my feet when I opened the door. I had to tell him to heal and sit, but he kept inching himself between me and the cop and never took his eyes off the guy, who was visibly nervous (sharpei's look mean lol). He would never attack unless there was real danger or the command was given, but he was super protective of family members.

I always said I would feel sorry for the poor SOB who tried to break into our home, if they were dumb enough. The dog would have eaten him alive.

Ah, I miss him. He was family.

~lilme

Most of the people who own guns tend to hope that they never have to use them for home protection. But, they do generally help us sleep better, knowing that we have something to fall back on, should we ever need it. Not everyone is a gun person, and guns must be treated with respect and properly handled and stored, so's to prevent accidents. But if it would give you piece of mind, go take a gun safety course and get a reliable gun, then go out and train with it every so often. A .22 may not be a big, or imposing thing, but it can kill someone with a well-placed shot, and most anyone will take off when they see a gun, or if a warning shot is fired. According to an episode of Forensic Files, most of the gunshot victims they encounter were killed by .22 cal weapons. If you just want something to make them wet themselves when they see it, invest in a Ruger .480. My grandpa has one of these. It makes Dirty Harry's gun look like toy.

Depending on what window a brick is thrown through, the very act could be seen as assault or attempted assault. If they threw it through the bedroom window, then there's a chance that they could've been trying to hit the person within. That changes the situation completely from something like the brick being thrown through a different window. If you get a brick through the window near where you are, that often constitutes the "I was fearful for my life" qualification.

As for dogs: They don't have to be particularly trained, or any particular breed (so long as they're big enough) to be a good guard dog. Generations of people around here have had mutts (often strays or those that have been dumped on our properties), who are all great guard dogs. A dog simply needs to be taught what you want them to do, and what not to do. Most will bark at people approaching the house, be they friend or otherwise. If you don't want them to bark at someone, you just have to teach them not to do so. Some are faster learners than others, so that may take a while, depending on the individual. And generally speaking, if you've got a dog that will bite either in the house or fenced in/on a tie-out leash/chain and someone does something to get bit by them, then the fault is on the individual who got bit. If they open the gate and let the dog loose, or walk up to them, or do something like bust the door open or break a window and let the dog out, then their damages are their own fault.

I'd advise against Darkfinn's knife-planting suggestion. Such tactics may have been plausible as late as the 80's, but forensics have gotten a lot better since then. Unless they're completely inept, any police force could easily figure out that you planted the knife. Dead people do tell tales, these days.

I like how guns are a political issue.

Its hard to find something that isn't. Dogs are also a political issue. As are bricks. And windows. And security cameras. And cops. And the person who throws a brick through a window and gets caught on camera and is shot and/or mauled by the dog that was in the house and is eventually arrested by cops is a particularly hot political topic.