LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Patients Rights? Really?

I'm going in for surgery in a couple of weeks. In discussing with my family doctor my fear of infection from a catheter (hospital records show that the last three times I was catheterized I got an infection) he told me about patient rights. When I went to the hospital to discuss this I was disappointed, but not surprised to find that patients don't always have their rights respected. Two nurses and a doctor told me that they couldn't deal with cloth diapers (the only kind I wear) because of the danger of rashes and bed sores. When I explained that the last infection basically left me impotent they stood fast that catheterization was safer than wearing diapers! Bullies! I hope I pee all over them before they get the catheter in me!
Guest LOSTinDiapers

That is awful, but I don't doubt it. Most nurses won't take the time to change disposables, let alone cloth and plastic pants. Plus, what would they do with them once they are soiled. You really don't want the hospital laundry to wash them. I completely agree with your fear of catheters. They are one of the most likely points of infection. The last thing you need post surgery is a UTI. I know that you have problems with wearing disposables. Are there any that you can wear that won't irritate your skin? Maybe you can convince them to diaper you with disposables instead of cloth for the day or two that you will be in the hospital.

I'm going in for surgery in a couple of weeks. In discussing with my family doctor my fear of infection from a catheter (hospital records show that the last three times I was catheterized I got an infection) he told me about patient rights. When I went to the hospital to discuss this I was disappointed, but not surprised to find that patients don't always have their rights respected. Two nurses and a doctor told me that they couldn't deal with cloth diapers (the only kind I wear) because of the danger of rashes and bed sores. When I explained that the last infection basically left me impotent they stood fast that catheterization was safer than wearing diapers! Bullies! I hope I pee all over them before they get the catheter in me!

You, as a patient, have the right to refuse any medical procedure or part thereof, which includes catherisation. You have offered, to the medical staff, an alternative, which they seem unwilling to persue. If I were you, I would stick to my guns and insist that they use diapers or nothing. If they still refuse, I would get my solicitor on to the case.

i think thats the most bullshit ive ever heard the fact is they dont want to deal with the hassle of the clean up from cloth diapers ...But if i were you id go in wearing a cloth diaper and if they keep at it i would tell them if (you want) they dont want to change the cloth diapers then get them to use disposables ...................

Turtlepins, The doctor shouldn't be a problem since he wouldn't be the one expected to deal with changing you. As far as the nurses are concerned they are employees of the hospital. In that role they do what they are told to do and if they don't like it they can quit or suffer the consequences of not doing what they are being paid very well to do. Maybe you should consider escalating this. Just because two peons say no way doesn't make it so. I'd go all the way to the top if necessary and don't be afraid to mention the fact that the if they say no your Lawyer will be the next to deal with it. Anyone can deny your rights if you let them.

Hugs,

Freta

You have the right to refuse any medical procedure ou'd like. I will will repeat that you have the right to refuse ANY medical procedure you'd like. Sounds like they are really violating the Patient Bill of Rights. You are right in that in the hospital, patient's rights are not always respected. I've had my encounter with that on some occasions. threaten a lawsuit and threaten your lawyer. that works. Too bad that i was not familiar with that earlier. Now that I do know my rights, I've had no problems since. the hospital staff lov those who are ignrant and uninformed. they also love it when you don't have a clue. Don't ver count on them to inform you. i've spent many a times in the hospital. i'd b a good resource for information. If you want to know more, just ask. fight and don't give up. some nurses are lazy. If they abuse you out of malice for making them do their job, then they have another thing coming. i've been through it all; patient abuse, patient neglect, and violation of rights. and if you have a disability like MS, you can really deal with some shit.

I'd suggest getting a few copies of the Patient Bill of Rights and taking them to the hospital with you every single time you go. Give a copy to the staff, and always always always keep one on you at all times. Keep it under your pillow. This way, you have something to show them.

you do have the right to refuse any medical procedure you dont want, however it would be wise to call administration to find out if it is in fact in the nurses job description to change diapers of a man who may be able to change his own (are u ambulatory enough to change your own?) some hospitals, especally private ones, will allow adult patients to wear their own diapers, but if they are choosing to wear diapers, and are well enough to change their own, they may request the patient change their own.... just because you dont want a cath, doesn't mean the nurses have it in their job description to change your diaper... so find out first, then you have something to quote them when they say they dont want to...

just because you dont want a cath, doesn't mean the nurses have it in their job description to change your diaper...

I'd bet my bottom dollar that it is in their job description since obviously there are patients who require this and someone has to do it :huh: As to changing someone who can change themselves I'd bet they can refuse that ;) Unless wounds or incisions are in the diaper area the chance of bedsores, rashes, or other complications in a 2 day timeframe are near zero -_- while the risk of a catheter infection is high :o That alone should be the deciding criteria as long as there is no other need for a catheter!

All of us have parts of our jobs that we'd rather not do but we all have to and patient care is the main part of Nursing's job description. I hate having to remind people that since I'm generating part of their paycheck they're working for me whether that suits them or not and if they don't like it they need to quit their job right now :angry: If you do your job then I won't have to say those things and we'll both be a lot happier :D With me you just might get what you give- it's the golden rule and I live by it- so let's be nice and do what we're supposed to, OK? :)

Bettypooh

Look I am a big advocate of cloth diapers but when I go to the hospital, I take disposables.

If you let the nurses know, you can make arrangements for your wife to deal with the diapers.

You can also bring your own diapers. The hospital diapers suck. For my last hospital stay, I took my own Molicares

I do not want hospital associates changing me when my wife is around.

Well I've worked in a hospital for about 2 years as non-medical staff and by far most nurses are extremely lazy. I catch them shopping online constantly when they have a full load of patients to take care of. On to your topic, you are within your rights to say no to the cath, especially as it results in a post-op infection, actually most insurance companies these days will consider refusing payment to the hospital if you get an infection, bed sore etc while in the hospital, its something the US federal gov is stepping down on too really hard. So, diapers should be a completely open option for you, and if they still refuse for whatever reason you can perfectly well ask to speak to their supervisor and request different nurses who are actually concerned about patient care.

Guest LOSTinDiapers

I thought that I should mention that it is most likely not the nurse's duty to change diapers, but that of the PCT/CNA. I know that in the hospital that I work in, the nurses don't do the dirty work. They usually are responsible for administering medication, placing IVs, etc.

You should call the hospital and ask to speak to the hospital administrator or nurse manager. They will usually have the final say on the matter. They really should be willing to let you wear diapers if it means that you won't get an infection post op. Things like that get tracked and uploaded to the CDC and FDA. It can also affect their JCAHO accreditation if they have too many infections. I would mention that to whomever you speak with. Also, when you are in the hospital, you have a case manager/social worker assigned to you. I would speak to him/her about your concerns and have them fight for you, too.

I've been very lucky in my adult life to have never needed to go into hospital (knocks on wood... carefully), but one day I'm sure I'll have to, and I confess to being quite apprehensive about catheters. Can't I just say, "Catheters scare the heck out of me, so PLEASE use a diaper instead."?

but you als have to look at it from the nurses/doctors point of view.. nursing is one of the fields in DIRE need of trained professionals, there is an extreme shortage of trained nurses right now... and given the increasing rate of patients, especially now with all the people rushing to the hospitals screaming swine flu the hospital staff are extremely over worked and under appreciated, constantly be berated by patients with their outrageous requests and their complicated medical conditions... so while to you asking to be in diapers instead of a cath is a perfectly normal request to the nurse that has to change you ever hour or two hours or whatever is mandated in their standard operating procedures this could pose an incredible difficult task to juggle into her already busy workload, especially if the patient is perfectly capable of changing their own diapers, or has a family member who is willing to take over this part of care, but are expecting the hospital staff to do it for them..

sure you are paying to be there and in a perfect world the nurse will be able to put all her stressors behind her the minute she walks into the room, but we dont live in a perfect world, and chances are those nurses and cna's have far to many patients on their schedule with far to many needs.

i'm not saying get the cath and risk the infection, just understand the needs and pressures of hospital staff, especially with this 'pandemic fear' floating around.

Thank you so much for the encouraging comments and ideas. I have contacted my insurance company and they are going to advocate for me, since I'm incontinent and previous medical records show the problems with catheterization. My family doctor is also going to insist that I be allowed to bring my own cloth diapers and plastic pants, along with a diaper pail for nurses to use. My wife will pick up the diaper pail every night and wash diapers to bring back the next morning. So, crossing my fingers!

Just bring disposables. If I wanted to be diapered in disposables and they wouldn't let me, id take my business elsewhere. Hospitals are like any other business. Some are run well and others arent. Id calmly explain to a manager that I need to wear diapers and refuse to be cathed. If they want your $, they will allow you to use diapers.