LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Vaseline?

Zippo

a good coating of vaseline keeps your bottom lovely and soft and smooth! (also if you buy non-branded petroleum jelly, it's about a quarter of the cost too!!!)

froggie

Vaseline is a brand name for one make of petroleum Jelly. It has gone out of favour a bit now and been replaced by the zinc/castor oil nappy creams like Sudocream. Whereas Vaseline does waterproof the skin quite a bit it won't clear up nappy rash like the others. It also attacks rubber so don't use it with latex pants or condoms. The old joke was that you used it as a sex aid (by putting on the door knob so the kids couldn't get in the bedroom while you were having sex!)

Marcia

I've noticed a mention of Vaseline in some diaper stories and just wondering what people use it for or if its just a common theme in fiction

For those of us born in the 50s, Vaseline (petroleum jelly) was used to prevent diaper rash. Babies wore cloth diapers and rubber/plastic pants that didn't "breathe" like modern-day disposable diapers, so Vaseline was necessary to keep wetness off the skin. There was nothing like the intoxicating smell of a 1950s nursery with the aroma of Vaseline and baby powder. And nothing felt quite like a soft, cloth diaper covered with rubber pants. Of course it also required "mommy" to spend an extra amount of time tending to the diaper change ritual, but Fifties mommies just did it because they weren't so busy with everything else in their lives. Raising babies was everything back then.

Since most of the people posting here are young, you don't remember the "good old days." We didn't worry about trans-fats or even know what cholesterol was. No one had video games; we got exercise by playing outside with our friends and didn't have problems with "childhood obesity." No one hid behind ADHD or Asperger's Syndrome. If you couldn't pay attention in class, you got your ass whipped by the teacher or the principal and following that, YOU PAID ATTENTION IN CLASS. Then you got disciplined at home for not paying attiention in class--NOT a prescription for Ritalin!

Anyway, that's what Vaseline was used for back when kids had a real childhood. (Gasoline was 19 cents a gallon then if anyone is interested).

I prefer Vaseline (Baby fresh scent) to prevent diaper rash. I love putting a big gob of it between my cheeks, and smooth it over the rest of my cheeks. After a few minutes, the Vaseline warms up and you have this wonderful slippery feeling between your cheeks when you walk! Doesn't last too long, but I love that feeling and enjoy it every morning on my way to work.

• 11 years later...

If I don't use anything, there are a couple areas on my butt that burn a little, even after just a couple hours,  I've been using a diaper rash cream, especially on my vacation when I was in diapers all the time, but I do also use Vaseline more and more because I'm not sure putting something on to heal a diaper rash is always a good idea since I look at diaper rash ointments as a medicine to cure a rash, not a barrier to prevent one like petroleum jelly. 

I use Vaseline and either Baby Magic or Parents Choice (Walmart brand) baby lotion before I put my night time diaper on. I enjoy messing in the morning when I get up and I don't change right away; I stay in my wet and soiled diaper for between 2-4 hours. Therefore, Vaseline and baby lotion is essential for skin protection and it helps with the clean up as well with less messies stubbornly adhering to my bottom.