LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Windows 7

Hence why most companies use linux servers on the back end! Like I said in more then one post. And if linux did reduce IT costs for corporations then they would of moved over. You don't think they know about linux? All those students going to work for them? That they've never had some linux guy shouting out about it? If they stuck to windows then it isn't cost effective to move over, they have people who cost this stuff up. People who's job it is to look at these variables from every angle, from cost of hiring staff with knowledge, cost of training staff etc etc.

Gotta love the eternal OS wars, but really the number one reason for not using linux as business desktops is the applications that run on linux are not what people are used to using or are not the business standard ie no Microsoft Word on linux, no Exchange, no photoshop etc etc. I think other issues are secondary. However, I will say a lot of tech companies that deal with robotics and AI use linux....and of course there is google and the NYSE.

Gotta love the eternal OS wars, but really the number one reason for not using linux as business desktops is the applications that run on linux are not what people are used to using or are not the business standard ie no Microsoft Word on linux, no Exchange, no photoshop etc etc. I think other issues are secondary. However, I will say a lot of tech companies that deal with robotics and AI use linux....and of course there is google and the NYSE.

Yea its a double edged sword, do you keep paying for windows/microsoft, or do you pay to retrain everyone to use linux? (and most people hate retraining on computers)

[quote name='Loopy' date='26 September 2009 - 10:14 AM' timestamp='1253985270' post='233545'

Back to the topic, I'm defo going to give Windows 7 a try if I can get it on the cheap, may have to wait for a while before they make it stable (about 6 months usually :P )

I've been running it since RC and its perfectly stable. Though this is more like Windows VISTA SP1 rather then a whole new OS. It really is what Vista should have been.

I'm still running the RC on this desktop as I still need to backup and such before I do a full reinstall. My laptop did get the RTM installed and it is working better then it ever has.

Oh and lol, pay for a Microsoft Product?

I'm pretty sure the only one I actually paid for was my very first Pentium II that was a prebuilt that came with it. I guess you could say I paid for the OS on one of my laptops, but I got the whole thing at such a great deal that I wouldn't call it buying the OS. The other laptop I didn't even buy it with an OS.

And now I got two copies of Windows 7 from MSDNAA for free since I'm a computer engineering student. Not that I would have paid for them anyways though..., certainly never paid for XP.

Ummmm..Vista Service pack 1 was out already...and for the rest of my fellow nerds and geeks....it was a simple post by DD on Windows 7..not a in depth war on Microsoft/OS..I'm not gay (not caring if you are or not) But if I had to be, it would be because of Bill Gates...you know you Linux gang wish you were him, If not, yeah right.. :P So I'm shallow...But my nursery would beat yours!!! ;) And that's just the one on my Yacht :huh:

Everybody is saying that 'companies would change to Linux if....'

The simple fact is that companies USE LINUX TODAY, and have been using in since the 1980s - many still using that same base software that has been running continusly for what works out now as 29 years without crashes or bugs or viruses attacking the database.

The internet has LINUX as its CORE. Most web servers run LINUX machines. ALL financial transactions are LINUX machines talking to each other. This is WORLDWIDE, billions of machines, trillions and trillions of transaction, all working perfectly as designed.

The Windows users consist of two groups - domestic and office, and currently, both are slowly being erroded by the inet/email machines and free open source office tools.

EVERYTHING ELSE RUNS ON LINUX, or variations of same. It is not 'when' or 'if' companies will change - they already have, and are migrating their document management applications (office tools ) to linux platforms.

This FORUM runs on a LINUX based machine. The web browser that you are using is core text created by JAVA servers running in a LINUX shell on a LINUX MACHINE.

There is NO WAY that any of microsoft OS's could work as a web page server. Even Microsofts own web site is hosted on a LINUX server. GET IT YET?

• Like 1

Ummmm..Vista Service pack 1 was out already...and for the rest of my fellow nerds and geeks....it was a simple post by DD on Windows 7..not a in depth war on Microsoft/OS..I'm not gay (not caring if you are or not) But if I had to be, it would be because of Bill Gates...you know you Linux gang wish you were him, If not, yeah right.. tongue.gif So I'm shallow...But my nursery would beat yours!!! wink.gif And that's just the one on my Yacht huh.gif

You got a yacht???? Gee, I don't even have a toy boat anymore crybaby.gif

I'm not bashing anyone personally with my thoughts though I am very happy to make note that widespread open generosity and sharing can overcome personal quests for money and power biggrin.gif That MS and Mac must eventually fail is simply because they have no way of keeping equal minds not employed by them from sharing their knowledge freely through open-source code, and that their survival depends on them making a profit- a concept which is absent with Linux wink.gif

I tend to use what I've got as long as it works well for me, which is why I'm still using the XP home OS which was loaded on my used PC when I got it. If I needed a new OS I would consider them all but there's no beating the price of Linux so I'm sure that's where I would go. Give me W7 for the same price and I'd probably go there because of familiarity only- but nobody's giving it away are they? Money matters to everyone and I want to keep as much of mine as I can (so I can buy a yacht too cool.gif ) I don't know enough about the technical stuff to be able to point out the merits of any OS over the others, but I do see from others who do have that knowledge that there is really not a lot of difference between them all for the average user huh.gif Go with what you like but see the handwriting on the wall as you do that- it says "Linux is free and it's just as good or better than the rest" tongue.gif

Bettypooh

No matter what you want to "believe," at least for today Linux is not as easy to use as either Windows or Mac OS. I have no idea what the future will hold, maybe it isn't even anything that is out today that will take over the market.

And Linux is certainly the way to go for back end. Just because it is great at that, doesn't mean it is the best for end users. As engineers there is no best solution, only the best solution that applies to that specific application that the user wants. If what the user wants changes and Microsoft and Apple doesn't change to their needs they certainly will go out of business. As it is right now the users have spoken and what works best for the majority of "end users," is Windows. And both Microsoft and Apple are good at engineering what the end user wants, they certainly would have not stayed in business this long if they were not.

Also that is the reason Steve Jobs was brought back, without him Apple was in serious trouble. With him they are able to be very profitable, even with a very small share of the market.

All I was saying is that Windows 7 is what Vista should have been. I didn't realize a SP had come out for it, doubt it really did much though as Microsoft was working on the real fix, Windows 7. I ran Vista for all of about 6 months as it really was that bad before installing Windows 7 beta 7000.

And Windows may not come preinstalled with all the software that Linux does, but I get to decide what program at what price works best for me. I can easily install WinSCP, tightVNC and Putty, all of which are free. I do think Microsoft screwed up with Office 2007, but I'm now running 2010 Technical Preview and it makes it easier for me then ever to quickly write up my Engineering reports with tables, pictures and columns and make it look professional. Project and Visio even though I never needed to use them before taking this Software Engineering class let me fast and easy to make Network Activity Charts and Bar Charts. And for me Visual Studio is still the easiest to debug my C++ programs, I'm sure that are much better tools for more complicated programs to debug them, but for the simple programs we make it allows me to debug without any learning curve. I'm sure I'll actually have to learn real debugging when I learn VHDL and Verilog as these are the main languages we use in Computer Engineering.

And it certainly is true things are changing as C++ and specially Java are platform independent. C++ has to be recompiled on each platform, but as long as your are not using platform dependent libraries then they can be compiled on any platform.

DirectX is still the choice for games, so until the majority of games are using opengl, windows will have the most choice for games. And until Linux is able to have the major games just install with putting a disk in and clicking install it won't be the choice for gamers. The average gamer isn't going to install some emulation software to be able to play their favorite game.

No one knows the future, so please stop saying it is inevitable that Linux will become the end users choice.

Oh and Microsoft has started to give their software out free or very cheap. You just have to know where to get those deals.

BabyKieff - "The internet has LINUX as its CORE"

Do you really believe that? Where were you in the early days of DARPANET? LINUX is a variant of UNIX which developed at first into two flavors - AT&T and BSD. I was a UNIX SA back in the day for both and slung C code for both variants. I love UNIX, but have PCs at home. Yes, my little laptop is 3 years old and running XP. My dear wife's desktop is cursed with VISTA and we appreciate everyone's comments about Windows 7.

I'll let it mature to one or two service packs and then consider new machines with WIN 7 preloaded.

Well, it seems there's 3 categories of "fanboys" on this thread:

Linux lovers

Mac lovers

Windows lovers

Until some major event occurs in the computer world to bring those 3 groups together into a single unified whole, we will forever argue about which OS is better, and there will be toes stepped on and feelings hurt.

So lets just end this whole thing for now with a friendly agreement to disagree, since everyone's opinions about operating systems are as unique as our own fingerprints.

just out of curiosity, who made the atari? i remmeber spending hours playing frogger when i was a kid.

Umm, duh... Atari the company made the Atari systems...

And Atari is still in the video game business, but just on the software side of it now...

Well I'm not a fanboy of any of them. I just use what works best and easiest for me and recommend things based on that and realize that there is no one "best" solution for everything and everyone.

Which is really the only point the Linux Fanboys on here can't seem to grasp. That was pretty much the only point I was trying to make with all my ramblings.

Umm, duh... Atari the company made the Atari systems...

thank you for the answer void of any sarcasm.. made me feel real comfortable ever asking a question again.. i definitely appreciate your desire to actually answer an honest question with a sincere response.

nicely done.

Axshually, Atari is dead. The company that owns the name of, and trades as, Atari; nowdays is formerly known as Infogrames and has nothing to do with the 1980's hardware company~

For some reason, I was under the impression that it was the other way around (I had a few friends who lost jobs in the merger, back when Infogrames still had an office in Cupertino, CA)