LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Diapers And The Heat

Well, the heat is only going to get worse and as my AC is now out for an undetermined period of time right now. So i'm wondering what I can do to prevent issues from the heat. I don't use baby powder or such, only lotion now and then which i'm not sure would help. I'm looking to avoid any complications like rashes or such being brought on by the heat and diaper wearing. That way I can continue wearing even when the 100+ degree temps start rolling in. So, does anyone have advice or tips to share?

What is wrong with the AC? A small window unit is cheap. I will not live without AC no matter what Obama says!

Cloth diapers are cooler.

I live in Florida

Well, the heat is only going to get worse and as my AC is now out for an undetermined period of time right now. So i'm wondering what I can do to prevent issues from the heat. I don't use baby powder or such, only lotion now and then which i'm not sure would help. I'm looking to avoid any complications like rashes or such being brought on by the heat and diaper wearing. That way I can continue wearing even when the 100+ degree temps start rolling in. So, does anyone have advice or tips to share?

Not sure as of yet, might be a freeon(sp) leak or something like that. Still waiting on someone to come out and see what the damage is. Even when the AC is fixed though I still need some tips for dealing with it when wearing outside. I do alot of fishing and other activities during the summer i'd like to enjoy while wearing.

First, if possible, switch to cloth diapers when it gets hot. I know this isn't an option for many (and I myself prefer disposables), but cloth diapers are wonderful in the summer. They absorb sweat instead of repelling it.

Oddly enough, the consistent solution to sweaty diapers is... underwear. No, I don't mean switching back. By placing your unused underpants in the rear of the diaper (stuffed in the back), it can absorb a huge amount of sweat, as well as provide non-leaking ventilation of the heat (so you can still move about, without worrying about leaks). Socks will probably work too (and can actually feel amazing, a perfect mix of cloth and disposable in the heat).

Any cloth will do really, for example, you can stuff your shirt into the upper part of the diaper as well. However, this is much less discreet.

Thanks, i'll have to give baby powder a shot and see how it goes, didn't know it could help with that. As for your suggestion AbriForm i'll try it with some soft washclothes or such if it gets too bad. I need my boxers and socks since I can't be barefoot and diapered 24/7, heh.

rusty pins: Well...you never know...

Baby powder or any kind of body power (gold bond) can help reduce the amount of sweat or rashes that can develop. We get horrible humidity in North Carolina so I make sure to use extra powder during the summer months. Plus, the baby powder smells nice. Speaking of diapers and diaper related topics I need to go replenish my stash, so its off to the drug store I go. Unfortunately all we have are Depends in the drug stores here. That or the generic store brand. It'd be nice if they sold Abena products here.

First, if possible, switch to cloth diapers when it gets hot. I know this isn't an option for many (and I myself prefer disposables), but cloth diapers are wonderful in the summer. They absorb sweat instead of repelling it.

Wrong. So very, very wrong.

Wearing cloth and plastic pants in the heat is pure hell. Yea they sure do "absorb" sweat. The plastic pants create an oven which traps heat. Very quickly, within 15-30 minutes you can dampen a think heavy diaper completely with just sweat. The entire diaper will be and feel wet. Condensation actually forms on the inside of your plastic pants. Your whole diaper area will feel "itchy wet." You will never feel dry or comfortable. Chaffing is a big issue so are fungal infections, also known as jock itch - the same thing as athletes foot. Odor can be a big problem.

If you mess a diaper, this won't work. But if you just wet them, here is what helps. Get some lycra shorts, very short even brief size if you can. These are synthetic and will wick moisture away from your body. Wear these shorts next to your skin with the cloth diaper over them. This will really help in the comfort department and help from feeling "itchy wet" all the time. It also helps with chaffing.

One area that I have not found a solution for which is a real problem is the irritation of the elastic gathers on the legs. Since the inside of the plastic pant is always very wet, the area around the legs gets very irritated. I've litterally had to peel the plastic pants from my legs at times.

You can try changing a lot but it won't make much difference. The lycra shorts do help. I've also used longer shorts with bloomer style plastic pants so that the leg elastic doesn't move. To do this you wear 2 lycra shorts. A brief style next to your body, your diper and then the larger shorts over the diaper. This also helps keep it in place.

If you can afford it, using a disposable covered by lycra shorts is workable. Change often becasue you will sweat into your diaper and your skin may get irritated if any of the disposable diaper plastic touches your skin. Disposables sometimes feel better because they don't trap the heat as much as plastic pants but they do get hot and they WILL absorb sweat quickly causing the absorbent material to clump up and break apart. This will reduce how much the diaper will absorb. Leaks have happen much easier. When I wear disposables in the summer, I also wear lycra shorts over them. Small leaks are wicked away better and tend not to show through your clothes.

Powders do nothing in the summer heat.

I wear diapers ALL THE TIME. Even when doing physical labor in 90+ degree heat. And it ain't no picnic. There is no good solution.

Growing up my Mom put us in pinned gauze diapers. Most of the time those were covered by pull-on Gerber vinyl panties, but for better ventilation during hot and humid weather Mom also had a lot of snap-on plastic panties.

Of course in bed the snap-on panties leak, but when you are awake and moving, walking or sitting they leak no more than pull-on.

The summer of 1981, when I was getting ready to move to a university dorm, was especially hot and humid in Southern California. I knew I had to learn to put on Attends disposables. To me the poly-plastic of disposables was much hotter than cloth diapers with the snap-panties. Eventually I got used to Attends.

It was late May 1991 when I finally had a washing machine so I could return to gauze diapers at home. In those days nursing homes still used cloth diapers, so Pro-Health made both pull-on and snap-side plastic panties. That was also a hot summer in California and I remember looking forward to weekends when I could wear the snap-side panties with pinned gauze instead of classic poly-plastic disposables.

To me cloth-like disposables are a good choice. I just set the tabs a bit looser to improve ventilation. I hold disposables in place with knit cotton panties. Summers I use older knit panties that have stretched-out. They hold good enough and still provide ventilation.

Best of all for me in summer are my slip-in disposable pads. Those also are held by knit cotton panties, as thin as I can get.

Guest amandalu

Growing up my Mom put us in pinned gauze diapers. Most of the time those were covered by pull-on Gerber vinyl panties, but for better ventilation during hot and humid weather Mom also had a lot of snap-on plastic panties.

Of course in bed the snap-on panties leak, but when you are awake and moving, walking or sitting they leak no more than pull-on.

The summer of 1981, when I was getting ready to move to a university dorm, was especially hot and humid in Southern California. I knew I had to learn to put on Attends disposables. To me the poly-plastic of disposables was much hotter than cloth diapers with the snap-panties. Eventually I got used to Attends.

It was late May 1991 when I finally had a washing machine so I could return to gauze diapers at home. In those days nursing homes still used cloth diapers, so Pro-Health made both pull-on and snap-side plastic panties. That was also a hot summer in California and I remember looking forward to weekends when I could wear the snap-side panties with pinned gauze instead of classic poly-plastic disposables.

To me cloth-like disposables are a good choice. I just set the tabs a bit looser to improve ventilation. I hold disposables in place with knit cotton panties. Summers I use older knit panties that have stretched-out. They hold good enough and still provide ventilation.

Best of all for me in summer are my slip-in disposable pads. Those also are held by knit cotton panties, as thin as I can get.

simple don't wear them if you don't need them

I guess the only thing I have to say is "you get used to it after a while"... I have worked in places with no AC while diapered... it's not the most plesant thing in the universe, but you learn how to deal with it.

Wrong. So very, very wrong.

Wearing cloth and plastic pants in the heat is pure hell. Yea they sure do "absorb" sweat. The plastic pants create an oven which traps heat. Very quickly, within 15-30 minutes you can dampen a think heavy diaper completely with just sweat. The entire diaper will be and feel wet. Condensation actually forms on the inside of your plastic pants. Your whole diaper area will feel "itchy wet." You will never feel dry or comfortable. Chaffing is a big issue so are fungal infections, also known as jock itch - the same thing as athletes foot. Odor can be a big problem.

Different experiences I guess. Cloth works better for me at night in the heat, and during the day too.

Disposable diapers tend to pool sweat along the back side. I hate that. It's like I flooded the back side of my diaper, while everything else is dry or moist. It's the most uncomfortable when trying to sleep. Cloth negates that by absorbing and then distributing sweat.

That said, I don't wear diapers to feel dry for very long either. But cloth for me is much more comfortable when things go from 72 to 78... and then 78 to 82 at night. Different strokes, different folks. Discuss.

Plastic pants are a different story. That is why I suggested just using something like a sock or underwear along the back side.

I myself don't wear plastic pants. If I go cloth (and in the heat, I do whenever possible), I use a disposable diaper underneath. Yeah, it's expensive... but oh boy... it feels amazingly comfortable.

Odor, well, let's just say if odor is a concern, you probably shouldn't be in diapers. :) But seriously, baby oil after each shower, and then baby powder do help control odor (until they're saturated, then there's nothing you can really do about it).

Heat, I wish we had some heat, here in the northeast its like april, april showres and all, I'm still wearing thermals in the middle of june, I didn't even bother with the A/C, in fact I have the heat on now.

Your lucky I think summer is going to pass us by this year, I hate the cold and I love it when it's hot.